KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Health Catalyst Employee Reviews about "health catalyst"

Updated Dec 2, 2021

Technical Account Manager

62 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and that is about all that is good about Health Catalyst (HC)(in 118 reviews)
  • "He seems genuine and I believe he wants the best for the team members.(in 100 reviews)
  • "Senior leadership takes feedback very well and seems to do a great job trying to improve the culture.(in 75 reviews)
  • "Great culture, I feel comfortable asking for a one on one discussion with any of the leadership.(in 58 reviews)
  • "Family and work life balance is extremely great here.(in 44 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Health Catalyst and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "health catalyst"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

The Pursuit of Happiness

Dec 2, 2021 - Technical Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remember the final scene of the movie, "The Pursuit of Happyness" where Will Smith/Chris Gardner finds out that he got the job? Google it if you haven't seen it. While walking home Chris Gardner can hardly contain the excitement, relief and joy he feels. It's a beautiful scene. The challenges I faced prior to getting the offer at Health Catalyst don't compare with the struggles Chris Gardner faced. For me the emotion of that final scene in the movie captures the emotion I felt when I found out that I got the job at Health Catalyst. I felt like I had won the lottery. And now, almost 8 years later, I still sincerely feel that way. By far the biggest "Pro" of working at Health Catalyst is the pursuit of happiness. Working in a positive environment you are given adequate or above adequate pay and benefits that enable you to make a good living and comfortably provide for your family. I'm so grateful for the tremendous blessing it is & has been to work at Health Catalyst and provide for my family in this way. When we go to movie nights I imagine that the founders well up with pride when they look out and see all of the people their company has enabled to earn a good living. While good pay and benefits get you past dissatisfaction, Health Catalyst really understands (and practices) the truth that there is a lot more to the pursuit of happiness than pay and benefits. First, the mission. Browse some the case studies on the website if you don't know what the company is about. Even though I work with technology instead of directly with healthcare workers, when I see those case studies I realize that the work we are doing is literally saving lives and helping to turn around the US industry that is perhaps the most in need of being turned around. The mission-driven orientation takes place in the context of a very healthy culture that assumes positive intent while not being naive about our need to fix real mistakes. A culture of striving to listen first, learn and err on the side of team members. When you have 1) the freedom to do your best at interesting work that 2) makes a real difference for people and society in a 3) great culture and 4) get very fairly compensated for it, all while 5) having the encouragement to pursue life balance... now that is a recipe that allows team members to pursue happiness. When these things aren't in place or the opposite of these things are in place, work can be a real drag on your life happiness... even if the compensation is good. Hence, the biggest benefit of working at Health Catalyst is the pursuit of happiness.

Cons

Overall, there is a great culture and tone at Health Catalyst. However, I feel like your experience at Health Catalyst is 50% tied to the (excellent) tone set by the C-levels and 50% tied to the tone of your particular, local, middle management. It's that middle layer that might be a question mark for you. I've been extremely fortunate during my ~8 years to have extremely high-caliber managers. In my mind they've been as good as the C-suite. Just when I think, "Wow, ____ is the best manager I've ever had... it won't get any better than this," my next manager has turned out to be as good or better (at least for what I needed at that stage). However, I know that the experience I've had is not the case for everyone, unfortunately. For some teammates, the high tone set by c-level is mixed with a the local culture set by their direct manager that doesn't quite match up. I purposely turned down two internal job opportunities because I sensed that the local culture/management experience would be a downgrade from what I currently had. The company has been very aware of what I'm describing for some time and has taken steps to improve it and my sense is that things have improved. Also sometimes stuff gets communicated that we can't sustain and we later have to go back and revise. Some examples are: "Unlimited PTO", 6% 401k match, default 5% annual salary increase for solid performing team members, professional services hourly expectations and more than one poorly-communicated major reorg. In each of the above cited examples, a standard was communicated which we found to be unsustainable we got more experience/maturity and in each case we had to trim back what was initially communicated. Those moments have been real downers - for some team members more than others - depending on how you were impacted and how you chose to see the situation. I say, "how you chose to see the situation" because that's crucial. In each of the "downer" examples I cited, there was always another way to look at the situation and appreciate some good coming from it. For example, rather than dwelling on the fact that some of my benefits were trimmed back, I chose to be grateful that I work for a company that was initially a little too ambitious in their generosity. In my mind, that's actually a really important signal that leadership sincerely, really, truly wants to be generous with us. Each of the downers had a silver lining or trade-off that would help to cushion the blow if you were open to considering the big picture. Most of the team members I know that have voluntarily left over one of these "downer" situations was negatively impacted by a poorly executed reorg and decided they wouldn't stand for it. Some of them have later come back. There are other cons of course and there always will be. Individuals will have their local gripes. There will always be opportunities for improvement. As long as leadership continues to humbly and transparently acknowledge all of it, we can work through anything. Even though my writing in the cons section might be as long as what I wrote in the pros section, I strongly believe that the pros of being in the Health Catalyst family HEAVILY outweigh the cons (like, it's not even close).

4 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for this thoughtful, reflective, detailed, and insightful review. I've read it and reread it -- and I love the movie you referenced, and have felt those same emotions many times over the past decade about working at Health Catalyst. I also appreciate your expressed concerns about some longtime teammates leaving Health Catalyst and pursuing more entrepreneurial opportunities at smaller startup companies, and the worry that perhaps we're losing some of that entrepreneurial flair that has helped us grow and be successful. I too worry about this, while also recognizing that different chapters of our company's maturation will require different skills, capabilities, areas of focus and deliverables. In some ways we are permanently changing -- somewhat like a person grows from being a child, to an adolescent, to an adult, and some of the changes that take place are permanent and necessary. But some things can be and should be retained always -- like even as adults, we can still hold on to being child-like in some positive ways -- child-like wonder, child-like humility and goodness, while coupling this with wisdom and responsibility and capability borne of experience. We too are maturing as a company, and must focus on scale, consistency, and sustainability and profitability. These things are often secondary or not a focus at all in early stage companies. But in order to survive and thrive long-term, every company must eventually mature in its focus and achieve lasting capabilities. We are striving to make Health Catalyst "built to last" using Jim Collins' vernacular which is very hard to do. But its worthy of the effort, because this is a special place, with world-class team member engagement and mission-orientation. Let's work together to make the next decade also remarkable and even more impactful because of our ability to keep growing and scaling! Thank you again for being my teammate this past decade, and in the centrally critical role of Tech Director no less! I appreciate all your contributions! Best, Dan

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company with supportive culture and great benefits

Nov 11, 2021 - Finance/Accounting in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Senior leadership really cares about Team Members. Almost every company says that they care about their employees but this is the first company I've been part of that "walks the walk". HCAT emphasizes team members as a core pillar of success to outside investors which gives them more credibility. - Benefits are awesome. There are so many perks for team members to take advantage of. Great health insurance, dental, vision, fitness allowance, home office allowance, mental health support, and much more! 401K match is good, not great but they make up for it with generous equity grants. - Team members care about the company and the ones I have worked with really have been "world-class". - I've been really happy with the pay and benefits and in my case its above market - The company went public a couple years ago which brings additional complexity and pressures but I think the company has held true to its core values for the most part, despite the additional pressures - Flexibility of working from both the home and office has been great - Meaningful mission with best in class product offerings - New HQ office is really nice

Cons

- I'm somewhat new to the company and it feels like there is a little bit of "cliquiness" among groups or with people that have been with the company for a longer period of time. Nothing crazy but I have noticed it. - Its been difficult to get to know other team members outside of my immediate team. I know this is part of being somewhat new and joining during COVID where the majority of team members are working remote. So this isn't unique to Health Catalyst. I come into the office often but most of the time its fairly empty so there are limited opportunities to get to know team members outside of my immediate group.

CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback, and welcome to Health Catalyst! We are so glad to have you here as a teammate and colleague, and I'm grateful to hear that your experience thus far has been positive. I recognize also the challenges that you shared -- we'll work towards all being united together in service of the company's mission, and to enabling group gatherings -- we have a family movie experience and some additional office lunches that should help here. Thanks again! Best, Dan

3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company that has growing pains and is slow to adapt.

Oct 27, 2021 - Analytics Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Health Catalyst has been a nice place to work over the past 3 or so years. When hired I found the compensation to be average and the benefits to be exceptional. There is a nice work-life balance and a calm, methodical approach to work that I appreciate. Senior leadership takes feedback very well and seems to do a great job trying to improve the culture.

Cons

The cons that I see are related to Professional Services (ASO) and seem to be related to recent growing pains. I am actively looking for other jobs due to below-market compensation and lack of opportunity in a red-hot market. Since joining the company I have had my total compensation decrease despite receiving promotions. While there are active conversations to improve pay, there does not seem to be any real sense of urgency leaving me feeling discouraged and frustrated. There is a lack of opportunity to meaningfully develop within the company. Promotions are infrequent and seem to be given on tenure rather than ability to contribute. New hires are frequently brought in at more senior levels despite modest backgrounds. There is a disconnect between hiring and promoting criteria. Further, it feels like there is a lack of opportunity to showcase competencies and talents discussed in the hiring process. This has been a difficult culture to connect with for me and I frequently feel very distant and out of touch with my colleagues (if I work with anyone). I am sure remote work and the pandemic play a significant role here, but there is more to it than that. There has historically been a monoculture in the company. For all of the benefits of that culture, it can be hard to fit in if you come from a different background.

15 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback and for the three years of contributions you've made here at Health Catalyst. I appreciate the positives you shared, and also the challenges you've faced. In today's All Team Member meeting we'll be communicating some important compensation commitments we're making to every team member that should help address some of your very valid concerns. As I've shared in our previous all team member meeting discussions, I'm concerned that we need to make up some ground regarding our base salary competitiveness, and some other components of compensation. We are working hard to improve here, and I hope today's commitments will signal actions that are designed to back up those words. I also appreciate the need to connect with others -- we have made some investments here -- like in family movie experiences, office lunches, etc. to make progress here, as we've been able to, but it's been significantly limited by the pandemic and by our budget constraints. We'll keep working on this. Thank you again for your contributions and for your feedback. Best, Dan

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I appreciate working for this company.

Oct 20, 2021 - Analytics Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve never worked anywhere that cares as deeply for it’s employees as Health Catalyst. This year has been tough for my family and my managers have provided my family with flowers and meals to help us through those times. I enjoy the work I do and I appreciate the opportunities I have to grow within the company. I also appreciate how open and transparent I can be with my managers and fellow teammates.

Cons

My experience overall has been positive. I have no cons.

CEO

Thank you for your review, feedback and kind words. And thank you for more than three years of contributions to the company's mission and success. You are making a huge, positive difference. I'm so grateful to hear that you've felt supported by your managers and teammates during your family's challenges. We want to act as servant-leaders, as an extension of your family, especially in times of need and challenge. We'll strive to continue to extend love to you and to each team member at Health Catalyst, and we'll also strive to listen carefully to the feedback you share with us. Best, Dan

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Feel Blessed to Work With This Company

Sep 17, 2021 - Client Success Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Heath Catalyst is the first company I have worked for in my 30 year career, that puts conscience above profits.... I believe this is why they/we are so successful. They do not shy away from answering the tough questions from employees, and continue to recognize team members both in words and with bonuses. In the midst of this pandemic, they put employee jobs above profits and did not lay off anyone due to economics. It is also so refreshing and rewarding to work with clients who respect our organization because they know that we are accountable to our promises on products. The level of executive communication to employees, keeping us informed on milestones, achievements, setbacks and new developments is truly unprecedented in all the the many Health IT companies I have worked with. This company, and it's leaders, have a heart - and it is rare and special. In an age where many are waking up to see that integrity, community and kindness is truly what matters, this high tech company can teach many other companies how to lead us into the future. Thank you for reading this comment.

Cons

The company salaries are being adjusted to be more in line with industry averages, but the appreciation bonuses, stock bonuses, wellness incentives and company pride far outweigh a few percentage points missing in the salary base. I have not spoken to ONE employee who does not feel appreciative to be an employee of Health Catalyst.

4 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for sharing this review, and for the important work you do each day as a Client Success Manager. Your work is at the center of our company's mission. I appreciate your kind and encouraging words, and am grateful you feel a connection to our mission, and that you feel cared for and listened to by leadership. That is certainly our goal, to show teammates deep respect, care and to listen carefully to what's going well and what we can improve upon. We'll also keep working to make team member compensation strong and above-market. Thank you for your patience on this item, I really appreciate it, through this difficult pandemic. Brighter days are ahead! I'm grateful to be your teammate and colleague! Best, Dan

6. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Sep 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Team members are open, thoughtful, and enthusiastic. Senior Management listens to everyone. Best CEO I have ever worked with. Health Catalyst knows how to help team members feel connected when working virtually. The company's Operating Principles of client-centered Outcomes, team member Ownership, common sense Pragmatic Innovation, and client/employee/management information Transparency are the best I've seen. The technical and strategic personnel make up an outstanding place to work and thrive. Meetings used to tend too run over; this is diminishing as we work to maintain a policy of ending meetings at 5 minutes before the nominal times; for example, 2:00pm to 2:55pm instead of 3pm

Cons

Work can at times be slowed down in the search of consensus and inclusion of a broad group of team members involved in projects. However, leadership strives to keep people on track. Projects are completed well and on time more often than not.

CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback and for your 3+ years of contributions to the company! Thank you also for your kind and generous words towards me. I am grateful to hear of your positive experiences with the culture, with your teammates, the the virtual experience, and for the connection to the Health Catalyst Way. I agree with your assessment that our consensus-oriented approach can sometimes take longer, but am glad to hear that in your experience we're managing this downside fairly effectively. We'll keep striving to be respectful and transparent in what we share with our teammates and fellow owners moving forward, including in tomorrow's all team member meeting. Best, Dan

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A leading company that still walks the talk

Sep 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

When I first joined Health Catalyst, I was quickly impressed by a company that combined respect for employees, passion for its customers, and a truly important mission in improving health care data analytics. Now over 2 years in, I continue to see all those things. I feel valued every day, knowing I am valued as a person, challenged to succeed as a manager, and doing work that really makes a difference. We easily could have backed off some of these ideas during COVID-19, but I feel the adjustments made were small (e.g. temporarily stopping the 401(K) match ) compared to layoffs.

Cons

One of our values is a commitment to transparency, which is double-edged. I love how all team members are listened to no matter what they have to say. On the flip side, at times it feels like we are paying disproportionate attention to outlying negative opinions. For example, there have recently been complaints that our approach to equity and inclusion is too aggressive. I don't understand these complaints given that we know we have more to do in those areas, and we are indeed trying to do more. Also, Health Catalyst has a LOT of products and services, and it's getting confusing for me as a team member to remember what all these are and what problems they are supposed to solve. I appreciate recent steps to reposition our products in a more customer-centric way, which I hope will help.

CEO

Thank you for this review and feedback, and for your contributions to our company's growth and success these past 2+ years! I'm so encouraged to hear of the meaningful and positive connection you feel to our mission, our operating principles, and to your teammates. I appreciate your feedback also about ensuring we have as full a data set as possible when considering team member feedback. We will continue to try to pay attention to all feedback we receive, not under- or over-responding to this feedback, and balancing each piece of feedback with other feedback as well. Our upcoming Gallup survey of all team members is the single best way to gather representative data from all of our team members, and I'd encourage you to please participate in this survey. Thank you also for your feedback about all our products and services. We are working to focus on a few key messages of value to our clients, so I believe we'll get better here moving forward. Thank you again for all your feedback and for your contributions to our company's growth and success. Best, Dan

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful Company, Wonderful Mission

Jul 28, 2021 - Vice President Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve worked at Health Catalyst for roughly two years and I can’t say enough about the generosity of Health Catalyst and our leadership. That’s internally and externally. One of our clients said that you won’t find a nicer company. And as an employee, I certainly feel the same. No company is perfect, but with any issue, leadership listens and focuses on finding the right solution with employees top of mind. I’ve never been more proud to tell people where I work.

Cons

Anything that comes to mind seems so nitpicky that it's not worth stating here.

CEO

Thank you for choosing to join Health Catalyst two years ago, for your centrally important contributions to our success, working in the growth organization, and for sharing the positives of your experience thus far. We'll work hard to live up to these positives in the months and years ahead! Best, Dan

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

A Unique Organization

Jul 19, 2021 - Senior Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for Health Catalyst for several years. I had worked at a Fortune 500 company before that whose culture was less than ideal. I saw how being a publicly traded company could warp its perception of itself as a slave to the judgment of Wall Street analysts. Propping up the company's reputation with that audience trumped all other considerations. It created a truly toxic culture where instead of pushing hard for the right things for the company and for our clients, everyone was just trying to survive. So, as Health Catalyst went public, I braced myself for what I had assumed would be a similar inevitable trajectory downward. But to my delight and grateful surprise, our company's leadership has been able to maintain and even strengthen their focus on supporting and respecting all Health Catalyst team members as their highest priority. We're two years into our history now as a public company and we're still true to our principles. We still put people first. This maintains the most empowering and wonderful company culture of any that I've ever experienced, by far. Such an investment in us employees (or "team members" as leadership refers to us) makes us want to reciprocate with our best performance every day. It makes us want to continue to treat our clients with the greatest respect and give them the best experience possible. When our leadership tells us to be "owners," it's not just talk. We feel a sense of ownership and pride in our company and in what we do, because it's clear by their actions that our leaders trust us.

Cons

Nothing is perfect. There will always be opportunities to improve. The great thing at Health Catalyst is that these imperfections are usually isolated, and leadership's dedication to making decisions based on sound principles and thorough data ensures that such opportunities will be discovered and improved.

CEO

Thank you for choosing to come to Health Catalyst and to stay for nearly a decade -- how fortunate we have been to benefit from your expertise and your dedication over those many years! Your words are very meaningful to me -- I have felt such a strong and abiding desire for Health Catalyst to continue to live up to its mission, it cultural attributes and operating principles, always, but specifically as we made the transition these past few years to being a publicly traded company. Every company faces challenges that test its resolve to remain true to its values. We at Health Catalyst are no different, and we have not been perfect in our response. But certainly our desire has been to remain true to those principles and values, and it's worth the continued focus and effort to enable this to continue in the months and years ahead, absolutely. Thank you again for your encouraging words, and for your many years of dedication and contribution -- you have made a real difference at our company! Best, Dan

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

The grass really was greener elsewhere

Aug 25, 2021 - Analytics Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people there are amazing. Nearly everyone is nice, helpful, and a team player. The executive team is transparent and is led by a CEO that truly cares about each team member and strives to be understanding. They try to promote a work/life balance and flexible PTO.

Cons

The COVID-19 pandemic negatively affected the employee experience at Health Catalyst. Promotions and raises were put on hold, 401(k) match was paused and ultimately reduced, and bonuses were dismal with the decision to base them off pre-COVID standards. Though Health Catalyst tried to be accommodating to workers that had to watch their kids during the shutdown, they consequently diverted more work to those that either do not have kids or were in a situation where they could still work throughout the day. Achieving a work/life balance is encouraged. However, there were many times (even before the pandemic) where the demands of work got to a point where a balance could not be achieved. In my situation, there were many weeks where I worked well above 40 or 50 hours and still had some managers discourage time off to meet outrageous deadlines. Despite these conditions, Health Catalyst reassured their employees by saying it could always be worse and pointed to companies that were severely struggling due to the pandemic. They conveniently did not talk about companies that were still excelling and experiencing great years either through circumstance or adaptation. Nearly all of Health Catalyst's post-IPO policies have been to protect their bottom line. They still proclaim that their employees are their top priority, but when backed into a corner, cuts had to be made to keep promises to investors. The only reassurance given were vague promises to make up for these cuts once the bottom line improved to a higher level without any explanation of what this level needed to be. To exacerbate these issues, there is a cult-like attitude from many of the Health Catalyst employees. Perhaps these apologists benefitted from the years of plenty before the IPO or have found themselves by luck or connections in a good spot. Either way, these employees quickly jump to the defense of Health Catalyst when legitimate concerns are raised and shower the C-suite with praise for these tough decisions. Dan, the CEO, does try to address and take seriously every concern an employee raises, but those that defend every decision of Health Catalyst are persistent and strive to negate or disregard their fellow teammates' concerns. Health Catalyst often uses leveling and compensation to attract employees with experience elsewhere while current employees are expected to only level up every few years. This results in new hires coming in and being compensated more than current employees with similar backgrounds and experience. Health Catalyst does claim to promote from within, but omits the fact that many of these promotions are given to employees that have only been with Health Catalyst for a short period of time. Complaints around this are always met with an assurance that every employee is compensated and leveled appropriately. In my situation, the first offer outside of Health Catalyst amounted to over a 35% cash raise or 20% when you look at total compensation. In response to this, Health Catalyst offered no apology or acknowledgement of their miscalculation of my compensation.

8 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your review and feedback, and I'm glad to hear that you are happy in the new role that you've pursued. I apologize for the delay in providing a response to you. Let me address some of the items you mentioned, that applied more at a company level. First, I'm glad to hear of your positive experiences with the people at Health Catalyst, and I appreciate your kind words directed towards me. I'm also glad to hear that the flexibility was a positive for you. I also wanted to acknowledge, and apologize, that we have gotten behind as it relates to the base salary component of compensation, in a number of roles at Health Catalyst, over the past year. This clearly was the case in your situation, and I regret that this occurred in your case, as I regret it in every other case at Health Catalyst. I also want to acknowledge, as we have done many times in all team member meeting discussions, that we do have financial constraints within which we need to operate in order to keep the commitments we've made to public market investors. These constraints are often more significant than what some earlier-stage companies may face, where there is not a near- or ever mid-term expectation for profitability. But eventually, every company that will survive, must become self sustaining financially, and as such, this needs to be a foundational objective for every company that seeks to be "built to last" and not just "built to flip." Being built to last is certainly our ambition at Health Catatlyst, which made the company's achievement of positive Adjusted-EBITDA in Q2 of 2021 such a meaningful milestone. What we've committed to do is to share as much as we can, as soon as we can, from a compensation perspective, as we succeed as a company. In tomorrow's all team member meeting we will be sharing specific actions and timelines associated with this sharing, including in terms of increases to base salaries, spot bonuses, companywide bonus performance, and annual equity grants. I'm grateful we're in a position to take these actions which will positively impact every team member, but I regret that we weren't able to put these things in place soon enough for you to also benefit from them. Having a longer-term mindset and commitment in both directions is a foundational element that we talk a lot about at Health Catalyst, and that longer-term approach doesn't always work for every team member, which is understandable. We've also strengthened our ability to recognize extraordinary individual performance, and to have ways of approaching unique situations with more flexibility. Here again, I'm glad we've made progress here, but I regret we had not made enough progress soon enough for this to directly benefit you while you were at Health Catalyst. At any rate, I'm grateful for the opportunity to learn from your experience and then to strive to continuously improve. And I'm happy that you're thriving in your new role. Best, Dan

Viewing 1 - 10 of 267 Reviews