Health Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Health Fitness President & CEO Paul Lotharius
Paul Lotharius

Pros
  • Work-life balance: flexible scheduling, a generous amount of PTO, work-from-home options are very nice (in 6 reviews)

• HealthFitness hires great people and pay is reasonable (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"9+ years and counting!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been at HealthFitness for more than 9 years and counting. As with any company and position there are challenging days but I have a great deal of respect for my direct manager and the people I work with everyday. The associates are passionate about doing their best every day to exceed expectations.

I have proved myself and the quality of my work through the years and been acknowledged through promotions and significant merit increases. I also enjoy a great deal of flexibility to work from home and flex my hours to accommodate life with two small children.

Cons

The company has grown rapidly in the 9 years I have been there and as a result have experienced some growing pains. Management is aware of the pains and over the last year has taken a lot of steps to address and fix the problems. As a result, I am optimistic about another great 9+ years with HealthFitness.

2. "Applications Developer"

I worked at Health Fitness full-time

Pros

Worked in the Dallas office - great group of people.

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind

3. "Overall positive place to work"

Current Employee - Aquatics Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Aquatics Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The aquatic staff is great and the facility is fantastic. The members/students/alumni are really interesting!

Cons

There are limited professional development opportunities, so you need to create your own. The pay is not enough for the experience level and the amount of work that is completed.

Advice to Management

Have a professional development plan in place for each full time staff. And re-visit the Health Fitness contract, the staff really don't get paid enough to keep up with the cost of living in Boston.

5. "On Call Screener"

Current Employee - On Call Screener
    Current Employee - On Call Screener

I have been working at Health Fitness (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule and training.

Cons

Down time in summer time

6. "Health fitness professional"

Former Employee - Health Ftiness Professional
    Former Employee - Health Ftiness Professional

I worked at Health Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the contract between HealthFitness and business but, I loved how collaborative my HealthFitness team was with a Health Insurance company's Wellness Department. If my husband didn't relocate to a different city I would have never left this company. HealthFitness hires great people and pay is reasonable.

Cons

Hard to progress your career in the company on the Fitness Management side. they do online trainings but, not to many one-one training opportunities to learn how to progress. Also, since they contract with businesses there might come a time when the business doesn't renew their original contract and go with a cheaper company. HealthFitness will do their best to find you a new job but that doesn't always work out.

Advice to Management

Provide more corporate one on one training sessions to all employees who want to progress and grow with the company. Also, provide more ways for different sites to interact with each other more often in person.

7. "Program Manager"

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are opportunities if you are willing to relocate

Cons

Salary is not consistent with others in the same position/level.

8. "good part time job"

I have been working at Health Fitness part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great manager, good company my direct manager is the reason I have stayed, works with your schedule.

Cons

there is no real advancement

Advice to Management

improve the computer systems for easier checkout, ie using square.

9. "On screen health screener"

Pros

Flexible and pay rate matched education.

Cons

As more people are hired the likely hood of receiving work has decrease.

10. "Rewarding but not without cons"

Current Employee - Health Fitness Professional
    Current Employee - Health Fitness Professional

I have been working at Health Fitness full-time

Pros

Rewarding work, they pay for professional development which is huge. Good benefits, provide 401k match although it could be better. Not a whole lot of direct oversight at the site level.

Cons

Low pay. Feel that you are mostly forgotten about by corporate while working at your site. Website and backend is very dated although word is it will EVENTUALLY be revamped. Expected to offer intensive programs that make the company more money but provide little to no compensation.

11. "Former employee"

I worked at Health Fitness full-time

Pros

Ability to be creative at select accounts; great opportunity for growth with Welltok partnership and platform developments being released later in 2017. Also great growth opportunities with mid-size business market penetration and new products in 2017.

Cons

Organization grew quickly from 2012 - 2015 and promised a new health management platform to many key clients. While Trustmark (parent company) funded technological developments over the past several years and many resources were provided towards this effort, it was not enough to deliver what the customer wanted, resulting in attrition and company downsizing. Pay is low in corporate roles when compared to competitors and similar companies.

Advice to Management

Increase recognition for the hard work that various divisions and contributors put forth in account wins and renewals with internal communications and "attaboys." Increase/leverage small wins/product development steps obtained, etc.towards overall outcome to reduce associate frustration in understanding the bigger picture and feeling they are all part of one team.