Health Management Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Health Management Associates President, CEO, and Director Gary D. Newsome
Gary D. Newsome

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fellow employees are great, middle management tries hard, upper management only cares about their bonuses"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winder, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winder, GA

Pros

Coworkers are wonderful and most truly care about taking good care of the patients. Variety of a la carte benefits are offered.

Cons

Corporate is cheap
    Too many silly little rules that make patient care impossible
    Always short staffed because people get frustrated with policies and quit
    Ugly surroundings
    Cater to doctors but don't care about the staff
    Old equipment, have to make due

Advice to Management

Instead of giving management bonuses, spend the money on really fixing problems at the patient care level. Stop making us cater to the frequent flyers and drug seekers, they won't pay their bill anyway!

"This company has no appreciation or respect for their employees, management is terrible."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL

Pros

I like my coworkers, we have a great group of hardworking, conscientious people who really care about doing a good job. Most of the doctors are pretty great as well.

Cons

The directors and upper management staff demonstrate no concern or appreciation for their employees. They constantly push for more and more profit and seem to only care about making money for themselves and getting big bonuses. Patients are basically a commodity to the nonclinical managers at HMA to be used as a source of revenue. The only priority at this "health management" company is money! There is a high turnover of employees for good reason.

Advice to Management

I would ask for management to take a good look at their priorities and stop to consider the employees who work very hard but get treated so badly! Stop touting that "Getting 2 Great" slogan and actually do right by your employees for a change! Stop giving huge bonuses to managers who only look good because of someone else's work.

"Do not work here if you can help it"

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time

Pros

Will take new grads
    70 hospitals nationwide and opportunities to transfer

Cons

Unloyal to employees
    Poor patient care/reputation
    Dangerously low staffing levels
    High turnover
    Do not incentivize education opportunities

Advice to Management

Invest in the associates and the future. No quarter to quarter numbers and promotions for upper management. Practice what you preach

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Registration in Amory, MS
    Current Employee - Registration in Amory, MS

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with some really great people in some of the departments. I love working with patients and taking care of their needs.

Cons

This hospital is run by management who care about the all mighty dollar. My job title is one title description, however I work 4 different jobs for the price of one. I am doing jobs that nurses should be doing and not registration. Upper management does not care about their employees-we work with poor equipment that only works half the time, one raise in the 4 years I have been here, and the employees who do hard a job do not get recognized. They changed our ins plan from cigna, which was decent, to humana where premiums went up, then they tell us to take the lesser plan because we will save money, but if you look at it, by doing so, you will benefiting them because HMA is out less money on deductibles and oop expense. Hours are constantly being cut, but they expect you to do a 40-50 hour week job in 32 hours or so which leave employees disgruntled ergo effects patient care. We have lost many good and valuable employees because of policy changes, poor management, and no offering of competitive wages. I was so proud when I first started to work for a HMA hospital, but when I here patients complain of the care and the quality of our hospital, I just hang my head.

Advice to Management

The programs upper management creates like getting to great, actually follow that slogan. Hire management that cares and listens to employee input. Invest in some new equipment and tell your employees what a good job they are doing. I know if I was told every now and then what a great job I was doing or I meant something to this company, doing 4 jobs for the price of one and the lack of a raise wouldn't hurt so bad. Invest, invest, invest....Invest in your employees and hospital to give the best service possibe then you would see more productivity out of your employees and happier patients. Give us an incentive to want to come to work and actually happy to be here....

"Once proud Employee."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful building on exterior. Most co-workers hard working.

Cons

Ugly, ruthless management only concerned with how well they look. The little guy has no importance. No loyalty to staff. Frequent turnover. Little direction, high expectations. They ask the impossible of employees.
    The almighty dollar is more important than quality care. Quantity versus quality. $$$$$$

Advice to Management

Recognize quality workers who want nothing but to do a good job.

"Broken promises"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of good people work there

Cons

They make a lot of promises they don't keep. Employees can work there for years without getting a raise. No one takes ownership. The employees and doctors aren't important to the company. They make promises to doctors to get them to sign contracts and then do not follow through.

Advice to Management

Wake up a realize that your employees are your business. If you treat employees good, they'll treat your patients good. You'll never get better patient or employee satisfaction scores until you learn to care about the people.

"Poor experience in every way"

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Besides the fact that I am resigning? Generally, the worker bee level employees are very good to work with and care about each other. Because there are a lot of hospitals run by them, you can transfer - IF they feel like letting you.

Cons

Not enough room or time to give a complete report, but the biggest con is that the sole purpose for this company's existence is to make money, hand over fist. Fortune 500 Company where money matters, and corners are cut at the patient level so the stock stays profitable and the executives look good on paper. Having also been a patient, care was frequently non-existent and/or unsafe due to extremely poor staffing. Department directors found out they were being fired by finding an advertisement online for their position. This company has absolutely NO morals or ethics. Insurance is expensive and horrible. Retirement plan is a joke.

Advice to Management

Take a college level ethics course, pay attention in class and learn a few new things, and quit bullying and abusing your employees. Hopefully Community Health Systems will come in and clean house. Maybe the takeover will be a positive thing for employees.

"Poorly managed at every level."

Pros

None. Don't waste your skills with them.

Cons

Terrible planning and budgeting. Ridiculous information systems. They cannot access the data needed to make straightforward business decisions. When they fail to meet their ludicrous budgets they "solve" the problem by laying off staff-- but they never seem to lay off the bozos that budgeted badly in the first place.

"A ship without a rudder."

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's like living with abusive parents. One minute they are loving you, the next beating you to a pulp.

Cons

This company was akin to 1980s Russia, the tanks are rusting in the street.

Advice to Management

Orange is the new black.

"Stay far, far away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, SC

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Local employees are wonderful, was just bought out by CHS, community health systems. Managers are pretty good. The nurse managers need to retire, been doing it too long. The other managers are still pretty good.

Cons

Cutting hours, not enough staff in any department. CEO is very strange and negative. CFO not in touch with needs. Pay is not great either. Don't value employees.