Health Net Reviews in Rancho Cordova, CA | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Health Net President, CEO, and Director Jay M. Gellert
Jay M. Gellert

Pros
  • Good work life balance, great people, everyone is like family, good benefits, your not micro-managed (in 21 reviews)

• Great co-workers, good benefits, some telecommuting allowed (in 28 reviews)

Cons

"Success is not celebrated, they want employees to be sheep"

Former Employee - Senior Multimedia Designer in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Multimedia Designer in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Health Net full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health Net does offer a VERY competitive salary. For the position of multimedia specialist I was paid very well.

Cons

The company paid their upper level managers, CEO etc. very well, with enormous bonuses for no reason. I saw a lot of frivolous spending & departments that failed but management always punished the best employees.

Don't expect common sense from this place, don't have your own ideas or innovative solutions. They want Sheep - employees to shut up and listen!

Doesn't matter if you are the smartest, most efficient, hardworking or talented employee in your department. If you are better than your manager, you will get canned.

If you are sexually harassed and have documentation, don't expect HR to do anything about it. In fact, don't tell anyone or you will get canned.

Advice to Management

Have some common sense. Give bonuses to the people who deserve it and not just to managers. Listen to your staff. Have staff reviews of managers themselves. Reward people fairly.

2. "Good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Senior IT Security Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Security Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Health Net full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Made lifetime friends, the skills that I learned helped me get a better job within the public sector.

Cons

Information Technology was racist, misogynist and homophobic. Very few diversity with limited blacks, hispanics and asians. Females have to fight to get promoted and paid fair. Outsourcing model is not it's best and Health Net only cares about making a profit and is no longer there for its customers or employees. Benefits are good but employees have to pay top dollar for them (not quite a benefit but an expense).

Advice to Management

Stop encouraging racist behavior, misogynist attitudes and bring more diversity to your organization. Incorporate a zero nepotism policy to weed out the bad hiring that is occurring with 'white' boys club.

"Used to be a great company before a change in vision to head towards a train wreck that will be a catastrophic failure!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

Good benefits, friendly Associate Service Center.

Cons

Everyone is probably getting re-badged or laid off. Managers promote incompetence and failure, and do not promote hard work and dedication because the incompetent people have learned to push the hard workers out of their way by spreading false rumors to destroy reputations so they look better themselves. The new outsourcing model to outsource everything to a company that isn't even built out yet is ridicuous. They have no idea what they are doing and there is no real plans for taking over the work.

Advice to Management

OE should do a review of managers, directors, and above that have been brought in from the outside over the last 14 months. They should review merit increases for favoritism for the good ol boys club.

"Time for new new management"

Current Employee - ITG Associate in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - ITG Associate in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

Good benefits, before recent management decisions there was good team work.

Cons

Lacking senior management, poor ITG planning. Failed projects.
    Our HN One project was a MAJOR fiasco costing the company millions with NO net plus to the company and abandoned before completion. Our infrastructure is running on outdated systems and outdated thinking regarding the systems. We have a CEO with no vision or understanding that senior management bonuses for axing employees is not really good for the morale of the company and stock holders.
    The lack of vision and proper management has lead to the outsourcing and loss of valuable ITG associates leading to a loss of a knowledge base that will take a long time to recover from.

Advice to Management

Quit, find knowledgeable people and let them do their job.

"The employee comes last."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Health Net full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. There's really not much else to say that's good about this company. It was fun keeping track of who was in charge of this sinking ship from week to week.

Cons

Everything and I mean everything comes before the employee. We were kept in the dark, decisions were made without input and then changed again and again.

Advice to Management

Merge with United Health Care and get it done

"I won't miss it."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Health Net full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers are wonderful people.

Cons

The systems never work, management doesn't know much about the products, too much favoritism and unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees than your bonus and they might hate it less.

8. "Claims Examiner I"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Health Net full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of room to move around within the company.

Cons

There's no union so mandatory overtime is out of control. Has been ongoing for years (has not gone away yet). Too much micromanagement. Management is disorganized at times. Structure needs work.

Advice to Management

Need to put more time into planning when you know changes are coming to avoid "winging it" all the time. Issues should be dealt with as they come up and not later on down the line. Both issues put unnecessary stress on employees.

9. "Claims analyst"

Former Employee - Coordination of Benefits in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Coordination of Benefits in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

It's a job that paid me. Not much on the pro side unfortunately.

Cons

I was hired for a claims position. 2 weeks into training was told I wouldn't be in claims but coordination of benefits. Was in cob for a month and was told I'm going back to claims.

Advice to Management

Get organized and communicate!! Worst company I've worked for by far. Get it together management.

"Decent Company -- Could Use Improvement"

Current Employee - Engineer in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

The benefits are great. The people are nice.

Cons

There are some incompetent managers, and poor performance is tolerated. Nobody ever gets fired -- even if they don't come to work.

Advice to Management

There are some hard workers at the company. Find a way to reward and recognize them. It seems that there is no difference whether an employee works 20 solid hours a week or 60 solid hours. Also, outsourcing the I.T. shop to save 25% is ridiculous when you can save the quality employees by cutting out 10 to 15% of the lowest performers and renegotiating some of the large contracts. The bottom 10 to 15% aren't providing much value anyway.

11. "Difficult place to work right now. Company struggling financially. Lots of layoffs and a loss of company pride."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

People are great -- supportive, friendly. They pay pretty well to get you in the door

Cons

They tease you with the promise of managment incentive bonuses, but two out of the last six years have paid nothing. Even though my performance is always rated Excellent, I've never received the % bonus for my level. There's always some excuse -- the plan was underfunded, the money went to another business unit or the company didn't meet its goals. After awhile that rhetoric gets old.

Advice to Management

May be time to jettison Gellert as CEO but somehow the board doesn't have the will to do it.