Health Net Reviews in Rancho Cordova, CA | Glassdoor

3.8
Health Net President, CEO, and Director Jay M. Gellert
Jay M. Gellert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance, great people, everyone is like family, good benefits, your not micro-managed (in 23 reviews)

• Great working environment and good benefits (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not all on the same page (in 13 reviews)

• No accountability at senior management level; getting promoted is difficult (in 11 reviews)

"Success is not celebrated, they want employees to be sheep"

Former Employee - Senior Multimedia Designer in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Multimedia Designer in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Health Net full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health Net does offer a VERY competitive salary. For the position of multimedia specialist I was paid very well.

Cons

The company paid their upper level managers, CEO etc. very well, with enormous bonuses for no reason. I saw a lot of frivolous spending & departments that failed but management always punished the best employees.

Don't expect common sense from this place, don't have your own ideas or innovative solutions. They want Sheep - employees to shut up and listen!

Doesn't matter if you are the smartest, most efficient, hardworking or talented employee in your department. If you are better than your manager, you will get canned.

If you are sexually harassed and have documentation, don't expect HR to do anything about it. In fact, don't tell anyone or you will get canned.

Advice to Management

Have some common sense. Give bonuses to the people who deserve it and not just to managers. Listen to your staff. Have staff reviews of managers themselves. Reward people fairly.

2. "Good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Senior IT Security Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Security Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Health Net full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Made lifetime friends, the skills that I learned helped me get a better job within the public sector.

Cons

Information Technology was racist, misogynist and homophobic. Very few diversity with limited blacks, hispanics and asians. Females have to fight to get promoted and paid fair. Outsourcing model is not it's best and Health Net only cares about making a profit and is no longer there for its customers or employees. Benefits are good but employees have to pay top dollar for them (not quite a benefit but an expense).

Advice to Management

Stop encouraging racist behavior, misogynist attitudes and bring more diversity to your organization. Incorporate a zero nepotism policy to weed out the bad hiring that is occurring with 'white' boys club.

"Used to be a great company before a change in vision to head towards a train wreck that will be a catastrophic failure!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

Good benefits, friendly Associate Service Center.

Cons

Everyone is probably getting re-badged or laid off. Managers promote incompetence and failure, and do not promote hard work and dedication because the incompetent people have learned to push the hard workers out of their way by spreading false rumors to destroy reputations so they look better themselves. The new outsourcing model to outsource everything to a company that isn't even built out yet is ridicuous. They have no idea what they are doing and there is no real plans for taking over the work.

Advice to Management

OE should do a review of managers, directors, and above that have been brought in from the outside over the last 14 months. They should review merit increases for favoritism for the good ol boys club.

"Time for new new management"

Current Employee - ITG Associate in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - ITG Associate in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

Good benefits, before recent management decisions there was good team work.

Cons

Lacking senior management, poor ITG planning. Failed projects.
    Our HN One project was a MAJOR fiasco costing the company millions with NO net plus to the company and abandoned before completion. Our infrastructure is running on outdated systems and outdated thinking regarding the systems. We have a CEO with no vision or understanding that senior management bonuses for axing employees is not really good for the morale of the company and stock holders.
    The lack of vision and proper management has lead to the outsourcing and loss of valuable ITG associates leading to a loss of a knowledge base that will take a long time to recover from.

Advice to Management

Quit, find knowledgeable people and let them do their job.

"The employee comes last."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Health Net full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. There's really not much else to say that's good about this company. It was fun keeping track of who was in charge of this sinking ship from week to week.

Cons

Everything and I mean everything comes before the employee. We were kept in the dark, decisions were made without input and then changed again and again.

Advice to Management

Merge with United Health Care and get it done

"I won't miss it."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Health Net full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers are wonderful people.

Cons

The systems never work, management doesn't know much about the products, too much favoritism and unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees than your bonus and they might hate it less.

7. "Claims Examiner I"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Health Net full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of room to move around within the company.

Cons

There's no union so mandatory overtime is out of control. Has been ongoing for years (has not gone away yet). Too much micromanagement. Management is disorganized at times. Structure needs work.

Advice to Management

Need to put more time into planning when you know changes are coming to avoid "winging it" all the time. Issues should be dealt with as they come up and not later on down the line. Both issues put unnecessary stress on employees.

8. "Claims analyst"

Former Employee - Coordination of Benefits in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Coordination of Benefits in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

It's a job that paid me. Not much on the pro side unfortunately.

Cons

I was hired for a claims position. 2 weeks into training was told I wouldn't be in claims but coordination of benefits. Was in cob for a month and was told I'm going back to claims.

Advice to Management

Get organized and communicate!! Worst company I've worked for by far. Get it together management.

"Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Health Net full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary and benefits. Option to telecommute. Some people in select departments are extremely passionate about helping our members receive quality care and empowering our providers.

Cons

Many employees have low morale due to the merger and come to work everyday with a poor attitude which overflows to others. Training for new hires is nonexistent, which leads to inefficiency and low quality work. It takes forever to gain access to requisite software and systems to do your job. Network issues are rampant and it takes forever for IT to fix them. Some departments do not believe in data integrity and validation, so when you request data and reports from them, you have to check their work. When you find an issue or error in their work they give you attitude and refuse to correct their ways. These situations are not escalated because people would rather avoid conflict than change the system for the better. Lots of employees in the Sacramento office are incredibly unfriendly and keep to themselves, which makes the experience unpleasant when a person's entire department is at another location.

Advice to Management

Ensure that new hires receive appropriate training and access to key software/systems early on so they can hit the ground running. Take feedback about employees' poor attitudes seriously - instead of brushing it under the rug, try to understand why employees find some departments difficult to work with.

10. "CSR II"

Current Employee - CSR2 in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - CSR2 in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Health Net full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good managers and training

Cons

working for this company I have observed that the recognition for long time workings is not valued or appreciated, like I i said good training so learn as much as you can and take that knowledge to better yourself and that new company. Pay is not great. It is the LOWEST PAID Healthcare PLAN in Rancho Cordova/Sacramento. Get the knowledge and apply at a better company . No real intensives to stay with the company .. its a shame in working for 10years and your just making 40,000.00 per year... thats is unheard of .

Advice to Management

Recognized good employees and give them the necessary honor that is due them or you will loose them. l