Health Net Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Health Net President, CEO, and Director Jay M. Gellert
Jay M. Gellert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance, great people, everyone is like family, good benefits, your not micro-managed (in 23 reviews)

• Great co-workers, good benefits, some telecommuting allowed (in 30 reviews)

1. "Used to be great"

I worked at Health Net full-time

Pros

It was a great place to work before the acquisition

Cons

New management just doesn't cut it

2. "It may have changed"

I worked at Health Net full-time

Pros

Overtime is always open to you

Cons

Low pay, bad management, training doesn't help

"Thumbs Down...Now"

Former Employee - Mid-management
    Former Employee - Mid-management

I worked at Health Net full-time

Pros

There were plenty of positive things to say prior to 2016. Now, it's a struggle to find any positive feedback.

Cons

Centene purchased this company and changed the morale and culture. Their HQ is in Missouri and they are not open to new ideas or new approaches to processes or standards. Great long term employees forced out instead of looking at their value.

Advice to Management

This is not 1955. Someone at the top set standards that could not evolve and then everyone in management was hypnotized. Open your eyes and your minds and show value in diversity and different/new ways of thinking.

"Don't work for this company, especially this office!"

Former Employee - Data Support Specialist in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Data Support Specialist in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Health Net full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office was close to my house

Cons

I thought this company (formally Health Net) would be a good place to work, boy was I wrong! I really wish I had listened to my gut instincts and other reviews here on Indeed before I accepted this position. Working here was one of the worst experiences in my life. The work is hard, boring and not at all rewarding. Seriously, this job is very mentally difficult and they are strict about everything you do! The people here are not nice and can be rude and nasty if you have a question or need help, especially the leads and supervisors. I heard this company was bought out by another company (now Centene) and are moving most their jobs out of state. So I question if the Huntington Beach office will be around that much longer. You have been warned!

Advice to Management

Stop being so rude and nasty, you could risk getting sued!

5. "Mediocre at best"

Current Contractor - Accounting & Appointing Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Contractor - Accounting & Appointing Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Health Net as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

As a veteran I must say the best thing about this job is that I get to help other vets in getting quality care. After all I'm not getting any younger so I would expect the same. The job is not hard at all. Simply appoint and call the vet to confirm.

Cons

Where do I even start. I've only been for 3 months and cant stand it. The work is very monotonous, supervisors and team leads don't have a clue on how to delegate work nor do they even understand how to run their teams. The site is pretty much located in the hood not to mention a majority of the employees are from there and bring that pathetic mentality(I'm African American btw). This explains the incredibly high turnover rate as well as the negativity here at Centene. Everyday its a show of complete incompetence and ignorance, I don't understand how some of these folks still have a job here. For those that actually do their work and not just the bare minimum, are constantly ridiculed simply for doing their job while others that sit around talking about drama are somehow praised and rewarded. Ridiculous yes I know, but I'm only telling you what I've experienced so far here. If you have an education and a few skills, this isn't the place for you. Trust me you'd be better off collecting unemployment than working here.

Advice to Management

The best advice I can give is stop hiring ignorant ghetto people. Take the time to review and employ candidates that actually hold an education and maybe the turnover rate will follow . I cant tell you how many times I've seen supervisors getting help from reps. If you want to play the favorite card, at least let it be with those who actually exceed expectations and reward them accordingly. Its really not difficult... at all.

"Think twice"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Health Net full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked w/some really smart and wonderful people.

Cons

Since being bought out by Centene the company is even worse to work for. You have soooo many "managers" that I'm still trying to figure out how they're so incompetent or still working there. Centene likes to pay you a little and work you to death.

"PoorPlace to Work"

Former Employee - CSR2 in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - CSR2 in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Health Net full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to obtain Health insurance experience that led to a better job

Cons

Management and Lack of support from leadership

Advice to Management

Don't show so much favoritism

"Used to be a great place before Centene"

Former Employee - Finance Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Health Net full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This used to be a great company to work for. Management was good, salaries were good. Things were going great before Centene took over.

Cons

Since the Centene merger, many departments are getting laid off and replaced by new people in the st.louis office. The Woodland Hills offices will be moved up north in the next 4 years.

Advice to Management

The merger was good for the executives who walked away with millions in their pockets. But hundreds of people have lost their jobs and many many people will lose their jobs in the coming years. It's very sad.

9. "Dysfunctional work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Health Net full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As much overtime as you want

Cons

Forced overtime, you can rarely leave on time, absolutely stupid processes in appeal department

Advice to Management

All your employees are watching tv at work! Pay attention to what's happening in your department. Hope Centene brings some management skills.

10. "Quality Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Health Net full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable everyday commuting and telecommute
    Outside Quality and HEDIS team people were very friendly and great to project with

Cons

leadership without serving the purpose, deceptive directors, VP, no growth within the system

Advice to Management

Need to get rid of cancers people and their tunnel vision
    Allow new and risk taker create the path for others who believe in growth and human capital take the lead.