Health Partners Plans Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William George

1. "Good company, but the IS Department is in turmoil."

Current Employee - Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The CEO is great - inspirational, driven, humorous, caring. The environment is very diverse, inclusive, friendly. The benefits are good. Lots of departments allow working from home. Flexible work hours.

Cons

The current effort to modernize and reorganize the IS department has lead to much confusion, frustration, and non-sensible operations. After a year, the effort seems like it is failing.

Advice to Management

Someone needs to get a better handle on how to achieve a successful IS transition, before it's too late.

2. "Wasted Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, Close to pubic transportation, Helps the community

Cons

Incompetent management, unprofessional, outdated systems

Advice to Management

Middle Management is ruining the company if upper management/ HR/ Bill George cares about the company they will consider the negative reviews on this site. The CEO promotes a welcoming and positive work environment that respects and care about its employees, unfortunately middle management undermines these values every day. The current management is incompetent is and dismisses professional competent opinions with prejudice. The employee is then targeted and either resigns or is terminated. I have seen several people come to HPP in both hourly and salaried positions with great ideas to improve the company but unfortunately middle management is resistant to change and dislikes being held accountable. Again, the employee is then targeted and either resigns or is terminated. Promotions are based on nepotism, friendship and tenure instead of qualifications, abilities, work ethics and competencies which directly relates to the poor management and efficiency of the company as whole. The management is best described as unprofessional rarely competent thugs. The outdated systems and the lack of clear policies in regards to actual work create errors and decreases productivity and efficiency.

3. "Poor IT management"

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits as these things go. Proximity to public transportation.

Cons

In the past, the culture was reasonably friendly and supportive. To some extent, there was a lack of accountability and effective management in many areas throughout the organization but we still got it done. Now, new management in IT has been given carte blanche in leading the company toward new initiatives based on technology. All well and good except that these managers are not competent. They are good salesman though and senior management relies on them for guidance about technology. That's a recipe for failure but after 2 years of this, the board still does not seem to mind spending big money on consultants and software without any real ROI. Outside of IT the company is sold on these managers solely because they project a 'positive' image but not surprisingly, they rule the department through intimidation and surround themselves with sycophants so folks in IT will not speak up. I would not recommend working in IT to anyone.

Advice to Management

None. They are not listening.

5. "Information Systems"

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Yeadon, PA
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Yeadon, PA

I worked at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing to add. Bill George is a great CEO but totally in left field concerning his management.

Cons

Nothing to add. Would not recommend to anyone seeking a professional environment. Falls well below average

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people with no experience in management and using the subordinates as guinea pigs

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time

Pros

Health Partners Plans welcomed me with open arms. I've learned so much and I continue to. It's a growing company so there's plenty of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Veterans and Seniors can be a bit rude and unprofessional. Being that the overall company culture is so great, its disappointing.

7. "Great Place/ Use Caution"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Growing company
    - Inspiring Mission
    - Diverse workplace
    - Friendly environment
    - Location is centrally located to mass transportation

Cons

- Top heavy/- too many management layers.
    - IT is basically run by a "consultant" with the power of a of a CIO, and bullies and micromanages in such a reactive fashion that it has killed ITs morale and effectiveness.
    - New changes/growth are met with resistance by some management and some entire departments in company.
    - Location- if you don't have access to mass transit.
    - Benefits are average (not really a con, but not a pro)

Advice to Management

- keep aggressive in growth and improvements, but keep mission and culture in mind. If you don't trust your employees with the mission (but trust consultants and contractors) how will the culture last?

"Made me grateful for other workplaces"

Pros

* CEO really is about the people the company serves
    * Great location - near PATCO, SEPTA and great lunch spots.

Cons

* Severe lack of organization. In addition to the job going from full-time to part-time on my first day without prior communication - I learned of this when I asked about what time to be there each morning - I often sat at my desk for hours waiting for work since my manager was slow in giving out assignments.
    * Unprofessional atmosphere. People openly griped about their workloads and personal problems, while my manager continually talked badly about past employees and people in other departments.
    * Not accepting of newcomers/contract workers. Several employees would only call me "Temp" which was really rude.

Advice to Management

Really reevaluate your leadership. My manager was tone-deaf and lectured instead of discussed, which is a really ineffective way to deal with team members. This was probably the worst place I have ever worked.

9. "Training"

Current Employee - Trainer in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Trainer in Phila, PA

I have been working at Health Partners Plans (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great! A lot of room for creatively expressing your ideas. Generally fun, collaborative environment. Respectful and friendly environment. They offer a lot of training internally and have tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Some departments have more vertical movement than others which can be frustrating to watch. Still growing pains with transition to becoming a larger company, but overall great place.

Advice to Management

Trust more people to get job done from home.

10. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for advancement. Great management team and employees. Friendly environment and overall best place to work in Philadelphia!

Cons

Location could be better. With all of the construction it makes it harder to access public transportation not to mention the homeless people who constantly beg outside of the front door. Otherwise, safe place to work.

11. "RN case mgr"

Pros

Bonus, work from home, good salary

Cons

Benefits are expensive for employees