Health Partners Plans Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
William George

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great location, work/life balance, pleasant environment, not a stiff corporate structure, CEO is pretty friendly" (in 6 reviews)

• "At HPP, I have the best work/life balance in my 20" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Although the staff is diverse up to middle management, upper management is mostly older white folks" (in 6 reviews)

• "Management has no people skills" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Success built on teamwork"

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time

Pros

This company has core values that filter down from the top. There is a sense of "we are in this together." It is a pleasant place to work.

Cons

Better integration of systems would improve overall efficiency

2. "Data Entry"

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My specific Manager was amazing and understanding.

Cons

Employees that have been there too long to change with the times.

3. "Used to be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

very employee centric. always giving extra days off or opportunities for more hours off.

Cons

Leadership plays favorites, ignores poor workers and blames others when other leadership fails. Too many 'yes' men being promoted and too much willful blindness on leadership that is just terrible. Scapegoating staff is very common and senior leadership seems to eat it up.

Advice to Management

You keep talking about making things better, but you refuse to look right next to you or in the mirror at the problems. It used to be a great place. Now its lost almost all its appeal it once had.

4. "Clueless. No communication."

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

Make up rules as they go along, no written policies or processes, no communication from management or other areas, no support, salary not competitive, hires staff who are clueless, poor training, no formal training process, other departments tend to "pass the buck" with no push back from management, managers lack experience and knowledge, not appreciated...

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate with your employees. Treat employees as professionals. Hire people who actually know what they're doing. Do something about the employees who don't know how to do their job. You've been around long enough, HPP! Learn how to function! Get it together already.

5. "Management"

I worked at Health Partners Plans full-time

Pros

Great compensation, benefits and work building security measures. I love what I did at HPP every day was like my first day.

Cons

Too many high level management titles, and nothing is accomplished. Sr. Management do not want change, outed procedures that no longer work and or senseless, redundancy, and or personal agenda on how it should be. A lot of favoritism and hire inexperience people to perform work of a Sr. employee and believes that they can do the work and lacks the experience, promote staff who are not leaders and only concerned for themselves. The company has potential employees who really cares about the work that they do and how the public is effected by the poor decisions making of management and some employees. Too many employees performing half azz because others will finish the task.

Advice to Management

Look out for employees who really care about what they do and how they get the job done day in and day out. Those who have fresh ideas and work as a team. The company has Sr. employees who really care about their work and acceptance to change and work well with staff.

"Grave Issues-Beware"

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time

Pros

Community involvement is admirable.

Cons

Senior leadership is a mess. CEO is disengaged and is more of a cartoon character than a leader. No strategy or vision in this company. Medicare is a mess and new leadership insists on utilizing antiquated, inefficient and costly strategies that will do little to improve the business. Senior leadership team is full of hubris and posers. Everyone is out for themselves vs making decisions that have the best interest of the organization in mind. Our advice is to stay away from this amateurish and failing organization!

Advice to Management

CEO should step down. Senior leadership should be reorganized. BOD should exert greater oversight and control over the performance of leadership.

"Middle Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At HPP, I have the best work/life balance in my 20+ years of working. I support the mission and vision of Health Partners Plans and am proud to work for a company with a high moral fiber.

There is opportunity for advancement - I have seen many promotions from within the company.

Cons

There is a lack of innovation and technology with some processes, but management acknowledges this and is working on solution.

Advice to Management

Prioritize the most important initiatives and narrow the focus.

8. "Good Place to Work, Sometimes Frustrating"

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally a friendly, welcoming company. Staff is extremely diverse by race, ethnicity and sexual orientation. It's not just about the bottom line; people really do care about the members and community. This is still a company where people can start at the bottom and get promoted, even as many places prefer to just hire fresh MBAs or whatever. You can't beat the location w/ PATCO, the MFL and Regional Rail right next door. The office is usually empty by 5:30; people aren't expected to put in extra hours unless there's a good reason.

Cons

Although the staff is diverse up to middle management, upper management is mostly older white folks. That should change over time as the baby boomers retire. Incredibly outdated systems and processes, especially in finance, are holding the company back. There are a lot of rules for the way things are done that are just followed blindly and never revisited to see if they still make sense. Departments are siloed - nobody knows what anyone else is doing. The health benefits are very expensive for what you get.

Advice to Management

Build on strengths - you have a great staff, but they need to be empowered to be change-makers at every level. Hold upper management more accountable and bring in some fresh blood from outside the healthcare industry. Flatten the management structure somewhat and ban the phrase "that's just how we do it here."

"Fickle and Blind"

Current Employee - Upper Management in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Upper Management in Center City, MN

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, work/life balance, pleasant environment, not a stiff corporate structure, CEO is pretty friendly.

Cons

A lot of projects are started, but little is done to finish. I’m not sure what has been accomplished that is great by this company in years. Leadership is overpaid supervisors at best. They can’t even manage more less lead the company. They promote for no reason, but skip over people that have reason to be promoted that can demonstrate they are hard workers and can make a difference. The CEO is nice and welcomes input from people, but everyone just puts on a show for him and complains behind his back. Staff meetings are b-sessions to complain about leadership. It’s pretty sad that people act happy for the perks, but really are not satisfied in whatever direction this company is going in. They have a lot of people with little work to do. Where I worked before here, hiring just to hire would never have happened. If you want to make a change and really care about what you do, don’t drink the doing it right purple juice, just put on jeans with the t-shirt. Leadership is just waiting to retire, buying time. So little change is promising.

Advice to Management

Really, get a third party to come in and shift the culture. A company that specializes in struggling organizations is needed. Leadership needs executive coaching, they are clueless. Management stop b*tching to your subordinates about your boss and how you can’t make changes and stand up for your staff. Also, there are no Latino’s and African Americans in high leadership roles.

10. "Doing it Wrong"

I worked at Health Partners Plans full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits; location is good if you like being in the city.

Cons

I worked at HPP for over 4 years and it changed a lot during that time. When I started it was a pleasant place where people shared a team spirit. It is not that way anymore. There is open meanness in many of the departments. Managers yell at, belittle, and backstab people on their staff. Planning is often chaotic. As HPP grows larger the employees are treated more like numbers. It’s too bad, because it was once a nice place to work, but those days are long gone. The company tagline is Doing it Right, but it is more like Doing it Wrong.

Advice to Management

Ask employees what they think of management -- the responses can be eye opening. Treat people fairly and with respect.