Health Partners Plans Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
William George

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great location, work/life balance, pleasant environment, not a stiff corporate structure, CEO is pretty friendly" (in 6 reviews)

• "At HPP, I have the best work/life balance in my 20" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Although the staff is diverse up to middle management, upper management is mostly older white folks" (in 6 reviews)

• "Management has no people skills" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Middle Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At HPP, I have the best work/life balance in my 20+ years of working. I support the mission and vision of Health Partners Plans and am proud to work for a company with a high moral fiber.

There is opportunity for advancement - I have seen many promotions from within the company.

Cons

There is a lack of innovation and technology with some processes, but management acknowledges this and is working on solution.

Advice to Management

Prioritize the most important initiatives and narrow the focus.

2. "Good Place to Work, Sometimes Frustrating"

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally a friendly, welcoming company. Staff is extremely diverse by race, ethnicity and sexual orientation. It's not just about the bottom line; people really do care about the members and community. This is still a company where people can start at the bottom and get promoted, even as many places prefer to just hire fresh MBAs or whatever. You can't beat the location w/ PATCO, the MFL and Regional Rail right next door. The office is usually empty by 5:30; people aren't expected to put in extra hours unless there's a good reason.

Cons

Although the staff is diverse up to middle management, upper management is mostly older white folks. That should change over time as the baby boomers retire. Incredibly outdated systems and processes, especially in finance, are holding the company back. There are a lot of rules for the way things are done that are just followed blindly and never revisited to see if they still make sense. Departments are siloed - nobody knows what anyone else is doing. The health benefits are very expensive for what you get.

Advice to Management

Build on strengths - you have a great staff, but they need to be empowered to be change-makers at every level. Hold upper management more accountable and bring in some fresh blood from outside the healthcare industry. Flatten the management structure somewhat and ban the phrase "that's just how we do it here."

"Fickle and Blind"

Current Employee - Upper Management in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Upper Management in Center City, MN

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, work/life balance, pleasant environment, not a stiff corporate structure, CEO is pretty friendly.

Cons

A lot of projects are started, but little is done to finish. I’m not sure what has been accomplished that is great by this company in years. Leadership is overpaid supervisors at best. They can’t even manage more less lead the company. They promote for no reason, but skip over people that have reason to be promoted that can demonstrate they are hard workers and can make a difference. The CEO is nice and welcomes input from people, but everyone just puts on a show for him and complains behind his back. Staff meetings are b-sessions to complain about leadership. It’s pretty sad that people act happy for the perks, but really are not satisfied in whatever direction this company is going in. They have a lot of people with little work to do. Where I worked before here, hiring just to hire would never have happened. If you want to make a change and really care about what you do, don’t drink the doing it right purple juice, just put on jeans with the t-shirt. Leadership is just waiting to retire, buying time. So little change is promising.

Advice to Management

Really, get a third party to come in and shift the culture. A company that specializes in struggling organizations is needed. Leadership needs executive coaching, they are clueless. Management stop b*tching to your subordinates about your boss and how you can’t make changes and stand up for your staff. Also, there are no Latino’s and African Americans in high leadership roles.

4. "Doing it Wrong"

I worked at Health Partners Plans full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits; location is good if you like being in the city.

Cons

I worked at HPP for over 4 years and it changed a lot during that time. When I started it was a pleasant place where people shared a team spirit. It is not that way anymore. There is open meanness in many of the departments. Managers yell at, belittle, and backstab people on their staff. Planning is often chaotic. As HPP grows larger the employees are treated more like numbers. It’s too bad, because it was once a nice place to work, but those days are long gone. The company tagline is Doing it Right, but it is more like Doing it Wrong.

Advice to Management

Ask employees what they think of management -- the responses can be eye opening. Treat people fairly and with respect.

5. "Nonya"

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time

Pros

They’re great! I really like it here.

Cons

No issues so far but the benefits suck.

"The Company That Time Forgot"

I worked at Health Partners Plans full-time

Pros

There are some super committed, loyal and hard working people there that were its only saving grace. And a lot of employees genuinely care about their members and want to make a difference.

Cons

The culture is horrible. Back stabbing, favoritism, pettiness, gossip. I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there. They are about as far from a meritocracy as one could get. But if you're an old white guy, then you're good to go.

The company's mindset and operations are as old and outdated as the people that are running it. I don't know what they are paying some of the old timers that are in charge there, but I'm pretty sure it's way too much.

It seems like a lot of people love the CEO, but from what I could tell, he's just a goofy old kook who has been sitting on the shelf way past his expiration date. And there are a couple other geezers there in HR and Finance that must be pulling down some serious bank, but nobody knows exactly what they do.

And I'm pretty sure they might be the last company outside the third world that still does virtually everything on paper.

It's a company that could do and be so much more if they had competent and effective leadership, but they're frozen in time and don't seem to realize it.

Advice to Management

Save what little dignity they might have left and leave gracefully before they completely ruin the company. Give a new generation of leaders a chance.

"Human Resources is a joke!"

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health Partners Plans is a great company to work for. The CEO really cares about his people!

Cons

Human Resources is very bias and partial, which is bringing down the moral and culture of the company

Advice to Management

All terminations should be confidential. However, there was a disclosure about an alleged incident involving a manager exposing himself to a subordinate. Reason for terminations should never be divulged to any persons outside of the HR Department. People speculate and rumors get started and a person's character is defamed.

There's alot of bullying that goes on in HR and the practices are unfair.
    There needs to be new leadership in HR. The practices are old and outdated...it seems to be one person holding everyone back and shows a great deal of favortism.

"Laughable IT management."

I worked at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good location and good benefits.

Cons

Huge cultural change. Employees are treated bad and forced out, IT dept replaced by H1B.

Advice to Management

B.George hurry up and retire.

"The Walking Dead!"

Current Employee - Member Relations Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Member Relations Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Partners Plans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation... That’s all I can think of. I gave the company one star only because I had to.

Cons

EVERYTHING!!! This company is absolutely horrible. The employees are suffering! HR is a nightmare...

Advice to Management

Hire new HR business partners. Put an end to the corruption. Stop allowing employees to be mentally and sexually abused. Stop allowing leadership to harass and retaliate against the staff. Stop allowing leaders to hire their family members who have no experience. The way it is now, management can write you up for any and everything under the Sun whenever they feel like it and HR does NOTHING!!! The CEO has to know what’s going on and he’s not doing anything about it.

"This organization is a joke. Corrupt and prejudicial."

Pros

Free t shirts and located in the middle of downtown philly are about the best pros this company has.

Cons

Upper management lacks humility and respect. Human resources management is a circus act.

Advice to Management

Hire all new management.