Health Plan of San Joaquin Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Consultant/Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Parker, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Parker, CO

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work - interesting and challenging assignments

Cons

Did not last long enough

Advice to Management

none

"Micro Management and Bullies"

Current Employee - Analyst in French Camp, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in French Camp, CA

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time

Pros

Close to free way, Jean days, not much else to say positive except learn what you can on your own and use it to get a better job somewhere else

Cons

Building has mice, managers are bullies, no formal training (only for management), too many meetings, layoffs are imminent but CEO lies about ACA cutbacks.

Advice to Management

Full renovation of upper management needed.

"Where do I start?"

Former Employee - Staff in French Camp, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in French Camp, CA

I worked at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid, but below market.

Cons

Every negative comment listed here has some truth to it.

High turnover, from director, manager, supervisors, to staff, the only ones not leaving are the executive team.

Senior leaders say one thing and do another, they change stories to cover themselves.

No training - you get dinged when instructions given are either unclear or contradictory.

Union came in for a reason, mistrust of the management, and for good reasons!

Advice to Management

Look into the mirror to see why people keep leaving.

"The worst place I've EVER WORKED for. I've worked in fast food places with better environments than this."

Former Employee - Accountant in French Camp, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in French Camp, CA

I worked at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a single thing that I'd call a pro for HPSJ. Maybe the only thing I can think of is the pay was good and the benefits. Nothing else is even close to a pro.

Cons

Where do I start? The crappy work environment, the micro management of breaks and lunches and clock in and clock outs, the lack of organization, the non-exist of any training, being held accountable for duties you've never been trained for, the lack of Standard Operating procedures, the threats and bullying that happens on a daily basis, the playing favorites to certain employees, being picked on and berated, constantly being pulled in to a meeting addressing the same issue that you've asked for help with daily, the snottiness of long term employees in your department that with hold information and do not want to help train you on something they do but want to hand over to you. Mangers and supervisors not being available to help mentor and train even when you let them know you are struggling. Being told not to take your breaks and told to eat your lunch at your desk. Asking questions but made to feel stupid, being told you have to stay or come in on weekends, the language disconnect from my supervisor that replaced the actual answer with "just do that and thing it". I didn't make it to my probation because I was told my performance wasn't up to par however I had never officially been trained in anything and the item I was working on was given to me with no guidance, no instructions, and I was constantly reminded if I couldn't finish it I would be let go, yet there was no standard operating procedure and no one else including long term employees could reconcile it either. No one sat down with me and went through the step by step process of what my duties were.

Advice to Management

Provide the training that a "new" employee needs. Don't pawn them off or put them off because you need to attend a 100 meetings. Provide strong back ground in what's expected and give the items to the employee that you stated were their responsibility. Don't put new employees off time and time again and then expect them to know what they are doing. Training, training, training.....stop playing favorites, speak clearly and give accurate, clear cut instructions and procedures for the duty you are giving them. You know the way you are supposed to train anyone new to the company.

"I have never worked in a place with worse leadership and neither have you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in French Camp, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in French Camp, CA

Pros

1. Great opportunity to learn how not to lead or behave in work or personal life. Get to observe and learn from watching horrible leadership and behavior from "leaders' creating a toxic culture and environment. Will observe highly paid unprofessional self-serving people and their lackeys bully, disrespect, blame, intimidate, always go for the win-lose outcome, and behave like a tin-pot dictator.
    2. With incredible amount of staff turnover, get to meet lots of new people if only for a few days.

Cons

Blaming and bullying is what CEO and her lackeys do best. Result is a awful work environment. Employees are afraid, can’t perform near their best, learning doesn’t take place, and risk and innovation don’t happen. But crazy levels of staff turnover, litigation, severance pay , stress leave, and distrust among staff do.

HPSJ can’t attract or retain executive and other staff motivated by anything other than dollars. Mission has become irrelevant. Recruiting people with no awareness of or connection to community or a local public health plan. Local plan is local no more.

Commission has forgot whose boss or is afraid to lead. Chair and the rest see their responsibility as approving/agreeing with whatever CEO does, seeks and says. No due diligence or accountability for this tax-payer funded agency. And no transparency. Board and its individual members is building a legacy to be ashamed of.

Advice to Management

Commission needs to step up,wake up, and take charge.

"Just Listen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in French Camp, CA

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At this time there are no PROs to list. But I hope soon I can.

Cons

Pro-Union supporters and the rest of the staff are at a full blown WAR. There is so much HATRED in this building between coworkers that it is hard to come to work some mornings. I take pride in what I do and do my job with a SMILE. I believe that this company can be great again if staff and the Executive team would just reach an agreement that is best ALL employees. Employees that have been here for a while know that HPSJ was once an amazing company that was the jewel of San Joaquin County. Benefits were great and staff felt appreciated in a family oriented company. When the new CEO took over we were hopeful things would still be good. However because of a deficit cuts were made to our benefits. Cuts that we thought would only be TEMPORARY. And now that the company is back on its feet employees just want what is due to us for our HARDWORK and DEDICATION. For providing positive TEAMWORK in a still hostile environment. For showing INTEGRITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY for our work and being an amazing STEWARD. We don’t wish to be lied to or BULLIED anymore. This is why the UNION is so important. The negative comments about the staff that are PRO UNION are CHILDISH. Everyone is happy for having a job but EVERYONE also deserves to be treated fairly and with RESPECT. The company needs to come up with a POSITIVE solution that will be good for everyone or the turnover rate will continue rise. People have invested their tears and sweat helping get this company to where it is today and the blatant disrespect for employees needs to cease. We need to come together and practice the values of the company that we preach.

Advice to Management

Come to an agreement with the Union or you will CONTINUE to lose good workers.

7. "Only negativity has come from the union"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in French Camp, CA

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was a great place until negative employees who forgot how horrible it is elsewhere started complaining and brought in the union. Staffs who brought in the union are pushy and wants to push their negativity on others. Our pay was decent and the benefits were still great despite a few cutbacks. If they were so unhappy then they should have moved on to other companies and let us keep what we had before. This union is incompetent and now we are stuck paying union dues and still does not have the benefits that we did have before the union came in.... What a waste.... Reminds me of the saying " dont follow barking dogs cause you really don't know what they are barking at"

Cons

Previous CEO and management staff put the company in financial distress cause of all the perks that he was giving employees. People should realize that when you are serving the community you should be happy about doing your job without expecting something each time you reach out your hand. Having a good job nowadays is enough of a reward.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the folks who don't Appreciate what they have. They are messing it up for everyone else who does.

8. "I Don't See the Problem"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in French Camp, CA

Pros

I have been here for a year and I can say, full heartedly, I love my job. I love the feeling I get when I accomplish something at the end of the day. I take pride in my work and I value the fact that my boss acknowledges when I have done a good job. Aside from that, this company has offered me more in benefits than ANY OTHER COMPANY I have worked for (10 companies, all different field types). I am fortunate enough to work for a place that is truly driven by the fact that we serve the underserved. We would not be anywhere without our members. Each provider contract that gets signed, each customer service call that gets answered, every claim that gets paid.....it is all because of our members and our mission.

Cons

There are so many people who keep saying negative things about the company. I am not here to slander them. I am here to say that I am sorry you are an unhappy full time paid employee with good benefits. If you don't like your job then freaking quit and allow people who believe in the HPSJ mission to work here. I must confess....the one con that I see at this company is the way that the majority of the pro union staff represent themselves and the discrimination they practice when they are uncertain as to someone's stance on the issue. Play fair or get off of the field.

Advice to Management

Considering everything that is happening with your staff, I am thankful that each of you are able to come to work with a smile on your face. You may be tense, in a hurry, or frustrated, but you push it aside and get the job done. Thank you for staying professional during highly stressful times. You are true leaders.

"Welcome to psychopathic, toxic leadership without a clue"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in French Camp, CA

Pros

Need to go back nearly three years to remember the pros. Seems like forever ago, but used to be a great place to work with a trusted, values-driven leader with integrity.

Cons

Sad seeing place I used to love working at be changed into something far less than that by a leader without a clue, her executive team without a spine, and a commission without a care.

Is now a terrible work environment. Leadership doesn't take its mission or values serious. No integrity. Doesn't value, involve, or respect employees. Leadership now views community as a marketing target and a place to drive away from as quickly as possible at the end of the day.

With Amy Shin in charge, pretty much every day at HPSJ is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. And she loves it. We know. Because she religiously tells us so at every staff meeting.

Advice to Management

To the Commission - Everyone makes mistakes. Some of the mistakes are more significant than others. Like when you hire a really bad CEO that creates a toxic work environment and harms a company's ability to compete in the marketplace in the future and reward her for her effort. No one likes to admit when they’ve made a really big mistake, but it is very important to learn from them and not compound them. It’s not the mistake that generally breaks you, it’s how you act afterward. So while, Amy is quickly driving the organization into the past tense, the Commission can show it has learned something from its blunder and stop making things far worse by surrendering all authority to her and rewarding her for her ineptitude. Admit your mistakes and quit compounding them. Have higher expectations from highly paid leadership than this garbage fire and step up and change things. It is possible to do far better. In fact it might be nearly impossible to do worse.

"Why I left HPSJ"

Former Employee - Former Employee in French Camp, CA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in French Camp, CA

I worked at Health Plan of San Joaquin (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some good people trying to do best in really difficult situation.

Cons

More than 2 years of horrible work environment under a brutal self-centered CEO and scared executive team. CEO’s got no interest in corporate values. Don’t respect or value employees or community. Unhappiest, most stressed out, unproductive workplace I ever worked at in my life.

Brain drain from everybody leaving took away knowledge and experience. Replacements allmost never as good as those that left or fired for whatever reason. Made really tough to do a good job.

Something unusual going on? The only public health plan in the state to not post meeting materials and minutes.

Advice to Management

Look at the results from employee dissatisfaction survey that HR conducted and ignored in 2015 and know things not getting better. Ask the 130+ employees leaving since CEO started in 2013 what's up. Time to stop blaming the victims. Just ignoring the problem and giving it a contract extension and big fat raise ain't a solution to anything.