Health Plan of San Joaquin Reviews | Glassdoor

Amy Shin

"Where do I start?"

Former Employee - Staff in French Camp, CA

I worked at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get paid, but below market.

Cons

Every negative comment listed here has some truth to it. High turnover, from director, manager, supervisors, to staff, the only ones not leaving are the executive team. Senior leaders say one thing and do another, they change stories to cover themselves. No training - you get dinged when instructions given are either unclear or contradictory. Union came in for a reason, mistrust of the management, and... for good reasons!

Advice to Management

Look into the mirror to see why people keep leaving.

Health Plan of San Joaquin2017-03-18
  2. "Management"

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you have a passion for helping those in need. Great culture. Great collaboration between departments.

Cons

Entitlement attitude of staff. Very fast paced with lots of objectives due to turnover in leadership and disjointed oversight of regulatory agencies.

Advice to Management

Stay focused, change the entitlement culture, fill open positions with the right people - do not hire from within for the professional positions.

Health Plan of San Joaquin2016-09-03

"RN Case manager"

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time

Pros

Salary and benefits are decent. they now have a union- SEIU- after benefits were cut. Hopefully will be able to maintain current benefit status. Management has worked hard to build leadership

Cons

Extremely fast paced and subject to change all the time. Still a lot of turnover.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your people. Allow more staff to telecommute

Health Plan of San Joaquin2016-08-27
  4. "The most unprofessional, law breaking, back stabbing place I've ever worked!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in French Camp, CA

I worked at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely none the pay was good for this area but the job and lack of training was awful. They preach an open door policy to HR which is 100% not accurate. Awful management, disgruntled employees.

Cons

Everything was horrible people were negative, unprofessional, nasty, back stabbing, untrustworthy, liars who only cares about making themselves look good.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your inspirational quotes and put your employees first!

Health Plan of San Joaquin2016-07-21

"The worst place I've EVER WORKED for. I've worked in fast food places with better environments than this."

Former Employee - Accountant in French Camp, CA

I worked at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can't think of a single thing that I'd call a pro for HPSJ. Maybe the only thing I can think of is the pay was good and the benefits. Nothing else is even close to a pro.

Cons

Where do I start? The crappy work environment, the micro management of breaks and lunches and clock in and clock outs, the lack of organization, the non-exist of any training, being held accountable for duties you've never been trained for, the lack of Standard Operating procedures, the threats and bullying that happens on a daily basis, the playing favorites to certain employees, being picked on and berated,... constantly being pulled in to a meeting addressing the same issue that you've asked for help with daily, the snottiness of long term employees in your department that with hold information and do not want to help train you on something they do but want to hand over to you. Mangers and supervisors not being available to help mentor and train even when you let them know you are struggling. Being told not to take your breaks and told to eat your lunch at your desk. Asking questions but made to feel stupid, being told you have to stay or come in on weekends, the language disconnect from my supervisor that replaced the actual answer with "just do that and thing it". I didn't make it to my probation because I was told my performance wasn't up to par however I had never officially been trained in anything and the item I was working on was given to me with no guidance, no instructions, and I was constantly reminded if I couldn't finish it I would be let go, yet there was no standard operating procedure and no one else including long term employees could reconcile it either. No one sat down with me and went through the step by step process of what my duties were.

Advice to Management

Provide the training that a "new" employee needs. Don't pawn them off or put them off because you need to attend a 100 meetings. Provide strong back ground in what's expected and give the items to the employee that you stated were their responsibility. Don't put new employees off time and time again and then expect them to know what they are doing. Training, training, training.....stop playing favorites, speak... clearly and give accurate, clear cut instructions and procedures for the duty you are giving them. You know the way you are supposed to train anyone new to the company.

Health Plan of San Joaquin2016-07-15

"I have never worked in a place with worse leadership and neither have you"

in French Camp, CA

I worked at Health Plan of San Joaquin

Pros

1. Great opportunity to learn how not to lead or behave in work or personal life. Get to observe and learn from watching horrible leadership and behavior from "leaders' creating a toxic culture and environment. Will observe highly paid unprofessional self-serving people and their lackeys bully, disrespect, blame, intimidate, always go for the win-lose outcome, and behave like a tin-pot dictator. 2. With... incredible amount of staff turnover, get to meet lots of new people if only for a few days.

Cons

Blaming and bullying is what CEO and her lackeys do best. Result is a awful work environment. Employees are afraid, can’t perform near their best, learning doesn’t take place, and risk and innovation don’t happen. But crazy levels of staff turnover, litigation, severance pay , stress leave, and distrust among staff do. HPSJ can’t attract or retain executive and other staff motivated by anything other than... dollars. Mission has become irrelevant. Recruiting people with no awareness of or connection to community or a local public health plan. Local plan is local no more. Commission has forgot whose boss or is afraid to lead. Chair and the rest see their responsibility as approving/agreeing with whatever CEO does, seeks and says. No due diligence or accountability for this tax-payer funded agency. And no transparency. Board and its individual members is building a legacy to be ashamed of.

Advice to Management

Commission needs to step up,wake up, and take charge.

Health Plan of San Joaquin2016-06-13

"Just Plain Crazy"

I worked at Health Plan of San Joaquin for more than a year

Pros

Location to my home-commute was good.

Cons

Everything else you could think of. The absolute worst Management-not even sure you can call it that. There is a tyrant dictator uneducated CEO that rules ....intimidates and gets rid of those that she finds as a threat to her or does not cower to her antics....and other folks are too afraid of her. So glad to be at new place with true leaders. I would not recommend this place to even my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Hire new CEO visionary with strategic vision that is not a Pharmacist.

Health Plan of San Joaquin2016-05-04
  8. "Consultant/Project Manager"

Project Manager in Parker, CO

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin for less than a year

Pros

Good place to work - interesting and challenging assignments

Cons

Did not last long enough

Advice to Management

none

Health Plan of San Joaquin2016-03-26

"Only negativity has come from the union"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in French Camp, CA

I have been working at Health Plan of San Joaquin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This was a great place until negative employees who forgot how horrible it is elsewhere started complaining and brought in the union. Staffs who brought in the union are pushy and wants to push their negativity on others. Our pay was decent and the benefits were still great despite a few cutbacks. If they were so unhappy then they should have moved on to other companies and let us keep what we had before. This union... is incompetent and now we are stuck paying union dues and still does not have the benefits that we did have before the union came in.... What a waste.... Reminds me of the saying " dont follow barking dogs cause you really don't know what they are barking at"

Cons

Previous CEO and management staff put the company in financial distress cause of all the perks that he was giving employees. People should realize that when you are serving the community you should be happy about doing your job without expecting something each time you reach out your hand. Having a good job nowadays is enough of a reward.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the folks who don't Appreciate what they have. They are messing it up for everyone else who does.

Health Plan of San Joaquin2016-03-05

"Just Listen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in French Camp, CA

Pros

At this time there are no PROs to list. But I hope soon I can.

Cons

Pro-Union supporters and the rest of the staff are at a full blown WAR. There is so much HATRED in this building between coworkers that it is hard to come to work some mornings. I take pride in what I do and do my job with a SMILE. I believe that this company can be great again if staff and the Executive team would just reach an agreement that is best ALL employees. Employees that have been here for a while know... that HPSJ was once an amazing company that was the jewel of San Joaquin County. Benefits were great and staff felt appreciated in a family oriented company. When the new CEO took over we were hopeful things would still be good. However because of a deficit cuts were made to our benefits. Cuts that we thought would only be TEMPORARY. And now that the company is back on its feet employees just want what is due to us for our HARDWORK and DEDICATION. For providing positive TEAMWORK in a still hostile environment. For showing INTEGRITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY for our work and being an amazing STEWARD. We don’t wish to be lied to or BULLIED anymore. This is why the UNION is so important. The negative comments about the staff that are PRO UNION are CHILDISH. Everyone is happy for having a job but EVERYONE also deserves to be treated fairly and with RESPECT. The company needs to come up with a POSITIVE solution that will be good for everyone or the turnover rate will continue rise. People have invested their tears and sweat helping get this company to where it is today and the blatant disrespect for employees needs to cease. We need to come together and practice the values of the company that we preach.

Advice to Management

Come to an agreement with the Union or you will CONTINUE to lose good workers.

Health Plan of San Joaquin2016-03-10