Health Services Advisory Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Mary Ellen Dalton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior management lacks business ethics and will compromise integrity, quality and associates to increase their bottom line (in 4 reviews)

• Executive management is too insular, the offices outside of Arizona receive little or no oversight (in 3 reviews)

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Project Lead in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Health Services Advisory Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive salary, supportive Directors and Project Managers, and interesting work. Professional growth is highly encouraged and fostered.

Cons

The minimum requirements for some positions require advanced degrees which are valued over experience. Projects often have tight timelines which require overtime to complete (non-reimbursed for salaried staff). Departments are in silos: if you are not a high-level Director/VP you are not aware of their work or the process for utilizing their services.

Advice to Management

Consider compensation for mandatory overtime that some projects require (bonus, extra day off, etc.). Add training for mid-level management

Aug 11, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear that you’re enjoying the benefits, competitive compensation and supportive leadership. At HSAG, we value education and offer tuition reimbursement for... More

2. "Health service advisory group"

Current Employee - Healthcare Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Healthcare Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Health Services Advisory Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything is great! Everyone is so nice.

Cons

I haven't found any so far.

Jul 31, 2017 – HR

Thank you so much for your review! We always appreciate hearing kind words about our employees and organization.

3. "Quality Specialist"

Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Health Services Advisory Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a growing company that enjoys the respect of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services on a national platform. If you are interested in healthcare quality management, it is a good place for you to work.

Cons

There is a lack of communication about the company's plans/goals and how you will be able to assist in meeting them.

Jul 31, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review. It's an honor to work so closely with CMS on a national level to help improve the quality of healthcare in our country. We strive to effectively communicate with our... More

4. "Overall good company"

Pros

Interesting projects, with lots of changes.

Cons

Medical benefits could be better

Jul 31, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the projects. The contracts we work on are constantly evolving and these changes certainly keep us on our toes! In terms of medical... More

5. "Very Good Place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Health Services Advisory Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working with HSAG-FL for many years and through many transitions. It is now the best it has been. Management (Project Directors and upper management) works really hard to make sure the employees are happy and challenged and focus on ways to retain good employees. Love the employee appreciation committee and all the little things they do to keep it fun in the office. Great benefits, time off and little perks make it a really nice place to work.

Cons

Nothing significant, but sometimes management tries too hard to keep people happy. Be grateful people!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jun 29, 2017 – HR

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your kind words and are glad to hear that the teams in our Florida office are continuing to grow and improve. Our leaders strive to inspire others and... More

"Great Pay, Hostile Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Health Services Advisory Group full-time

Pros

-You get to meet amazing people/co-workers who are truly passionate about the field
    -The pay is excellent and well-above what is typical in the field
    -Flexible hours

Cons

-You meet people who are only in it for the money and treat you with little to no disregard
    -Work is steady and you rarely have to bring your work home, but during deadline season if you don't finish something you're either staying late or bringing it home with you. Management will be on you if it's not turned in perfectly.
    -Management is poor and favorites are heavily played as mentioned in other reviews. If your boss/supervisor doesn't like you, that is enough grounds to fire you or let you go without any substantial cause or evidence. You could work there for years and do amazing work but won't get promoted or receive any appreciation if your boss isn't your friend. Bottom line: If you want to get far, be your boss' best friend.
    -While the pay is good, their management of the budget is poor. Higher management and executives are always travelling for "work" even when they've been told to restrict. What kind of example is that setting for employees if management won't even listen to executives?
    -(BIGGEST ONE) A very hostile environment. It's tough going into work knowing you may be fired or let go considering the high turnover rate that this company has. New faces come and go all the time. While there are nice employees, there are also very mean, demeaning ones as well that talk behind your back to their supervisor bosses and you're at a loss.
    -HR is good at listening to problems but will not take any action. If you don't report an issue, but someone else does or your supervisor does, they will not look into the situation and you will be let go. It is always their word against yours. Even with proof, no consequences ever goes to management.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to listen to all your employees and gain perspectives from all sides during conflicts. Analyze your upper management and criticize their practices if need be. Most employees are too afraid to speak negative of their supervisor in fear or retaliation (which I have personally seen happen a lot). While you pay your employees generously, it's not helpful to them if you choose to let them go down the line with no explanation or cause. I love the work that HSAG does for the community, but it fosters such a hostile environment to work in despite all of the "fun" events it may try to hold.

Jul 31, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review. We’ve made it our goal to attract and retain top talent in our industry – employees who are passionate about improving the quality of healthcare. We believe in rewarding... More

7. "A different environment"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

You are paid what you are worth. Birthdays every month. Employees are appreciated. The HR Team is AWESOME!!!!

Cons

The building is a little hard to find if you don't know where to look.

Advice to Management

For the most part everyone is awesome. Please continue to encourage the women to set the example. You have lots of intelligent and beautiful women working there, use them to attract young women into STEAM related fields.

Jun 20, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your positive review! Employees are our greatest asset and we are pleased to offer a competitive compensation package in order to retain top talent. In addition to monthly birthday... More

8. "Good place to start out"

I have been working at Health Services Advisory Group full-time

Pros

Generally relaxed work environment, overall good work/life balance

Cons

C-Suite appear not to listen to lower management or employee suggestions

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Sit with employees and listen.

Jun 12, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review! In addition to a work environment that promotes success, we’ve worked hard to create a warm and welcoming culture at HSAG. We’re glad to hear you’re enjoying this, as well... More

"Awesome Company for Intelligent and Productive Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Health Services Advisory Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't say enough positives about HSAG. my opinion is the negative reviews is that they are likely by complainers who are or were under pressure to DO THEIR JOBS and contribute to their teams.

My experience has been positive and maybe some people expect more because they take other things for granted. We have all the tools we need to be successful individually and as a company. Staff gets excellent computers including thoughtfully being given extra power cords to take home for laptops without even being asked. I had to beg and plead for 1 at my last company. We have internal print shop, be grateful you aren't fighting with the copier yourself or dealing w/outside vendors and getting authorizations, etc.

We work in beautiful offices.

The comment about paying for travel is absolutely false with the exception of meals and mileage. That's pretty standards no matter where you work.

We get plenty of time off and in my 2 years here we've received 2 extra holidays! We get to leave 2 hours early on the day before any holidays. How many companies do you know that do that?

We have free coffee, filtered water, spacious break rooms, sufficient microwaves and refrigerators.

For the most part, logic reigns by management and someone is always going to be unhappy about something.

We can submit suggestions anonymously which are reviewed and responded to by the CEO. Yup. And suggestions such as the pizza parties shouldn't just have cheese pizzas for vegetarians "because it's boring". They should have veggie ones. I'm stunned. You're given a pizza party and it's not good enough?

I feel supported by management and know that things aren't always done in ways that I agree with, but I pick my battles.

Communication is good for the most part.

We get to wear jeans.

We have an app we can do our timesheets on in case we forget.

We have covered parking.

Matching retirement funds.

Health insurance cost went up last year but they absorbed the cost and didn't pass down to employees.

I could go on but in conclusion, note that management cares enough to respond to Glass Door reviews. I think that says plenty.

The complainers won't be happy anywhere and are probably substandard employees which I would rather not work with either.

Cons

I have heard that the AZ office is less pleasant to work, because the CEO who had high expectations is there.

There is nepotism. That can create situations of staff who don't always feel comfortable to speak their minds. And, yes it's high up.

Oh well. Deal with it.

Advice to Management

No advice. I love ya!

May 26, 2017 – HR

Thank you so much for your detailed review! We appreciate your positive feedback. We’ve said it before… our employees are our most valuable asset. Thank you for putting your trust in our managers and... More

10. "Solid"

I have been working at Health Services Advisory Group full-time

Pros

Opportunities to advance and learn a lot about industry

Cons

Need to be interested in healthcare and government contracts

May 26, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear that you’re satisfied with the career advancement opportunities provided. Our industry is constantly changing and HSAG is a great place to work if you... More