Cover image for Health Union

Health Union CEO and Co-Founder Olivier Chateau
Olivier Chateau

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor training, nasty management and a huge supervisor turnover.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Managers have definite favorites and that's who gets promoted and recognized.(in 2 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Incredibly supportive & transparent company

Jul 13, 2022 - Director, Community Development
    Business Outlook

Pros

Despite the fast-paced growth, Health Union has continued to be extremely supportive, thoughtful, and transparent in all its efforts. They offer diverse growth opportunities, frequent company-wide trainings, are always open to feedback/ideas, provide a healthy work-life balance, competitive pay, great benefits, and have wonderful executive, leadership & management teams.

Cons

Nothing... It is truly an amazing company! I feel extremely fortunate to work for a company that has a clear positive vision and mission of helping to connect people living with challenging health conditions and that respects and treats its employees fairly.

VP, People

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences and for highlighting so many of the things you enjoy about working at Health Union. Our leadership team is working hard to ensure we continue to focus on creating development and growth opportunities for all of our team members and creating a positive environment where we can all continue to thrive in our mission to positively impact people living with chronic health conditions. While there is always more work to be done, we're so glad to hear about your experiences! Thanks again for sharing.

2. 5.0

Work with purpose

Sep 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Help bring people together in a divided world. Fantastic leadership, because they are authentic.

Cons

Competitive salaries, respectful yet not top tier

VP, People

Thank you for sharing your review. We agree that working at Health Union gives us all an opportunity to do work that really does have a positive purpose and are glad to know you see the authenticity in our leadership. Thanks, too, for your suggestion to invest in mentoring. In some departments at HU, mentoring is already occurring and one of our Employee Resource Groups is currently piloting a mentoring program. We hope to widen those efforts as part of a broader plan to continue to develop our people. Feel free to reach out to your manager or the HR team for more information or to share any further ideas you have around mentorship. Thanks again for your review!

3. Join the Health Union team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Leadership isn't willing to listen to staff feedback, tough to get buy-in

Dec 12, 2022 - Community Development Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible work schedule - Budget for professional development training

Cons

Very low pay across the board, with little wiggle room to get a pay increase that you can live on. But I think the biggest challenge is that they aren't willing to listen and implement employee feedback. Many employees will share their concerns or suggest ideas that can help with company growth, yet none of it seems to matter to leadership. As much as leadership wants to state how they put the patient first, it's tough to believe when they don't implement employee feedback that actually supports that statement.

9 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Favoritism at its finest.

Oct 5, 2022 - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

At first, the company sold me on putting patients first. But it soon became clear that that drive for this company was to make money, keep favorites happy, and hire and retain friends.

Cons

Once I left the company, many people Ra he’d out to me expressing similar concerns to me. Middle managers felt unsupported and in the dark about important leadership decisions. People managers were unfit and untrained to be managers, often micromanaging or choosing favorites while ignoring the rest. If you weren’t a people manager, you were not promoted. And often, you saw the same few people continuously get promoted while you just sat there wondering “why?”. The passive aggressive nature of the leadership team was astonishing. Many, including myself, did not feel safe going to HR with issues because those issues were not kept confidential. Or, even if they were, nothing changed. If you’re a favorite, you’re going to be just fine here. If you’re not, this environment is extremely toxic.

10 people found this review helpful

VP, People

Thank you for sharing feedback about your experience working here. The growth and development of our team members is a key strategic priority for the company and we are disappointed to learn of your negative experience. As we grow as a company, we continue to actively seek input from team members so we can create an environment where everyone feels valued, regardless of their role and career path. The 6-part management development training program that all managers receive - and many requested - is just one example of this effort. The work we are doing to update our career framework to define and highlight both management and non-management career tracks is another. Thank you again for sharing and best of luck in your future endeavors.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Warm, collaborative place to work

Sep 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone I work with is kind and sincerely invested in the work of making, maintaining, and improving online communities for people living with a wide array of chronic health conditions. It is very much a people-first company. The benefits are great, and leadership has been more flexible and accommodating with the changes necessitated by the pandemic than any other company I've heard of, offering every employee whose job was not directly and essentially client-facing to choose to remain remote, return to the office, or elect for a hybrid work plan when other companies were beginning to enforce returns to office. There are employee resource groups for LGBTQIA+ people, women, BIPOC, and working parents at the moment, with the potential for others to form over time. I feel very supported by my coworkers and leadership and see myself staying with the company for quite a while.

Cons

While the company is making true efforts to hire and support a more racially diverse base of employees going forward, it's still very obviously predominantly white. I've heard some BIPOC coworkers complain about the quality (or deficit thereof) of some of our DEI training programs, and their concerns are reasonable, well-founded, and sound really frustrating. Company culture has plenty of room to grow here in terms of breaking down systemic white guilt and unintentional but damaging ignorance about how to include BIPOC voices in the company culture authentically, and not awkwardly. There doesn't seem to be malice behind most of these invisible disconnects, but the awkwardness and fear of saying the wrong thing to a person of color can nonetheless be really othering to BIPOC, and I think the solution will come not so much from the animated online anti-discrimination training we go through each year, but through simply normalizing racial diversity by fostering it.

VP, People

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you appreciate Health Union’s people-centric culture and enjoy supporting the mission of providing support to individuals with chronic health conditions. We also appreciate you acknowledging our commitment to hiring a more diverse team, as well as some of the frustration that you, and others, have experienced regarding the integration of the company’s DEI efforts. As a company, we are committed to discovering additional ways in which we can attract and hire more diverse talent, and how we can integrate our DEI efforts into the workplace. Our four-part DEI training series is an important part of that effort and our overall DEI plan. It’s an opportunity to build a foundation for all employees from which we hope to develop greater and deeper opportunities for positive change. And, while we’ve expanded our hiring efforts, which have resulted in a more than 10 percent increase in under-represented groups, we want to continue down that path by ensuring that we foster a culture of inclusion and belonging that happens organically. Your comment about integrating diverse voices authentically really hits home. That is what we want to do and we welcome constructive feedback from team members like yourself, to help us get there. We encourage you to share your feedback and experiences with any member of the HR team, or the DEI Program Manager or DEI Committee so we can work together on the most appropriate solutions.

7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Needs improvement

Aug 17, 2022 - Community Team
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice colleagues, easy to make friends.

Cons

Management is resistant to implementing much needed changes. Lack of diversity throughout executive and management teams is apparent and is reflected in their inaction on issues related to diversity. Members of executive team can be plain rude. Fast growing company whose focus is growth, acquisition, or other capital events like going public - leads to lapse in culture and work environment.

6 people found this review helpful

Health Union Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you enjoy the people with whom you work. We are sorry to hear your concerns about management, lack of diversity and company culture. Health Union values and appreciates the feedback and experiences of each team member. To this end, we frequently encourage team members to share feedback - directly or indirectly - in a variety of ways. This includes regular 1:1 conversations between team members and their manager, “Ask Us Anything” Q&A sessions with company leaders or regular employee pulse surveys. In addition to these resources, we also encourage team members to reach out directly to our People team or to take advantage of our open-door approach to communication as outlined in the company Handbook. Health Union has long adopted inclusion and transparency as company core values. Our commitment to diversity is to ensure a journey of belonging for all employees. Many of the initiatives that have taken place across the organization reinforce an emphasis on well-being, safety and connection. From our four employee resource groups, ongoing management training, compensation study, employee-led DEI Committee plus much more, leaders are committed more than ever to ensuring Health Union continues to integrate DEI as a dynamic business principle. While an ideal state is not achieved rapidly, employees are encouraged to lend their perspectives and talents to this pursuit. We understand that the past two years, starting with the pandemic and further exacerbated by fast-paced growth and an acquisition, have impacted the company culture. We acknowledge that the combination of these factors impact how people work and we have been continually assessing and adjusting to meet the needs of all of our people. In addition to offering flexibility to work in the office, remotely or hybrid, we’re also looking for ways to connect with each other in meaningful ways. While some of these changes take time, we are committed to implementing solutions that will reinvigorate our culture in this hybrid workplace environment. Our intention is for Health Union to be a great place to work for each of our team members. Thank you, again, for sharing.

8. 4.0

Amazing Company

Aug 12, 2022 - Senior Manager Media Account Services in Phila, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people who work at Health Union, they are supportive and informational. The leaders really care about the people

Cons

There has been a feeling among many that we are overworked and underpaid. Also, there is no real path to growth. Executive leader should know what the team does on a day to day

2 people found this review helpful

VP, People

Thank you for sharing your experiences about the people, including leadership, at Health Union. We are committed to maintaining a people-focused culture and are happy to hear that you feel it, too. We understand that the fast-paced company growth we’ve experienced over the past few years has caused personal career growth to become less clear. It’s important that we continue to develop our people and make professional development a priority, which you’ll see in the career path framework that will be rolled out this fall. The updated career path framework is the final phase of the compensation study that was started last year, where compensation was evaluated and adjusted based on industry norms and delivered to employees earlier this year. As we refine and roll out these processes, we encourage all team members to continue sharing constructive feedback with their manager and/or executive leader. Being able to bridge the gap between the big picture and the day-to-day efforts that are so critical to success is a skill that we’re consciously building. One way we’re doing this is through active management and leadership development with a third party consultant. In addition to working with company leadership, they are also working to define and implement specific management and leadership plans that will make current leaders more aware of the day-to-day goings-on of the business and develop future leaders in a way that helps them learn to effectively prioritize and drive productivity within their teams. Your feedback, which reinforces the need, is greatly appreciated. Thank you for sharing your perspective and for being part of the HU team!

9. 2.0
    Current Employee

The reviews on leadership are accurate

Aug 23, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, creative direction, cool office space, mission & free lunches.

Cons

Majority of other low star reviews touch on leadership...they weren’t lying. Read them.

7 people found this review helpful

VP, People

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you appreciate the work-life balance and the environment that’s been created. Throughout the years, we’ve sought input from team members about the environment they want to work in, and we will continue to do so. We believe this has been a true differentiator. Leading a company through growth and change is exciting, rewarding and challenging. We do everything we can to make decisions that have the best interest of our people in mind, and we mean it when we say that we are people-focused. The leadership team’s open door policy is meant to encourage discussion and feedback so we can learn from mistakes and get better. We take your feedback seriously as you hopefully saw when we created listening sessions and CEO lunches in response to feedback. We value and appreciate the feedback and experiences of each team member and take action, when appropriate. To this end, we strongly encourage team members to reach out directly to their manager, leader, or a member of the People team with any concerns. Thank you again for your input and for sharing!

10. 5.0

Wonderful mission, amazing team

Apr 21, 2022 - Associate Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Significant positive impact on countless people affected by chronic health conditions - Extremely supportive and collaborative working environment - Adaptive and receptive leadership - Fully remote working options - Colleagues with diverse previous work experiences and skills

Cons

- In-office culture is special and hard to replicate from afar but the flexibility granted by remote work will outweigh that for some

VP, People

Thanks for calling out so many things you enjoy about being part of Health Union. We appreciate the positive feedback and agree that HU is made up of an amazing team that works together to positively impact people living with chronic health conditions. Our culture is something we are proud of and we have been working hard over the past two years to continue to evolve and adapt in ways that keep all of our team members connected whether they’re in the office or working remotely. Thank you for acknowledging the challenge. We are always open to suggestions.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent team

Mar 9, 2022 - Production Designer in Philadelphia, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of benefits to working at HU. I feel valued by my team as well as the higher ups. I believe that our executive management has employees best interest in mind. I feel motivated to produce excellent work because I feel appreciated by my colleagues, and I feel that our work has a purpose.

Cons

No room to negotiate salary

VP, People

Thank you for sharing this wonderful review. We are glad to hear that you are motivated to produce excellent work and feel appreciated! The recent compensation study we completed has been useful in helping to establish HU's overall philosophy regarding compensation, including the value of our total rewards package and our desire to remain competitive with the industry. We value the contributions of each person and welcome feedback. Keep up the great work and thank you for being a part of our team!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 51 Reviews
</>Embed

Health Union Reviews FAQs

Health Union has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 56 reviews left anonymously by employees. 69% of employees would recommend working at Health Union to a friend and 74% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Health Union employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Health Union. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

69% of Health Union employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Health Union 4.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Health Union to be senior leadership, benefits, culture and the cons to be career development, diversity and inclusion.

Popular Careers with Health Union Job Seekers