Health Union Reviews

Updated Dec 18, 2020

4.6
Health Union CEO and Co-Founder Olivier Chateau
Olivier Chateau
  1. "The best place to work!"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Media Account Services

I have been working at Health Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are so many pros to working at Health Union- 1. Transparency- Executive team and owners are honest with their employees and community members that visit our websites each day. (we have nothing to hide) 2. People- Everyone that works at HU feel like family, everyone cares for one another and no question is too stupid 3. Amazing Benefits- The benefits at HU are second to none! The VP and CEO have really thought hard about their employees and have provided us all with amazing benefits, including maternity and paternity leave. (Very hard to find) 4. Flexibility- HU is really about the people, the people in our online health communities, and the people that work there. One WFH day a week helps with work-life balance.

Cons

No cons whatsoever. The only thing I can think of is if you are considering a position, and are not in the city or in the surrounding areas (30 min ride) the commute can be challenging.

2. "Company Genuinely Cares About Employees"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Health Union full-time

Pros

Awesome PTO, benefits, younger company culture, work life balance is the best I've ever had

Cons

No negatives for me now

3. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Health Union full-time

Pros

HU has such a great culture, passionate people who want the company to succeed and get their job done, work/life balance is super important, so many positives for working at this company

Cons

Nothing really to say here

4. COVID-19

"It's worth the hype"

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Health Union is the best place I've ever worked, for so many reasons. It is such a passionate, energetic, and fun place to be. The work environment is warm and flexible. My co-workers are all amazing, open people who all show up every day for the same common goal - to support our communities and advocates.

Cons

I miss being at the office due to COVID-19 restrictions but HU is doing everything right remotely.

August 12, 2020VP, People

We think HU's worth the hype too! Thanks for your great feedback and for being part of helping to make HU a passionate, energetic and fun place to be! We're committed to staying on that path as we grow!

5. COVID-19

""Your Dream Company in Real Life!". Pet friendly, too!"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Health Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health Union remains focused on improving the overall quality and comfort of each team member, advocate, and community member. If you are seeking a company that is willing to discuss and consider each aspect of "work-life," then Health Union is the place that you should want to be! Health Union prides itself in being equitable to each employee across the company, I can say that as a whole each member of the leadership team (including managers) does an amazing job to ensure that they work on improving our company culture within every category, even in the face of limitations and challenges.

Cons

Every company will have it's hidden pain-points, however, as an employee, you are always able to highlight the challenges that you see. -Limited flexibility in remote working options (hopefully Post-COVID will allow for reconsideration of fully remote options or additional remote working days across all teams and occupational levels). -Lack of overall ethnic diversity within departments and within the company as a whole (though numbers are continuing to increase, which is very promising!) "As we continue to grow as a company, I can imagine that we will continue to have an increase in overall diversity, and more POC". -Be open to innovative approaches to help motivate team members that want to bring more to the table.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, culture, office location, freedom

Cons

None, great company and have had a great experience!

7. "Toxic Department Issues"

1.0
    Former Employee - Mid Level

I worked at Health Union full-time

Pros

- Free coffee - Unique physical office space - Can work from home one day a week - Company really does help people across the country who may be in some of the toughest moments of their lives.

Cons

can only speak for one department, which has several issues. Three out of five women on that ~20 person team have left since March. Other people within the department who have also left have almost all been replaced by friends or personal contacts of department leadership, who are almost solely white men. Interviews for those friends or personal contacts have been expedited at times, while I did not see that same response for people who were not personal contacts. Issues among department leadership have trickled down. Department preaches honesty, but beware if you have an opinion or approach that offers another viewpoint. Some people are routinely overloaded, while others on that same team are consistently looking for work, but work is not able to be shifted around. Those impacted are told to deal with it. Department leadership has laughed at direct reports on more than one occasion when those direct reports ask for help. Not every department may be this way; there are enough people within the company to get the company on the best places to work lists. Best advice: go in with open eyes.

August 20, 2020VP, People

Thank you for your review. While we appreciate you sharing your feedback, it is unfortunate that we did not have a chance to address more of these concerns with you directly. We would like to provide some additional perspective as we believe your experience is not representative of Health Union as a whole. We appreciate that you’ve mentioned our recognition by several organizations as a best place to work and we think our core values, including Inclusion and Transparency, have been a large part of our recognition for these awards. Frankly, receiving this recognition would not be possible without a sincere commitment to the people and culture at Health Union. With our focus on Inclusion and Transparency, we are committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion and to addressing disparities where they may exist. Please understand, that while we value referrals from employees very much, we are committed to a fair and impartial hiring process for all candidates, regardless of source. Additionally, we would strongly encourage any employee to come directly to HR or to executive leadership if they feel they are being treated unfairly or if there are concerns about a hiring process. We know that focusing on these core values means continuous effort towards improvement as there is always more to do. To that end, our employee-led Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) team is currently partnering with our leadership team to identify opportunities for change and improvement across the company. We are committed to the continuous development and enhancement of our culture.

8. COVID-19

"Doing Well at Doing Good"

Current Employee - Production Designer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Genuinely positive, supportive company culture *A more interesting variety of projects entrusted to entry-level employees than what many companies offer *Very kind, generous, and knowledgable collaborative environment across all levels of experience *Great and affordable health insurance options, bonus and benefits package, and perks *Dedication to improving the lives of people with chronic health conditions *Company practices what they preach on every level of operation; employee physical and mental health is supported through policy and culture just as much as audience personal wellbeing is supported through content. *People prioritized over policy; in the middle of a pandemic, the already generous policies in place are being expanded and tweaked all over the place to help people adjust to the structural changes of working from home. There is a lot of trust and compassion flowing in all directions.

Cons

*Open workspace can be a little distracting. Some departments are on the quieter side while others work better by thinking out loud, so when those different cohorts are positioned next to each other in an open space, there can be some (mostly unspoken) tension *We are beginning to outgrow our space and were feeling a little cramped before everyone switched to WFH. It will be interesting to see how things change when we can return to the office.

Continue reading
  9. "A Good, Solid Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the most compassionate company I've worked for. They walk the talk. A lot of companies say they care about their people. Here, it is absolutely true. Another interesting thing: everyone is smart, driven, competent and willing to help each other out. It may seem like an unusual callout, but I've worked at other places where the level of incompetence was astounding. At Health Union, the people are truly top notch and so kind and caring. You're given a lot of freedom to innovate and take action. If you're the type of person who enjoys complacency, this is not the place for you. Leadership team is outstanding. They are transparent and honest. They act like "real" people – no ego. HR is the best I've ever seen.

Cons

HU recently upgraded their healthcare plans (which we're all so happy and thankful for). They are way better than before. But it's only affordable if you're a single person. If you're married or have kids, it's pretty expensive. Yes, the coverage is very good. But it IS expensive. Also, the 401K match is low. It's below industry average. I've heard folks say that they almost didn't take the job because the 401K match was so low. That said, each year HU makes strides to keep on improving. And I have every confidence that improvements will be made in these 2 areas as well.

May 21, 2020VP, People

Thanks for sharing your review and we think you've highlighted some great themes about what makes HU a great place to work! We will keep working on managing our benefits offerings and costs as health insurance cost is a tough one for all employers but something we continue to focus on. One small clarification around our 401k plan for those who are interested, we actually do a 3% employee contribution for eligible employees (meaning it's actually not a match and we contribute the full 3% even if an employee contributes less). But there is always room for improvement. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

10. COVID-19

"Great Overall Experience As An Employee"

Current Employee - Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Health Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Honest, realistic leadership. This isn't a sexy, crazy startup - everything reflects the goals of long-term stability. The matra around their online communities is "build valuable, safe communities and the profit will follow", and it actually carries over to the company culture. you aren't going to see insane 10x market salaries or seven-digit growth that will take you from dock worker to VP in a week (there are lots of startups for that, this company is not one of them). But you will find that everything is built for a real long-term quality of life. This is week 2 of coronavirus-related full-remote at Health Union. I was very worried as I have worked full remote before and have run into some challenges. But somehow, HU has managed to be better at full remote work than many companies that do all the full-time. Communication has been spot-on at every level, from leadership all the way down to peer-to-peer. People are working and available. More things are happening in writing, which inadvertently creates documentation. I have had plenty of focus time, I am getting a ton of work done, and the pace has been only slightly faster than when we are onsite. It is great. The C-Suite has been really excellent about delivering REAL information to the team about the impact of COVID19 on us, our business, and our processes. They have been optimistic, yet realistic. Analytical people appreciate that candor.

Cons

You will make more in the same role elsewhere, no doubt about it. HU pays market rates for technical talent, and in the current climate most companies will pay quite a bit over market. You need to decide if it's worth the money - for me a healthy workplace, the opportunity to expand my skills as I see fit, the ability to leave work at the office when the day is done, and all while making a very good (but not ridiculous) salary, added up to the right choice. I took a paycut to come to HU. I would absolutely do it again.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 English Reviews