KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

1. 5.0

Great Company

Oct 13, 2021 - Director of Community Development in Philadelphia, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

they consider all employees in business decisions

Cons

can be difficult working with sick populations

VP, People

Thank you for sharing your experience. Our leadership actively works to maintain an environment where team members feel valued and we appreciate your mention that we consider our employees in our business decisions. It's our goal in all that we do. Our mission to help people with chronic health conditions live better can definitely be challenging but we also hope it is part of what makes the work rewarding as well. Thank you for your contributions to HU!

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Best Place to Work - for the chosen few

Sep 23, 2021 - Community Team
    Business Outlook

Pros

40-hour week Interesting work Benefits Mission lets you really help people

Cons

Management slow to implement much-needed change Uneven promotion and hiring practices Convoluted, inefficient workflows Passive-aggressive team culture Managers have definite favorites and that's who gets promoted and recognized. You're either a favorite or a servant. It is not safe to make a mistake, raise an issue, or complain because you will be punished.

10 people found this review helpful

VP, People

Thank you for your feedback. We’re happy to hear that you found the work at Health Union interesting. We’re sorry to hear that you felt that management was slow to implement change and that the promotion practices or opportunities related to sharing concerns didn’t meet your needs. As a fast paced growth-oriented company, our processes are always evolving. While change is constant, we’ve worked hard to maintain continuity in the various mechanisms available to share feedback with the HR/People team, as well as through the career framework we use to establish a foundation for ongoing dialogue. We’re sorry these tools didn’t work for you. We take pride in showing appreciation for our people and will take this feedback seriously. Thank you again and best of luck.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good culture but likes to underpay and lowball

Aug 24, 2021 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leaders lead with good intentions. Respectful and inclusive culture. Easy going work environment. Smart and genuine co workers. Great place for entry level folks. Good business model

Cons

Upper managements have favorites. They only tend to promote their favorites. Way underpay their employees. They use the bonus system to trick you into negotiating less. With their business model they should be able to respect their employees more, salary wise. Many of us have second jobs to support our family. Limited to no room for career growth depends on your role. Some departments have unsuitable managers. HR has no help on solving internal conflict. Executives like to over promise to us, hence lots of loyal folks left this year.

6 people found this review helpful

VP, People

Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate your feedback and would like to share some additional perspective. Health Union strives to create a fair and inclusive culture, as you pointed out, which also informs our approach to compensation and advancement. All Health Union employees participate in a comprehensive performance evaluation and development process annually, in which managers and employees collaborate to set goals and evaluate their achievement. We utilize this process to drive our merit-based annual salary increases and promotions across the company. All recommendations are reviewed by executive leadership and HR to promote consistency. We are always striving to improve our processes, and we are committed to a fair, equitable and competitive approach to compensation, growth and development for all employees.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

I LOVE MY JOB

Feb 22, 2021 - Production Designer in Philadelphia, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's true what they say about HU being the best place to work, and there actually is no catch. I feel like everyone treats one another with respect and dignity, my time and effort is valued and praised, and I learn so much from my peers and colleagues. There is the opportunity for bonuses based on overall company performance, and the CEO's genuinely care about their employees while maintaining a humble and down to earth personality. We get great perks, such as professional development funds, health/dental/vision insurance, and 20 PTO days yearly. I am treated fairly and I feel very fortunate to actually have a job where I am so much more than a cog in the wheel. Corporate company with a non-profit feel, and the peace of mind knowing that this work is genuinely impactful for a lot of people living with chronic conditions.

Cons

I would estimate that about 10-15% of the company are minorities. It lacks diversity and most, if not all, executives are white. However, I do commend their initiatives to create a more diversified company, but I fear that it might result in well-intentioned tokenism. All of the co-workers are respectful and kind to each other, and I have not witnessed any insensitivity or micro-aggressions in all of my time at HU.

VP, People

Thank you very much for your feedback on your experiences here at Health Union and we are glad to hear that you love your job. That's fantastic. We appreciate your candid feedback as well. We are committed to hiring employees based on their skill sets and qualifications. We are excited about recent strides in our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts and look forward to continuing to promote an equitable and respectful environment for everyone. If you'd like to discuss further, we welcome you to reach out to the HR/People team and/or to explore joining our DEI committee. Thanks again!

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Best company to work for

Sep 16, 2021 - Management
    Business Outlook

Pros

Transparent, human focused, visionary, great culture, leadership constantly challenges you, tons of opportunities. Best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Standardized pay across teams (which is already in motion). They continue to listen to consistently advance.

VP, People

Thank you for sharing your experience and we’re excited to hear that Health Union is the best place you have worked. Our leadership team is working hard to listen and advance the company and our people as you mentioned. We are committed to creating an environment where team members feel valued and have opportunities to grow their careers!

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's all a facade

Aug 25, 2021 - Community Development
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance is doable most of the time. Paid maternity/paternity leave. Casual dress code.

Cons

HU claims to care about their people, but they only care about you if you chug the Kool-Aid. If you have any concerns they will gaslight you until you no longer feel comfortable speaking up about anything anymore. Community leads are also expected to sugarcoat how their communities are doing so leadership doesn't get upset. Basically you need to put your head down and pretend everything is ok, but also make sure you get enough "visibility," but not too much visibility or you're a show-off. They also say "please come to us if you have any issues," but if you actually have an issue then they'll use it against you. And god forbid you make a mistake - then you're in for it. I've been yelled at for the most insignificant things. It's all a giant catch-22 that eventually burns you out emotionally. The culture very much caters to the managers; employees have no way of affecting change without their manager tearing them apart. Community team leadership takes no responsibility for their part in this culture. On top of all of it, the pay ranges are all over the place. They will get away with paying you as little as they possibly can and then they'll be offended when you ask for more. They act like they have all these incredible benefits to make up for it, but it's nothing I couldn't find somewhere else.

8 people found this review helpful

VP, People

We appreciate you taking the time to share a review; and we would like to provide some additional perspective. Health Union strives to create positive experiences for all our employees. We disagree with your suggestion that feedback is discouraged or not appreciated. We frequently encourage feedback of all kinds from all employees, whether through regular 1:1 conversations between employees and managers, team meetings, “Ask Us Anything” Q&A sessions with company leaders at every company All Hands meeting, quarterly employee pulse surveys where feedback can be shared anonymously, and our open-door approach to communication in our company Handbook. We value feedback and believe it helps us to improve and grow. We also work to create a culture where employees have an opportunity to impact change in the workplace through multiple Employee Resource Groups and employee-led committees for important topics like Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and Corporate Social Responsibility. We will strive to continue to create opportunities for employees to share feedback, collaborate, and impact change across the company. Working together with our employees, Health Union continues to learn, grow and change for the better.

7. 5.0

Great place to work

Aug 11, 2021 - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work with a great leadership team

Cons

Not as much opportunity for growth as I had hoped

VP, People

Thank you for sharing your review! We think Health Union is a great place to work because of the people across the company on every team. We would also encourage you to reach out to your manager and your leadership team to talk about your goals and interests for career growth!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

"Your Dream Company in Real Life!". Pet friendly, too!

Jul 31, 2020 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Health Union remains focused on improving the overall quality and comfort of each team member, advocate, and community member. If you are seeking a company that is willing to discuss and consider each aspect of "work-life," then Health Union is the place that you should want to be! Health Union prides itself in being equitable to each employee across the company, I can say that as a whole each member of the leadership team (including managers) does an amazing job to ensure that they work on improving our company culture within every category, even in the face of limitations and challenges.

Cons

Every company will have it's hidden pain-points, however, as an employee, you are always able to highlight the challenges that you see. -Limited flexibility in remote working options (hopefully Post-COVID will allow for reconsideration of fully remote options or additional remote working days across all teams and occupational levels). -Lack of overall ethnic diversity within departments and within the company as a whole (though numbers are continuing to increase, which is very promising!) "As we continue to grow as a company, I can imagine that we will continue to have an increase in overall diversity, and more POC". -Be open to innovative approaches to help motivate team members that want to bring more to the table.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

The best place to work!

Dec 18, 2020 - Senior Manager Media Account Services
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many pros to working at Health Union- 1. Transparency- Executive team and owners are honest with their employees and community members that visit our websites each day. (we have nothing to hide) 2. People- Everyone that works at HU feel like family, everyone cares for one another and no question is too stupid 3. Amazing Benefits- The benefits at HU are second to none! The VP and CEO have really thought hard about their employees and have provided us all with amazing benefits, including maternity and paternity leave. (Very hard to find) 4. Flexibility- HU is really about the people, the people in our online health communities, and the people that work there. One WFH day a week helps with work-life balance.

Cons

No cons whatsoever. The only thing I can think of is if you are considering a position, and are not in the city or in the surrounding areas (30 min ride) the commute can be challenging.

10. 5.0

Great culture and mission

Apr 8, 2021 - Senior Research Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of transparency, high value placed on the employees, lots of investment into employees' wellbeing; company is also focused on helping patients and providing a space for them to find information and be validated

Cons

Workload can sometimes be a lot!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 38 Reviews

Health Union Reviews FAQs

81% of Health Union employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Health Union 4.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Health Union to be senior leadership, benefits, culture and the cons to be compensation, career development, diversity and inclusion.

Popular Careers with Health Union Job Seekers