Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina Reviews | Glassdoor

Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina Reviews

Updated July 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Catherine B. Templeton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "High Work/Life Value but Low & Stagnant Pay"

Former Employee - Hydrogeolgist II in Aiken, SC
    Former Employee - Hydrogeolgist II in Aiken, SC

I worked at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

37.5 hour work week with lots of leave compared to private sector. In general management was flexible and allowed for an adequate work/life balance.

Cons

Pay was very low compared to private sector and opportunity for upward mobility was low. There had been no real raises (other than to offset for retirement deduction increases) since around 2008. The only viable way to increase your pay was to apply and get higher paying internal positions. High variability in workload across different positions within the organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to be flexible and allow for adequate work-life balance and push for higher employee pay.

2. "Healthcare Administrative"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team work , laid back

Cons

No room to grow in future

3. "Environmental Health Manager I"

Former Employee - Environmental Health Manager I in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Environmental Health Manager I in Columbia, SC

I worked at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, Great experience, Amazing work time off.
    You will work on extremely interesting projects all the time. It turned out to be a great stepping stone for my next role as I knew what it was like to help regulate a 9 billion dollar industry in S.C.
    The People are fantastic, my bosses were great and are actually more like friends (can be this way because there is no real bottom line except serving the community), with excellent work life balance.

Cons

Pay, Pay and Pay. It literally takes an act of congress to get a raise. I got an Outstanding on a review and my pay was actually going to decrease as insurance was scheduled to go up with no cost of living increase.

Advice to Management

Nothing to lower/mid management. Upper management, come-on man, work on the pay. Other agencies are able to give raises based on the band system... why not SC DHEC. Right now the agency is trudging along at 70% staff and its only going to get worse. I did more work for less pay before I left.

4. "Great Benefits, Okay Pay"

Current Employee - Environmental Health Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible leave, especially if you have a family and children. Coworkers are like family and it's great to feel like you're helping the environment.

Cons

The pay is not great. There is not much room for growth. There is the occasional bonus or raise, but it is not by much. Also, upper management does not interact much with lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Talk to lower level employees to understand needs for the job. Budget better so that the Department has better tools to help the environment in South Carolina.

5. "Environmental Health Manager"

Former Employee - Environmental Health Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Environmental Health Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the Sample and Data Management section of the Bureau of Environmental Health Services. I loved the atmosphere, co-workers and accomplishment I felt from this job. Great benefits and paid time off.

Cons

No cross-training in other sections. Moral was low at times but seems to be getting better with new agency director.

Advice to Management

It would be very beneficial to have cross-training opportunities in different areas.

6. "Environmental Health Manager"

Former Employee - Environmental Health Manager in Mauldin, SC
    Former Employee - Environmental Health Manager in Mauldin, SC

I worked at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are yearning to work and protect the public, this is the place for you.

Cons

You won't make a fortune working here. If you join and wish to stay, remember that you are not in it for the money

7. ":)"

Former Employee - Cleaning Lady in Sun Prairie, WI
    Former Employee - Cleaning Lady in Sun Prairie, WI

I worked at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job co-workers (if you get them) are all very sweet and kind. Company is very understanding and works with the employees to ensure they are safe and happy.

Cons

Not for people who cannot be alone. Some of the places you have to clean at can be quite creepy to say the very least.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work miss you guys.

8. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Environmental Health Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience, work-life balance, smart people, no drama

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities, uncompetitive salaries

Advice to Management

Hire more IT people.

9. "Plan for the short-term"

Former Employee - Nutritionist II in Summerville, SC
    Former Employee - Nutritionist II in Summerville, SC

Pros

Ample vacation and sick leave, many state holidays. If you get in with the right clinic, the co-workers can be amazing.

Cons

Little to no opportunity for advancement. Common sense is acknowledged but often against "policy," leaving employees frustrated in their work.

10. "Human Resources Department (WIC)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at Health and Environmental Control Department of South Carolina (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provide good WIC services to clients.

Cons

Work ethics are terrible, they accuse you of doing things that you did not do. Talk behind your back. They do not appreciate good workers. A lot of double standards.