HealthSpring Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Herb Fritch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay, part of a good company (Cigna) (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, flexibility and potential for growth (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no training, which scares off new employees very quickly (in 5 reviews)

• Difficult and fustrasting at times due to lack of communication (in 3 reviews)

1. "Auditor"

Former Employee - Audit Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Audit Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at HealthSpring full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers great benefits including flexible work arrangements. The people are very close-knit, so many opportunities to build positive relationships.

Cons

Overall, this is a good company to work for. It is great for those who love a work-life or life-work balance. No cons really but patience is key with trying to move projects forward.

2. "Good company, growing fast"

Former Employee - Informatics Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Informatics Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at HealthSpring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/ life balance, managers care about employees

Cons

Not enough IT resources, teams work in silos instead of as an enterprise

Advice to Management

Ensure your employees receive the training and resources they need.

3. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hoover, AL

I worked at HealthSpring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had my own office, i didn't have to sit in a little cubicle. For the most part it was pretty laid back and i loved it.

Cons

I had to answer a switchboard which had 7 different lines. That could be very stressful at times.

Advice to Management

I loved my manager. Her name was Carisha Pardue. She did a lot for me and i did a lot for her

4. "It's not what I thought"

Current Employee - Appeals Customer Service Advocate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Appeals Customer Service Advocate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time

Pros

Benefits are great.
    Work Life Balance

Cons

Lack of communication
    Ineffective leadership
    Inexperienced leadership
    Low Morale

Advice to Management

Management must take more time to meet with front line employees. There should be team meetings. No employee should feel that its Tennessee versus Baltimore. Teach your middle management how to effectively communicate with their subordinates.

5. "Very horrible experience"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Bedford, TX

I worked at HealthSpring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, partially work at home

Cons

Management, overload of paperwork, no work family balance , poor training , no support

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, provide an adequate structured training for professionals. Provide patients with items they need.

6. "Healthspring"

Former Employee - Bravo to Healthspring Employee
    Former Employee - Bravo to Healthspring Employee

I worked at HealthSpring full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You literally can't get fired for poor performance, but you can for not being in the right cliques.

Cons

Cigna Healthspring positions are awarded by who you are friends with not by skill set. This extends to the management level positions.

Lack of training and skill set leads to employees doing everything but what's on the job description.

Leadership takes no interest in the day to day operations, for this to be a large company, constantly focused on growth, it has no congruence at all. Could this be why 2016 CMS Sanctions were imposed? I think so.

Advice to Management

Hire an outside consultant to give an unbiased view of what's wrong then ....(drum roll) Fix it!

7. "Low paying"

Pros

Fairly good work environment with positive and encouraging co-workers.

Cons

Low pay and little opportunity for bonuses.

Advice to Management

Take better car of your employees.Good ole boy network strong in this organization.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Part D Reconciliation in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Part D Reconciliation in Nashville, TN

I worked at HealthSpring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunchs occasionally. Nice office.

Cons

Inefficient micromanaging from people who have no idea how to get the job done.

Advice to Management

I worked MAPD and PD enrollment and election changes, upload and download files from CMS to make sure eople were on the right plan and monthly capitation was received from CMS. I did everything by the book, coming from Humana I had experience on how things should be done. It infuriated me that management was intent on keeping things the way they were and refused to adopt best practice procedure. Per CMS, the COO must sign off on all BAE (Best Available Evidence) to correct members LIS status with CMS. I got together the required information to help members get the correct subsidy, only to be told that the COO "Doesn't have time for that nonsense". What?!? It does not surprise me that after I left and they choose to not maintain the CMS eligibility file any longer that sanctions were given by CMS. Many MAPD and PD appeals were worked personally by myself each and every day, to know that it was totally abandoned after my departure was a shock. There are good people there for sure, but the ones running the show have no accountability or sense of responsibility to adhere to CMS guidelines.

"Lack of Leadership Accountability"

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience for your next position

Cons

No training or support. No tools or resources to do your job. Functions like a start up in operations. Under CMS sanctions because of leaderships inabiltiy to keep each other accountable. Old boys club. Poor decision making skills at the leadership - clueless on their own operations.

10. "Ok for Seasonal Work"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Agent in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Agent in Nashville, TN

I worked at HealthSpring (More than a year)

Pros

Worked in their Call Center during Annual Enrollment. Stayed busy on and off. Call volume seemed to depend on what advertising was being done in the local area, and the calls really varied between agents. The fellow agents were great to work with. Most of the supervisors and management were fine but a few were really testy and seemed very pressured.

Cons

Long hours but that was expected during the Annual Enrollment. Main complaint is environmental -> the cubicles were very small and the agents were really close to each other. This made hearing the callers tough at some times, and we got multiple complaints by callers about being able to hear other agents, and it was very distracting. In addition, the space was not sufficient enough to hold all the information we needed access to. We had to have piles of information on the floor at our feet. The money was just ok. No benefits, of course, as these were contract positions.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to people in the halls. Some supervisors and managers would not even speak to some of the agents and were very rude. Not me, but we noticed this behavior.