HealthSpring Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Herb Fritch

Pros
  • Good pay, part of a good company (Cigna) (in 8 reviews)

• Casual work environment - jeans every Friday (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no training, which scares off new employees very quickly (in 5 reviews)

• Very poor middle management and human resource treatment (in 3 reviews)

1. "Ok for Seasonal Work"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Agent in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Agent in Nashville, TN

I worked at HealthSpring (More than a year)

Pros

Worked in their Call Center during Annual Enrollment. Stayed busy on and off. Call volume seemed to depend on what advertising was being done in the local area, and the calls really varied between agents. The fellow agents were great to work with. Most of the supervisors and management were fine but a few were really testy and seemed very pressured.

Cons

Long hours but that was expected during the Annual Enrollment. Main complaint is environmental -> the cubicles were very small and the agents were really close to each other. This made hearing the callers tough at some times, and we got multiple complaints by callers about being able to hear other agents, and it was very distracting. In addition, the space was not sufficient enough to hold all the information we needed access to. We had to have piles of information on the floor at our feet. The money was just ok. No benefits, of course, as these were contract positions.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to people in the halls. Some supervisors and managers would not even speak to some of the agents and were very rude. Not me, but we noticed this behavior.

2. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Part D Reconciliation in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Part D Reconciliation in Nashville, TN

I worked at HealthSpring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunchs occasionally. Nice office.

Cons

Inefficient micromanaging from people who have no idea how to get the job done.

Advice to Management

I worked MAPD and PD enrollment and election changes, upload and download files from CMS to make sure eople were on the right plan and monthly capitation was received from CMS. I did everything by the book, coming from Humana I had experience on how things should be done. It infuriated me that management was intent on keeping things the way they were and refused to adopt best practice procedure. Per CMS, the COO must sign off on all BAE (Best Available Evidence) to correct members LIS status with CMS. I got together the required information to help members get the correct subsidy, only to be told that the COO "Doesn't have time for that nonsense". What?!? It does not surprise me that after I left and they choose to not maintain the CMS eligibility file any longer that sanctions were given by CMS. Many MAPD and PD appeals were worked personally by myself each and every day, to know that it was totally abandoned after my departure was a shock. There are good people there for sure, but the ones running the show have no accountability or sense of responsibility to adhere to CMS guidelines.

3. "Lack of Leadership Accountability"

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience for your next position

Cons

No training or support. No tools or resources to do your job. Functions like a start up in operations. Under CMS sanctions because of leaderships inabiltiy to keep each other accountable. Old boys club. Poor decision making skills at the leadership - clueless on their own operations.

"Going down hill..."

I worked at HealthSpring full-time

Pros

Good pay, part of a good company (Cigna).

Cons

Management is unfair and plays favoritism, no training or support, expected to work as many hours as they tell you on short notice or you get written up and eventually fired, very high turn over, all new management who has no clue how to do the job so unable to assist when needed but quick to write you up for performance and errors, allows other employees to "error log" other employees in turn creating a hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing other employees to "error log" their peers and sending email after email telling them they did something wrong, but unable to explain why or how when you ask questions. Train the employees better which may help with the high turn over. Treat the employees like they are human beings and stop the "baby-talk." Get rid of the supervisor who yells at her employees in front of the entire floor for everyone to hear. Try to run the company like Cigna does and you could be much better and probably wouldn't be sanctioned by the government.

"VERY POOR TREATMENT"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bourbonnais, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bourbonnais, IL

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is okay at best.

Cons

Poor work-life balance.
    Constant mandatory overtime.
    Sanctioned by the US Government.
    New management treats everyone very poorly.
    Very rude management.
    No structure.
    Ever since HealthSpring took over the Cigna portion of medicare everything has gone horrible. Complete failure of the transition and lack of communication. No wonder why we're sanctioned.
    No guidance or support.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings. Stop mandating 10+ hours of overtime every week and writing people up and firing them for not being able to work the mandatory overtime on such short notice. Most of us have kids. Go back to the way things were when Cigna was in charge.

7. "Specialist"

Current Employee - Specialist in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Phila, PA

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I dont know that at this time I can truly think of any pros, it once was a great place to work...

Cons

Many acquisitions going on as far the company itself goes. Management can be somewhat "petty"...but I guess this is everywhere you go.

Advice to Management

None

8. "Customer service representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Bedford, TX

I worked at HealthSpring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay flexible hours

Cons

Poor management inadequate training no support system favoritism

Advice to Management

Ensure that all procedure are followed when it comes to all employees do not pick and choose make sure that your employees are well trained and have a support system

"Healthcare management"

Current Employee - Physician, Hospitalist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Physician, Hospitalist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthSpring full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Help with patient assessment

Cons

Not sure what Cons to include

Advice to Management

My employment will be of value of your company

10. "Good company"

I worked at HealthSpring full-time

Pros

Overall was a good company

Cons

Was purchased lost small company feel

11. "Don't join the Texas case management team"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at HealthSpring full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great. The pay was good previously but has fallen since Cigna took over. The work of the job is enjoyable.

Cons

Cigna cares about bottom line numbers. They take short cuts and put inadequate people in management and director positions. The people in charge of the case management department at not adequately licensed or knowledgeable for managing a team of mostly nurses. There is a problem when an LVN is supervising RNs and employees with Masters degrees.

Advice to Management

Listen to you employees feedback. This department has been taken over by a reign of terror.