HealthStream Reviews in Laurel, MD | Glassdoor

Updated November 30, 2016

Laurel, MD

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HealthStream Chairman, President, and CEO Robert A. Frist Jr.
Robert A. Frist Jr.

Pros
  • Generally positive atmosphere with really great people as co-workers (in 7 reviews)

• This is a fast growing company with a lot of good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary for long term employees is often not near market (in 3 reviews)

• They do not engage remote employees effectively and the benefits (particularly 401k match) are not great (in 4 reviews)

1. "Operations Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Laurel, MD

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Great management group and a wonderful environment. One of the best companies I've ever worked for!

Cons

The pay is not competitive with similar positions. The tools given to succeed are outdated, but the expectations are the same.

"Interviewer"

Former Employee - Phone Interviewer in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Phone Interviewer in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

QA is AMAZING and they really are awesome. The Team Lead for QA is top notch. He is personable, friendly, hard working, always has a smile on his face, very easy to talk to and is really just an amazing guy. The rest of the QA staff are just as terrific.

Cons

If you don't like your team lead you are screwed!!! Most of the tem leads and supervisors are very nice. If you happen to get one of the mean ones, you are doomed! It all depends on who you are, and if they like you. If they like you, you can get away with anything and I mean anything! You can get caught with your cell phone and that is overlooked. You can BS with your supervisor for 15/20 minutes and not be on the phone doing any work and that is okay too. It all depends on who you are and if they like you as to what you can get away with. It's a shame that they get rid of really good hard working employees and keep the ones that hardly do anything. I wish they had cameras in the call center so Mr. Frist could see what really goes on! You can also be in the red every day or just about every day and that's okay too, they don't care. Some new temps are as low as sixty-some percent and they could care less. There is a Team Lead that is extremely unfair and I don't know how he ever got the job he did because he's terrible!

Advice to Management

Get rid of Team 1 Nighttime Team Lead as he is useless and I mean USELESS! When you ask him a question he says I'll let you know and he never does. He always runs out of surveys because he's too busy sitting behind his desk playing on his phone and doesn't pay attention to the surveys and if we're about to run out. He hates being asked questions so I don't know why he even wanted a Team Lead position to begin with. His favorites are the young black women and if that's not you, you're in trouble. He is the most unfair person I have ever worked for in my entire life. Team 1 sucks and Team 1 Supervisor is a nasty person as well. I know a lot of people don't like her too.

3. "Not Worth the effort"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Pros

Use to be a family environment. If you work in Nashville there is room to grow. Company events.

Cons

Laurel location gets treated as an afterthought. Management is horrible. No room to grow

Advice to Management

Give your employees a voice, don't make decisions without finding all information

"Many employees with 10+ years have left in droves"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people do work there
    Raises are possible (if advancement is rare)

Cons

Lack of communication company-wide
    Air of distrust leads to friction between departments that is unnecessary, and often unjustified
    Long-term employees becoming a rarity
    Benefits have cut (no stock options, EAP benefits decreased)

Advice to Management

I had written on numerous annual reviews that they should review this site, since it's hard to believe they do much in the way of exit interviews.

6. "Great Workplace"

Current Employee - Phone Interviewer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Phone Interviewer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay Reasonable Hours Considerate Staff

Cons

Testing to get the job more personal space

Advice to Management

None

7. "Laurel"

Former Employee - Operations in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Operations in Laurel, MD

Pros

Casual Dress Code. Birthday Celebration Cake

Cons

The Laurel office was a different company before it was bought over by HealthStream. The Laurel office is treated like the step child you do not want. The Pay is horrible and the employees in Laurel are treated badly. There is no 401k match. There is no room for growth. People keep doing the same thing over and over again for years. It is very monotonous and boring. The office does not close when it snows, you are expected to use your PTO or come in to the office. If you do not use your PTO you have to make up the time or use PTO. The Managers and those with laptops get to work from home but the rest of the office has to come in.

"High Descrimination"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is very interested in a family environment. The higher ups encourage a healthy work-life balance. The company attempts to build pride in the organization through company events, giveaways and functions outside of the building to further emphasize that family dynamic.

Cons

Horrible communication: In the sales division, and overall corporate design, this large company is still ran like a Mom and Pop in many ways. Too many changes to the company structure. For example, just recently an entire division was scrapped, another division went from salaried to hourly and positions are being cut left and right without notice to employees who have been with the company for nearly a decade. There is now, and has been for the past 5 years, a strong belief that there is no place for people of certain ethnicity to grow in the company. Benefits are horrible.

Advice to Management

Do not lie to employees. Do not retain so many temporary employees. Put together a genuine HR staff in the Laurel, Maryland office. Leave the technical and corporate jargon alone if the intention is to have a family dynamic. Expand opportunities for employees to truly move up in the company. Please look at some of the top companies, study their benefit and compensation packages, and follow suit.

9. "very strict"

Former Employee - Interviewer in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream part-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy job
    no real pressure or quotas

Cons

very very boring
    supervisors are jerks
    company is inefficient

Advice to Management

treat employees better and with more freedom

"Ideals did not match actions"

Former Employee - Analyst in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Analyst in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The group I worked with was a very strong team that trusted individuals to take responsibility but would pitch in where needed.

Cons

Despite talk of growth potential, there was absolutely no opportunity. Operations were segmented so there was no natural progression of sills or responsibility. I knew very few people who ever changed positions, even after years of working there. Beyond that,, salary was absurdly low, not just on the low end of the market, but probably 25% lower than the bottom of the market range

"HSTM does not value its employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you’re a glass-half-full person, you could say that job security was a huge pro. There was so much work to be done in my department that I knew I never had to worry about it running out. Of course, glass-half-empty, that means I was consistently overworked and execs seemed to have no concern about appropriate staffing.

Cons

Where to begin? See above: the amount of work I was doing was ridiculous. Our department's workload more than doubled over the last 3 years, but in that time, we only hired one additional person. When I gave my notice and my boss asked me why I was leaving, he was surprised that I said I was overworked. With his next breath, he asked if I would come in evenings after working a full day at my new job to help them stay caught up. Um, no thanks!

Benefits and pay were horrible. All we would hear from the execs was how great the company was doing and how much money we were making. This money was not re-invested in the employees. At my interview for my new job, the people interviewing me laughed when I gave them a ballpark # for what I was making at HSTM. I once offered a job to a guy who turned it down because he was going to make more money at the PEACE CORPS. Think about that one! No matching 401K and no tuition reimbursement. I'm already getting more time off at my new job than I did after 7 years at HSTM. (And I was earning the absolute maximum at HSTM.)

Communication was absolutely pathetic. Execs were seemingly incapable of understanding how important it is to tell people what is going on. I was amazed at how little I was told as manager. I would find out second- or third-hand about decisions that directly affected my department.

Unfair treatment: Some "leaders" got to work from home and work some interesting hours (like rolling in at 10 and leaving at 3). Doesn’t exactly make you feel engaged and motivated to work hard.

Our job was market research, with one of the main branches of that being employee satisfaction. The last internal employee survey we did was 3 years ago and we never got the results. It was like the company hoped we would all get collective amnesia. Considering that the year before, when they actually did let us know the results, they did nothing to solve any of the issues that were presented, I guess they figured it would be easier to just pretend the survey never happened.

There is no career development. I was never offered any management training and when you combine that with having supervisors who are totally disconnected, it means I was on my own.

The last year or so I was there, it was all about quantity, not quality. Let's sell, sell, sell and not worry about whether or not you have the resources to deliver what was promised. And make sure everyone is focused on arbitrary deadlines, and not on delivering a quality product to clients.

Advice to Management

Over the last 2 years or so, many long-time, valuable employees have left. This is not a coincidence. If you do not begin to value your employees by paying them more, providing better benefits, and staffing appropriately so that people are not completely stressed out, this "brain drain" is only going to get worse.

Learn how to communicate effectively. Understand that it is better to be open and honest, even about negative things, than to let rumors fester.

Stop writing fake Glass Door reviews. (Either the Feb. 28 review was written by a PR person or it's a parody.)