HealthStream Reviews | Glassdoor

HealthStream Reviews

Updated February 21, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HealthStream Chairman, President, and CEO Robert A. Frist Jr.
Robert A. Frist Jr.

Pros
  • Generally positive atmosphere with really great people as co-workers (in 7 reviews)

• This is a fast growing company with a lot of good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary for long term employees is often not near market (in 3 reviews)

• They do not engage remote employees effectively and the benefits (particularly 401k match) are not great (in 4 reviews)

1. "Would not reccomend"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at HealthStream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, if you don't like working at all. No accountability. Good health benefits.

Cons

poor pay. poor management. poor operations. poor implementations. healthstream does not know how to keep employees or engage them. my team had 75% turnover in the first year i was there.

Advice to Management

engage your employees. take the time to invest in them. dont take 2 months vacation. work harder. actually work.

"Phone Interviewer"

I worked at HealthStream part-time

Pros

Easy to get the job, occasional office events, good ceo

Cons

Pay could be better, work gets more difficult and longer and the pay doesn't increase with it

Advice to Management

Hire better supervisors and team leads

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at HealthStream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*The People
    *Highly engaged CEO who is very motivating
    *The vision, mission, and values
    *The Products - the company works hard to provide quality products and services that improve the quality of healthcare.

Cons

*No work/life balance
    *New sales leadership has no respect for the culture of the company and no respect for seasoned, successful, loyal employees (CEO used to value loyal employees, but with the growth of the co, that has changed)
    *They're hiring a new workforce with an average age of 24-25 and no healthcare experience
       (and many lack professionalism)
    *Terrible healthcare benefits package with a $4,000+ deductible - and there is only one option
    *No women or minorities in leadership positions. None.
    *Huge compensation disparity between men and women
    *No retirement plan, matching 1%???
    *No support from leadership
    *No opportunity to be promoted or advance with the company
    *The salaries are well below the industry standards
    *New sales leaders cut all sales bonuses for meeting milestones, annual quotas, or president's club
    *Arrogant directors and leaders

Advice to Management

There were major negative changes that changed the company's culture. New Sales Leadership offers no support or guidance - and he does not value employees, only revenues. He reduced compensation dramatically, which negatively impacted people's standard of living. When you don't feel valued, it is demotivating and discouraging.

"Interviewer"

Former Employee - Phone Interviewer in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Phone Interviewer in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

QA is AMAZING and they really are awesome. The Team Lead for QA is top notch. He is personable, friendly, hard working, always has a smile on his face, very easy to talk to and is really just an amazing guy. The rest of the QA staff are just as terrific.

Cons

If you don't like your team lead you are screwed!!! Most of the tem leads and supervisors are very nice. If you happen to get one of the mean ones, you are doomed! It all depends on who you are, and if they like you. If they like you, you can get away with anything and I mean anything! You can get caught with your cell phone and that is overlooked. You can BS with your supervisor for 15/20 minutes and not be on the phone doing any work and that is okay too. It all depends on who you are and if they like you as to what you can get away with. It's a shame that they get rid of really good hard working employees and keep the ones that hardly do anything. I wish they had cameras in the call center so Mr. Frist could see what really goes on! You can also be in the red every day or just about every day and that's okay too, they don't care. Some new temps are as low as sixty-some percent and they could care less. There is a Team Lead that is extremely unfair and I don't know how he ever got the job he did because he's terrible!

Advice to Management

Get rid of Team 1 Nighttime Team Lead as he is useless and I mean USELESS! When you ask him a question he says I'll let you know and he never does. He always runs out of surveys because he's too busy sitting behind his desk playing on his phone and doesn't pay attention to the surveys and if we're about to run out. He hates being asked questions so I don't know why he even wanted a Team Lead position to begin with. His favorites are the young black women and if that's not you, you're in trouble. He is the most unfair person I have ever worked for in my entire life. Team 1 sucks and Team 1 Supervisor is a nasty person as well. I know a lot of people don't like her too.

"Poor employee training and support"

Pros

Nice work space. Comfortable clean environment.

Cons

The management/company glosses over it's weaknesses in the area employee training and support.

Advice to Management

Show that you value talented employees and your company will gain value.

"Things that make you go "huh""

Pros

Fantastic CEO, mission, vision, and values

Cons

Leadership at all levels below the CEO seems dysfunctional. Teamwork among the many dynamics that make up the company is very splintered throughout. There are some in the company who do a lot of work for the benefit of the mission/vision, but many who do not.

Advice to Management

Keep the end goal in mind, if the mission is to help healthcare workers become better and more productive, then practice what you preach. Use the content within the company for your own people.

"Many employees with 10+ years have left in droves"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I worked at HealthStream full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people do work there
    Raises are possible (if advancement is rare)

Cons

Lack of communication company-wide
    Air of distrust leads to friction between departments that is unnecessary, and often unjustified
    Long-term employees becoming a rarity
    Benefits have cut (no stock options, EAP benefits decreased)

Advice to Management

I had written on numerous annual reviews that they should review this site, since it's hard to believe they do much in the way of exit interviews.

"Flexible work environment due to no leadership or accountability"

I have been working at HealthStream full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tons of flexibility, including the ability to really do little work. The unfortunate side of the flexibility is that it is due to lack of leadership, vision, and accountability for poor performance. This is a cultural issue with HealthStream that is entirely systemic.

Cons

Tend to pay 15 - 25% under the going industry rate with no support from leadership and no real solutions to continually recurring problems.

Advice to Management

Use your own products to understand how to create a better work environment for motivated employees. Your management forces motivated top performers out or requires them to adjust expectations to meaningless mediocrity.

"On the decline"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at HealthStream full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best Learning Management System on the market, CEO is truly dedicated to the company

Cons

products are rushed to release, management is top-heavy, several salaried positions recently went to hourly, too many resources focused on bringing in new customers vs retaining current ones.

"TEAM LEADS ARE ONE OF THE MAIN ISSUES FOR BEING A PHONE INTERVIEWER IN LAUREL MD"

Pros

Customers that you call to try to get them to do the hospital survey are hilarious. You will talk to some of the weirdest people but they will make you day and give you a story to tell your friends the rest of you lives.

Cons

Everyone is always sick because there is something wrong with the air ventilation system in the work place or something but people were constantly sick. You work in one giant open room so germs can travel fast. If you get sick even a little probably should not come to work because your co-worker (as nice as they are) seem to be hypochondriacs and don't want you around and will constantly complain all day about it. The surveys are the same surveys over and over and over again, this job is most repitive job ever. You have to follow the script completely because its the goverment mandated surveys. For instance if you say "how often did doctors listen carefully to you?" When the script says "how often did the doctors listen carefully to you?" You lose points on the scale that your judged on and get a less grade by 20 points which is always ridiculous.If your a very social person do not come here this place is extremely hard to develop relationships as all day every day you are calling people to get them to partake in a survey, making it very hard to communicate with coworkers. Lastly the team leads are mean, lazy, lack communication skills and not helpful. I had one instance where I had a terrible sinus infection for three days and had already had a vacation planned later that week. On the third day I had called Healthstream and left a message to let them know I had faxed them a sick note. Later that day I got a call from my team lead who actually was pissed because I should have waited to give her the note a week later when I got back from vacation instead of faxing it. So for doing the reponsible thing I got called by my supervisor to have her yell at me for a minute because she wasn't ready to receive the note......Really? Really?

Advice to Management

Replace the supervisor/team leads with friendlier, non lazy and more helpful people. The team lead LITERALLY do absolutly nothing. The only two that were any nice or good were from Team 3 at the time of my employment and I was on Team 1 led by a dreadful woman who needs to be fired but should remain annoymous.