HealthTap Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Pros
  • a place to truly have the impacts to change the world, (in 6 reviews)

• But when you create a core team with these traits, you have a small group of people with which even the hardest problems are solvable (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough to find a work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• There is a lot of pressure to work long, hard hours and have a "healthy sense of urgency" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting, energizing, challenging, impactful"

Pros

The people here are smart, they work hard, they're good people. The tech we create will help people universally worldwide and is game-changing. The market expectations and social responsibility is huge. This is the place to be.

Cons

Based on what we hear in company meetings in terms of what is coming up in this year, the needs will be high for more hands on deck. We need to build hiring momentum SIGNIFICANTLY on all fronts

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because clearly something is working well. But don't lose the goodness in the people and mission along the way. And never stop improving and optimizing the company!

"A team on a genuine mission to change the world for the better"

Current Employee - Product in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Product in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Hypersmart people and cross-disciplinary team with top education and professional backgrounds
    * A product that is saving lives and is universally useful to billions of people around the world. (Gives the work a sense of purpose)
    * A mission-drive, change-the-world kind of culture with people who want to build the next huge company
    * A team that has a proven track record of rapid execution

Cons

* Scaling comes along with growing pains. The company has an opportunity and need to define processes and infrastructure that will transform it from a startup (that sometimes has to be in firefighting mode) to a well-oiled machine
    * The office could use more private meetings spaces for phone calls and meetings. Probably will have to expand to a new space after the next round of hires

Advice to Management

* Hire people with the right cultural fit -- self-starters, passionate about the mission, goals and deadline oriented, and those with a tolerance and enthusiasm for intensity in their work. The next batch of hires will be important in helping shape and scale the culture of the company.

"Great people doing good in the world"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HealthTap has the same values and mission as a non-profit, but is on the way to being a very successful company. The team is very smart and motivated. Everyone works hard, is goal oriented, and produces amazing results. People are also very nice to each other (which was not the case at another company I worked for where people were driven). The team knows they are helping people and that inspires them to go the extra mile. I never saw any office politics or people competing internally. Everyone works together as a team.

Cons

It's still a startup, which is wonderful in many ways, but I ultimately decided was not for me. Some of the things that big companies offer (bigger teams, multiple team managers and multiple project managers, roles and projects that are smaller, more focused, and longer term) aren't going to be offered for a while at a company of this size.

"Inspiring and Motivating Learning Journey"

Current Employee - Talent and Happiness in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Talent and Happiness in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People, motivating work, doing good for many on a large scale, company mission, values, knowing that people are getting help and answers to the most pressing issues in their lives all for free. There is nothing more satisfying and inspiring than knowing that your work has a direct impact on helping to ameliorate someone's well-being.

Cons

Limited Parking - but on the plus side that really encourages people to go green and be environmentally friendly by taking Caltrain or even walking a bit after parking in the residential neighborhood nearby. So in reality - it's all about the attitude you adopt!

Advice to Management

Expedite scaling up to make HealthTap available to everyone globally.

"Amazing ride with a great team"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, management, business plan and prospects. This company is fulfilling a huge market need, growing fast, and has already saved over 10000 lives in the process, how cool is that?

Cons

Long hours, but well worth it

Advice to Management

Go go go -- your work is saving lives!

"Fast-moving gem"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make a difference in the world, work with a world-class team, fun team...Very stimulating work. Leadership team is very passionate, and I strongly believe will make this a very successful company, perhaps even IPO in the next 1-2 years. Also has a great family environment, free catered food

Cons

Working from home is not yet part of the culture

Advice to Management

Move fast, and go IPO :-)

"Wonderful people, wonderful culture!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my role, I work one on one with the CEO. I want to stress what a inspirational leader he is. It is a lot of hard work, but whenever I feel overwhelmed, Ron is supportive helping me strike a good work/life balance. He has an 'open-door' policy that many CEOs wouldn't even consider, where any employee can talk to him about issues they are having, which is great and truly lives up to the openness and transparency value.

The people I work with are amazing, and I count many of then as close friends. Being surrounded by such positive energy and brilliant people from such diverse backgrounds makes me excited to come to work everyday. I enjoy spending time with them in the office, but also love our excursions to Santa Cruz to surf or going on coffee runs.

We have cool perks and a fun culture. Part of my job is planning company events like picnics (we have the best griller!) and company movie nights. We also always have a plethora of yummy and healthy snacks. One of my favorite perks is the subsidized gym membership. It's great to take a break to go work out and come back to the office feeling energized.

Cons

-Not enough office space...we are constantly having to conduct interviews outside or taking calls in the hallway.
    -Good communication can often be an issue in a fast-paced environment.
    -Personally, I'm not a fan of the open office space. I find that I often get distracted.

"Inspiring vision, fabulous people, great leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

1. Feeling great about what you do
    2. Thinking about your users are real people with real needs you can help (not thinking about users as just people you want to make do stuff or make money from)
    3. Solving technical problems while helping people
    4. Fun office environment and some of the nicest and smartest people you’ll ever work with
    5. The people and great leadership (especially the CEO - a real pioneer in digital health)
    6. Great mentorship (learning a lot from experienced people)

Cons

1. Size of the team (need more people to grow even faster)
    2. Office is not located in SF

Advice to Management

Open a satellite office in San Francisco

"Five stars"

Pros

Smart people, product with a purpose, solving challenges both in the product and in the market, tasty free food, Isaac's chocolate shop, really solid and nice peers, still a size where you can know everyone at a personal level and where there seems to be room to grow into leadership

Cons

Without more people there will always be limits on how product and technical problems are solved, and if you only have one person solving an issue you will only come up with one solution which is limiting

Advice to Management

Scale problem solving tactics as you grow the team

"A product that will change the world!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love being inspired by our leadership and our mission, and also by what we’ve already built. HealthTap is a truly great product. I know this because I’m not just part of the team that builds it, but because I use it and it’s used by all of my close friends and family (and not because I told them to). If you haven’t tried it out you should. It’s incredible, and it’s just the start. Already we’ve built something that doctors love to use and that’s an invaluable resource for people as well. I have family overseas and they use it and they cannot believe they can connect with a US doctor and get answers for free. The same is true for my friends and family here in the U.S. As we continue to scale and improve what we’ve built, in my opinion widespread adoption of HealthTap by both consumers and doctors is inevitable. It’s only a matter of time.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your standards and always improve the process of bringing in only the best people to join the team and improving the product.