HealthTap Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • a place to truly have the impacts to change the world, (in 6 reviews)

• But when you create a core team with these traits, you have a small group of people with which even the hardest problems are solvable (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough to find a work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• There is a lot of pressure to work long, hard hours and have a "healthy sense of urgency" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting, energizing, challenging, impactful"

Pros

The people here are smart, they work hard, they're good people. The tech we create will help people universally worldwide and is game-changing. The market expectations and social responsibility is huge. This is the place to be.

Cons

Based on what we hear in company meetings in terms of what is coming up in this year, the needs will be high for more hands on deck. We need to build hiring momentum SIGNIFICANTLY on all fronts

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because clearly something is working well. But don't lose the goodness in the people and mission along the way. And never stop improving and optimizing the company!

2. "The real deal"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

* High work satisfaction. You get to work on real problems that have a real impact on real people.
    * Great teammates and culture. You’ll work with very smart people who enjoy working together.
    * A+ benefits. Competitive pay, good insurance, and options with lots of upside.
    * Growth opportunities. You’ll get a lot of responsibility and ownership if you have the desire and the skills to take it.

Cons

The team needs to grow to accommodate all the work coming In, and finding candidates that meet the company’s high technical standards takes time. I’m glad the company is not growing for growth’s sake, but teams need to speed up finding and onboarding the best people.

Advice to Management

Keep at it and grow the company at all levels of skill and experience.

"Some good, some bad"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

Like most people have mentioned, your coworkers are great people and awesome to work with. The office is highly dog-friendly. The company holds weekly volleyball games and other fun activities, like beach days, BBQs, etc. Lunch and dinner are catered every day, and the office is always well-stocked with snacks and drinks.

You'll be given a lot of responsibility even as a new hire, which can be stressful but also gives you chances to learn a lot and show leadership.

Cons

I'd say the biggest con is the pay: it's quite low, I would say far below industry standards for the area. Hours are slightly long (roughly 9:30am - 6:30pm). You'll sometimes have to work weekends or evenings, but this doesn't happen too frequently and is pretty standard for a startup.

The culture is product-driven and not engineering-driven.

A minor complaint, but since the company doesn't have its own parking lot, you have to move your car twice a day, which can interrupt your work and interfere with meetings.

I've heard that it's very difficult to work with the CEO, and the stress of dealing with him and upper management contributes to high turnover. There was a long period where 2-3 people were quitting every month, and many employees quit within a few months of joining. I haven't had much experience with this myself, but if you're considering a position where you would have a lot of contact with management, watch out.

Advice to Management

Move the Friday "town hall" meetings to an earlier time. No one wants to be stuck at work at 6:30pm on a Friday, discussing company values. It comes across as a blatant attempt to keep people in the office.

Create better processes, to reduce chaos, shifting product requirements, and rushed development.

Stop prioritizing rushing new features out, and start seriously tackling technical debt and code cleanliness--in other words, stop always taking product team's priorities over engineers'.

Finally, reign in Ron. He has driven a lot of good people away. Time and effort poured into hiring are wasted when your employees keep quitting within months of joining.

4. "Growth in every sense of the word and it's awesome"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

After several years of being here, I finally figured I'd write a review. I've passively observed what people have said here throughout the years, and the reality is that many of the good things you read here are true. I'm of course biased because I've been here. But at the same time, that gives me the credibility to say this. The negative stuff you read seems really random. Many of the things here are not representative of my experience, past or present. The truth is the company is growing and evolving so quickly, and it is growing up to change as needed with every step of its business success. So much has evolved already in the last couple of years and so there is no static state. I can tell you everyone here is committed to ongoing improvement and success. And there isn't a single person in the company, from Ron the CEO down to any new junior individual contributor that is here for the wrong reasons. And the company is going through such growth, it's an awesome career opportunity for anyone looking to accelerate their set of responsibilities through taking initiatives and just driving results on your own

Cons

There are several things at any time we can improve on, as with any company. Right now I think the most important thing is about figure out how to scale processes to manage teams. For example, all hands meetings are getting long or rushed with so many people presenting. We may need to break those into smaller team meetings for functional "departments".

Advice to Management

We should hire more recruiters to help more with sourcing and early stage interviews. It's taking up a lot of everyone's time (as its rightly a priority) but it may be more productive and efficient to bring specialized labor to do that part and allow other specialized skills to focus on what they do best, like code or design or manage. Also consider getting more REAL employees to post here and encouring it internally, because it will automatically provide more of an honest perspective of what it's like to be here.

5. "New here and I love it. The negative reviews are baseless!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

I just joined the team and I am loving every aspect of my experience so far. The mission driven nature of people is authentic. Everyone here truly is so nice and supportive, especially of new people. The ambitious are huge and the leadership team is not only super smart and dedicated, but truly work hard to achieve the dream. I initially read some of the reviews on here and it created some skepticism for me. But I approached the team and spoke to many team members about it, and am so glad I did that. Some of the reviews are extremely incongruent with my real experience and that of actual employees. I would advise anyone interested in working here to just speak to real people and hang out in the office and get the positive vibes. They are aplenty and its contagious. There's a lot to do in the most exciting of ways.

Cons

The new onboarding experience for employees is not as structured or templated as it could be, but its understandable given the company is just now undergoing faster hiring and those processes haven't been established yet.

Advice to Management

Invest some time in creating a more structured new employee training experience. The amount of time investing in new hires is great, but I think that won't be sustainable or scabale as the team grows.

"low pay, sketchy contracts"

I worked at HealthTap part-time

Pros

Passionate employees. Was able to work from home.

Cons

I only worked here for a short time [most the people I was working with and myself were let go after a few months--not a surprise per se, as it was a short term project], and I worked remotely, but I had a rather negative experience from the beginning. During the interviews and contract negotiations I felt pressured and manipulated. Should have walked as soon as I noticed this but I really needed the money [which, by the way, wasn't much]. I've seen some reviews mention "shady contracts" and I agree wholeheartedly.

I also agree that there wasn't a healthy work/leisure balance...I was receiving emails regularly at 2am. And frankly if I was a regular, full time employee I wouldn't necessarily think that was bad, but I was technically a "part time" employee. "Part time" in quotations because my contract required me to work the maximum amnt of hours possible for the job to still technically be considered "part time", and because the stressful company culture often made me feel pressured to work more than I should of. Honestly, the experience left me feeling exploited.

Advice to Management

More transparency in contract language. Better work/life balance.

"Lack of transparency, integrity and truthfulness"

I worked at HealthTap full-time

Pros

You will learn how not to manage.

Cons

Too many to list here. Read other reviews which are honestly written by people who worked there and be smart to look beyond the fake cooked up reviews by management.

Advice to Management

Change the CEO. Be truthful to investors, customers and employees.

"Be Careful"

I worked at HealthTap full-time

Pros

Dogs in office, most coworkers are great

Cons

I'm not going to say anything bad about healthtap. If you are interviewing you should read all the reviews and understand that the bad ones have merit and are not all written by one person, unlike the good ones. If you are thinking about working here PLEASE go on linkedin and look up people that used to work here and reach out to them. Note that a lot of ex employees only worked here for a couple of months. Talk to them and you will get a much better sense of what it is actually like to work here than during the recruitment process.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your assistants

9. "This is the culture i've been looking for!"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

I'm a new hire company from several silicon valley tech startups before this, and honestly, I've never seen a place like this. People here are just plain smart and positive and nice. Things are nimble quick and just get done. Everyone is genuine about their passion for the importance of their work. There is lots of important work to do. There are dogs and smiles abound. Honestly, awesome.

Cons

Transitioning into the company at this stage requires being proactive in getting the answers you need. While everyone wants to be helpful, everyone is also very busy and there isn't tons of documentation about everything.

Advice to Management

Good job creating the vibe and culture that's there already. Maybe invest a bit more time into orientation experiences for new employees as we hire moe people to bring them up to speed faster.

"Honest review"

Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good mission and 90% of the people are smart, kind colleagues. The first few weeks will be great for you and you will get a very meaty job with much room for growth.

There is high turnover but those that can push through will be rewarded.

If you are open with your manager you can get a more flexible schedule.

Cons

Leadership could be better and there's a rumor that one of the leaders on the phone with Glassdoor asking to boost their rating because it was so bad. I'm not sure if this is true but it wouldn't surprise me.

Working hours are 9:30am - 6:30pm and some people can't handle that. Phone calls come at all hours of the night and weekend and that can bother people. However, it's a startup and this is pretty normal.

Very few people have been here for more than six months. It's awesome seeing new people join the team but concerning that we lose people so fast.

Advice to Management

It would be good to have more people stay for over a year. I've had a great experience but clearly it's not the same for everyone else.