HealthTap Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Pros
  • a place to truly have the impacts to change the world, (in 6 reviews)

• But when you create a core team with these traits, you have a small group of people with which even the hardest problems are solvable (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough to find a work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• There is a lot of pressure to work long, hard hours and have a "healthy sense of urgency" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great work environment"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the most diverse companies in the valley. the company has diversity in gender, age, ethnicity... Very smart group of people. Makes every working day lot of fun.

Cons

Overly stringent in hiring in my opinion. As a result it is growing slowly even though there are a lot of open positions.

Advice to Management

Improve hiring procedures. Don't filter out candidates that are not from top colleges. Maintain the diversity as you grow the team.

"Dream Job"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wow. Folks in my team told me that some trolls (probably competitors) are trying to tell false stories about what's really going on at HealthTap- so let me share with you the reality - HealthTap is the real dream job for everyone who's looking for a real Silicon Valley success story of a company that's building value rather than hype. Where else can you find a combination of creating software that impacts hundreds of millions globally, and at the same time work on great products and the latest technology and also have a ton of company sponsored events and outings and lunches and dinners and full health benefits and most importantly, an amazing team, including execs, who are mission driven, always supportive, smart, collaborative and nice. I'm having so much fun every day and that eclipses any hard work that's going into making all of us so successful. It's the real dream job!

Cons

HealthTap doesn't have an office in San Fran. I'd love to move to the city and would love to work from there. I've heard from people around that there are plans to open a satellite office in SF (just like HealthTap did in London recently). It would be a great perk to work from London for a bit too :)

Advice to Management

Open an office in San Francisco!

3. "By far the best health care start up"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product
    Free gourmet lunches and dinners
    Onsite massages
    Yoga classes
    Subsidized gym membership
    Everything is designed to provide a healthy work environment.

Cons

Parking is a pain in downtown Palo Alto
    Office space is getting a little cramped because of the recent growth

Advice to Management

Open an office in San Francisco

"Try not to go crazy!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are some of the nicest people you will find! HealthTap has a great mission and as a result, the people who end up there are truly caring and ambitious. Personally, I loved my first few months there since I was caught up in the excitement of the mission. During that time I was more than happy to work 12 hours a day, but of course that wasn't sustainable..

Cons

Even though most of the engineers are great, HealthTap suffers for its poor management. As an engineer you will be sitting in the dark basement level and pushed passed your breaking point. Management has no boundaries. You will get calls at dinner, on weekends, and at 2am. You will also be forced to attend weekly meetings where the CEO will berate anyone who hasn't made their slide the way he wants or hasn't met their weekly targets. No matter how unappreciated and undervalued you feel, management will claim to "care" about you by forcing people to thank each other on Fridays and by making everyone sit through a 2-3 hour Christmas "party" while they give a random award (probably with your name misspelled) to every person in the company.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the other engineers/employees: GET OUT OF THERE!! You will be sooo much happier and healthier. Being at HealthTap brought out a really sad and mean side of me that I didn't even know existed. After leaving I felt a huge weight lifted and finally feel like my true self again. Plus, I got more than a 50% salary bump. Management will make it really difficult for you to leave, but if you stay strong and push through, it will be worth it!!

HealthTap Response

Mar 6, 2017 – HealthTap Talent & Happiness

Thanks for your interest in HealthTap, helping millions live healthier, happier, longer lives. We want you to have an accurate picture of what it's like to work here, and one that’s based on data ... More

"strong engineering-driven culture"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

as an engineer at healthtap, i appreciate the diversity of problems we get to own and manage — all of which are business critical and directly impact millions of users. very few projects don't touch the user. i'm surrounded by really competent engineers and it's definitely an immersive culture of learning by doing. the best part about our projects are that it's very easy to see the connection between our code to people's lives actually being helped.

Cons

as the company is scaling, processes are often being redefined and scaled, and there's work to be done there in making our sprints run more smoothly, but each each set of hires, we graduate in the right direction and i have confidence we'll get through those growing pains.

Advice to Management

i think there are a lot of strong BE engineers, but we need more mobile engineers because the client side teams are still a bit too lean.

7. "Artisans at work!"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Ive been here for a couple of months now as a contractor and hope to convert to a full-time employee with stock soon because I see the kind of talent I am surrounded with and the kinds of amazing projects we accomplish, and I am so excited to be a part of it. Everyone here takes pride in their work and is an artisan because they care about quality and making things better — even when it's hard to do given resource or time constraints. People put heart into their work and are motivated intrinsically. Being around colleagues like this inspires you to put more of yourself into things you care about and in the short time I've been around, the skills and experiences I've gained have been so valuable and accelerated.

Cons

Given how fast things move here, you really have to be a strong independent learner. While people are always willing to help and advise, many times you need to figure things out on your own. IN some ways this makes you better at things for sustainably.

Advice to Management

We should create some kind of buddy system where new employees are paired with someone else who will show them the ropes and be an unfficial guide. That would have been helpful for me! But honestly, I'm just really impressed with what is already here.

"The Place to Change the World"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most energetic environment with super passion people around you and cover you.

Huge impacts from each engineer.

Great way to stretch yourself and learn faster!

Smart people.

Convenient location on the University Avenue.

Enjoyable environment.

Cons

Very competitive so you have to be very strong to enjoy!

Advice to Management

Bring in more awesome people and grow faster!

"Awesome mission, Outstandingly Smart people, Amazing Opportunities, Tough Technical Challenges!"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The title of the review kind of sums it up.
    - The missions statement of the company is great and some of the smartest people in the world are working as one cohesive unit to achieve that mission.
    - The work is technically very fulfilling.
    - The perks and compensation is great.

Cons

Occasionally, when the releases are approaching you have to really have to try hard to avoid losing the work-life balance but I am assuming that is the case with every technical company, when the releases are near.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the good work!
    - Pool table in the office. :)
    - More hackathons in the office.

"Great company, Quality work"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Excellent team
    2. Learning
    3. Flexible timings
    4. Supportive management

Cons

You really need to work hard when there is some release.

"Amazing experience working with an amazing team for an awesome mission"

Former Employee - Software Engineer (Quality) in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer (Quality) in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Love its mission
    -A good environment to work in
    -An environment that encourages you to give your best.
    -Very friendly group of people
    -Lots of new things to learn

Cons

-A lot more innovative and dynamic environment, at times get hard when it comes to you daily
    -Long working hours

Advice to Management

-Keep up the good work
    -Stay open to evolving and changing with the input of the team as the company gets bigger
    -Preserve the spirit of the company as it grow and keep improving