KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

HealthTap

Is this your company?

HealthTap

Add a Review

HealthTap Employee Reviews about "ron gutman"

Updated Mar 14, 2022

Found 3 of over 176 reviews

3.3
HealthTap Chief Executive Officer Bill Gossman (no image)
Bill Gossman

Technical Account Manager

64 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "smart people here who come to work every day super motivated to make things happen.(in 31 reviews)
  • "Motivating and Inspiring Team Meetings(in 12 reviews)
  • "Like most people have mentioned, your coworkers are great people and awesome to work with.(in 7 reviews)
  • "This 'amaze the user' perspective is central to the culture.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Amazing office and location and great benefits.(in 6 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "ron gutman"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Terrible, depressing experience. Avoid HealthTap at all costs.

May 2, 2018 - Software in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers Good office location Near train station

Cons

Working for HealthTap as an intern during the summer was a depressing experience. I was led to believe during the hiring process that HealthTap is a cutting-edge company that is changing the world, but it's the exact opposite. The management at HealthTap is awful. They overwork their employees and create a very negative and uncomfortable atmosphere. The CEO, Ron Gutman, would humiliate employees in front of everyone during all-company meetings - I saw this as an intern. Most of the time, the employees hadn't really done anything wrong. The CEO would fly off the handle if he was talking to 50+ employees at once and two happened to be whispering to each other. The guy is mean and unreasonable. There was a lot of turnover, too. It seemed like multiple people would be leaving every one or two weeks. No one enjoyed working there and there didn't seem to be any way to advance your job, either. People were looking to leave as soon as they could. It was such a shame, too, because the other engineers were very talented and very kind. HealthTap has good people working for them, but they treat them so badly. The code is also in bad shape. I heard that HealthTap initially hired off-shore firms to develop the first version of the web services and the applications. As a result, the code quality for all of the products is very low. Other interns would often complain about poor code quality. There were tons of bugs to fix and adding new features was a nightmare for them because of how poorly organized the code is. I agree with all of this. It's almost surprising that the website and the apps actually function at all. It's concerning to think that people could be depending on this for medical advice during an emergency. Also, given the poor code quality, there are probably security vulnerabilities throughout the product. This is scary given that HealthTap is supposed to be protecting people's medical data. Do not work for HealthTap. All of the positive reviews are fake. No one likes working there and it's very depressing. Stay far away.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee

Firing the CEO was the best thing to ever happen to this company.

May 1, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The employees are incredible people who deserve so much better than the last CEO. Words cannot express the amount of relief/joy I felt upon reading the news that Ron Gutman, the CEO, was finally fired. My colleagues and friends are no longer subject to his toxic, manipulative persona (which he masks with a smile!)

Cons

If you are thinking of working here, please be very careful. The CEO was not the only problem. He had several sycophantic helpers (particularly in upper management) working for him in the company. • Please note that all of the recent 5 star reviews were left on the same day (May 1st, 2018). Looks like some of his favorites are trying to improve his image through Glassdoor. Every other review in 2018 is 1 or 2 stars. • This brings me to my next point: Half of the reviews really are fake. You may see reviews whose only criticism is "we need parking passes" or "we need to hire more people!" They are completely fabricated. No one in their right mind thinks "parking" is HealthTap's biggest problem. • The senior staff will ask for the moon, won't take no for an answer, and then will get upset when you inevitably can't deliver (no matter how many times you warned them). If you "go above and beyond" even once, that will become your new standard. The burnout is aggressive. • HealthTap has lost several large partnerships in the last year. Google it. • No paid time off for your first three months • Once you are eligible, your time off is 15 days total. That includes sick time, vacation, and bereavement. • You are required to work the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and even MLK day. • NO work from home. They are too paranoid that you might be looking for another job. • Mandatory after hours "parties" -- sometimes all the way in SF. • Hours are 9:30am to 6:30pm, no exceptions. • Mandatory all-hands at 5:30pm on Friday nights. These are obviously an attempt to keep every employee in the office to the last possible minute. • No one ever saw any of their stock options. That offer is worthless. • No one ever gets their full bonus because there's "always room for improvement" • The extremely expensive San Francisco office has been sitting empty for the last 5 months. • The turnover is horrific. Roughly 40% of the employees have quit in the last six months. • And perhaps the most egregious of all, HealthTap has developed a habit of preferring candidates who require visas to work in the US. People who cannot quit even if they wanted to, because their residency depends on their employment.

25 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Changing the world

Aug 20, 2014 - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

My first ever truly mission driven company. Everyone is so excited about doing good and helping others (both users and other team members). The team is the best I've ever worked with. People are so smart and nice. Ron Gutman the CEO is a real leader. He will take the company public, and make it a huge global force. He spent 2 hours with me past midnight to talk about things that I wanted to share with him, and then went and improved things given the feedback I gave him. The new product is game changing and the new office is world class.

Cons

Working longer hours than in your typical 9-6 job.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 Reviews