Healthcare Realty Reviews | Glassdoor

David R. Emery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Healthcare Realty"

I have been working at Healthcare Realty full-time

Pros

Fast paced helping you learn quickly.

Cons

Micro managed, not much for growth opportunity, and outdated with the times.

2. "Sorry to go"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Healthcare Realty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits with the healthcare etc... I had to quit due to moving and I hated to leave. Everyone was great to work with. There are a few negative people but you have that everywhere. All in all a great company to work for. I wish IT was as responsive with my new employer.

Cons

Dress code, I think this could be more casual rather than so stuffy.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and you will do great!

3. "OK Company - Think Twice"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Healthcare Realty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally there are some pretty great people within the organization, overall a good environment with lots of flexibility - there is a sense that family does come first. The accounting department is in disarray - it churns so frequently because of lack of training, no promotion ability, no real sense of purpose, you feel like a glorified AP/AR clerk and no real structure. The IT function needs some serious help, it would be better if they outsourced the whole department or actually hired a CIO that understood how IT should function.

Cons

They don't pay market salaries, getting cost of living increases/raises in conjunction with a bonus structure is foreign to them, people have been asking for a bonus structure but in turn they only respond with vacation days that you may or may not be able to use and you can't carry over. I am not sure why they don't provide for cost of living to mid management, but if it were me I'd certainly not be happy with that outcome. That mentality has somehow worked for them unchecked but as they grow and need more outside talent it will not be sustainable. And it will ultimately lead to a loss in motivation and star performers over time.

Advice to Management

Train your people, hire from the outside - your view of the world is very myopic and over time will lead to failure rather than success. You don't understand what it costs to hire employees, train them and keep them. You should view your people as the most valuable resource and not that they should be grateful to work for you, that simply WILL NOT WORK, in a very competitive job market. I get the longevity but you have stagnet ideas, theories and understanding of how things should be done to keep up with the job market and the HC REIT industry. DO something about your IT department now, if you grow anymore you won't survive in it's current state. Invest in technology - running your business from excel where only a few of the tribe understand it only spells disaster in the long run. PAY PAY PAY your people, eventually the good ones the high potentials will leave.

"Good company overall"

Former Employee - Accountant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Accountant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Healthcare Realty (Less than a year)

Pros

Very structured and management has been there over 10 years. Time off and benefits are great - 10 vacation and 8 sick to start out. There's a stock purchase program and they contribute to a HSA account each year for you, plus match 401k. You can learn a lot as they make you do everything.

Cons

Work can get overloaded if you show competency. There are 9 staff all paid the same, but the folios are imbalanced. Management has been around a while and are very passive. Very political workplace, lots of lifers that have been with the company a while. Little promotion opportunity, if any.

Advice to Management

Flexible work schedule.

5. "Why reinvent the wheel"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Healthcare Realty (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits with vacation, sick and medical/dental. Pay is okay but incentives, bonuses, commission wouldve been nice.

Cons

CITRIX system was frustrating and can't get any work done or be productive because of it. Upper management needs reconstruction. Don't fix whats not broken, dont reinvent
    the wheel!

Advice to Management

Hire a temp in each department to ease the overflow to get caught up and take the stress off your employees. Dont forget the worker bees and Lighten up!

6. "Poor Management, Low Morale"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Healthcare Realty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation slightly above average for industry but only adequate for the workload.

Cons

I worked as a Staff Accountant with this company for just under 13 months. There were 15 people in my department from the Staff Accountant level up to the Accounting Managers. In my time there 8 accountants were either terminated or resigned. There is a reason for the excessive turnover. The property management department is very poorly managed at the operational level and it will not improve any time soon. A lack of organization, accountability, communication, and cooperation pervade the property management and accounting departments. Aside from a few “team players” the morale is low with a lot of frustration that management attempts to deal with by buying donuts. Upper management simply does not care. I would not recommend working here.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to upper management and "team players" and ask all staff and senior level accountants why your turnover rate is so high. Hint: It is not the people that you are hiring, it is how you manage them once they are hired.

7. "Terrible work/life balace"

Pros

Not a lot of pros here. I've never worked for someone so incompetent. She had no idea how to do the tasks I was assigned to do, so how could I ask for help?

Cons

Lots of weekend work here as there are not enough staff to get the job done. The PTO policy is pretty bad. 2 weeks may have been standard in 1955, but most places offer at least 3. It's also really strange culturally. You can hear a pin drop in that office. It's like a library. Everyone is just trying to get their work done.

Advice to Management

Weed out the dolts...not that any of you are paying attention.

8. "HRT? Can it continue to balance Wall Street expectations with a true lack of real estate acumen?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

Good company to work for. Stock options, creative thinking, forward approach to healthcare real estate. Great analytical capabilities and good marketing.

Cons

Public traded company....sometimes the "street" dictates too much of what should happen rather that normal real estate principles. Company needs more real estate expertise rather than MBA thinking.

Advice to Management

Find a less arrogant way to differentiate yourself from your competition. You are not the only one on the beach any longer and hospital want to do business with local real estate experts, not Wall Street minded spreadsheet jockeys. Embrace third party management opportunities for more income/revenue generation.