Healthcare Scouts Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Healthcare Scouts Reviews

Updated December 15, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Really great people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• I hope that they find an organization that will offer a work/life balance to them and provide a healthier environment that isn (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Turnover never ends and no job security (in 7 reviews)

• Skip through these positive reviews to the real ones on the next few pages (in 5 reviews)

"The Real Deal"

I have been working at Healthcare Scouts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a current employee, I feel slightly ashamed that I haven't put up a post until now. Mainly because like most working people that have a great job, it doesn't occur to me that I should go to a website and tell people about it. However, after reading the reviews, I feel compelled to do so, and NO I am not in management nor has anyone at Scouts asked me or anyone to my knowledge to write this. Let's start with the facts, most of the individuals that are hired here are for sales roles (news flash, recruiting is a sales position) since we are a sales organization. If you do not have an interest in sales, or in calling people and being on the phone all day, recruiting isn't for you. Recruiting can be difficult for a lot of people. It takes a certain type of personality to do well. Sometimes its hard to tell who will succeed in this business and who will not. Because of that, like most sales organizations, there is turnover. People leave because the job isn't for them and people are exited eventually for the same reason. Nothing more. I have been in sales for a long time and attrition in sales environments is nothing new. What makes this company stand out among other recruiting opportunities and other opportunities in general, is the openness of the leadership team, the above average pay and commission that can be made (and they don't change the commission structure every year so that you never know what you are going to make), work/life balance, and the overall attitude of the majority of those that work here. Its a great group of people and plenty of them have been here for many years.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of the reviews on here are either from people that did not see success in this business or the success they were hoping for and are disgruntled over it, or those that think its "greener on the other side". I get it, I've been there too in my life. I have worked for large corporations and small entities, and I can assure you, this is a great place to work. Period. Is this the last job you will ever have? Probably not, but you will have the ability to make great money and learn a great business alongside great people. Yes, management has turned over a few times, but each has brought something new to the roles they serve and the company has been better for it. The current management seems to truly care about the employees and maintains a fun and energetic environment and is extremely open to new ideas. I get the sense that they really want everyone to be able to come in each day, make a great living and enjoy the time they spend here.

I could go on for awhile about the reviews I have read on here and how absolutely absurd they are, to be honest, but I will not waste more time targeting them. I would encourage anyone interested in working here to come in and see for yourself. Talk to some of the employees at random, ask them whatever questions you have and I think you will find something different then many of the reviews on this site would have you believe.

I did not come from recruiting, or the healthcare industry when I was hired here. I was in sales and sales management looking for a company I could believe in. I worked hard as a recruiter and was rewarded and continue to be. I have gained an immense amount of knowledge during my time here, and will continue to do so. I love being a part of Scouts and look forward to what we will continue to accomplish together.

Cons

To work here long term or to make good money, you have to work hard...bottom line. If you are not ready or willing to do that at this point in your career then this is not an industry for you. You are also going to have to invest some time. A few months will sometimes not be enough to evaluate a new career choice.

And change...yes there is continual change here as this small company continues to evolve into a much larger and stronger one. Keep this in mind, change is constant in any business. That is why we have the saying that the only constant...is in fact change. I learned well before working here to embrace change, even when that change is incredibly uncertain. Working at Scouts has only helped me embrace it further.

If you really want to split hairs, ancillary health benefits could be a little better, but considering we are a small private company, they are better than most. I know they do their best to provide us the best they can. The way they treat employees and how they handle personal needs far make up for anything on that front anyways.

To continue on the honesty front, parking can be tough, so you have to get here early.

Advice to Management

Change can be hard, continue to be transparent in the direction you are moving the company. However, since change can be difficult for some and the majority of employees have not had a lot of exposure to it, be mindful that the changes you are making may need more foresight and explanation then you feel necessary. Make sure there remains to be an open forum to express concerns or ask additional questions and, above all, ask for feedback, ideas and improvements, no matter how small.

I believe in the direction we are headed, but belief and trust can falter when you feel like you are wearing a blindfold. We can only get there, together.

Sep 12, 2016 – HealthCare Scouts Inc.

We appreciate the feedback and have a management philosophy of transparency and will continue on our growth pattern. We agree we can only be successful together.

"Its call "WORK" for a reason!"

Current Employee - National Recruiter in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - National Recruiter in Winter Park, FL

Pros

I am current employed with Healthcare Scouts and let me tell you it is not at all what some of these "reviews" would have you believe. This is an excellent place to work with great leaders who actually care about the success of their employee's. Because at the end of the day the more successful we are as recruiters, the more successful the company is as a whole. It is called "WORK" for a reason. One must put forth effort in order to truly see results. If you are lazy, need your hand held, and can't be self-motivated. This isn't the place for you. The money is there if you want it. Cheers!

Cons

In any environment there are office politics but that comes with the territory.

Advice to Management

Debbie and Bill! Please keep up the great work! We appreciate you both!

Sep 12, 2016 – HealthCare Scouts Inc.

Our team puts in the work here at HealthCare Scouts and reaps the rewards. We are proud the work that our team does day in and day out. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review.

"No internal mobility"

Former Employee - National Recruiting Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - National Recruiting Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Healthcare Scouts full-time

Pros

For recruiters- This is great training! You’re learning how to recruit in a wildly difficult environment and on challenging jobs. You’ll do well when you take this experience to your next employer and your next employer will be well aware of the reputation Scouts has. I would advise you do this sooner rather than later.

There are some GREAT people who have/do work here. It is wildly unfair to them and their families how they get tossed around, discarded, and worked beyond healthy levels. I hope that they find an organization that will offer a work/life balance to them and provide a healthier environment that isn’t dominated by fear.

Cons

It’s been mentioned, that Scouts is the lab rat to Health Care Support, or maybe it’s just a demented social experiment for the amusement of the company owner. This couldn’t be more true! He tries things out on Scouts and if it puts more money in his pocket, he implements it at Support. If it doesn’t result in improvement in 4-6 weeks, he reorganizes the entire company all over again. I don’t even bother sharing the stories about what’s new, and what’s changing. It too crazy to even believe and to be present for it is exhausting. At times it feels down right abusive. The lashings come out in the morning and ice cream deliveries come in the afternoon to put a Band-Aid on things and make you forget the sting.

The owner is a snake in the grass. He chooses to point the finger at our former Presidents (plural) and blame them for running his company into the ground. The way he describes the people that were is former go-to people is disgusting, disruptive, and unsettling. Newsflash: Regardless of who sits in the President seat, the CEO stays the same. He is driving force behind all of the cockamamie decisions. As the owner, he won’t go anywhere until ready to sell so please, continue to shame those that have left to divert attention away from your own failings.

Fact: The company has terminated or seen the resignation of 26 people in the past 6 months. At a company this size, that’s over 30%, and how many people are in producer positions? 40? So we just turned 26 out of 40? Yikes. Better make new hires “healthcare experts” in a hurry.

Fact: Of those that left FOUR of them were your senior leadership team, with one of them moving into a different role in the company altogether. Four. That’s the entire leadership group! What is going on here? What kind of company is that unstable? If all the leaders have turned, who’s driving this train…could it be our CEO?

Advice to Management

For those that acquired the former President's clients- keep on keeping on. Yes, you got lucky and were in the right place at the right time, but not before you worked your tails off as recruiters. This role was not handed to you. You earned it, contrary to what these reviews say. Drive your cars and cash your checks.

For leadership- enjoy rebutting this review by posting a new one about how great Scouts is.

Everyone else- watch your back and dust off your resume

Sep 12, 2016 – HealthCare Scouts Inc.

We take all feedback into consideration and look forward to offering career progression and continuous training to our current staff.

"The positive reviews are fake"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Healthcare Scouts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They'll hire pretty much anyone (only because there's no hesitation in firing anyone). So if you're lacking experience this is a foot in the door.

Cons

Expect to be treated like a number.

Advice to Management

Employees who believe that management is concerned about them as a whole person – not just an employee – are more productive, more satisfied, more fulfilled. Satisfied employees mean satisfied customers, which leads to profitability

Sep 12, 2016 – Corporate Support Manager

We are invested and care about our HealthCare Scouts employees and continue to strive for improvement. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

"Eh"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Healthcare Scouts (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay, transparent expectations, nice people

Cons

call center environment, repetitive, very boring

Advice to Management

none

"Big Potential with Right Attitude"

I worked at Healthcare Scouts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Healthcare Scouts provides the potential to earn a good living if you are willing to put in the work. When I was first hired, I had the wrong attitude... I made enough effort to skate through the daily requirements but I would do it all differently if I had the opportunity again. Since leaving, I woke up and realized nothing in this world will come easy unless I am working to my best potential, the individuals that had that attitude when I was there were rewarded for their efforts. I would go back to work there again, but this time I would remain focused on my goals and motivations and pick the brains of those who have excelled from within to be able to reach that level of success. HCS is a lot like working on Wall Street, you either have the attitude and drive to be successful or you don't, nothing comes for free.

Cons

Consistency was lacking with restructuring taking place all too often. Finding a company formula to success and consistently improving upon this formula was lacking, once I would find a rhythm, it would all change again at the drop of a hat. Not sure if it's still like that now, but that's how it was a couple years ago. Those who adjusted well to the change were successful, those who allowed it to ruin them, sabotaged their own future.

Advice to Management

Set the standard up front. Your company provides the tools and platform to be successful and make a lot of money, but without a firm upfront standard being set, too many new hires will expect their hands to be held and performance will be lacking. If someone sat me down in the beginning and said:
    1) You have the potential to make a lot of money here
    2) No one is going to hold your hand, your personal drive is what will contribute to your success, the more you want to learn, the more you will learn
    3) Minimum call counts are exactly that... minimum.
    4) If you don't like cold calls or picking up the phone, this isn't for you.
    5) There's a bigger picture for every client, seeing that bigger picture will contribute to your success.

Everyone is motivated differently, if you are motivated by helmet stickers and high fives, you're not always going to get that there. If you are motivated by success, that is controlled completely by what you put in to the work you have a bright future.

"You Get What You Give"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Healthcare Scouts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staffing is not for everyone. This is my first job in the industry and I have quickly seen that this is the type of career where the work either 'clicks', or not. It is not 'rocket science', and is not a technically difficult job, but not everyone is guaranteed success. You are given the tools and training necessary, and are expected to put in the right level of effort to achieve the desired results (this level of effort looks different for everyone...some individuals need to work harder than others but that is the nature of any job, in my opinion). It's a job, so you have to do the work-surprise! Yes, there are expectations and metrics. Yes, you have to be a good 'culture fit', but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that not every shoe will fit on every foot. At this organization you are working with a great group of individuals with outgoing, personable attitudes who are great to be around on a daily basis. You are praised for your successes by your peers and leadership, encouraged along the way, and for the most part have the autonomy to do things as you see fit, without someone breathing down your neck. You can see a clear pattern in most of the individuals that have been with the company long term and have achieved a high level of success...they work hard every single day without becoming complacent, are flexible, and have an open relationship with leadership.

Cons

There are periods of turnover that seem to come in waves and lower overall morale from time to time. It can be stressful to see your peers leave/get let go, but in reality, 90% of the time it is not a huge surprise to anyone when someone leaves or is fired.

Advice to Management

The training (and this has nothing to do with past/present trainers, just the material) is a little bit boring...maybe incorporate some games or activities to make it more interactive, especially for the 'continued education' trainings.

"It's a real job - perspective"

I have been working at Healthcare Scouts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of people, leaders that care, opportunity to make money, ability to help people in their careers, company events, company lunches etc... Open door policy among executives, being able to ask questions and give suggestions in open forum... (which most don't take advantage of at any given time)

Cons

Working alongside people who don't understand the grass is not greener, we live in a world where the "what's next" "what's bigger and better" thought process prevails. This is a very real work environment that offers flexibility beyond many others. If everyone came in and did what they had to do, they would figure out it's going to work out for them or it's not. It takes special people to do sales (any type sales), if it was easy everyone would be doing it. It's disheartening to read through some of these reviews because they are very bitter but not very real.

Advice to Management

This message is not geared to management. Work together to foster more cohesiveness - Employees and Management. Employees have 50% if not more input that anything else, it falls on everyone, and it's not between "us" and "them". Energy is tried and true, watch your thoughts they become your words, your words become your actions etc.... everyone here needs to stay positive and reassure one another, not harp on the past, focus on the future, that you will be a part of - be proud of that, the rest will follow.

"Lots of opportunity"

I have been working at Healthcare Scouts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of upside here at Scouts. You can come in at any position really and make good money or work your way into more responsibility. Great industry to be in, healthcare staffing and lots of tools to make things happen.

Cons

I think some of the recent one star reviews are former disgruntled employees (take them for what they are). There has been some turnover lately and that's never good but it was mostly in the latter part of 2015 and has stabilized recently.

Advice to Management

Set a straight course forward. Make solid hiring decisions, provide the right training and fully support your staff. There is a lot of good here, just keep it moving and worry about the big picture.

"For the Powerful Few, Not For you"

I worked at Healthcare Scouts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When you first meet with the president, she will greet you with a big smile and energy that is through the roof. She will tell you this is a $100,000 job and will flaunt trips and cars and gift cards and you start think this is a place that really gets behind their employees. You couldn’t be further from the truth. DO NOT BE FOOLED. I am not saying she is lying, but the only people that make that kind of money and are privied to the trips and cars were given a very successful book of business. If you are new to the organization you will never get to see any of those perks which makes it almost worse than not having those things at all.

Cons

The jobs orders are stale and have been open for several months because the sales team does not sell. They blindly email resumes over and have little control over their clients. It takes over 40 subs to fill one job. More than half of their jobs close with no notice or reason and the fall off rate is well above average. It is a lot of effort for such a low success rate and you quickly realize they have no idea what they are doing. Most people end up cutting their losses and quitting which explains their unusually high turnover rate.
    The entire management team also has their favorites and if you are one of the powerful few, you get treated like a first class citizen. The rest of the daytime slaves (the recruiters) will work long hours, take few breaks few breaks, and will be under constant threat of losing their job. Short of standing in the front of the room beating on a giant drum and yelling “ROW” the president does the next best thing to increase productivity. She sends out an email just about every out to make sure you are on par for your sub count. It is so intrusive and disruptive, it is actually hard to focus on the task on hand i.e. getting people jobs! It is all about that sub and the president (a former beauty queen with no college degree) seems to care more about that number and the aesthetics of the office than actually making the company money. She has completely lost the respect of the floor and everyone is trying to keep their jobs long enough to solidify their exit strategy.
    Just being there on a day to day basis is depressing. The moral of the office is so low, I’ve seen cancer wards with more hope… you look around you see your buddies suffering, not a smile in the room other than nervous grins the recruiters give when the owner walks past their cubes. He will fire you if he doesn’t like the calendar on your desk.
    If you area an adult, which I think most people on this site are, do not work here. They don’t give you a shred of dignity and is impossible to make the kind of living you want. If you work 12 hour a day, and put in some time on the weekend, the best you can hope for is $60,000. It’s for the powerful few, not for you.

Advice to Management

The fact the president still has her job leads to rumors around the office. She is unqualified and completely ineffective. The only growth she had seen was due to the efforts of the former COO and his staff who is no longer there. The owner doesn’t understand staffing, the president doesn’t understand staffing, and their current staff wants to leave. My advice to management would be to sell it to someone who cares.