Healthfirst (New York) Reviews | Glassdoor

Healthfirst (New York) Reviews

Updated December 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home option with flexible schedule (in 27 reviews)

• Management tries to work with employees in order to find a good work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, gossip, favoritism, no growth, disorganized (in 13 reviews)

• No room for growth in my position (in 8 reviews)

"Manager Clinical Eligibility"

I worked at Healthfirst (New York) full-time

Pros

Great colleagues and good teamwork.

Cons

Upper management is inefficient. Too much stress on productivity, metrics and data. Utterly inefficient information system to gather useful data and information. Micromanagement and overly controlling upper management who care a hoot for their direct reports. Less said about the HR management is better. The consultants try to manipulate the clinical staff to get the desired data to reach the STAR goals...pathetic. Very very stressful place to work. Don't recommend it anyone. And no room to grow due to favoritism.

Advice to Management

Look at all the advises above and learn from it.

"Case Manager"

Current Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home and a lot of PTO

Cons

Time sensitive work means a lot of pressure to finish work by end of business and possible overtime. Also a lot of micromanagement/mistrust

Advice to Management

Allow your employees more flexibility in balance of work/home life. Just because we work from home doesn't mean we are glued to our computers 24/7 and allow more involvement and input in evolving policies and procedures that effect our day to day

"Bad management"

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time

Pros

Flexibility, work from home, new management, hours

Cons

Poor management, gossip, attitude, favoritism, bias

"Poor Executive Management! Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Work from home

Cons

Discriminates against women in IT

Advice to Management

Clean house! Start with the CIO and his VP's who bully the staff.

"Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment with diverse community and lots of opportunities for growth; decent pay; telecommuting; promotion from within

Cons

ingrained attitudes , opportunities not easily accessible, inflexible management

Advice to Management

Do not overlook talented individuals by trying to keep them in place, Review pay scale

"Toxic mess"

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time

Pros

Coworkers, office neighborhood, the company's mission

Cons

You have an out-of-touch CEO who's more interested in making long-winded internal videos in which she condescends to us like we're children.

You have executives who know less than their direct reports, and who lie to their managers about what they know. One executive spends most of his time on Skype talking to friends and relatives. Another who watches YouTube videos all day long. Another who puts together PowerPoints that no one asks for, on topics that aren't important.

You have egotistical maniacs at the middle and upper management level, who are allowed to give their input on processes about which they know nothing.

There's so much jockeying for power. So much. And in between jockeying for power and playing these games, some of these folks forget they have an actual job to do.

You have poor processes all around. You have a lack of investment in real infrastructure and technology that would help the company grow. Just look at the reviews on Yelp. The foray into the commercial market was a disaster thanks to the lack of systems to support that kind of growth. They do not value, nor understand, technology, and they're going to get clobbered in the marketplace because of it.

You have favoritism galore. One person is so highly favored that she's been promoted multiple times over just a few years, all while being detested by her colleagues for her nastiness, being terrible at her actual job, and having no identifiable skills. But, she's gone out for drinks with her bosses and cozied up to people who mattered, so they protect her despite multiple complaints.

You have a completely unethical review process. You're reviewed by your colleagues, your boss, and any direct reports you have. Fair, right? Well, it would be, except that everything those people say about you is then reviewed in a room with 20+ OTHER PEOPLE WHO DO NOT KNOW YOU OR YOUR JOB. Those people are allowed to weigh in on whether you need improvement, meet expectations, or exceed expectations. They then use everyone's input to place you somewhere on a *BELL CURVE* (yes, the measurement of human capability that has since been thoroughly debunked). Oh! Also! Those 20+ people who weighed in on your job? They get to see what everyone said about you, but you, yourself, don't.

You have a culture that focuses on the wrong things.There is no better example of this than the fact that they spent millions on consultants to come up with a terrible metaphor that they push on every employee: TRAILBLAZER. "Are you being a trailblazer?" "Can you recite the trailblazer culture drivers?" They spent so much money coming up with an internal campaign for employees based on a hiking/mountain metaphor.

For city dwellers.

Who service other city dwellers.

Yet they never spent the money to fix *major* billing and enrollment issues for our customers before entering the commercial market.

Also, the NYC office is battling a bed bug problem.

There are *smart,* wonderful people here who will never be valued for their contributions, and who will never flourish or grow. They will leave, snatched up by better companies doing better things. Those who stay are often depressed, cynical, and hopeless.

To use their own metaphor: don't blaze this trail.

Advice to Management

Value your employees like adults . Take a good look at what you're trying to accomplish, then bring in better people to do it. Invest in technology.

7. "member services"

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy office job, not much stress

Cons

too much regulation and limited growth

"Avoid like Zika"

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time

Pros

High compensation, generous work from home policy

Cons

A veritable cluster of incompetence, disrespect, and lack of talent. Appalling favoritism. Infested with bed bugs. Top-heavy management structure. Zero career development. Overpriced health plan. Crummy benefits. Employees are constantly promoted to positions they are unqualified for, and the rest of us pick up the slack and suffer. Lack of management training results in bumbling bosses who don't have a clue. Values are in the toilet. Plus, the dress code is stupid.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I think it's hopeless.

"Healthfirst Has An Incredibly Toxic Work Environment"

I worked at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The big selling point of Healthfirst is its work from home option. Depending on team that you work for, they can be liberal when allowing work from home options. This is good because the actual work environment is incredibly toxic, see below.

Cons

Healthfirst had the most toxic work environment that I have witnessed in my career. First, I should note that I was involved in the hiring process and my superiors openly stated that they were adverse to hiring anyone that was 1.) Older 2.) Not "Americanized" (their words, not mine). Be mindful of these two factors when applying to Healthfirst.

In addition, I was subjected to racism (I was told by a co-worker that he'd always be better than me because he had "white skin"), I witnessed blatant sexism (a female co-worker that had bought a Nintendo Switch was told "no wonder you're single!" by my BOSS because she's a woman that plays video games). When I went to my superiors or told HR about the environment, I was either called a liar or virtually ignored. I waited a month to meet with HR (the HR office is primarily based in Florida, so expecting anything to happen in the NY office is an exercise in futility).

This company has also has a very turnover rate. I was the second most tenured member of my department that wasn't management. The department has ~15 people that aren't management.

I ended up quitting without future employment lined up I found the environment so toxic. Working at Healthfirst was one of the most difficult periods of my life.

"Utilization Management"

Current Employee - Current Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Current Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Healthfirst (New York) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Horrible place to work for

Cons

Managers and Supervisors belittle you

Advice to Management

Give raises to the hard dedicated workers that get the job done in the department. Don't take away the raises they worked hard for. I only give the ratings 1 star, for this company DOES NOT stand up for their mission. Its who you know in the company, and if you are clingy with upper management, you will get places....