Hearst Bay Area Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Bill Nagel
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "In addition to the knowledge base, there's also a great work/life balance" (in 6 reviews)

• "The San Francisco Chronicle (Hearst Bay Area) has been a great place to work this past year" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management refuses to take responsibility for their own poor decisions, passing the blame downward" (in 4 reviews)

• "Change commission structure to a % of sales and let salespeople actually make some money and not have to live on their base" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place, good people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearst Bay Area full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great coworkers
    -Consistent work life balance
    -Good pay
    -Depending on your team the stress level is very low
    -Monthly happy hours
    -Just hired a new publisher, and he seems like a wonderful guy

Cons

-Your experience really depends on your management, every manager runs their team differently, so it isn't consistent
    - No office perks, no coffee, no work from home days
    -No clear vision of growth, there isn't a lot of internal movement

Advice to Management

Be transparent with your team, little perks do go a long way!

2. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hearst Bay Area full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good base salary compared to other newspapers. Flexible schedule based on manager approval.

Cons

Constant changes to commission structure based on comparison to previous year rather than current year revenue. Digital products typically came from vendor not internal development.

Advice to Management

Invest internally for product development and not dependent on management fees from vendors. Hire more marketing staff to help facilitate product creation.

3. "Us vs them"

I worked at Hearst Bay Area full-time

Pros

Good people
    Great location
    Brand recognition
    Editor in chief

Cons

Us vs them mentality w leadership
    Forced modernization makes akward mix
    Clunky site full of ads due to monetization

Advice to Management

Serious journalism or tabloid for page views needs to be sorted out

"Better than most newspapers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hearst Bay Area full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Management is on board with producing a quality newspaper and website, and having a deep-pocketed parent like Hearst is a lot better than being owned by a hedge fund like other local newspapers. SFGate has a more modern culture than the newsroom itself. Has an "old San Francisco" feel but still adopts to new technology.

Cons

Has some people who have worked there forever and aren't very productive, protected by union and culture, leaving others to pick up the slack. Some editors come off as self-righteous. Not the best newsroom for political conservatives, you'll be outnumbered and probably marginalized.

5. "Great Place Overall!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearst Bay Area full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay, overall fair and manageable work load, great benefits, good people to work with.

Cons

Offering remote employment would help with commuters from all over the Bay Area.

6. "On the upswing"

I worked at Hearst Bay Area full-time

Pros

Great leadership, a paper that is succeeding and not afraid to push for better reporting and trying to break in to the digital space

Cons

Typical ego wrangling at all newspapers

"15 Years must say something..."

Current Employee - Sr Multi-Media Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sr Multi-Media Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearst Bay Area full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at The Chronicle/SFGate for over 15 years. I have always been made to feel as though I am not just working for an iconic print and digital company but more importantly, a family. We are a digital/print company who offers all to those who need opportunities for success - Print/Digital/ PR/ SEO/SEM/Web Creation/Social/Programmatic - you name it, we can helpI
    I have seen and worked through it all and have always been impressed with the level of professionalism in all ways. Our current management team has a vision and their eye on the prize within editorial and sales - we have the team to pull off all goals!

Cons

Communication is sometimes lacking but I have been seeing a change lately -
     where those that don't want to "be part of a team" are no longer on staff.
    Be careful of all the bad reviews, those people probably are not here for reasons that have to do with their performance.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep up with the trends and Hearst running in forward motion to success!

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Hearst Bay Area full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The San Francisco Chronicle (Hearst Bay Area) has been a great place to work this past year. As an Account Executive responsible for marketing in Marin County, CA, I go around to local businesses and help them stay relevant in the digital age. While we do sell some print ads, the majority of the solutions we provide are cutting-edge digital marketing tools. I've been able to learn the full marketing funnel of products and become an expert in the space while at the Chronicle.
    In addition to the knowledge base, there's also a great work/life balance. Our team is fun! And while we are top performers, we don't take ourselves too seriously. The Chronicle does great work, and I'm proud to represent them when I go out on calls. I also love to see the tangible results as we help the local business community continue to thrive.

Cons

The industry is in transition, and there are some growing pains. You have to be self-motivated to solve problems as we move from a traditional print company into a digital media organization. While the Chronicle is a profitable success story, it's never easy to change a business model. So working here presents new challenges that go along with the changing business.

"By far the worst place I have ever worked"

I worked at Hearst Bay Area full-time

Pros

It's owned by Hearst so stands out on your resume

Cons

If you're not management you're forced to join the union, which simply deducts money from your paycheck because they aren't much help.
    Management is horrible (especially in advertising). They hire inexperienced people without any managerial experience or background in the digital field. And lots of favoritism.
    Not enough money, no company perks, no company culture.
    There's people who have been there over 10 years who are very unhappy and make the working environment awful as it brings down the energy.
    HR is horrible - lack of patience and correct direction when issues uprise within departments

Advice to Management

Admit to your faults, be straight forward on issues, and allow growth for all employees

10. "Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Advertising
    Current Employee - Advertising

I have been working at Hearst Bay Area full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great management and co-workers. When I need help or need an answer, I know I can ask one of my colleagues. The job is never boring, there is always something to do and your day is never the same. SF Chronicle is more than just a newspaper and the company is constantly evolving. There are so many digital products that we are involved in and are constantly adding as technology advances.

Cons

Processing can sometimes get disorganized and lost in translation. We need a better way to stay organized so that everyone is on the same page about everything.