Heart English School Reviews

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,890

960 Comments

Teachers

160K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Heart English School~215640
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Friendly Staff and they work hard to place you at decent schools.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Nice people to chat with at their central office.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Lots of time off.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Easy hiring process, communicative staff(in 3 reviews)
Cons
  • "1. Pay is low.(in 21 reviews)
  • "The teaching salary is low and wages in the office jobs are low as well.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Training is unpaid(in 13 reviews)
  • "This company seriously has no benefits, unless you are extremely desperate to get to Japan.(in 6 reviews)
  • "no bonus or contract incentives.(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Life as an ALT

Apr 14, 2022 - Assistant Language Teacher (ALT)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interacting with kids is a plus.

Cons

Very slow in their response to situations you are having an issue on.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

This place should be sued

May 11, 2022 - Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in Tokyo
    Business Outlook

Pros

Literally nothing lol. Easy visa access but they literally charge you for that so.....

Cons

They discriminate against their employees. The salary offered is laughable. They expect full dedication to a part time position paid but the class with boo benefits and really low wages. They go as far as prohibiting the employees futon working to other companies (specially if it's not English teaching) and even job hunting (you know, looking for a real job that will offer you dignity). Also, did I mention that they intimidate their prospect employees by saying the will make them pay a penalty of 150k for quitting before the end of the one year contract? Yeah. And also you have to say you're resigning ones month in advance (but don't ask if they give notice before terminating an employee). In the training meeting there was someone who literally talked to us about the company firing someone for having ADHD and depression (and sharing they with the colleagues). So. Yikes.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

I wouldn't recommend it even to my worst enemy

Oct 13, 2021 - Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in Tokyo
    Business Outlook

Pros

Visa sponsorship 500 Yen for transportation You eat the same school lunch as the students

Cons

Very low pay. Unlike other ALT positions you don't get paid during the summer break. Some days I had no lessons or very few lessons. Usually you make lesson material to prepare for future lessons but when you have almost 8 hours in a day free then after your lesson prep you have nothing else to do. I made a years worth of lesson material in a month. You aren't allowed to use the computer unless it's for making materials. You can't check your phone, read a book, study, staff ignore you as if you were nothing. The majority of my time was spent just sitting there because I wasn't allowed to do anything else. It was one of the worst jobs I have ever had.

7 people found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee

A mix of good and bad

Aug 7, 2021 - Trainer and Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

For office jobs at this company, they can offer a good opportunity to have autonomy over your work and to build skills beyond your current ability to challenge yourself.

Cons

The teaching salary is low and wages in the office jobs are low as well. If you are doing an office job be prepared to wear many hats and always be doing the job of at least 3 people. Biggest problem is the high turn over results in company structure and protocol inconsistencies.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Avoid at all costs

Jul 20, 2021 - Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in Tokyo
    Business Outlook

Pros

-The job can be fun and very rewarding -The teachers you work with are usually good

Cons

-They aren't very understanding about teachers' needs -They pay only 500 yen for transportation, even if you have to travel a long distance. -They make empty promises -They will give you permission to do something and then turn around and make you feel like the bad guy -Power harassment

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company

Aug 31, 2021 - ALT in Tokyo
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good company, nice people, free environment

Cons

Sometimes communication can be a little bit challenging.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

NOT BAD

Sep 7, 2020 - Assistant Language Teacher (ALT)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Provides fast application of visa. The salary is not bad ( maybe it depends on the city that you were assigned) I am enjoying the environment of my assigned school. ( note to the readers of this review) 1. Do not complain regarding with the salary, because first of all before you accept the contract and the offer you know already the rate of the salary and you heard about Heart Co. system. 2. If your are complaining with your career and personal growth well do not complain. Make your own way to have a personal growth as an ALT , I don't know how will you able to that. But for me seeing the kids learn English and they are improving is an accomplishment. ( you should be happy with that even though you are not the main teacher but half of it you are part of that learning.) 3. Do not complain because you have all the time and luxury to do whatever you want compare working in an office.

Cons

I think, first is lack of coordination with the coordinators.

7 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0

Disappointing.

Apr 28, 2021 - Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in Matsudo
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people to chat with at their central office. I had an interview with 2 charming young ladies and a gentleman. The interview was pretty basic. One grammar question was “can I spell February” which is standard English for a 12 year old Japanese school kid.

Cons

All down to money. I was offered a variety of positions, within my area. Unfortunately the salary was totally unacceptable. I did try to negotiate but to no avail. The salary offered wouldn’t even cover basic household expenses. I haven’t come to Japan to earn the minimum wage and struggle financially, I can easily do that in my own country minus half the hassle. Its was really disappointing because the jobs on offer were really attractive. But I deserved and I’m worth more.

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Current Employee

Depressing

Nov 4, 2021 - Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in Matsudo
    Business Outlook

Pros

Will get you a visa.

Cons

1. petty salary 2. will lie to you, to schools and to the BOE.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

You were warned

Jan 28, 2021 - Assistant Language Teacher in Ibaraki
    Business Outlook

Pros

Their visa process is easy. And you don’t have to know how to teach.

Cons

They trick the government by saying you’re full time, but only give you enough hours to reach right below full time status. They don’t want to pay for your insurance. They will not pay you every month. This is not a salary job. If you do not work that month you do not get paid. Nothing is guaranteed. They mention that the license you need to drive can be an international drivers license, but fail to mention that if you live in Japan that license is no longer valid.

8 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 90 Reviews

Heart English School Reviews FAQs

Heart English School has an overall rating of 2.2 out of 5, based on over 132 reviews left anonymously by employees. 32% of employees would recommend working at Heart English School to a friend and 31% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Heart English School employees rate their compensation and benefits as 1.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Heart English School. This rating has decreased by -15% over the last 12 months.

32% of Heart English School employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Heart English School 2.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.2 for culture and values and 2.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Heart English School to be workplace, coworkers and the cons to be management, career development, benefits.

Popular Careers with Heart English School Job Seekers