Hearth Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Hearth Management Reviews

Updated 8 May 2019

3.4
Hearth Management CEO Maynard Fahs (no image)
Maynard Fahs
Pros
  • "Great people of all levels of the the company(in 3 reviews)

• "Very strong benefits package, great home office support, low turnover at corporate level(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "The positive reviews are absolutely false; most are from employees at the home office in NY(in 3 reviews)

• "Extremely high turnover, at all levels, in one building(in 2 reviews)

"I work in activities and I love my residents."

Current Employee - Activities Assistant in Granger, IN

I have been working at Hearth Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are great, I love the residents I work with every day, it is spiritually fulfilling for me.

Cons

It is difficult but very rewarding. John F. Kennedy said "If not you, who? If not now, when?"

Advice to Management

I like to lavish positive reinforcement and praise on new and struggling team members and would love to see management do the same. I also feel residents would feel better cared for to see management more often.

Hearth Management2018-09-03
  2. "Benefits are good."

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Enfield, CT

I have been working at Hearth Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love how dental is covered.

Cons

No Cons at the moment.

Hearth Management2019-05-08

"Constant Mandation"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Glastonbury, CT

I worked at Hearth Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing residents. Administrative Director is a total sweetheart who really cares. Some truly great CNAs. If next shift shows up decent chance to leave within 1-1.5 hours of completing shift. Nursing work can be very rewarding and enjoyable, despite being very busy and running all over a huge building.

Cons

Constantly mandated. Forced overtime weekly. Nursing staffing is horrible. Nurses are overworked and burned out so hard. Unavailable or ineffective RNs.

Advice to Management

Hire scheduler additional help. One person cannot manage the extreme scheduling needs. Redesign keepsake nursing office and door system. Remove two way window at keepsake door. Provide LPNs assistance when multiple admissions or incidents occur. Provide an RN on staff to supervise and guide and help. Provide CNA coverage when removing multiple cnas off floor for in servicing. Hire scheduler an assistant!!!

Hearth Management2019-05-02

"Sales and Marketing"

I worked at Hearth Management

Pros

Most staff care about the elderly.

Cons

Robotic sales process without personality.

Advice to Management

Be transparent concerning sales philosophy with new hires

Hearth Management2018-12-22
  5. "Had ups and downs"

I worked at Hearth Management

Pros

Smaller company Family feel paid weekly

Cons

High turnover Upper Management not engaged

Advice to Management

Quit More communication with line staff don’t treat them as they’re disposable

Hearth Management2018-09-11
  6. "Juday Creek"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granger, IN

I have been working at Hearth Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful building, adorable residents, & fun co-workers.

Cons

the travel time to work

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Hearth Management2018-08-30

"ALL NEGATIVE REVIEWS ARE 100% TRUE"

Former Employee - Entrepreneur in Southbury, CT

I worked at Hearth Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

The handful of great people who work hard and care for the residents- meaning lower level staff and housekeepers.

Cons

The upper level staff members are childish and unprofessional and DO create an environment of power struggles and negativity. The good or great managers they hire do not last more than 6 months- a year, in my experience.

Advice to Management

Exactly as stated by other former employees-Focus on the cause as much as the money and stop lying to innocent families about the quality of care.

Hearth Management2018-08-28
  8. "They use you and throw you away like you have no value."

I worked at Hearth Management

Pros

It looks nice .. well maintenanced building.

Cons

Very cut throat in every way. Regional staff are a joke.

Advice to Management

You keep the wrong people... . Fort Wayne can not keep staff. Turn over is ridiculous. They promise the moon to staff and residents and don't care if they screw people over.

Hearth Management2018-08-24
  9. "You Are Just a Number"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I worked at Hearth Management full-time

Pros

The buildings are very nice and they often take new nurses right out of school so it can be a good opportunity if you are having difficulty finding a job. Health benefits and 401k is competitive.

Cons

No differentials, frequent mandating, non competitive pay, hardly any vacation time, no call in pay, poor staff to resident ratios, often feel over worked and under paid, no employee perks, the company doesn’t understand work life balance, the building was not built with the population it serves in mind, often take residents that are not appropriate for the environment who should be in a skilled setting.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to care more about their employees and the residents. There is absolutely no incentive to stay. Often refusing raises that employees deserve. There is no reason to be loyal to the company because management doesn’t care about loyalty. The vacation time is so ridiculous. I’ve never worked somewhere that you have to wait a whole year to receive vacation time. Normally it’s an accruing process... and you can use it as you accrue it. The policy on bereavement is terrible. Only three days for a close family member is the least amount I’ve ever seen in my life. At other companies when I lost a grandparent I received more bereavement than your policy for loosing a parent or child. This makes your employees feel like nothing more than a number and that we are not important to the company. Residents needs are not important. Often taking on residents that are not appropriate for the environment solely because they can pay the hefty cost of living there. The policy for mandating is ridiculous. Often your workers are completely over worked and then are forced to stay due to their relief calling out. At other companies there is call in pay which is a incentive to either stay or for other employees to come in. My current job an employee gets an extra $10 per hour to stay or come in. Most other health care environments have differentials between shifts and on the weekends. My current job you get an extra $1.50 for each shift and an extra $3 per hour on the weekends. Also most places consider four days a week as full time which helps with burn out. In healthcare burn out is very real and understanding how to not burn out your employees will help you keep staff.

Hearth Management2018-02-25
  10. "Business As Usual"

I have been working at Hearth Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

The residents are primarily, I believe, the best part about working at The Hearth. They become your friends and they make the job quite fulfilling. Management is tight at the very top - the performance of the various other directors vary. The benefits and time off/vacations are decent.

Cons

The Hearth does not set fair wages all around - from aides, nurses, and case managers, to servers, assistants, and custodial staff. The acuity may not be that of a nursing home, but the work is just as busy and at times, as dynamic as a skilled setting. Turnover in all departments seems to be high and that, I believe, can be attributed to a poor rate of pay. For example, aides and nurses could choose a skilled... setting, or in fact fast food restaurants, grocery stores, or retail shops and still be paid more than here, and that is a foundational problem that affects resident care, turnover rate, and quality of employees. You get what you pay for.

Advice to Management

Care-related work should not come with an introductory rate of pay. When families pay for 'premier', they should be receiving premier care and service from outstanding employees. Instead, the less than premier wages result in less than premier employees, and problems that could be avoided if the company took a bigger investment in attractive the right candidates.

Hearth Management2017-11-04