Heartland Business Systems "hbs" Reviews | Glassdoor

Heartland Business Systems Employee Reviews about "hbs"

Updated Nov 6, 2018

3.3
Heartland Business Systems CEO Peter Helander (no image)
Peter Helander
Pros
  • "That being said it is truly a great place to grow your career(in 5 reviews)

• "HBS has come a long way since I started 3 years ago(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "hbs"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Services Delivery"

I have been working at Heartland Business Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HBS has come a long way since I started 3 years ago. The company focuses on steady and sustainable growth. Process improvement and employee engagement have been a top priority in order to make HBS a great place to work and allow us to scale and grow.

Cons

I've worked at a lot of IT Consulting organizations and I can honestly say this is the best. That being said there is always room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep continuing the direction you are going and keep employees and culture top of mind.

Heartland Business Systems2018-11-01
  2. "Always improving..."

I have been working at Heartland Business Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the most talented IT Professionals I've ever worked with! The talent HBS has is incredible. Sales, Support & Engineering resources care about each other and most importantly we care about our customers - whatever it takes approach.

Cons

HBS isn't perfect, we realize what we need to get better at & we work at it every day. I feel so much positive energy going toward making this the best place to work & do business with. I wouldn't bet against us.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in fun

Heartland Business Systems2018-11-06

"IT - App Dev"

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Little Chute, WI

I worked at Heartland Business Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

After several years of working there, I can say that there are great people that I enjoyed working with until they left.

Cons

1) Culture - Do not mistake that you are only as good as your billable hours. You mean nothing to the company. 2) Management - management is clueless and no clear direction. 3) When you leave, you will be sued by the ownership if you try to do anything close to what you were doing at HBS. 4) Travel - don't take the company car. Several hardly run and when you can't drive it, they won't reimburse you for mileage. 5) They promise you a lot, but not of the promises will be realized. 6) Workload - when there is work, do not plan on having a personal life...

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. Think about how you treat your employees.

Heartland Business Systems2017-11-07
  4. "Nice people, good pay"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Heartland Business Systems full-time

Pros

I worked at Heartland for about 3.5 - 4 years. I liked the freedom I had in my role. I was able to work out of my home office much of the time, when I wasn't at a customer's site of course. My managers were very hands off. I was required to give weekly updates but that is normal. They supported me getting any additional certs I wanted, no complaints. The company car was nice. Overall, I enjoyed my time at HBS. The people were nice and the pay was good.

Cons

The hours would fluctuate from week to week but averaged about 40-50 hrs most weeks. Not too terrible.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting certification attainment for your engineers.

Heartland Business Systems2016-06-28
  5. "HBS is the best reseller I've worked for..."

Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Appleton, WI

Pros

I've worked for a number of resellers and HBS is hands down the best one. They provide me with a strong base salary, generous bonuses, and they paid for all my certifications. They fully support the certifications I want --- not just what they want. Its a very refreshing change to be appreciated based upon the work I do, have a voice, and be rewarded for my efforts. The company car is a huge plus.

Cons

I have some weeks that I work quite a few hours but the overall work/life balance is good because I can somewhat set my own schedule.

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding and challenging people and the sky is the limit. In my opinion you are providing a strong team oriented culture. The employees I work with daily seem happy and dedicated.

Heartland Business Systems2015-05-28

"Management Focused on Growth, Everyone Else Focused on Firefighting"

Current Employee - Engineer in Little Chute, WI

Pros

You manage your calendars, your customers, your meetings, and your training because the inner workings are so out of sync it's best to do it yourself. You work with a wide range of technologies because the other engineers are so slammed with work it's best to fix it yourself. Your coworkers are great because you are all so jaded, so overworked, and so rough around the edges that you work great together. But ... is any of that even a good thing?

Cons

"Your contract is written for 40 hours a week. Your contract is just words on a page. Our expectation is that you are working 50 hours a week." It's a common phrase from our leadership. You don't have time during the day to handle things so you are expected to leave an hour or two in the evenings for offsite work - this sets up the expectation with customers that we work 24/7; it also eliminates your work/life balance. Evaluations are less than helpful, you could be the best in the organization or you could be on the verge of losing your job and never know it. Your team leaders are only leaders due to years with the company, not management or mentoring skills. Ideas from the normal employees have had zero value to management ... everything is 'too expensive' or 'too difficult' even though the current systems are digging us further and further behind. It's like management is only focused on growing the company and everyone else is focused on firefighting. We are great on the outside but on the inside, it's a nightmare. We have excellent partner and vendor status with nationwide recognition but we also have high turnover, poor communication, and poor compensation for high expectations. It's like a dozen sub-companies inside of one big company that is just waiting for the eventual implosion. It's time to fix a number of quotes from previous reviews on this site - you need to know the real inside of HBS. "Everyone pitches in on projects including the Director of Engineering and the CTO." Yeah, this isn't a good thing - it doesn't happen because the DoE and CTO are equal to the rest of the team, it happens because we run out of resources. "Excellent work/life balance." It has to be fake; the combination of the early mornings, late nights, and long weekends has ruined relationships and friendships for numerous people. "... salary increases, bonuses, and terrific benefits." Eh, kinda sorta. We have have employees that receive big raises but we also have employees that haven't received a raise in years. Expect any normal raise to be about half the rate of inflation; don't expect to keep up your cost of living. "You have to have a strong work ethic." HBS' version of a strong work ethic is 50+ hours week after week without flinching, plus trainings and certifications during any of your free time.

Advice to Management

Stop talking. Start listening. We have faith in your skills as upper management, we just don't have faith in the data you're using about the nuts and bolts of your own organization.

Heartland Business Systems2014-09-01