Heartland Business Systems "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Heartland Business Systems Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated May 17, 2019

3.3
Heartland Business Systems CEO Peter Helander (no image)
Peter Helander
Pros
  • "That being said it is truly a great place to grow your career(in 5 reviews)

• "HBS has come a long way since I started 3 years ago(in 4 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "HBS is the best reseller I've worked for..."

Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Heartland Business Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked for a number of resellers and HBS is hands down the best one. They provide me with a strong base salary, generous bonuses, and they paid for all my certifications. They fully support the certifications I want --- not just what they want. Its a very refreshing change to be appreciated based upon the work I do, have a voice, and be rewarded for my efforts. The company car is a huge plus.

Cons

I have some weeks that I work quite a few hours but the overall work/life balance is good because I can somewhat set my own schedule.

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding and challenging people and the sky is the limit. In my opinion you are providing a strong team oriented culture. The employees I work with daily seem happy and dedicated.

Heartland Business Systems2015-05-28
  2. "Lacking in Areas"

I worked at Heartland Business Systems full-time

Pros

Many good coworkers with ambitions

Cons

Poor mid and upper management Poor on-boarding While it is noted as a focus, work/life balance is non-existent in areas

Advice to Management

Look at why so many leave and purge poor managers

Heartland Business Systems2019-05-17

"Know what you're getting into, say goodbye to your wife, kids, dogs and your self esteem."

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Little Chute, WI

I worked at Heartland Business Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

I got away before they wrecked my entire life. I've made a great living working for a competitor, when their clients get fed up with getting a different Engineer with a different style for every project they call us.

Cons

Business cars are a joke. Work weeks and expectations are insane. You're expected to know everything about everything. Everything is the most important thing all the time for everyone. There is ZERO work / life balance. My final straw was on a week that I worked Sunday - Saturday, billed onsite 44 hours not including travel I was charged a vacation day for Wednesday when I didn't have any customers scheduled. On two occasions I did all night emergency support events. Scenario: I'm working at one customer on Tuesday starting at 8:00 AM, On my way home at 5:30 PM I get an emergency call from dispatch, work at the down customer until 9:00 AM, go home and then receive a call from my team lead asking me at 2:00 PM why I'm not working. Support from management is a joke. There are zero standards, every Engineer just wings it and designs solutions differently than every other engineer. Chaos is fun but it's not exactly what the customers are looking for in technology. My first day, owner asked me to take his sales team to my previous employers customers, that is dishonest in my opinion. I was also given my laptop in a box of parts that I had to repair. This ranks as my worst career move ever, I took a pay cut to leave a company I liked based on lies.

Advice to Management

Take two weeks off and quit. Making money is not the way to build culture. Working your employees harder and longer doesn't translate in your employees doing great work.

Heartland Business Systems2015-03-05

"Management Focused on Growth, Everyone Else Focused on Firefighting"

Current Employee - Engineer in Little Chute, WI

I have been working at Heartland Business Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You manage your calendars, your customers, your meetings, and your training because the inner workings are so out of sync it's best to do it yourself. You work with a wide range of technologies because the other engineers are so slammed with work it's best to fix it yourself. Your coworkers are great because you are all so jaded, so overworked, and so rough around the edges that you work great together. But ... is any of that even a good thing?

Cons

"Your contract is written for 40 hours a week. Your contract is just words on a page. Our expectation is that you are working 50 hours a week." It's a common phrase from our leadership. You don't have time during the day to handle things so you are expected to leave an hour or two in the evenings for offsite work - this sets up the expectation with customers that we work 24/7; it also eliminates your work/life balance. Evaluations are less than helpful, you could be the best in the organization or you could be on the verge of losing your job and never know it. Your team leaders are only leaders due to years with the company, not management or mentoring skills. Ideas from the normal employees have had zero value to management ... everything is 'too expensive' or 'too difficult' even though the current systems are digging us further and further behind. It's like management is only focused on growing the company and everyone else is focused on firefighting. We are great on the outside but on the inside, it's a nightmare. We have excellent partner and vendor status with nationwide recognition but we also have high turnover, poor communication, and poor compensation for high expectations. It's like a dozen sub-companies inside of one big company that is just waiting for the eventual implosion. It's time to fix a number of quotes from previous reviews on this site - you need to know the real inside of HBS. "Everyone pitches in on projects including the Director of Engineering and the CTO." Yeah, this isn't a good thing - it doesn't happen because the DoE and CTO are equal to the rest of the team, it happens because we run out of resources. "Excellent work/life balance." It has to be fake; the combination of the early mornings, late nights, and long weekends has ruined relationships and friendships for numerous people. "... salary increases, bonuses, and terrific benefits." Eh, kinda sorta. We have have employees that receive big raises but we also have employees that haven't received a raise in years. Expect any normal raise to be about half the rate of inflation; don't expect to keep up your cost of living. "You have to have a strong work ethic." HBS' version of a strong work ethic is 50+ hours week after week without flinching, plus trainings and certifications during any of your free time.

Advice to Management

Stop talking. Start listening. We have faith in your skills as upper management, we just don't have faith in the data you're using about the nuts and bolts of your own organization.

Heartland Business Systems2014-09-01

"Great place to learn, grow, and stay up to date on the latest and greatest technologies."

Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Ability to learn, grow, and advance career with a diversity of technologies. Great team atmosphere - everyone pitches in on projects including the Director of Engineering and the CTO. Excellent work/life balance - very much a family friendly culture. Generous salary increases, bonuses, and terrific benefits.

Cons

Not everyone is going to like the decisions that management makes. Unfortunately, that's the way it goes with ANY company. They must know what they are doing since the company continues to grow!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees, especially employees who are dealing directly with your customers.

Heartland Business Systems2014-06-02

"Heartbreaker"

I worked at Heartland Business Systems

Pros

There can be a nice work-life balance as long as you have a decent relationship with your manager.

Cons

The atmosphere is heartbreaking. Raises and appropriate compensation are meant for only sales people and engineers. Support staff is widely unappreciated and left out.

Advice to Management

More qualified and trained managers are needed, not just people that have "been around a long time".

Heartland Business Systems2014-06-11