Heartland Community College Reviews in Normal, IL | Glassdoor

Normal, IL

4.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Associate Professor of English"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Normal, IL

I have been working at Heartland Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our program is well-thought-out, colleagues are intelligent and versed in current practice, and we have lots of choice in terms of how we teach.

Cons

Instructors have little say in some issues that concern us such as where college is headed & how money is spent.

Advice to Management

Look into progressive forms of management. HCC can be a better place for students if instructors' views are considered.

"Questionable Practices"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Normal, IL

Pros

The best part about working at HCC was working within Academic Affairs with Deans/Instructors.

Cons

1) The worse part was working with Deans/Directors that were insensitive and unknowledgeable about African American staff and students; transgendered individuals and anything outside of their comfort zone.

2) I was not rewarded for taking on more duties. The only people rewarded are those in their friend zone.

3) The blatant abuse and animosity shown to those that do not agreed with someone outside of the student affairs Director/Deans group.

Advice to Management

Training and implementation of Diversity and Inclusion program for staff to work with African American students and staff

"Great Environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Normal, IL

I have been working at Heartland Community College (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love the people and positive energy at Heartland Community College.

Cons

There isn't a promotion system for employees.

"Beneficial Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Normal, IL

I have been working at Heartland Community College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

learned a lot about processes, continuous improvement and had the freedom to grow in my position as much as I wanted to. Good people mostly.

Cons

Poor financial status-public sector. Lack of upward mobility. Incompetent people safely in overpaid positions. Nearly impossible to be fired.

Advice to Management

Improve emoter review process and reward employees based on quality of work rather than the illusion of being busy for the sake of being busy.

5. "Thanks!"

Former Employee - Student Worker in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Normal, IL

I worked at Heartland Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working in Continuing Education. The employees make you feel as if you are part of the family. The campus is small and quiet. No job was to small or big for me. Thanks for the opportunity!

Cons

I loved working at Heartland Community College......cons what cons?!

Advice to Management

Hire me!

"Peaceful"

Former Employee - Student Ambassador and Student Vice President in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Student Ambassador and Student Vice President in Normal, IL

I worked at Heartland Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely understand and caring environment.

Cons

Could be a little more diverse.

Advice to Management

Things in small towns move a little slower than the big cities.

"Heartland is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Full Time Faculty in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Full Time Faculty in Normal, IL

Pros

As a full-time faculty member, I have been very happy at Heartland Community College. Every year our Union has negotiated very fair raises for us, even in tough economic times, and we also have a good system for promotion. My Dean is excellent, and I seriously could not ask for a more supportive or competent supervisor.

Cons

Some of the Deans at this institution are definitely less than stellar. Like any workplace, some of the people who work there are great, and some leave a lot to be desired. Overall, most of the administration is good, or at least competent, with only one or two real disappointments.

Advice to Management

Although concerns and complaints are well communicated, people at this institution seem to NEVER be let go, this includes practically every possible type of position, even including at-will part-time faculty. On the one hand, loyalty and second chances are good, but on the other, if you want to build a truly excellent institution you need to realize that some people are not up to the job, and need to be let go.