KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Heartland Dental

Engaged Employer

Heartland Dental

Add a Review

Heartland Dental Employee Reviews about "dentist"

Updated Jan 23, 2021

Found 87 of over 1,380 reviews

3.8
Heartland Dental President and Chief Executive Officer Pat Bauer
Pat Bauer
Pros
  • "The commitment to continuing education and lifelong learning is always important for success(in 82 reviews)

• "They treat their doctors SO well and are always easily accessible(in 65 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Free dental services for you and your dependents is limited to what YOUR dentist can do(in 44 reviews)

• "Upper management (regional managers/regional directors) can be disconnected from actual day to day office functions(in 43 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Heartland Dental and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "dentist"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Real People and a Caring Company

Jan 23, 2021 - Practice Manager of Operations (PMO) in Cedar Rapids, IA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I feel Heartland has some of the best people in the dental field. From the dentists in the practices, to the upper management, everyone I have worked with has been honest and hard working. I have been in the dental field for over 10 years and just started with Heartland a little over a year ago. I truly feel like a valued employee and that I can make a difference in the lives of the people I support.

Cons

I have not found a con yet that is big enough to list, no one is perfect.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Could not be happier on my choice

Dec 7, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I know get to go to work, and not worry about paying all the bills. I have the autonomy to practice how I like, and use what materials, and labs that I want. I also get to receive paid for Continuing Education. I also get to have the benefit of networking with other Dentists who are doing the same or better. I surprised to see who also was a Heartland doctor. I have the choice being or receiving mentorship.

Cons

The main con is when you get your team functioning well, your good people are plucked out of your practice and promoted. Some may see this as a Con, some may see this a Pro. You also have to give up the practice checkbook. Depending on your spending habits it maybe a Pro or a Con.

3. Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals
    4. 5.0

The Best DSO in the Market

Dec 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Heartland Dental is, in my opinion, the best scaled DSO in the business. Heartland's success as a business and employer is founded on clear communications and great systems. Consistent messaging. Honorable, honest and transparent corporate culture. Offers great support to see offices and doctors succeed. Everyone is genuinely interested in making you a better, happier, more successful dentist.

Cons

Mid or late career dentists joining as an employee and not affiliating (dentists who join by selling their practice to Heartland are known as affiliates) may take some time to adjust to new teams and strong systems...but those systems are the key to your success and should be leaned into.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Long-time supported Dr. with honest thoughts

Dec 7, 2020 - General Dentist in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

For all intent and purposes, the office that I am in is MY office. I control the clinical procedures that I do, I control the staffing and pay, and I have the ability be successful if I lead my team and make smart decisions. The only pressure I feel to do a good job on a business end comes from an internal drive to always improve.

Cons

I have to work very very hard, sometimes too much, to keep up with patient demand as we take most insurance plans and I try to do what I can to keep most basic procedures in house if it's in the patients best interest. Also, not necessarily a con, but something that I had to learn over time was that if I didn't take a large leadership role in my office we would not succeed, and despite having support as a dentist you have a lot of control on your own success and failure if you don't do the things you need to. I felt like when I started it was advertised to me that all you had to focus on was clinical care and everything else would be taken care of. There are also several non-clinical related tasks that I wish were completed more efficiently by the Heartland support staff. Finally, being part of a large organization my office has to meet a higher standard in several areas both clinically and non-clinically as at times we are subject to higher scrutiny by outside organizations.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Happy Dentist, Happy Life :)

Dec 7, 2020 - Dentist in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have thought a lot about this over the years; especially during the early years of working in a HD affiliated office, when going elsewhere was more of a consideration. After almost 15 years, it is clear to me I am not going anywhere. Not because there are no good options, but for me, there are no better ones. I have developed my professional skills (I am IV trained, I extract impacted wisdome teeth , I place implants, I do root canals... I'm a good general dentist). And much, but not all, of my post-grad training has been facilitated by HD. I have a great work-life balance, I have long-term stability and financial security, all while making an income well above most of my peers. Why would I not stay? See below :)

Cons

This is not the place for you if you feel the need to always be right. Truth is, no one is always right, but without people around you willing or in a position to tell you otherwise, you might never know. At HD, I am the leader of my practice, but I am not the King. There is a difference. I have known dentists who would rather be a king than a leader. This is not the place for you if you are uncomfortable being challenged. Complacency is the enemy of progress. It is also common in our profession... getting to a point of comfort and then relaxing, taking it easy. At HD, constant and never-ending improvement is a mantra...but it's not for everyone. And this is not the place for you if you don't want to work. Success does not come easy, and without much effort. There is no magic wand. But there are a lot of us here who have tested the systems, stayed long-enough to see them take effect, and stay because of what we have seem. Most who leave (although I would grant, not all) have left because of either a lack of effort, a lack of time, or both. Good luck with your decision; ours is a great profession.

7. 5.0

BEST DSO TO WORK WITH

Dec 11, 2020 - Dentist in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is the number one thing that keeps me at Heartland dental. It strives on being kind and helping others with a positive attitude. There are great mentors that go out of their way to freely share all their knowledge. Heartland give you every opportunity to grow as a leader and a dentist. Great CE's in every aspect of dentistry.

Cons

Compensation can be on the low end in the sense of percentage. but when you factor all the bonusing it's actually a competitive percentage.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Heartland Plays the Infinite Game!

Dec 8, 2020 - General Dentist in Plano, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Heartland has been very supportive of all team members during the Covid shutdown by furloughing team members and still maintaining their health insurance benefits. They took so much pressure off me as a dentist in constantly vetting for PPE through the shortage. I am thankful to be an affiliate of Heartland.

Cons

For me there are no cons. They are serious when they say it is "Doctor Lead".

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

so much support

Aug 8, 2020 - Dentist in Springfield, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working with Heartland dental for over 3 years. I started as a new grad fresh out of dental school. Through the leadership programs and CE offerings I was able to build up my confidence and truly became a better dentist for it. The mentor programs and support have been amazing. I also want to add that throughout the COVID months they have taken such amazing care of all of our offices and our teams. I have felt so supported and thankful that I work for Heartland.

Cons

Like any job you have to find the right fit, Heartland offices are not "one size fits all" and each office has its own unique culture and feel. The company is amazing but sometimes the first office placement isn't the right one, so don't give up if it doesn't feel perfect right away.

Heartland Dental Response

HR

Thank you for your feedback! We're happy to hear that you've experienced personal and professional growth during the time you've been with Heartland Dental. We're confident the skills and training you have gained and continue to receive will provide you with even more opportunities to grow in your career as a dentist. We also appreciate your comments regarding our CE offerings, support and finding the right office for you. Your feedback will no doubt help current and aspiring dentists just like you, and we're proud to be able to support you!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company to support personal, practice and financial growth

Dec 7, 2020 - Dentist in Germantown, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coordination of all office systems and especially front office takes pressure off of dentists and allows the doctor the freedom to do what dental training skills the dentist to do.

Cons

DSO support is not for all dentists , only dentists desiring help to become all they can be.

11. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A long term home?

Dec 11, 2020 - General Dentist in High Point, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Constant support, great continuing education, premium fringe benefits (health care, disability, etc.), treatment planning autonomy, ability to access a network of other dentists for questions, potentially very lucrative compensation model

Cons

Building up a Denovo office takes some time to reap benefits

Viewing 1 - 10 of 87 Reviews