Heartland Health Care Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul Ormond

1. "no comment"

Pros

Love hospice work; wonderful team members

Cons

lots of paperwork; documentation is done on paper for this facility

Advice to Management

Be patient; learning the process takes time

2. "CNA"

Former Employee - CNA in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - CNA in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Heartland Health Care full-time

Pros

Guaranteed 40 hours ago week

Cons

A very nasty environment! The nurses shows favoritism towards certain CNA'S. The employees are not treated fairly. I would not want none of my family members receiving care from this facility!

Advice to Management

Treat employees fairly!

3. "I didn't get the feeling they actually cared as much as they should about the people we were there to help"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Heartland Health Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Pay was pretty good to start right out of LPN school.
    - once I had been there a few weeks in my position, it was pretty easy to feel comfortable in the role and be aware of initial expectations.

Cons

-Never saw a raise in the 4 years I was there.
    -It seemed as if employees were either there for many years or only ended up lasting a few months.
    - I can't speak for all the facilities, but at mine, training for employees only 3 days, if you're lucky. Many times we were short staffed and new hires weren't getting more than a shift or two of training before being responsible for up to 25-30 patients on their own.

Advice to Management

I feel that continuous communication about changes would have been beneficial. I felt that management at our facility was very hush hush about changes, for example, when there was talk of someone in management leaving or being replaced. Also employees felt left in the dark when rumors began to spread about this particular building being sold. It lead to some good employees leaving because they feared they didn't have job security, and when they asked questions, were not given reassuring answers.

Also, I hope there is improvement in the investment back into the well being of the residents. The food, activities, and supplies available to staff that we needed to do our jobs were very poor. I know that I was not employed to understand or be involved in the different aspects of the monetary side of things, but I became a nurse to care for people that needed it. And when you're struggling to pull together an adequate evening snack, can't provide a resident with clean linens for a shower, a properly fitting brief when they soil themselves, or supplies to carry out appropriate wound care, it makes the job much harder, and it's very disheartening

5. "Human Resources Director"

Pros

Great co-workers, interesting environment, communicating with patients in the hallways was always fun

Cons

Low-pay, horrible hours, lack of room for growth, lack of communication

Advice to Management

Improve on COMMUNICATION

6. "Best nursing home around"

Current Employee - CNA in Neoga, IL
    Current Employee - CNA in Neoga, IL

I have been working at Heartland Health Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, very nice coworkers, clean, pay

Cons

Have to be flexible and know all halls

7. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Central Supply/Scheduler in Ionia, MI
    Current Employee - Central Supply/Scheduler in Ionia, MI

I have been working at Heartland Health Care full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

meet a lot of great people.

Cons

they way the do their raises

8. "RN"

Former Employee - ADON in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - ADON in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Heartland Health Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people to work for

Cons

none that I can think of

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

9. "Stressful"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Troy, MI

Pros

Gain lots of experience and knowledge. Some of the doctors were awesome some not so much. Try to have an open mind

Cons

Work you to the bone, some days you may leave crying others you may leave satisfied. Can be very fulfilling

Advice to Management

Be helpful with staff and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty

10. "Unit manager"

Pros

Good support sustem for stagg

Cons

Staffing challenges they are always hiring

11. "Stressed, overworked, not appreciated"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Heartland Health Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great and very patient & supportive! I love working alongside the other RNs, LPNs and CNAs. I have learned a lot from all of them. I feel like I've made some friends for life from here.

The ADONs here are great too. They lend a helping hand with admissions and with assessing changes of condition. I feel that I can approach them with questions safely.

I also like caring for the patients during a difficult time in their lives and making their stay a little better.

Cons

Overworked, stressed, often short-staffed. If you love overtime, you will get all you want here! However, I just want to come in and work my shift. They are always asking me to work more. You work 8 hour shifts, however, often I work 10 to 12 hour shifts five days a week because of all of the work they expect you to do. You care for anywhere from 19 to 25 patients and are responsible for medication pass, treatments, admissions, stocking treatment carts, putting in new orders, calling physicians with lab values, communicating changes of conditions in patients with physicians, completing incident reports, charting, documentation... the list goes on and on! That's for all of those patients! If any of your sub-acute patients tank, you will get behind in no time! Management yells at you for overtime, yet if you do not stay, patients will not get the care they deserve. It is a rotating door here when it comes to staff, understandably! DON never pays you a compliment for your care even though you constantly hear compliments from patients. All you hear from the DON is how you are not doing enough.

They hire new nurses but this is probably the worst place to learn as a new nurse. You are lucky if you get a week of orientation before being sent off to fend for yourself.

I also feel that there is no room for advancement.

They ignore your requests for a day off even when you give them plenty of notice. I have come to work on time every single day I am scheduled. I told them I would need a day off for an appointment almost a month in advance. When the day came, I saw that they had my name on the schedule even with all this notice, forcing me to call out that evening.

Advice to Management

Please help us out with the workload. Staff appropriately. Patient load and responsibilities are way too heavy for sub-acute & rehab care. Listen to staff concerns. Do not just accept any admission without ensuring we have the proper resources and equipment to care for them. Offer compliments to your staff - don't always tear them down.