Heartland Label Printers Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 26, 2019

2.7
Heartland Label Printers CEO Peter Helander
Peter Helander
  1. "Working here for a long time."

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Little Chute, WI

I have been working at Heartland Label Printers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Heartland is constantly striving to improve the work environment for their employees. They’ve recently revamped the pay scale and brought back personal days. Everyone is always willing to pitch in and help when needed. My boss even runs my machine during my lunch break. I also love the 4 day work week.

Cons

Honestly the only con I have is the 12 hour work days. I would prefer 10 hour days. But the 3 day weekend is a plus.

Heartland Label Printers2019-11-26
  2. "Press operator"

Current Employee - Press Operator in Little Chute, WI

I have been working at Heartland Label Printers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is getting better, the company recently reevaluated the label side of the business realizing that it does make money and is trying to align that with pay. Overtime is mandatory and you can sign up for more, if you want. I know 3 am to 3 pm or 3 pm to 3 am sounds aweful on paper but its not that bad, you do get a 3 day weekend, which is alright. Its not a horrible place to work.

Cons

Company is still growing, they need people to run presses so extra people can float, its called growing pains, all companies have them. The pay gap for tenured employees isnt much higher than new employees? A yearly bonus of max. 750 dollars is kind of silly, most of it is based on attitude, not really how hard you work. Also not an amazing place to work either.

Advice to Management

Pay tenured employees a better wage, they have neen there though thick and thin and stuck with you, maybee a profit sharing program to motivate them.

Heartland Label Printers2019-04-15
  3. "Sales, marketing, process improvement"

I have been working at Heartland Label Printers full-time

Pros

Flexible Hours, great pay, decent benefits. Everyday is a new challenge. There are a lot of great people that work here. This company is growing very fast. There are growing pains that go along with that, however, the management is great and finds the right solution.

Cons

Very busy. Since Heartland is growing very fast there is always something to be done. Things can get a little stressful but this is still a great place to work.

Heartland Label Printers2018-11-12
  4. "Heartland sucks"

I worked at Heartland Label Printers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No pros to speak of

Cons

If you're not a yes sir no sir person this place isn't for you.

Heartland Label Printers2018-04-25
  5. "Press Operator"

I have been working at Heartland Label Printers full-time

Pros

Friendly staff, small business--not corporate ran

Cons

12 hour shifts, warm environment

Heartland Label Printers2017-06-14

"Worst printing company"

Former Employee - Lead Operator in Little Chute, WI

I worked at Heartland Label Printers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great underpaid people work there.

Cons

Let's set the record straight from a workers point of view and not how upper management sees it. 1. Parking. If this is your main area of focus, find a new job. Side note: it has been upgraded to accommodate those that work there. It might be a bit of a walk to some, but very short compared to the walking done in a 12 hour shift. 2. PAY... it's why we all get jobs. This company pays EXTREMELY low compared to... any other printing company. Indeed.com even lists starting pay @ $12.00 per hour. This company does spend money on itself instead of employees. However, most purchases are for used equipment, rarely are new items bought, unless it's for their E.T.I. Department. You'll get a max of 3.5% for a raise and lower if you make more. I quote "Your 2% raise is more then the 3.5% others have gotten because of how much you make". Thus confirming raises are based on pay and not performance. Don't buy in to the performance based on pay. Bonuses were $750.00, which is taxed, far less then most places with bonuses and only available to some. Yes plenty of overtime to sign up for if your qualified and mandatory overtime if no one signs up. And did I mention it's on night shift? 3. Hours! 3-3 a.m-p.m. Need to be working at 2:48, so better arrive earlier then 2:48 so you can be on time. Add winter into the mix and looks like your setting your alarm before 1. (1 a.m. for you day shift workers sounds like night shift to me). Don't forget that small 30min lunch you get to eat 3 meals in. Yup your working thru 3 meal times. But if you want a longer lunch there's always a loop hole, just lift weights with the manager, then shower and dress time gets you an extra 20 minutes. 4. Safety, quality, quantity and 5S... Yes you get docked for things being out of place which directly effects your pay and bonus. That is, however, the nature of 5S, but no worries 5S is only important when production catches up. Being on 12 years and counting with mandatory overtime I wouldn't worry. Safety first only if it doesn't effect production, quality a top priority only when the customer rejects it. Production comes first above all. True you need production to turn a profit, but pay close attention to the accident rate when you take your tour. Not only recordable accidents but the nasty OSHA ones as well. Their "I choose to look the other way" poem is more of a guideline, don't act on it or punishment will follow. 5. No available help. Sink or swim for training, and lots of sinking hence why their always hiring. 3 shifts and 12 machines shouldn't be to difficult to staff. I've heard rumors of "leads, floaters" available to help, I was even labeled as one. Good luck finding one when you need help tho, between meetings ( excessive meetings!) and running the empty machines not a lot of time available to help. Bottom line, a great starting job for those out of high school with no knowledge of how the real world works. They even target high schools, tring to get employees before they even graduate. Long term, better advancement opportunities at a fast food restaurant. Mandatory company picnics, golf outings and more wait for you at heartland. Requiring you to show up isn't the way relationships are developed.

Advice to Management

Change your office signs to "Employees don't quit jobs they quit managers" so you might read it everyday and understand. Don't hand out a list of rules for all to follow and a new list behind closed doors. Pay employees what their worth and don't wait till they give their 2 week notice. Not every employee is a keeper, don't be afraid terminate employees instead of holding on to lost hope. Most of all people work for... a living for money and free time, dont make them sacrifice days off for pay.

Heartland Label Printers2017-04-05

"Set the record straight"

I have been working at Heartland Label Printers for more than 5 years

Pros

Other reviews on here would lead you to believe Heartland is a terrible place to work, so let's set the record straight. The ONLY thing that holds people back at Heartland is THEIR attitude. I know exactly who the people are that left these poor reviews, so let's review the review. 1: not allowed to park on the street- the reason behind this rule (which was granted permission from the city) was because of the... narrow street and the increased truck traffic (due to the unstoppable growth of the company and its daily shipments, but we'll get to that). People parking in the street made it very tough for the truck drivers to maneuver and people ended up having to go move vehicles anyways. Your state taxes pay for a lot of roads that you can't park on, this is just another one. Now had this employee ever been to work on time, maybe the 100 foot walk from the "other side of the plant" wouldn't have been such a big deal. 2: The company is "filthy rich"- the company is growing rapidly and profits are going up. BUT those profits are fed right back into a performance based review and bonus. Such employees like the one from the previous review want everything handed to them and are not willing to give it their all. A self motivated, solid employee with a great attitude can get upwards of a couple percent yearly and a generous bonus right before Christmas. There is also a generous attendance bonus. Operators willing to be loyal to the company, have a great attitude and excell at being a great operator can make $20 an hour if they are willing to put the time and work in. The company is also posting unlimited voluntary overtime. Wouldn't it be nice to grab some overtime when you wanted to? 3: The break is 30 minutes, but sometimes shifts are ten hours not 12. On top of that if you come in and work overtime for 8 hours you still get 30 minutes. PAID. The incredible industry exceeding benefits to heartland far out way the longer break times you may find elsewhere, that are probably unpaid. 4: 5S is a standard we hold dear, I challenge anyone to find a shop with ink more maintained. To say we dock points for a tool being misplaced is unreasonable. The concept behind 5S is very clear and ultimately helps us as a team grow. Tools being in their proper position helps create less downtime due to searching. The cleanliness of the shop is also second to none. Apply and take a tour and you will see what a quality work environment is truly about. 5: No floaters or assistants: ALL shifts have lead operators to help assist you with whatever you need. Supervisors are also well versed in the machines. However leads may be caught up training or doing something else, but for the most time with the pager system if you need help then they will be there with a very quick response time. You are NEVER alone at heartland. We succeed as a team or we fail as a team. Bottom line is if you're looking for a long term, high benefit career than I encourage you to apply at heartland. Come see what we're all about and the standards we are setting in the printing industry as well as how quickly we are growing and setting ourselves apart as one of the best label suppliers in the nation. Upper management is very open with communication to employees, and they expect feedback both ways on everything from the way the plants hours are set to the type of ink that is ordered. Many employees have created long time friendships with other employees and it is not uncommon to see management and shop employees play golf together or doing other recreation. If you're highly motivated and have no printing experience but are curious, grab yourself an application and we'll see you soon!

Cons

We don't get cookies supplied daily, so I suppose this could be seen as a downside. But the vending machine does have a good selection of cookies so that's a plus.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and a championship team will be built by people who truly want to succeed in their careers.

Heartland Label Printers2016-06-16

"No bueno"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Chute, WI

I worked at Heartland Label Printers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growing company, with some really great people, but the HR leadership is about the worst I've ever seen. Very rude, no confidentiality, pass their resonsibilities on to everyone else and give good people an unrealistic workload.

Cons

Insurance is horrible, pay is low, the lead HR women are rude and very unpleasant to work with and the CEO does not care about the people that work here or who they are. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your HR team, get feedback from your employees personally, not through the HR team because that is where your biggest problems are. The people that choose the insurance for employees, do not use the company insurance and it is an absolute crime what employees have to pay for insurance. If you care about your company and employees, look into these things.

Heartland Label Printers2016-07-22

"Excellent Environment for Self-Motivated, High Performing People"

I have been working at Heartland Label Printers

Pros

* Flexibility in scheduling (4 day work week), willing to work with employees on scheduling * 401K / Benefits - Equal to or better than large manufacturing companies in area * Employees know what schedule they are on...no guessing what shift for the next week * Growing business / outpacing market growth every single year * Career ladder and corresponding performance pay scale * Great people / growing... company Overall, this is a great company for fast-paced, self-motivated people looking for a career. If you can take responsibility and ownership, you can be very successful here.

Cons

None at this time....it's still work.

Heartland Label Printers2016-05-18

"Laughing stock label maker"

Press Operator

I worked at Heartland Label Printers

Pros

Only work 4 days a week. They hire anybody

Cons

1. Not allowed to LEGALLY park on public street that the business is located on. If parking in parking lot near production floor is full as it usually is due to opposite shifts cars, you are NOT allowed to park on the street, even though your state taxes you pay makes the road look nice, and your drivers license, registration, and plate renewal fees so allow you too. Instead your only choice is to park in a parking... lot for a DIFFERENT business WAYYYYYYYYY on the other side of the plant. 2. Look, this company is FILTHY rich. They had enough money to buy all their sales people all brand new company cars. NICE cars. THAT THEY COULD TAKE HOME. Nice sized sales team too. Now, I come from a strong manufacturing background. 7 years of machine operation with wages up to 16.43/hr. Print shop wages at Heartland ranged from 12-14/hr for operators. 1% raises per year IF you are fortunate enough to be oh so kindly graced with such a gesture. 3. You are allowed only 30 MINUTES FOR BREAK!!! 12 hours of work! 8 hour 5 day a week office shift ALSO gets 30 minutes of break...for their 8 hour sit at a desk shift! 4. Ridiculously engaged in a 5s program so much so that if the orientation of a tool is not matching the photo that was taken on day 1, points are to be deducted! 5. No press floaters OR assistants! ALL SETUP AND TEAR DOWN DONE BY YOU.

Advice to Management

Pay what a friggin print shop is supposed to pay! Stop hoggin all the cash!

Heartland Label Printers2016-04-27