Heartland Payment Systems Relationship Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Relationship Manager

2.8
Jeffrey S. Sloan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries) (in 22 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is what you want it to be (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Con for most people is that it is 100% commission and starting without a book of business (in 27 reviews)

• The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased (in 23 reviews)

"Serving others"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am truly grateful to be employeed by such a creditable company. The compensastion program is very fair, you work hard it pays off. We are a team here at Heartland. No one is perfect we are humans, but we always do our very best to make our customers happy, and feel supported. The key to success is to start before you are ready. You can do anything you set your mind to.

Cons

Honestly cant think of anything

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

2. "Heartland is a good place to work"

Current Freelancer - Relationship Manager in Fort Raleigh City, NC
    Current Freelancer - Relationship Manager in Fort Raleigh City, NC

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Balance between work/home life. Unlimited commissions, and once vested, the portfolio is yours for the life of the account. Good benefits package.

Cons

Having to chase people down. Working on your own from home.

"Great potential for the right person who has a secondary source of income."

Former Employee - Relationship Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can last 2 years, residual income opportunity

Cons

The strict underwriting process makes this straight commission position an income roller coaster.

Advice to Management

Offer a base salary the first two years until new reps have created some residual income.

4. "If your a highly skilled prospector with a highly experienced manger and 6 mo savings youll do fine."

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

The pay can be good, and there is a lot of freedom. Extremely competitive industry.

Cons

100% commission and all the expenses are on you. Make sure your DM is experienced and comes from this industry. Businesses (because of past practices in this industry) view you as less trustworthy than a used car salesman.

"Relationship Manager - Indianapolis"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The local Manager was great

Cons

Where do I start..
    Training - There were 12 - 1 hour phone conference calls (once a day for 2 weeks). They were incredibly basic and did not go over any competitors, systems issues, or anything you would really see in the field. As long as you could write an order up, they didn't care about anything else. I was instructed to go cold calling before I had any type of training. I also scheduled 8 appointments for my 2nd week. I was reprimanded because I was only supposed to do 5. I have never seen anything like that in a sales organization.

Integration was a huge issue - I wanted to target fitness centers and dental offices. I was told not to -- after I started. This was because Heartland's system does not integrate with MANY software systems businesses use.

Upper Managers - sent out daily "pep" emails that were embarrassing to receive and unprofessional. We are most definitely not superheroes, no matter how many times they say it. They also ignored calls, emails, and voicemails because they do not want to be bothered.

Integrity - I found multiple customers who had their contracts changed after they signed it. This was done by a tenured rep, who also wrote a personal check to the business for their termination fee. The check bounced! (I saw emails confirming all of this.) ---- Upper managers knew, but did not care because he puts up numbers.

Saturation - "Only 18 relationship managers in Indiana" -- reality - 25. Also, they were hugely focused in Indianapolis. I can't tell you how many times I was the 2nd or 3rd Heartland Rep to see them this week. Also, there are MANY other businesses that are good processors. I was led to believe Heartland was superior to other companies. It depends on the Relationship manager and how high they price your contract. The systems suggests as high as possible.

I 100% regret going to Heartland. I am now in a very tough spot because of this company.

Advice to Management

Be transparent when hiring, so people don't make a HUGE career mistake.
    Integrity is something that needs to be worked on, even if someone has high sales.
    Training is virtually nonexistent.

"Relationship Manager"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are nonstop, resilient, and self-motivated you will succeed.

Cons

No longer promote from within, management is focused on hiring young prospects....baby boomers forget about it! Straight commision! Culture changed since the merger.

Advice to Management

Compassion and integrity and actually helping the merchant to save more instead of just your profit would increase your business more in the long run.

"Ask them how many class action lawsuits they are in with former employees"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company mostly delivers for merchants but that's starting to change.

Cons

They achieve savings for the merchants by ripping off their reps. The lifetime residuals will end shortly after you quit if they feel your accounts will stay and the payout isn't fair for basically paying them to show up for work.

Advice to Management

Pay your sales reps fairly and be as honest with them as you are with merchants.

"Do your homework before coming on board!"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a merchant service provider, it's one of the better companies. Direct processor, good merchant phone support. Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries).

Cons

Commission only, so you only get paid when you bring business to Heartland. I wouldn't even consider this job if you don't already have a book of business and a solid reputation in this business or a similar business that accepts credit cards. Being very friendly with a cash register dealer is the best scenario, that way you'll get all the CC leads (like most all the other successful RMs) from the dealer instead of cold-calling. Don't consider this position if you need much support. Division manager is just a title given to someone to recruit. The word "team" is also just a word; you learn the names of your"team" members by referring to the group email that your manager sends out on regular basis asking for updates on your sales. If you're not connected to a lead generation source, you will struggle and you'll be on your own 100%. In addition to strong competition, there are loads of obstacles that will prevent you from writing the business, and those obstacles are growing.

Advice to Management

Time to get back to focusing on the merchant and how we can provide NEW and better solutions. You're trying to find ways to convince the sales force that the Heartland "culture" is alive and well after the Global acquisition. The culture will take care of itself as long as the company continues to put the merchants first. Stop focusing your energy on silly widgets to add profitability to new accounts along with dashboards to micro manage those widgets. Don't keep increasing the GMO needed for a signing bonus or increasing our monthly costs. Time to give us something new to take away the focus of pricing and talk about solutions for our merchants. How about robust analytics? How about better mobile solutions w/ EMV? How about a restaurant tablet solution? Give us something where pricing isnt the discussion and the rest will take care of itself. Stop talking about how great we are, we're not naive, we know what merchants want but you have to provide it so we can sell it.
    Lastly, stop retaliating against co-founder, Bob Carr, because he's taking Heartland employees, it's the nature of the business. Satisfy your current sales force by paying attention to your DM's (make sure they're really working by supporting their teams) and provide fair cost to the RMs with great solutions for the merchants. This will allow for happy merchants which will result in increased profit margins. No fancy widgits needed.

"Imploding as we speak"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The long time veterans are great to work with. There are many people at the Service Center that go above and beyond to help me.

Cons

Sadly, we have a CSO who shouldn't have been put in this position. He's very negative on national calls and likes to be passive aggressive. He's constantly talking about how sales is believing rumors and propaganda but he doesn't get how bad we are being treated by the VP's and the SVP's who turn a blind eye to the tactics being used to micro-manage the sales force. When you have a VP who lists the names of sales people in a region-wide email that will be getting a call from their manager in the morning, you have clearly started to implode as a sales organization.

Nearly all of the new hires in my region are clueless and have had zero investment put into them by their managers. It's basically a free for all. Very little training equals ruining the reputation of Heartland.

They are on a DM hiring spree thinking this will increase sales. It's done the opposite. Instead of having one manager in a single state there can be 2 to 12 Division Managers in a single state and remember, DM's don't sell, they are just a bloated useless middle management that has to fed by the sales people.

The VP's and DM's are extremely paranoid about reps leaving to go to a competitor and yet they continue to require FTA's (First Time Appointments) be put into the company CRM and they have doubled down on threatening to do daily intention emails and daily recap calls to reps who miss quota. Incredibly sad.

Advice to Management

You have lost your way. I really don't think there is any way for you to recover. There is already a mass exodus underway and it's only going to be more sales reps leaving because you refuse to acknowledge the real problem....your culture is toxic and has been for quite some time. Your veterans trust no one and you keep ignoring what should be plain as day to you.

"Withholding Compensation of Portfolio Residuals"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked as a Relationship Manager at Heartland for more than a decade. I loved the culture and the endless income potential. It was the perfect place to work until the acquisition by Global.

Cons

When I left to join a competitor, in May 2017, I still had 5k owed to me in Signing Bonus and a few thousand in monthly residuals that CEASED! Global decided to stop paying me the monies owed me and also the portfolio of residuals that I had left. It was a very disenchanting sunset on a company that I once believed in, and I will not be silenced until I am compensated for the work I did. Beware of companies that promise you their previous owners dreams and not fully disclose their own.