Heartland Payment Systems Relationship Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Relationship Manager

2.8
Jeffrey S. Sloan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries) (in 22 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is what you want it to be (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Con for most people is that it is 100% commission and starting without a book of business (in 26 reviews)

• The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased (in 23 reviews)

"Serving others"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am truly grateful to be employeed by such a creditable company. The compensastion program is very fair, you work hard it pays off. We are a team here at Heartland. No one is perfect we are humans, but we always do our very best to make our customers happy, and feel supported. The key to success is to start before you are ready. You can do anything you set your mind to.

Cons

Honestly cant think of anything

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

"Relationship Manager"

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are nonstop, resilient, and self-motivated you will succeed.

Cons

No longer promote from within, management is focused on hiring young prospects....baby boomers forget about it! Straight commision! Culture changed since the merger.

Advice to Management

Compassion and integrity and actually helping the merchant to save more instead of just your profit would increase your business more in the long run.

"Ask them how many class action lawsuits they are in with former employees"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company mostly delivers for merchants but that's starting to change.

Cons

They achieve savings for the merchants by ripping off their reps. The lifetime residuals will end shortly after you quit if they feel your accounts will stay and the payout isn't fair for basically paying them to show up for work.

Advice to Management

Pay your sales reps fairly and be as honest with them as you are with merchants.

"Do your homework before coming on board!"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a merchant service provider, it's one of the better companies. Direct processor, good merchant phone support. Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries).

Cons

Commission only, so you only get paid when you bring business to Heartland. I wouldn't even consider this job if you don't already have a book of business and a solid reputation in this business or a similar business that accepts credit cards. Being very friendly with a cash register dealer is the best scenario, that way you'll get all the CC leads (like most all the other successful RMs) from the dealer instead of cold-calling. Don't consider this position if you need much support. Division manager is just a title given to someone to recruit. The word "team" is also just a word; you learn the names of your"team" members by referring to the group email that your manager sends out on regular basis asking for updates on your sales. If you're not connected to a lead generation source, you will struggle and you'll be on your own 100%. In addition to strong competition, there are loads of obstacles that will prevent you from writing the business, and those obstacles are growing.

Advice to Management

Time to get back to focusing on the merchant and how we can provide NEW and better solutions. You're trying to find ways to convince the sales force that the Heartland "culture" is alive and well after the Global acquisition. The culture will take care of itself as long as the company continues to put the merchants first. Stop focusing your energy on silly widgets to add profitability to new accounts along with dashboards to micro manage those widgets. Don't keep increasing the GMO needed for a signing bonus or increasing our monthly costs. Time to give us something new to take away the focus of pricing and talk about solutions for our merchants. How about robust analytics? How about better mobile solutions w/ EMV? How about a restaurant tablet solution? Give us something where pricing isnt the discussion and the rest will take care of itself. Stop talking about how great we are, we're not naive, we know what merchants want but you have to provide it so we can sell it.
    Lastly, stop retaliating against co-founder, Bob Carr, because he's taking Heartland employees, it's the nature of the business. Satisfy your current sales force by paying attention to your DM's (make sure they're really working by supporting their teams) and provide fair cost to the RMs with great solutions for the merchants. This will allow for happy merchants which will result in increased profit margins. No fancy widgits needed.

"Imploding as we speak"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The long time veterans are great to work with. There are many people at the Service Center that go above and beyond to help me.

Cons

Sadly, we have a CSO who shouldn't have been put in this position. He's very negative on national calls and likes to be passive aggressive. He's constantly talking about how sales is believing rumors and propaganda but he doesn't get how bad we are being treated by the VP's and the SVP's who turn a blind eye to the tactics being used to micro-manage the sales force. When you have a VP who lists the names of sales people in a region-wide email that will be getting a call from their manager in the morning, you have clearly started to implode as a sales organization.

Nearly all of the new hires in my region are clueless and have had zero investment put into them by their managers. It's basically a free for all. Very little training equals ruining the reputation of Heartland.

They are on a DM hiring spree thinking this will increase sales. It's done the opposite. Instead of having one manager in a single state there can be 2 to 12 Division Managers in a single state and remember, DM's don't sell, they are just a bloated useless middle management that has to fed by the sales people.

The VP's and DM's are extremely paranoid about reps leaving to go to a competitor and yet they continue to require FTA's (First Time Appointments) be put into the company CRM and they have doubled down on threatening to do daily intention emails and daily recap calls to reps who miss quota. Incredibly sad.

Advice to Management

You have lost your way. I really don't think there is any way for you to recover. There is already a mass exodus underway and it's only going to be more sales reps leaving because you refuse to acknowledge the real problem....your culture is toxic and has been for quite some time. Your veterans trust no one and you keep ignoring what should be plain as day to you.

"Withholding Compensation of Portfolio Residuals"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked as a Relationship Manager at Heartland for more than a decade. I loved the culture and the endless income potential. It was the perfect place to work until the acquisition by Global.

Cons

When I left to join a competitor, in May 2017, I still had 5k owed to me in Signing Bonus and a few thousand in monthly residuals that CEASED! Global decided to stop paying me the monies owed me and also the portfolio of residuals that I had left. It was a very disenchanting sunset on a company that I once believed in, and I will not be silenced until I am compensated for the work I did. Beware of companies that promise you their previous owners dreams and not fully disclose their own.

"Heartland is now Global Land"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pre Global days, Heartland was a company to retire with. Treated like seasoned sales people, given the flexibility to work your own schedule, and a support system that WAS second to none.

Cons

Now as Global Land, extreme micro management. Spent more time completing administrative paperwork, internal email to deal with every 15 minutes, and faultering support system. All this and still expected to sell the service at 100% commission.

Advice to Management

More like a question. Why would Global purchase Heartland because of the unique culture, and then destroy that culture? Heartland culture is now the level of First Data, Global, World Pay. absolute shame.

"Relationship Manager"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Before the Global buy, it truly was a company who believed in doing the riggt thing for its customers and sales team

Cons

Micromanaging and lack of integrity, transparency and advocacy for customers and employees

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and stop lying to your sales force and not adequately disclosing fee increases to your customers. After 6 years of believing everything I was told and doing every report, call and going above the call of duty it was all in vain. Your leaders only care about making their bank accounts full. Oh and the Merchant Bill of Rights as well as the Salesperson Bill of Rights have become smoke and mirrors. You now talk out of both sides and have no plans on doing the right thing. Shame on you! Withholding commissions and slander is what you get when you leave so POTENTIAL NEW HIRES, think long and hard before agreeing to join their ranks. You are bullies, liars and yes you are thieves. Here is fact for you- the truth will inevitably come out on the sickening practices of those in charge and the only people to blame are yourselves.

"RM"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

The schedule is great and flexible.
    The values of the company are great.
    The product is great.

Cons

You really need to be a self starter and keep focused.
    The training could be better.

Advice to Management

Something is missing in my experience with keeping the training moving forward. There are great systems in place to help people achieve success but they are not being effectively implemented.

"Know what you are getting in to!"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Heartland truly sets itself apart from other companies. Customer service is excellent, if all paperwork is in order, accounts can be converted very quickly through ipad enrollment. Atlas CRM tool can benefit you from a prospecting standpoint. You may do well if you can cut it, and find you are making good money, but you better be working all angles...referral partners, biz associations, networking, cold calling...haha! Good luck.

Cons

Wow. Know what industry you are getting into. You are selling a perceived commodity product in an extremely broken industry. Merchants switch providers constantly and you are just another rep. Do your best to convince them otherwise, preach the wholesome Heartland story, and they will tell you "that's what the last guy told me." Prep for constant rejection. Come out of the gate seeking referral partners immediately, demand help from TM or management. You will prospect and say "credit card processing" and eyes immediately glaze over. If you leave a proposal chances are they will leverage against current provider. You need to commit fully if you take job, just KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO!!

Advice to Management

None, the system completely works to their advantage. I know they want great reps and to retain them, most management are all good people, but if you leave you still brought on accounts and added to the profitability of Heartland regardless. They'll hand your iPad to the next guy.