Heartland Payment Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Jeffrey S. Sloan
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries) (in 22 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is what you want it to be (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Con for most people is that it is 100% commission and starting without a book of business (in 26 reviews)

• The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased (in 23 reviews)

1. "Great until acquired"

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This used to be a great place to work. They cared about their employees and their clients. They did a lot to make sure you were happy and in return able to do your best work for the clients.

Cons

After Heartland was bought by Global Payments, everything tumbled downhill. Suddenly, we didn't matter. Lays offs and budget cuts have ruined any morale that Heartland had left. In return, employees aren't doing their best work and it's affecting the clients.

2. "Client Manager"

Current Employee - Client Manager in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! Management is wonderful and rewards are great!

Cons

You’re sitting all day long.

"Not so much Heart anymore"

Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro is once you're trained they leave you alone as long as you know the job.

Cons

No in house IT to fix the multitude of system issues they are experiencing since being purchased by Global. You just cant do a great job without a computer system to do it with.

Advice to Management

Get together once in awhile with the people that actually do the job. You may be able to resolve a lot of ongoing issues.

4. "IT Manager"

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Good Place to work, good people

Cons

Small organization with limited upward mobility

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Heartland's Payroll division has slowly become a terrible place to work....."

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, benefits are pretty good (outside of wages). Great place to learn the industry.

Cons

Pay is below industry average, overall disregard for employee morale, very heavy top-down management style, employees are not empowered to help solve problems. Outdated internal technology.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if you at least pretended to care about your staff......instead of only caring about making a bigger profit for investors.

"RM/TM"

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

For the most part customers are treated well. However since I found out they're going to be charging everybody that's not using an EMV terminal $300, even though they're not required to use one, one has to ask is that considered treating your customers well?

Cons

Most get into this industry for the residuals and the residuals that Heartland pays out compared to most of the industry are quite low, even though they refuse to see that. The micromanaging is a unbelievable. When you constantly feel someone breathing down your neck and treating you like you're nothing more then the next sale you quickly realize that's their main concern. Reports and conference calls get so old and ridiculous. Putting people in positions that don't belong there, hey Vince L, shows that nepotism is running well. Go back to what you once were, when the Reps actually mattered.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people that don't earn it. Just because someone is good at sales does not mean they're going to make a good manager. Also stop having the same expectations 40m as you do an RM cuz all you want is to have your cake and eat it too. Being a TM it's difficult enough when you're trying to recruit, train and build your team up let alone having to worry about doing the same sales as required by everybody else, that's just asinine. Do you want someone in management hire them for management, if you want someone selling higher than for selling. It's turned into just another large company where the top bosses couldn't sell their way out of a bag if they had to get somehow think they know what's going to work for everybody else. Get back on track or keep losing all your reps.

"Definitely not the best"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

What has left from Heartland’s culture when Bob Carr was the CEO.

Cons

1. Despite what they are trying to sell you, They do not have the best comp plan out there.
    2. Their vesting program is not really fair, you should own your portfolio from day 1.

3. Global didn’t change Heartland but putting people in charge when they didn’t earn the position and didn’t have the experience made Heartland what it is today.

4. Super micro management. Want to make a salesperson leave? Micromanage her.
    Constantly asking for reports and having meetings to have meetings to have meetings.

Advice to Management

Put people who have experience and know the business in charge not VL.

I put negative vote on the CEO for his poor decision choosing the current CSO.

"Customer Advocate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jeffersonville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jeffersonville, IN

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money and money and that is all I can think of.

Cons

MIcromanaged...... it was a miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

Ask yourself why there are no positive reviews from the Jeffersonville location?

9. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate Live Chat in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate Live Chat in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Heartland Payment Systems. Heartland allows for great work/ life balance, good pay, good benefits, great advancement and recognition. Great team environment, great management team. If you want to learn more they will teach you more.

Cons

There are no negatives to report.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive atmosphere, you're doing a fantastic job so far.

10. "One of the Best Companies I've Worked for in my Life"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is friendly and positive. Most Respectful place I've ever worked in. Upper management has an open door policy and they take time to appreciate the employees. Have had a few issues that were address with I consider excellent customer service.

Cons

Starting pay is not based off of previous experience, and should be higher as the expectations are high.

Advice to Management

My only concern is that we lose good people due to other companies paying higher wages. Having to much turnaround in employment does effect the overall customer experience as newer employees do make more mistakes.