Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Updated May 13, 2021

3.5
Heartland Payment Systems Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey S. Sloan (no image)
Jeffrey S. Sloan
Pros
  • "They do have some good programs for merchants(in 58 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is completely controlled by you(in 44 reviews)

• Cons
  • "residuals only apply if the clients remain payroll customers, which is very unlikely(in 70 reviews)

• "High PCI non-compliance fees for merchants(in 59 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Heartland Payment Systems and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

Heartland Payment Systems

Feb 9, 2021 - Territory Manager in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am in my 6th year at Heartland and I couldn't be more proud of the company I work for. Heartland has paved a way for me that I never thought was possible. I work a flexible schedule and have the ability to build my own business. The compensation plan is very generous and has allowed me to build a great future for me and my family. Although you are running your own business the support from management, trainers, and colleagues is amazing. I get the support I need when I need it and the training is unparalleled to any other company I previously worked for. I belong to a great team here in Arizona specifically and I couldn't be happier to be apart of the team! I am looking forward to many more years to come.

Cons

The sales position is not for everyone. The entrepreneur that is driven, strong sales skills and a self-starter is what it takes! (Not really a con on the position).

2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great People

Apr 29, 2021 - Sales in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team was amazing and the training was there. They want you to succeed in a tough industry and understand the struggles

Cons

The field is a tough one to be in and has way more no's then any other sales jobs I've ever had, no physical office, not super clear on the things they need you to do.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Compensation

May 4, 2021 - Inside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing work culture. Ability to make a lot of money. Multiple financial solutions can be sold. Partner together with sales reps in other departments to make money. Can take off whenever you want.

Cons

100% Commission. Commission capped at $7500 then the rest paid after 13 months. 45% off any deal you sell. No PTO since all commission.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee

n/a

May 13, 2021 - Division Manager in Jersey City, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

freedom, no over site, and residuals

Cons

base salary is a draw

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fair pay... for non remote workers

Apr 19, 2021 - Implementation Specialist in Augusta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can work anywhere in the US

Cons

If you're anywhere but Rochester NY, don't expect to get paid a fair wage or be given opportunities to grow. They'll give you more work and a 5 cent raise if you go above and beyond and that's it. I knew more about the end user product than anyone, developers included, and they refused to give me a management position because I didn't live in their main location, despite them claiming that wasn't the case. Odd that they ended up filling the management role with someone outside of the company in the main location. Also, they'll claim cost of living is what keeps you being paid less than your coworkers, but that's bull and they know it. They'll pay you as little as possible while you break your back working for them.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Beware of Sneaky Pricing Tactics

Mar 3, 2021 - Sales Representative in Erie, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy application Process, Great Prospecting Tools with Atlas, work from home.

Cons

They keep the majority of your residuals, 15/85 split with them keeping 85%, 50% signing bonus, but that can hurt you a year later when they true up, if the business did not perform at normal levels of merchant sales. If you go Residual Only, no upfront bonus, and 30% residuals. Anywhere else you can easily get 50%-80% if you residual only structures and make WAY MORE money. Unrealistic sales goals that climbed year over year. Started out with NO quota, then $3k a month, then $6k a month a year later, then $8k a month.....and now it is up to $10k a month. Ludicrous expectation on a monthly basis if you don't have an affiliate partner referring you....because they are all snatached up by other reps in the area. Adding a ridculous $125 MONTHLY recurring fee for PCI non-compliance, Then a year late a new monthly fee of $49.95 for Customer intelligence. Now a new one coming out in April for another 60 BP if they are not using a chip reader on all face to face transactions. The OLD Heartland would never do this. It is NOT THE SAME COMPANY as it was before Global bought them out a few years agp.

8 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Unlimited opportunities

Apr 24, 2021 - Payroll Division Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great entrepreneurial culture. Uncapped compensation. Residual income for life (even if you leave Heartland)

Cons

No salary, 100% incentive based, which to some is a con but that what allows you to be able to earn 3,4,or5 hundred k per year (or more

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Only work here if you want experience

May 4, 2021 - Payroll Specialist in Rochester, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

They are desperate (they sent an email about their terrible retention as I was leaving and even raised the referral reward) and will take anyone so if you want the job you got it. Lots of PTO

Cons

Though it's nice to break into the industry the fact that no one knows what they are doing and things get messy. BUT BE WARNED THEY HAVE A POLICY TO NOT. THEY WILL NOT. BE A PROFESSIONAL REFERENCE. If you are a payroll specialist all problems go to you to fix no department is helpful at all and they will send the issue there. Extremely high call volume and client volume and high stress. Sales reps lie about the product and get clients angry when we can't do what was promised. Also the high turnover means there are constant coverage issues. Everyone has a lot of PTO which is nice BUT it just means that people are always out and you will be doing your job+all of another person's work at least once or twice a week. Also there were multiple outbreaks of COVID-19 in the office (they do NOT social distance or really enforce masks) and we were not officially told by management until two weeks after the first outbreak. After that they said nothing and tried forcing more people to come to the office.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Plenty of potential, but focus and process are missing

Mar 10, 2021 - Communications & Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of kind people work here. For the most part, there's a genuine desire to create a good experience for customers and employees. C-level is more accessible than usual. They've begun to hire more specialized and experienced employees, which is a needed change to keep the company competitive.

Cons

The lack of organization at Heartland will make your job harder than it should be. Emergencies are common because processes and procedures aren't in place. Direction changes consistently with little to no explanation. There's no onboarding. You're expected to figure things out on your own for the most part. Nepotism is a widespread issue.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

Apr 27, 2021 - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

get work environment great benefits

Cons

training need to be extended to make you more efficient.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 885 Reviews