Heartland Payment Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

Jeffrey S. Sloan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries) (in 22 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is what you want it to be (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • All this and still expected to sell the service at 100% commission (in 24 reviews)

• The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased (in 23 reviews)

"The tides are changing"

Current Employee - Employee in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Employee in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good base salary

Opportunities to advance

I don't know what else to put in here, but it requires a twenty word minimum...

Cons

Acquired by Global Payments

Acquisition is hitting snags and causing confusion

Poor communication of changes

More to make twenty words.

"Do your homework before coming on board!"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a merchant service provider, it's one of the better companies. Direct processor, good merchant phone support. Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries).

Cons

Commission only, so you only get paid when you bring business to Heartland. I wouldn't even consider this job if you don't already have a book of business and a solid reputation in this business or a similar business that accepts credit cards. Being very friendly with a cash register dealer is the best scenario, that way you'll get all the CC leads (like most all the other successful RMs) from the dealer instead of cold-calling. Don't consider this position if you need much support. Division manager is just a title given to someone to recruit. The word "team" is also just a word; you learn the names of your"team" members by referring to the group email that your manager sends out on regular basis asking for updates on your sales. If you're not connected to a lead generation source, you will struggle and you'll be on your own 100%. In addition to strong competition, there are loads of obstacles that will prevent you from writing the business, and those obstacles are growing.

Advice to Management

Time to get back to focusing on the merchant and how we can provide NEW and better solutions. You're trying to find ways to convince the sales force that the Heartland "culture" is alive and well after the Global acquisition. The culture will take care of itself as long as the company continues to put the merchants first. Stop focusing your energy on silly widgets to add profitability to new accounts along with dashboards to micro manage those widgets. Don't keep increasing the GMO needed for a signing bonus or increasing our monthly costs. Time to give us something new to take away the focus of pricing and talk about solutions for our merchants. How about robust analytics? How about better mobile solutions w/ EMV? How about a restaurant tablet solution? Give us something where pricing isnt the discussion and the rest will take care of itself. Stop talking about how great we are, we're not naive, we know what merchants want but you have to provide it so we can sell it.
    Lastly, stop retaliating against co-founder, Bob Carr, because he's taking Heartland employees, it's the nature of the business. Satisfy your current sales force by paying attention to your DM's (make sure they're really working by supporting their teams) and provide fair cost to the RMs with great solutions for the merchants. This will allow for happy merchants which will result in increased profit margins. No fancy widgits needed.

3. "Relationship Manager"

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Honest with their clients.

Cons

They do not provide leads to call.

"RM"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

The schedule is great and flexible.
    The values of the company are great.
    The product is great.

Cons

You really need to be a self starter and keep focused.
    The training could be better.

Advice to Management

Something is missing in my experience with keeping the training moving forward. There are great systems in place to help people achieve success but they are not being effectively implemented.

"Know what you are getting in to!"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Heartland truly sets itself apart from other companies. Customer service is excellent, if all paperwork is in order, accounts can be converted very quickly through ipad enrollment. Atlas CRM tool can benefit you from a prospecting standpoint. You may do well if you can cut it, and find you are making good money, but you better be working all angles...referral partners, biz associations, networking, cold calling...haha! Good luck.

Cons

Wow. Know what industry you are getting into. You are selling a perceived commodity product in an extremely broken industry. Merchants switch providers constantly and you are just another rep. Do your best to convince them otherwise, preach the wholesome Heartland story, and they will tell you "that's what the last guy told me." Prep for constant rejection. Come out of the gate seeking referral partners immediately, demand help from TM or management. You will prospect and say "credit card processing" and eyes immediately glaze over. If you leave a proposal chances are they will leverage against current provider. You need to commit fully if you take job, just KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO!!

Advice to Management

None, the system completely works to their advantage. I know they want great reps and to retain them, most management are all good people, but if you leave you still brought on accounts and added to the profitability of Heartland regardless. They'll hand your iPad to the next guy.

6. "Service Center Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jeffersonville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jeffersonville, IN

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits start on day one; plenty of PTO time; medical insurance was a high deductible plan, but company contributed to your HSA; casual dress; relaxed atmosphere; lots of opportunities to learn new things and enter new career fields

Cons

NEPOTISM!!! They promoted from within, but relatives and friends got priority. They hired relatives, friends, friends of relatives, etc...; many of these people would get fired later. It was hard to watch. Very political. One project manager would be allowed to work from home, while others were not, and so on. One receptionist would get accepted in another department, while another would be pigeon-holed. A senior executive's wife would get to "work from home" after her maternity leave was up, while others had to return to work or lose their jobs. I understand they have since been bought, so this may have changed.

Advice to Management

Be professional. Hire people based on abilities. Treat everyone equally.

7. "Okay company to work for... management needs to be more honest"

Pros

Great pay ...continuous training... large territories to cover consistent products to offer

Cons

Poor Management ... territories are not assigned fairly... home office for meetings too far to commute no initial training offered

8. "Ok Company"

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Great culture. Fun co-workers. Office events and perks.

Cons

Management and typical office politics.

"OK company."

Pros

Easy going, nice peers and no more

Cons

Pay is not good for IT.

10. "Relationship Manager"

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large Footprint
    Great Products
    Tier 1 Processor

Cons

POS integration not up to par - very challenging to work with various systems