Heartland Payment Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Jeffrey S. Sloan
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries) (in 22 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is what you want it to be (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Con for most people is that it is 100% commission and starting without a book of business (in 27 reviews)

• The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased (in 23 reviews)

1. "Good for experienced sales person"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Rensselaer, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Rensselaer, NY

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly local management, great schedule flexibility

Cons

No structured training. Left on an island

2. "Not Really Worth It"

Current Employee - Production Processing Representative in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Production Processing Representative in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The pay is okay
    -The dress code is casual so you can wear anything
    -Some of the people are nice and helpful

Cons

Where do I begin...

-When I started, I had an emergency, and I had NO contact info to be able to tell my supervisor. I had to email my recruiter to ask her to tell them that I couldn't come to work. That is unacceptable to not have any information from supervisors when you first start and have any emergencies.
    -I had to sit with people for 3 weeks since I had just got hired after they did a session, so by the time I got into training about 3 weeks later, I was bored out of my mind, and they didn't try to train any more than they had to.
    -The system they use is so old and slow it is a pain to use. It is sad that you still need to use command prompt for daily work.
    -I had to bug HR to get me my own badge, every time I asked, no one had any idea, nor do they want to help.
    -I was supposed to get federal clearances, but after I took the time to fill out the process and get references, it never ended up happening because the lady had magically disappeared and no one did anything. I was not the only one affected, there were at least 5 others in that same boat.
    - They have a guy who walks around to bust you if you are not doing anything or checking your phone. He is like a hall monitor and is a real jerk.
    -You have to contact HR in Ohio by email to do anything, and they take their good old time getting back to you, or they do the constant back-and-forth and make things really hard.
    -The turnaround is super high, and you then get stuck with all new work that has to be done in the same timeframe as your current work and they yell at you for taking so long to do something.
    -They use production logs, so you have to put down every single little thing you do, and you can turn around and do more than 8 hour's worth of work in that day, which can be stressful
    -They change procedures on you, and when you ask why when it directly concerns you, they will not tell you but then tell you that it is not a big deal and ignore the fact that you asked for a reason.
    -They tell you to do something one way, but when you do that, they yell at you for doing it that way even though they told you to do it that way!
    -They may not always walk around, but there is serious micromanaging going on, and then they try to cover it up with cute activities and team stuff that is useless.
    -People you work with can be catty and sneaky behind your back, as some will just throw you under the bus if you are working on other things
    -They say that the job is fast paced, but only because the work you need to do is all done in a certain time frame, then you get stuck in something or you end up with nothing else to do.
    -If you make a mistake, some people will just bite your head off and act really rude, but then when it is resolved, they don't apologize for their behavior, they just ignore you and what had just happened.
    -The PTO is ridiculous. You get 16 days, but that number is also your sick time, and if you call off because you are sick, it looks bad on you and they mark your account. Also, you get docked for taking a longer lunch without asking or you come in late or leave early by 5 minutes.

Advice to Management

We are not robots, please stop trying to treat us as such. The more you treat us like crap, the more that is reflected out and I hear horrible things about this company from customers all the time.

"Turn Around and Run...Fast"

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Before the Global buyout it was great. They cared about employees and their families. Flexible hours and decent pay...now complete crap

Cons

They completely LIED! As soon as the buyout was complete with Payroll 1 they allowed Elaine Kelly to take over and she ran the payroll division into the ground. Then after Global took over all communication STOPPED. And finally in a brilliant decision they decided to take the most experienced payroll/tax office and close it in favor of the high turnover, cheaper office in Brook park OH just to save a few bucks on the bottom line. These people do NOT care about people only the coins in their bank accounts!

Advice to Management

Treat people better and look at the entire picture before making major decisions.

4. "AMAZING Benefits!"

Current Employee - Petroleum Customer Advocate in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Petroleum Customer Advocate in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The most helpful work environment I've ever been apart of. Excellent beginning pay. Top of the line office equipment, especially the chairs! Huge on-site gym with locker rooms, 2 basketball courts, cafeteria, and a daycare. Health insurance, 401K, and 120hrs PTO/yr! Health insurance kicks in after 30 days, but all other benefits begin DAY 1!

Cons

The worst part of the job is sitting for long periods of time. However, you can stand & stretch as much as you want.

5. "Decent job stable"

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Steady work, nice co-workers. Its a stable job.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Gap between employees and managers

"Back in Highschool"

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Jeffersonville, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Jeffersonville, IN

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting pay
    Easy job
    Okay perks; on-site dining, gym, daycare, employee events

Cons

Very cliquey management. My former supervisor basically ignored and degraded anyone she decided was no longer in her clique, even if they were on her team.
    Degrading employee incentives. They treated us like children, awarding us stickers for good behavior and trying to make us play call floor games to boose morale. It felt like we were in elementary school again.
    Inconsistent structure between departments

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like professional adults and leave your drama at home. Employees should not feel like they have to win a popularity contest just to speak to their management.

"Horrible processor bait and switch"

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Where to start, bait and switch, pressured to sell no matter if there’s savings or not, always tell customer there’s savings. Not cool. Management is clueless

8. "IT"

Current Employee - Ops in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Ops in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing to do
    People act busy but are not

Cons

Nothing to do
    Drowning in old technology

Advice to Management

Fire everyone

9. "If your a highly skilled prospector with a highly experienced manger and 6 mo savings youll do fine."

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

The pay can be good, and there is a lot of freedom. Extremely competitive industry.

Cons

100% commission and all the expenses are on you. Make sure your DM is experienced and comes from this industry. Businesses (because of past practices in this industry) view you as less trustworthy than a used car salesman.

"Great potential for the right person who has a secondary source of income."

Former Employee - Relationship Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can last 2 years, residual income opportunity

Cons

The strict underwriting process makes this straight commission position an income roller coaster.

Advice to Management

Offer a base salary the first two years until new reps have created some residual income.