Heartland Payment Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Updated May 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You work from home or out in your territory with very little communication with upper management (in 20 reviews)

• Work/life balance is what you make it depending on your work ethic (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased (in 22 reviews)

• Your work life balance can suffer because of it (in 11 reviews)

"Human Resources Coordinator"

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Heartland ECSI has a great company culture! The environment is fun and exciting and I look forward to going to work each day. All levels of management are extremely communicative and open to suggestions. The company has an open door policy and I feel like my input is respected and considered throughout the company.

Cons

The pay is slightly less than I anticipated, but the relaxed culture and intrinsic rewards associated with my work are greater than they would be elsewhere, so that may play a part in the pay.

"Not the same company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jeffersonville, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jeffersonville, IN

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location and building is top notch. They have a daycare and full gym with trainers on site. FYI Bob Carr is not the CEO anymore.

Cons

Heartland got bought buy Global Payments Systems and now its not the same.
    Global does not care about the people that work for them. They are heavy into offshoring. They are so big and disconnected they do not understand what made heartland grow so fast and be so successful. The basically gutted everything that made heartland what it was.

Advice to Management

Lower and mid level Management show get out while they can. Upper management needs to realize that investing in people pays off better in the long run then treat people like a commodity

3. "I enjoy working hear"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Plainfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Plainfield, NJ

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is all positive, co-workers are knowledgeable and helpful

Cons

Can be too demanding, macro managing, constant swift changes

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to junior employees, insurance premium was high.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Heartland Payment System takes is great company, ran by great people who understand the value of customer service.

Cons

Lack of diversity in senior management

6. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing training. Team atmosphere. Positive work environment.

Cons

No cons really. Hard work will pay off for the right kind of sales person.

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Create your own income. Flexible work schedule. Vesting. Residuals. Unlimited income potential. 401k.
    Insurance. Amazing sales support. Always on the cutting edge of the industry.

Cons

This industry is full of dishonest companies. Other than that I do not have any complaints. I love my job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!! Awesome team.

"Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to learn the business

Cons

Micro Management, unethical, has a what have you done for me today attitude! Pay is very low & no true vesting

Advice to Management

Go out & beat the streets with your reps instead of dictating

"Not at all what they promise"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work from your home. Make your own hours. The market is saturated.

Cons

You work fully by Commission and residuals. Once you sign huge accounts they will find a reason to let you go. That way they don't have to pay hear the monthly residuals. I signed a $19 million dollar account and the next week I was laid off

"Entrepreneurs and Relationship Building Sales Pros Make Terrible Telemarketers, and Lying is Never the Way.."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Relationship Manager in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Relationship Manager in Edmond, OK

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Heartland truly is the kind of company anyone should be proud to represent. An honest and transparent company that operates with integrity and is focused on doing business the right way with great products and services and they do this in a very shady, non regulated, niche of running a business in regards to credit card payment processing.

Cons

The slogan on the company sign as you enter the building says "Entrepreneurs respectfully Serving Entrepreneurs", in the interview they stress a desire to hire entrepreneur minded individuals that are rapport building business professionals partnering with other businesses and providing honest services and pricing... After being hired because this description fit my skill set perfectly, they provided no feedback or coaching whatsoever just demanded that you were hired to telemarket to cold leads and they did not want anyone actually building the business they promised you could earn equity in and someday sell... Ya don't hire entrepreneurs or business starters to sit and dial 100 warn out cold leads instead of using hot and warm leads to start a network to provide referrals and such.

Advice to Management

Be honest in hiring, if you want someone to just call over and over like a machine say so, don't promise an entrepreneur the opportunity to build a business working with other entrepreneurs if you're not going to allow them to do that.

"Talented Reps Look Elsewhere - Hardly Worth the STRESS"

Former Employee - Sales in Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Sales in Concord, NH

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial culture seems noble in an unregulated, over-saturated, cesspool of an industry. There are some talented sales-people, including strong divisional managers. However, Mgt. seems reluctant to introduce newbies to their teams perhaps due to incredibly high turnover. This became obvious when they refuse to ship your company ipad / business cards until you complete 'Jump Start' training by securing 10 leads.

Cons

95% of job is Prospecting / Cold-Calling + over-saturated market amounts to STRESS. Applied given Selling Power's Best 50 Co's to Sell For - based on 50% commission structure with plenty of freedom to make it happen. Hardly the case!!!

They pay you NOTHING – 0% reimbursement for phone / internet expenses or car allowance / maintenance – and even worse, MICRO-MANAGE you like you are 15 years old. Managers require that you send them ‘daily-intention’ emails to hold you accountable on securing leads or what they call first time appointments (FTA’s). Was told to best way to build leads was bake cookies and deliver to prospects... For all the cold-call training modules on networking, catering treats was really your best advice offered aside from hitting up family-friends?

Brutal sales environment. The industry has a horrible reputation that is a major stumbling block when selling. Regardless of what they tell you, selling for Heartland will not make you enough money to support yourself, let alone feed your family.

Advice to Management

Pay reps a stable base salary to build their book of business, cover minimal expenses including phone / internet, so that you retain talented people beyond 1-2 months. Burnout / Turnover seems inevitable without lead generation team and Zero base salary.