Heartland Payment Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Updated November 29, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries) (in 22 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is what you want it to be (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Con for most people is that it is 100% commission and starting without a book of business (in 27 reviews)

• The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased (in 23 reviews)

1. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate Live Chat in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate Live Chat in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Heartland Payment Systems. Heartland allows for great work/ life balance, good pay, good benefits, great advancement and recognition. Great team environment, great management team. If you want to learn more they will teach you more.

Cons

There are no negatives to report.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive atmosphere, you're doing a fantastic job so far.

2. "One of the Best Companies I've Worked for in my Life"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is friendly and positive. Most Respectful place I've ever worked in. Upper management has an open door policy and they take time to appreciate the employees. Have had a few issues that were address with I consider excellent customer service.

Cons

Starting pay is not based off of previous experience, and should be higher as the expectations are high.

Advice to Management

My only concern is that we lose good people due to other companies paying higher wages. Having to much turnaround in employment does effect the overall customer experience as newer employees do make more mistakes.

3. "Great place to start a career!"

Current Employee - Associate Customer Service Advocate in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Customer Service Advocate in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Open door policy
    *Everyone helps each other out
    *Good pay
    *Various shifts to fit your needs.

Cons

*The cafeteria isn't open for the later shift employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Relationship Manager - Indianapolis"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The local Manager was great

Cons

Where do I start..
    Training - There were 12 - 1 hour phone conference calls (once a day for 2 weeks). They were incredibly basic and did not go over any competitors, systems issues, or anything you would really see in the field. As long as you could write an order up, they didn't care about anything else. I was instructed to go cold calling before I had any type of training. I also scheduled 8 appointments for my 2nd week. I was reprimanded because I was only supposed to do 5. I have never seen anything like that in a sales organization.

Integration was a huge issue - I wanted to target fitness centers and dental offices. I was told not to -- after I started. This was because Heartland's system does not integrate with MANY software systems businesses use.

Upper Managers - sent out daily "pep" emails that were embarrassing to receive and unprofessional. We are most definitely not superheroes, no matter how many times they say it. They also ignored calls, emails, and voicemails because they do not want to be bothered.

Integrity - I found multiple customers who had their contracts changed after they signed it. This was done by a tenured rep, who also wrote a personal check to the business for their termination fee. The check bounced! (I saw emails confirming all of this.) ---- Upper managers knew, but did not care because he puts up numbers.

Saturation - "Only 18 relationship managers in Indiana" -- reality - 25. Also, they were hugely focused in Indianapolis. I can't tell you how many times I was the 2nd or 3rd Heartland Rep to see them this week. Also, there are MANY other businesses that are good processors. I was led to believe Heartland was superior to other companies. It depends on the Relationship manager and how high they price your contract. The systems suggests as high as possible.

I 100% regret going to Heartland. I am now in a very tough spot because of this company.

Advice to Management

Be transparent when hiring, so people don't make a HUGE career mistake.
    Integrity is something that needs to be worked on, even if someone has high sales.
    Training is virtually nonexistent.

"Unscrupulous and unethical employer"

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I do not have a positive word.

Cons

Do not work for Heartland. Management lies during the interviewing process. Highly unprofessional management team.

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

great culture! good benefits, family environment, transparent and honest company, care about their employees

Cons

I don't believe there are any cons.

"Relationship Manager"

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Nice people, there is an opportunity to make more, but it is commission only. They did pay residual income, so if you can keep your customers happy, you will do better

Cons

There is a lot of money spent on gas, phone and other expenses that they do not compensate for. Very difficult to get to a higher amount of commission

"Great company with a great moto sets up for failure"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Reading, PA

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The concept of flat rate interchange is good, they are trying to change the culture

Cons

They do not support, no base salary

Advice to Management

Create a base, standardize forms and create better sales material and educational material about interchange.

"Relationship Manager"

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Flexibility, stock discounts, residuals and residual buy out program, good commission potential

Cons

commission only, outsourced management, changing culture

Advice to Management

Stop hiring competitors for management positions and foster a better culture by advancing existing employees

"Look elsewhere, lousy way to live"

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can think of

Cons

Zero base salary (tiny, temporary initial base which must be paid back immediately)
    Zero help with leads
    Pushing, prodding, harassment by management, as well as sheer misinformation about the “opportunity” to make a living. Unless you are financially well off and would like to expend lots of energy and effort with zero to little financial return, do not get involved. Very little brand name recognition with payroll, nearly impossible to penetrate. Reality is that unless a business has a broken, screwed up payroll system, they will have little or no reason to speak with you. Extremely low demand for this product, so if you are OK with burning through savings for 1-2 years and earning what amounts to peanuts, this job is absolutely for you!

Advice to Management

Have the humanity & decency not to prey on individuals who are unemployed/on shaky & desperate financial ground by misrepresenting this position and the earnings potential/timeframe.
    Unless the compensation structure involves a guaranteed living wage/salary, do not have the audacity to treat employees like unpaid slave laborers.