Heartland Payment Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Updated November 29, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries) (in 22 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is what you want it to be (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Con for most people is that it is 100% commission and starting without a book of business (in 27 reviews)

• The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased (in 23 reviews)

"Ask them how many class action lawsuits they are in with former employees"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company mostly delivers for merchants but that's starting to change.

Cons

They achieve savings for the merchants by ripping off their reps. The lifetime residuals will end shortly after you quit if they feel your accounts will stay and the payout isn't fair for basically paying them to show up for work.

Advice to Management

Pay your sales reps fairly and be as honest with them as you are with merchants.

"HEARTLESS- So much turnover they don't announce new hires or terms."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Sales Compensation Plan is Unbelievable.

Cons

Heartless Management. They turn sales people fast and often.
    Charge backs due to poor service are MONTHLY.
    Payroll product is a basic product with no real features.
    Implementation starts less than 50% of Payrolls on schedule.
    Operations has no relationship with payroll sales.
    There is zero marketing and advertising, (Your on your own kid!).
    Cross-selling between divisions does not existent, (Despite the promises to the contrary).

Advice to Management

Document a Payroll Operational Procedure guide.
    Begin using metrics to measure Operational effectiveness.
    Focus on Starting clients on-time.
    Add employee turn-over as a component to the sales management compensation plan.
    ADVERTISE the payroll product. Ever heard of GOOGLE?
    MARKET the payroll product.
    Create Payroll Brochures.
    Buildout the payroll product to better compete in the market.

"Implementation manager"

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

The job was work from home

Cons

A lot of work for poor pay

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"100% commission only job"

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bring a book of business with you. Otherwise, you will not be able to make it.

Cons

75% turn over rate. Only 25% of the sales reps make it at Heartland. They do not pay for anything. You are on W-2, get medical/dental that you pay out of pocket, they match 401K. That's all. No mileage reimbursment, no company phone, no company lap-top (except for an iPad that you will get). Some accounts pay signing-bonus (the ones that are low/medium risk and have previous processor's statements), others do not. (high risk and the ones that do not have previous processo's statements). You get 15-25% residual income depending on what "Diamond" level sales rep you are. High micromanaging environment.

Advice to Management

District Managers not involved enough with their associates.

"Do your homework before coming on board!"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a merchant service provider, it's one of the better companies. Direct processor, good merchant phone support. Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries).

Cons

Commission only, so you only get paid when you bring business to Heartland. I wouldn't even consider this job if you don't already have a book of business and a solid reputation in this business or a similar business that accepts credit cards. Being very friendly with a cash register dealer is the best scenario, that way you'll get all the CC leads (like most all the other successful RMs) from the dealer instead of cold-calling. Don't consider this position if you need much support. Division manager is just a title given to someone to recruit. The word "team" is also just a word; you learn the names of your"team" members by referring to the group email that your manager sends out on regular basis asking for updates on your sales. If you're not connected to a lead generation source, you will struggle and you'll be on your own 100%. In addition to strong competition, there are loads of obstacles that will prevent you from writing the business, and those obstacles are growing.

Advice to Management

Time to get back to focusing on the merchant and how we can provide NEW and better solutions. You're trying to find ways to convince the sales force that the Heartland "culture" is alive and well after the Global acquisition. The culture will take care of itself as long as the company continues to put the merchants first. Stop focusing your energy on silly widgets to add profitability to new accounts along with dashboards to micro manage those widgets. Don't keep increasing the GMO needed for a signing bonus or increasing our monthly costs. Time to give us something new to take away the focus of pricing and talk about solutions for our merchants. How about robust analytics? How about better mobile solutions w/ EMV? How about a restaurant tablet solution? Give us something where pricing isnt the discussion and the rest will take care of itself. Stop talking about how great we are, we're not naive, we know what merchants want but you have to provide it so we can sell it.
    Lastly, stop retaliating against co-founder, Bob Carr, because he's taking Heartland employees, it's the nature of the business. Satisfy your current sales force by paying attention to your DM's (make sure they're really working by supporting their teams) and provide fair cost to the RMs with great solutions for the merchants. This will allow for happy merchants which will result in increased profit margins. No fancy widgits needed.

"Imploding as we speak"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The long time veterans are great to work with. There are many people at the Service Center that go above and beyond to help me.

Cons

Sadly, we have a CSO who shouldn't have been put in this position. He's very negative on national calls and likes to be passive aggressive. He's constantly talking about how sales is believing rumors and propaganda but he doesn't get how bad we are being treated by the VP's and the SVP's who turn a blind eye to the tactics being used to micro-manage the sales force. When you have a VP who lists the names of sales people in a region-wide email that will be getting a call from their manager in the morning, you have clearly started to implode as a sales organization.

Nearly all of the new hires in my region are clueless and have had zero investment put into them by their managers. It's basically a free for all. Very little training equals ruining the reputation of Heartland.

They are on a DM hiring spree thinking this will increase sales. It's done the opposite. Instead of having one manager in a single state there can be 2 to 12 Division Managers in a single state and remember, DM's don't sell, they are just a bloated useless middle management that has to fed by the sales people.

The VP's and DM's are extremely paranoid about reps leaving to go to a competitor and yet they continue to require FTA's (First Time Appointments) be put into the company CRM and they have doubled down on threatening to do daily intention emails and daily recap calls to reps who miss quota. Incredibly sad.

Advice to Management

You have lost your way. I really don't think there is any way for you to recover. There is already a mass exodus underway and it's only going to be more sales reps leaving because you refuse to acknowledge the real problem....your culture is toxic and has been for quite some time. Your veterans trust no one and you keep ignoring what should be plain as day to you.

7. "Awesome experience. I love the culture and the leadership. You have every opportunity to succeed."

Current Employee - Sales Trainer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Trainer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the culture and the leadership. They really have your best interests at heart. The hours are very family friendly and the pay is satisfactory.

Cons

No major cons that I can think of at all. I'm very satisfied. It is hard to get work from home options if that's what you're looking for.

8. "Relationship Manager"

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Honest with their clients.

Cons

They do not provide leads to call.

"Salespeople are told a lie, you only own residuals if you work for Heartland or never attempt to work for a competitor."

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They had a great history until founder sold to corporate America. Some good technology. Heartland still has a lot of Associations they're preferred even though they have very little presence in accounts with major associations. They're some fantastic people still there, at least for now.

Cons

Micro-management, salespeople are considered "head count", low commissions and no accountability on Heartland's part when paying commissioned salespeople. Their business structure looks like a pregnant lady; a few people at top then a majority of gross profit paying non-selling middle management and then the selling staff with the obligation to keep the bloat fed. Focus is on head count not developing.

Sales support is now non-existent and customer support is now a queue. Infrastructure is failing, businesses are fighting to get their funds. Not a pretty site. Most of the top-producers have left (over 350).

Advice to Management

Shrink SVP's in half, instead of hiring or promoting VP's expand the DM role and require the DM to sale and install $8000 in margin annually. They lose touch to reality. Invest in the commission based selling people not the passive management.

Quit over promising and deliver!

10. "Good company. Some instability."

Former Employee - Product Marketing Director in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Director in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Good location (when I worked there). Good products.

Cons

Lots of inconsistency. My position was added, I was hired, and then it was cut after 8 months. My manager retired and there was no replacement plan. Company was recently sold.

Advice to Management

More employee engagement.