Heartland Payment Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Heartland Payment Systems Reviews

Updated June 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You work from home or out in your territory with very little communication with upper management (in 20 reviews)

• Work/life balance is what you make it depending on your work ethic (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased (in 22 reviews)

• Your work life balance can suffer because of it (in 11 reviews)

"Good if you have lot of money to hold you during the time you don't make money ."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Heartland job is 100% commission based which means you won't have any base salary . You would be in training for 2- 3 weeks and you get no salary .

Cons

Company wants you to work asap but they don't provide the laptop to work you bring your own . Company wants you to go the businesses but they don't provide car reimbursement and no phone reimbursement either . If you have a debt and you think that heartland would pay you lot so that you can pay off soon then good morning not going to happen . Don't join this company unless you are very rich and just thinking to do this job like your own company .

Advice to Management

Be supportive and add base salary in your payroll . Provide laptop to employees and the you can do good

"Great company...minus the majority of management"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The customer support, for the most part, are truly like family...love those guys & gals
    -Some wonderful salespeople, especially the seasoned veterans who have stuck through all the changes to Heartland with management over the years
    -If you get vested, it's a pretty good deal...residuals for the life of your account even if you leave the company and equity you can "cash out"

Cons

-Most of the management is terrible, never sold for Heartland and not knowledgeable with sales cycle and what really works, or the technology solutions

Advice to Management

I've worked for many organizations in the sales role, so this is not my first go-round...how is there never any performance reviews for management, zero input requested by upper management, yet strict sales quotas in a 100% commission role??? Zero expense account, car allowance, etc yet threats of termination when performance does not meet their arbitrary standards? Last I checked, with rents skyrocketing to over $3000 for a one-bedroom, it's pretty tough to find good people who will take a straight commission role. This ain't Atlanta, it's the Bay Area, with fierce competition and a high cost of living. Maybe that's why there hasn't been one salesperson hired who has succeeded in my geographic location in the 2+ years I've been here. I've tried to help relay this to management in order to construct a better "fly trap" so we can attract better talent and hire more reps, but they are too busy focusing on the "playbook" and attending leadership retreats to "better" themselves, rather than listen to the boots/eyes & ears on the ground. Thank god I'm vested, the clock is ticking on my tenure here...

"Relationship Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Product Advisor in Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Product Advisor in Jupiter, FL

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home and can sell to anyone, anywhere.

Cons

Tough industry with little support.

Advice to Management

Can the micro-management

4. "Relationship Manager"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Wilton Manors, FL
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Wilton Manors, FL

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems (More than a year)

Pros

great products and team members

Cons

Tough sales environment. The industry has a bad reputation that is a major stumbling block when selling.

"Training"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Heartland is a great company to work for. They seem to really care about their employees as well as their customers.

Cons

If you are in training and you have never done merchant processing, your chances for success are very limited. They hire managers that have no industry experience and it leads to frustration of new hires because they do not get adequate support and training. The blind are leading the blind while pressuring the new hires to reach sales quota.

Advice to Management

Change training for relationship managers to classroom training rather than phone and online training. An inexperienced manager cannot teach a new hire in the field, or with ride alongs.

"Does not care about employees"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great earning potential. 50% commission on deals that are signed and approved. There are some great people at this sales level. Fun meeting merchants in the field as well.

Cons

For some reason this company is extremely combative a lot of the time towards reps...WHO ARE OUT IN THE FIELD MAKING THE COMPANY MONEY! Getting applications for merchants approved is a nightmare half of the time.

Advice to Management

Promote from within the company. Incentivize the DM's to want to move up from an RM position. Do not hire DM's from outside the company with no industry or outside sales experience.

7. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company started out small and is growing quickly.

Cons

Company growing so quickly causing changes in resources, positions, project management, systems, and processes.

"CSRM. Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Edmond, OK

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love this job. It's good money. You get treated well. You are a W2 employee. What I like most is you get to make the money of sales position without the expense of traveling from store to store.

Cons

The first few months are brutal. Lots of cold calls until you begin to build a customer base. Once you do that, however, the work is much easier so hang on.

Advice to Management

Keep building inside team. Customers like it.

9. "Heartland provided many opportunities for me. I gained valuable knowledge working there."

Former Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in New Albany, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in New Albany, IN

Pros

Team players and self-motivated people have ample opportunity to thrive at Heartland, as those traits are rewarded by upper management.

Cons

I really don't have a lot of bad things to say about Heartland. Their IT division seems better taken of than those within support and operations. That never seemed fair.

10. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, positive atmosphere, helpful employees and management

Cons

Sometimes not staffed well for high call volumes