Heartland Petroleum Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I&E Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Heartland Petroleum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Department went to great lengths to assure maintenance and repairs were preformed properly and expediently.

Cons

Major purchases of software, hardware, updates and other than basic tools were extremely difficult. I regularly had to use my own computers to have something to work with. Pay increases in ht e form of step increases or even cost of living increases are virtually nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. People are not a commodity. The ability to progress both intellectually and financially is paramount to personal success.

2. "Used Motor Oil Re-Refining: A Tough Industry"

Current Employee - Confidential in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Confidential in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Heartland Petroleum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's the only refinery in Central Ohio. If you want to learn about this industry or enjoy working in it, give it a try. I like my colleagues and there are lots of challenges and opportunities. I hope the plant can stay open and provide much needed manufacturing jobs. There are only a dozen or so chemical plants in Central Ohio and this is one of them. The odor problems plaguing the plant in previous years have been largely resolved and there has been SOME capital investment.

Cons

This is a somewhat risky sector to work in. Yes, oil and gas is booming, but NOT re-refining. In today's market climate, I would be lieing if I said working here wasn't a risk. It might have a fire or close tomorrow. Like many chemical plants it's poorly located, so any odors or problems, impact upon office and light industrial workers along East Fifth Avenue. There have been multiple fires and citizens action groups have tried to close the facility. If you don't like working in the heavy chemical industry, you don't belong here.

Advice to Management

Plant was family-owned, then purchased by Warren Distribution, and most recently, Vertex Energy. This is NOT an easy industry for a company to make money in, so management has their work cut out for them. This industry is faced with consolidate, or die. The past has been chaotic; an announcement was made that all employees would be laid off, but plant was sold so we've retained our jobs -- at least, for now. Management needs to stay the course, make the difficult case for capital investments, and invest in human capital: technical professionals with experience. Lack of continuity due to frequent changes in management leads to a disorganized mess. Whether this happens under new management remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful. I wouldn't want to be the CEO in this difficult business environment!

"Good technology, poor implementation, even worse management/ownership direction."

Former Employee - All-everything, 24/7 Phone Calls in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - All-everything, 24/7 Phone Calls in Columbus, OH

I worked at Heartland Petroleum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Be an hourly employee. Little responsibility and absolutely zero accountability. Sit back and enjoy the paycheck. Bonus: get regular pay increases for having a pulse and out-make most management within 2 years!

Cons

If you are not hourly, and not an owner, you are faced with unbearable expectations and no growth opportunities. No merit/training/experience-based raises in over 3 years of employment.

Advice to Management

Suck it up and either shut down the facility or spend the money to hire experienced engineers with some experience with a refinery. Shoe-string budget and hit-and-miss operational decisions will be the downfall and there will be an accident.

"Disorganization"

Current Employee - Management in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Management in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Heartland Petroleum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Nothing else.

Cons

No one has any idea how to run a process plant. Four different managers in 3 years. Just complete chaos everyday.

Advice to Management

Hire people that know how to run this type of facility. Pay them what it takes to keep them. Experience is the key and this plant will never be successful if you don't keep your experience.