Heathrow Airport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Heathrow Airport CEO John Holland-Kaye
John Holland-Kaye

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, good salary and shift pay, unlimited potential to progress (in 5 reviews)

• Career development opportunities are available (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Means that a small grouo of senior managers get drawn into lots of "virtual" teams to deliver the ideas, over and above their day job (in 3 reviews)

• Shift work kills you life outside work and your standard of living (in 3 reviews)

"Most exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Rewards Specialist in Heathrow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Rewards Specialist in Heathrow, England (UK)

I have been working at Heathrow Airport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great career development opportunities... it wasn't always like that but last 3-4 years were a total game changer - you seem cross departmental movement all the time now. Personally in the last 3 years I've worked in 3 totally different and unrelated Functions that allowed me to develop my skills and my network. Love it!
    Great push for increasing MOJO (happiness at work) from the very top.
    Pay and benefits are great comparing to the other companies.

Cons

It's a heavily unionised place of work, so changes take more time that I would like, but it's definitely moving towards the right direction!

Advice to Management

Keep going as the direction is spot-on!

"Head of Risk"

Current Employee - Head of Risk in Hounslow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Head of Risk in Hounslow, England (UK)

I have been working at Heathrow Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for with a real feeling of family and empathy with employees.
    Very progressive and forward thinking

Cons

Complex business which requires hands on effort - not always easy based at Head Office

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to not only protect but also enhance Heathrow's reputation!

3. "Used to be a great company"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Heathrow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Heathrow, England (UK)

I have been working at Heathrow Airport full-time

Pros

Free parking, airport discounts

Cons

Used to be a great place to work but now wages have stagnated and moral is at an all time low, mangers are focused on targets and less on staff or security . Yearly salary has been reduced for new starters and the company have removed their early start and shift allowance, shifts are unsociable (1pm one day and 4am the next) your rotor also includes nights for which you will get no extra pay, the staring salary is at £21000 which is well below the average for London and the rest of the UK, you will also be expected to arrive 1 hour before your shift as staff parking is off the airport and you are required to catch a staff bus, this in total adds an extra 2 hours to your commute time per day.

Promotion in the past has been criticised for being unfair the company have taken steps to address this but still have a long way to go

There is also a very high risk of security being sub-contracted out in the very near future (like Gatwick) as the company look to reduce their costs even further so job security at the moment isn't great

Advice to Management

Keep security in house, be more transparent on promotions, stop cost cutting in security, team your staff better and be transparent on why our yearly bouns keeps getting reduced !

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Heathrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Heathrow, England (UK)

I worked at Heathrow Airport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people
    The environment
    Exciting place to work
    Varied job roles so can get lots of experience

Cons

Unsociable hours and long commute
    Decisions aren't always thoroughly considered or over analysed no middle ground
    Senior managers have their favourites - recruitment is always transparent

6. "Contracts Manager"

I have been working at Heathrow Airport full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Values, Variety, Market salary

Cons

Technical, Promotion, Transparency, Middle management issues

"Incredibly slow, backward thinking and boring"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Heathrow Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very over resourced - you can get away with doing nothing; overpaid and guaranteed a bonus if you turn up breathing; clean and spacious offices; free parking; and entertainment in the form of lots of basic people walking round with costa cups telling you how busy they are.

Cons

Penny pinching culture (be prepared to bring your own coffee and milk into work!); non-accountable senior management who demonstrate no aspirational behaviours; employees promoted based on service, not ability; severe lack of internal controls; ancient systems; huge and excessive spend on airport development (management have no sense of 'value'): governed by regulatory model (ballache getting anything done with efficiency and speed); excessive paperwork and bureaucracy; dreadful canteen; awful location (no shops or amenities nearby); and horrendous transport connections between Compass Centre (HAL head office) and the terminals (add 30 minutes to your journey if you're coming by train and expect to spend very little time in the airport itself).

Advice to Management

Make the senior management team actually accountable for delivering targets; get rid of the pathetic mojo stuff (patronising and ineffective); stop asking staff to 'check-in' and 'check-out' (embarrassing process where you have to start and end each meeting telling the room how you feel - awful!); upgrade your decrepit tech platforms; embrace tech (they won't know about this website - they don't even advertise on linked in!); and make the environment fun to work in (extremely slow and boring). Lots to do!

"An varied place"

I have been working at Heathrow Airport full-time

Pros

Everyday is different, it's always busy and there is a massive variety of roles.

Cons

Constantly trying to reduce staff costs has started curtailing opportunity.

"Deployment Manager"

Current Employee - Deployment Manager/Planner/Coordinator in Hounslow, England (UK)

I have been working at Heathrow Airport (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Communication, Friendly environment
    Busy environment

Cons

Nothing really, just really busy at times

"Recruitment needs to change"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Honselersdijk (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Honselersdijk (Netherlands)

I have been working at Heathrow Airport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pays the bills I guess

Cons

Unprofessional, misleading to new applicants. False hope.

Advice to Management

Review recruitment staff

11. "Work at the Heathrow Airport"

I worked at Heathrow Airport (Less than a year)

Pros

I love to work at Heathrow Airport because I can meet people from all countries every day and I can provide the best customer service to make every journey better! :)

Cons

Morning shifts are very hard because depends from department, some of us start the shift at 4 am and another at 5 am. It's hard to wake up at 3 am in the morning.

Advice to Management

Would be much better if we could start our work every time from the late shift after days off because then we would have more time to get rest at home. We could start our shifts for example : 2 days afternoons, 2 days morning then 2 days off.