Heidrick & Struggles Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Heidrick & Struggles Chief Executive Officer Tracy Wolstencroft
Tracy Wolstencroft

Pros
  • Great working environment with good work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Colleagues are fantastic, great people to be around (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • extreme overtime is expected and there is no work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• There might be some long hours at times, but there is also a lot of flexibility in your schedule at the same time (in 6 reviews)

1. "IT Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Heidrick & Struggles (More than 3 years)

Pros

A relatively good place work. Most management is involved in development and encourages growth.

Cons

Limited budgets to actually accomplish goals and objectives.

Advice to Management

projects are reprioritized too frequently

"Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Heidrick & Struggles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office location. You get to talk to a lot of very important people.

Cons

A LOT of company gossip. Boring cold call work, felt like a sales job. Very little mentorship within the team and also from outside the team in the office in general. Was told by an Engagement Manager that if I wasn't spending at least 12 hours a day at the office and putting in time on the weekends that I was going to progress within the company, but I saw the same EM sitting around and doing nothing for most of the day, so basically just being there but not being busy was better than being productive and having an outside life.

Advice to Management

Have a more streamlined new employee orientation that discusses how to do the job and not just put that on the partners who are extremely busy and constantly gone.

"Great place to work ."

Former Employee - Office Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Heidrick & Struggles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with' colleagues , always acknowledging your contributions effort and hard work .

Cons

Partners , consultants , and just about anyone from the Office Administrations manager and above the ladder are a complete opposite of what they would like you to believe , I I would not take what they say at face value , my advice would be ( Trust No One ) .

Advice to Management

Treat people as you would like to be treated. My transparent discontent does not reflect on all H&S employees , but just those whom discredit present or former employees behind closed doors .

"Senior Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Heidrick & Struggles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with intelligent and ambitious colleagues in an environment that fosters growth and development. Was fortunate to work with Partners and Practice Leaders who possessed exceptional management skills.

Cons

It's a very hierarchical environment and careers are either made or broken by Partners.

Advice to Management

The very leaders who are rewarded well for advising their clients on matters of hiring and leadership might brush up their skills for managing their own people.

6. "Payroll"

Former Employee - Payroll in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Payroll in Chicago, IL

I worked at Heidrick & Struggles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, nice amenities, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Very political and cut throat and lots of changes

Advice to Management

Look at the reasons for the high turnover and treat all employees fairly not just income producers. Culture needs work

7. "Good company"

Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Heidrick & Struggles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great benefits

Cons

Can be hierarchial and bureaucratic

Advice to Management

Have a better integration of service lines

8. "Great place to work and be mentored"

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Heidrick & Struggles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best in the business! Great place to be mentored. Very collegial environment and team-centric. Would definitley recommend.

Cons

Every office is different and H&S is a very partner-driven organization. Very dependent upon the partner you are aligned to, but excellent place in general to learn the ropes of the business.

Advice to Management

Think about aligning bonuses to capacity and % of each search completed. The bonus system today is a black box and each year it is at the digression of 1 person leading the industry sector to make the decision.

9. "Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Heidrick & Struggles (Less than a year)

Pros

Good culture, great office space and amenities

Cons

Unless you have a Vice President title, you mean very little to the bottom-line.

"Your Partner makes or breaks your experience."

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

Pros

The NYC office is beautiful. Free sodas and coffee/tea in the kitchen. Happy hours and drinking-related events on the company dime every few weeks. In general, everyone is incredibly nice, sociable, and helpful.

You get a work phone and laptop, and a nice little cubicle near your Partner's office.

The Heidrick brand's reception is incredible. Most executives at he C-level know of it, and respect it. It really feels like the elite of executive search, and in many ways, it is.

Cons

Unfortunately, your experience as an Associate is entirely dependent on your Partner. Depending on who you work for, you will either be set up for success or become a relentless working machine that is easily replaceable. In a few instances, you can find Associates that truly work hand in hand with their Partner - they receive support, continuous feedback, and dialogue both on their performance and on the candidates they are meeting and evaluating together. Sadly, this was not my case. I was not only expected to work 80-100 hour weeks but had to beg repeatedly for feedback and direction, when I had never done work like this before. There was little investment in my learning and development, but I was expected to kill myself with no support. So, very poor work/life balance.

Heidrick's culture also celebrates the bragging of working ridicilous hours. From Associates to Engagement Managers to Principals, everyone brags about how much they worked last night, how early they got into the office, how much they worked over the weekend, how they worked all through their vacation.

A few more cons: low pay, ridiculously low raises, politics typical of such a large and bureaucratic company.

Advice to Management

Focus on fixing the inconsistent Associate experience. They are your engine, and most are overworked, unhappy, and unmotivated.

"Research Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Heidrick & Struggles full-time

Pros

Nice office, great people, interesting clients . Very fast paced and dynamic work environment.

Cons

The company expects a lot out of you and does not return the favor. Poor pay, poor work life balance. Young talent is unfortunately treated as if they are interchangeable. (which, unfortunately they are).

Advice to Management

If you want to hold on to your younger generations of talent, treat them better