KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Heidrick & Struggles Reviews

Updated Sep 14, 2021

Found 365 of over 432 reviews

3.7
Heidrick & Struggles President and CEO  Krishnan Rajagopalan (no image)
Krishnan Rajagopalan
Pros
  • "Great people from the top down, truly interesting work, competitive rate(in 22 reviews)

• "work life balance is achievable on right team(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some teams have less work/life balance(in 19 reviews)

• "Potentially long hours, depending on the week(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Heidrick & Struggles and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years
      Featured Review

Good culture

Jun 10, 2021 - Principal
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent platform for career development. You are given full accountability for your role, and lots of support and training, including for more senior executives and staff. Sincere focus on internal people development and professional growth, while still maintaining an emphasis on delivering quality service to clients. Open and transparent culture.

Cons

This is actually a strong plus for the firm, but the apprenticeship model that is used may not appeal to everyone. There is focus on teamwork and collaboration, so someone looking only for personal gain may feel out of place.

2 people found this review helpful

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Leadership Advisory Firm

Jun 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong career path and employee development. Solid culture. Flexible environment. Top-tier player in the leadership advisory space.

Cons

Not easy to control how much work you take on. The work is rewarding, but at times, it feels intense and very busy.

Principal

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying our culture and flexible environment. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at feedback@heidrick.com

3. What people are saying about Heidrick & Struggles

Join the conversation on
      Join the conversation on
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Net Positive Experience

May 6, 2021 - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive comp and benefits. Overtime pay and decent PTO. EA cohort has a well-earned reputation for being 'best in class' and serves as an excellent support network. Opportunity to function in more of project management capacity and be considered an equal thought partner and team contributor, which is rarely the case in standard corporate EA roles. Excellent systems in place for constant training and development within the role. Company's focus has recently shifted more in the direction of ensuring a healthy work-life balance, and appear to be making an earnest effort to boost D&I.

Cons

More challenging, fast-paced, and demanding than your standard corporate EA role, and with a steep learning curve if you're crossing over into the world of search from corporate. Claiming overtime and taking PTO can be easier said than done, depending on the individual or team you're supporting. In fact, much of your experience depends on that dynamic... which you don't always have much control over outside of your ability to manage up and effectively communicate/uphold boundaries. The appreciation for an EA's contribution to a team's projects rarely translates to financial incentives based on quantifiable metrics in the way that it does for other team members, which can send a slightly discouraging message to a population that can often feel invisible within the organization.

2 people found this review helpful

Principal

Thank you for your feedback, and we are pleased that you are enjoying your work here at Heidrick & Struggles. We value your contributions. In our line of business, the pace and load of work go up and down. We understand the importance of a good work-life balance and are committed to ensuring a positive experience for our employees at all levels. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at feedback@heidrick.com.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Interesting work

Sep 13, 2021 - Engagement Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work and high visibility

Cons

No work life balance and expectations are unreasonable

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Hierarchy Abounds, Managerial Mindset Behind

Jul 15, 2021 - Executive Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

The senior partners operate in silos, which is a plus for an executive assistant as you form a beneficial working relationship with a small team. Salary and benefits for EA’s are excellent. The offices are quite modern, which is a nice environment. The perks, benefits and flexibility for the senior partner level are excellent.

Cons

Managerial wise, the mindset is archaic in terms of flexibility with no opportunity for advancement. There exists a clear hierarchy for all other levels and like most companies, the associate & manager level is overworked, often jumping ship to smaller companies not only for advancement but for a more innovative company approach.

Principal

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our flexibility, benefits and work environment. If you would like to share more about your experience and how we can improve, please email us at feedback@heidrick.com.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Leaders in Talent for good reason

Jun 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leaders with high EQ. Significant investments are made in learning and development and there is a clear focus on internal promotion to grow senior ranks in the organization. The business is interesting and exciting and moves at a rapid pace.

Cons

Not the type of place you go to if you want a regular, 9-5 sort of job. It is a professional services firm and therefore client demands often dictate how and when one works, and that means working long hours, nights and weekends at times.

Principal

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying our L&D programs. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at feedback@heidrick.com

8. 4.0
      Former Employee

Fun culture if you fit in!

Jun 9, 2021 - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture if you jive with those around you. They are more progressive than other executive search firms, but do have some internal kinks to work out.

Cons

Internal politics can get in the way a bit.

1 person found this review helpful

Principal

Thank you for your feedback, and we are pleased that you are enjoying our culture. We care about all aspects of work experience, and culture is an important part of that. Your input helps inform our future focus, and if you have any further feedback to share please email us at feedback@heidrick.com.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Going from strength to strength

May 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong management team with a clear vision to be the best leadership advisory firm in the world.

Cons

Similar to many professional services firms, more work needs to be done to recruit, retain and promote diverse talent.

1 person found this review helpful

Principal

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at feedback@heidrick.com.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee

Your career progression depends 90% on who you happen to have manage you - many great managers, some so-so.

Jan 27, 2021 - Analyst in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work culture - everyone is genuine and wants to get people involved. The company's mission and values are super important to everyone and work their way into everything we do.

Cons

Heidrick has a retention issue and will continue to have one as long as they continue to underpay their junior employees. 25 year olds with fantastic credentials and work-ethics should be paid more than what Heidrick usually is willing to pay. HR is an absolute mess - just points fingers everywhere else but themselves. Career progression is totally reliant on the position you happen to start in and whether or not your manager has any interest in advocating for you. Infuriating when you do everything you can and aren't rewarded.

4 people found this review helpful
    11. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Ok

Jun 30, 2021 - Executive Recruiter
      Business Outlook

Pros

nice people and did my job

Cons

not very competitive on pay

HR Project Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and we are pleased that you have enjoyed working with your colleagues. We appreciate you being so open with us as your input helps us inform future decisions and programs. If this is something that you would like to discuss further, please email us at feedback@heidrick.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 365 Reviews