Helen of Troy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Helen of Troy CEO Julien Mininberg
Julien Mininberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly environment; Easy work; Good benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Mostly) nice people, nice building/facility (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Applying for other jobs brings the question why one would want to leave this lucrative employer in the city of El Paso (in 5 reviews)

• There are cliques, is this high school (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Overall good place"

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in El Paso, TX

I worked at Helen of Troy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of growth opportunities; people are nice; great employee-oriented activities.

Cons

Upper management is not approachable. There are cliques, is this high school?

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be more approachable and listen to employees at all levels.

2. "Senior Oracle Database & Apps DBA"

Current Employee - Senior Oracle Applications Database Administrator in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time

Pros

It's a huge company with lot's new technologies in use

Cons

It's located in El Paso TX and is selling part of the company for which I work in MD

Advice to Management

I am starting to look for a new job becuase Healthy Directions, a subsidiary of Helen of Troy in MD, has recently been sold

3. "Test Manager"

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time

Pros

Wonderful people to work with.

Cons

Communication between diverse sites is not always good

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Helen of Troy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, great co-workers, nice office

Cons

This is the worst management team I have ever worked for in my 28 years. They leave employees out of meetings that relates directly to their business or uninvite them to important meetings; They have different rules for different people and those with bad behavior get away with it and I was told to "play nice" when I tried to stick up for myself or provide back-up on what the individual says is not correct; the VP is more concerned about being right than finding out what is right; don't ever challenge the VP, even if you are right and have legitimate points because he will make you pay for it with threats, bullying, hostility, will make up things about you, will yell and make unfounded accusations, I caught him in 2 lies he made up about me that he said other people said about me and when I talked with them, they were not true; I was threatened with a PIP but yet they could not tell me specific examples of points that would be in the PIP; the company is not progressive or forward thinking on new products but expect the sales people to make miracles happen with the same items. Egos were a huge issue at all levels and a lot of cliques - I felt like I was back in high school. I was left out of meetings that directly involved my business when all other sales were included and decisions were made behind my back on my business and sometimes I would accidentally find out about it and sometimes I would never be told and then would be treated as though I am not listening or on top of my business. If you want to feel respected, be an active participant in managing your business, receive the appropriate communication presented in a respectful manner to do your job better or more effectively DO NOT TO TO WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. The VP made it clear that you do not question or challenge (even if you have legitimate points) and what he says is what you do and he thinks he is right about everything. On top of it, my supervisor (who reports to the VP) sat behind closed doors, did not have time to meet with me to discuss the business, was out of the office all the time, did not challenge us to know details of our business, and don't ever tell him about any personal details because he will hold it over your head. I was told that based on my level, it is a very flexible atmosphere when I need to go take care of personal business but be prepared for a passive aggressive comment or attitude when you are gone for something. While the VP was yelling at me about things, my direct supervisor sat there like a limp noodle and never ever spoke up on any of the accusations being made by the VP to support me when he knew they were wrong. When I asked him later when he did not speak up or support me, he said he has learned it will not make it any better so he just lets the VP go on - HOW AWFUL IS THAT?? If these people were effective managers, they would communicate, ask questions and provide feedback instead of Yelling, making accusations and assumptions (and not apologize when there is written documentation to prove him wrong or without even getting the right facts), and not communicate. I left this job because I am not going to be treated with such blatant disrespect and I am better than how these people manage. Also, no new items or innovation in this fast paced retail environment is catching up to this company and so they push the blame for everything down to the sales team.

Advice to Management

You need to reassess the individuals on your management team. You need to establish a productive culture because what you have going on right now is called Workplace Harrassment through the bullying, threats, hostility. Employees want to do the right things but if your management does not spend time with the employee to communicate expectations, direction, things they would like to see done, etc., then the employee can't be an effective contributor. When I would ask questions, I was treated as though I was stupid. Employees are unhappy but feel "stuck" so they stay - I left because I will not be treated so awful by a Director and VP just because they can. I am better than that.

5. "Great benefits, Inconsistent management, underpaid"

I worked at Helen of Troy full-time

Pros

Health benefits, schedule (8-5), PTO, Holidays

Cons

Underpaid, terrible management, unreliable HR

Advice to Management

Be more sensitive and reasonable to employees

"Identity Crisis?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours and environment (can work from home if needed)
    Family friendly
    Depending on department, there is always opportunity to help offset workloads (exposure to new projects and parts of the business)
    Great brands under one company
    Company tends to support longevity in employment (lots of employees 10+ years)
    Lean organization
    Some areas of the organization excel at infusing innovation in their respective departments
    Great group of people, many friendly faces once you break the ice

Cons

Lean organization - depending on your department people are stretched thin and are overworked.
    Salary and benefits are not competitive making it difficult to hire talent
    Hiring process is too long.
    There is little to no company culture
    Lack of professional growth. Some people tend to get "stuck" in their roles and aren't offered the opportunity to learn or advance their education in their specific roles.
    While some departments excel at innovation; there is a huge opportunity for the senior management team to identify and recognize their staff weaknesses and cultivate and train those that management, leadership and interpersonal skills required to grow a team and advance in competitive areas.
    Teams are silo'd.
    There is no team building

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees are telling you.
    Consider taking a look at the entire organization as a whole and making adjustments so employees feel empowered to advance their careers - which helps advance the organization.
    Stop cutting benefits to satisfy the bottom line. You need these benefits to attract younger talent
    Walk around the office and feel the environment - talk to people directly and take their concerns and feedback seriously. They may not know how to fix it, but they will certainly tell you whats wrong if they felt it would better the organization. Happy employees makes a more successful organization.

"Millennials Beware"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, vacation time, affiliation with strong brands

Cons

Lack of culture, communication, collaboration, innovation and process. CEO and management preach about culture to make up for the lack of it. Disorganized management makes it impossible to get the job done with directions changing from day to day. Management is too set in their ways and not open to new processes. Almost no communication within the teams and across the business. Projects slide from one plate to the next with little to no communication or collaboration.

Advice to Management

Management needs to start investing in the younger talent that they are bringing on-board. They can't expect younger generations to move up the ladder and become leaders if they continue to focus on middle management.

8. "Great to start your career"

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly environment. Great hours. Good benefits. Great to get your chops and then move on.

Cons

Hard to move up the ladder. Not too many options available. Salary is very low to national average.

Advice to Management

If you plan to keep top notch employees offer them better career options, do not focus only on top management but also at the lower levels.

"Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Helen of Troy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some very nice people there.

Cons

Middle and senior management are still living like it's Kaz, small company thinking, not strategic. Benefits are poor. They took away vacation time from existing employees to be able to "adjust" offers to new employees from 2 wks to 3 wks. Most quality companies would have grandfathered existing employees vacation.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain quality employees, you have to provide them with advancement opportunities. Budget and pay for training to develop skills.

10. "P&G style being used now that Gerald Rubin was turned ways as CEO"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Promotions from within and room to grow with the company. Knowledge of more than just your job, you will learn- warehouse , customer service , marketing, along with forecasting and accounting and and product design you'll get a great education and also the billing department. It well rounded for a regional or territory or of course the director.

Learn the systems and take it upon yourself to take classes which I'm sure they'll pay for which include intermediate and advanced Excel, and PowerPoint , become an asset, become the person people need to go to because you know how to do it . you'll find that people will be coming to you for question promotion happen quickly

Fair to good cafeteria for the employees with reasonable prices

Heat work now separate, don't use your work phone for personal calls putting hair. They have full actor who your laptop all of your Internet activity and use Geo location

Cons

Absolutely ridiculous budgets, where not showing a percentage increase based off of your account, it's done sku level. For example you have a spreadsheet that probably 120 lines he is include all of the new items coming out. The budget the requires gustimates of planogram changing the web for any sort of confirmation. Not only is this a waste of time but The poor people in forecasting use this number with your make-believe, Best guess and actually order the products from China and your held to it!

Budgets are completely ignored as an example you could say that bed bath and beyond Will show a 3 percent increase based off of additional sku or higher pricing of pain. A planogram is a living and breathing potential constantly changing The matter of what is on the wall

Vice President and executive vice president have Donald Trump ego's. The show who lives in the Boston area after Mr. Ruben with work though never made himself or his family move to El Paso Texas.

Advice to Management

Micromanagement is horrific, sales rep group are in most cases a complete waste of money, selling beauty product never a reason to have 70-year-old man with you selling a Revlon straightener and hairdryer or shampoo