Helen of Troy Reviews | Glassdoor

Helen of Troy CEO Julien Mininberg
Julien Mininberg

"Staff Accountant"

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Helen of Troy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free products Happy Hours Free food Sample Sale

Cons

Lack of structure Inauthentic culture Inauthentic people High turnover Long hours - 12 hr days Absentee Management- barely any room to grow and move up

Advice to Management

Be more present and flexible Groom people instead of disposing of them Get rid of cult-like culture Tell people the truth and create realistic expectations

Helen of Troy2018-12-04

"Growth, progression, opportunity."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The company has gone (and is going) through a lot of positive changes over the last year since I joined. There is a lot of opportunity to add value and lead projects which also grow me professionally. The team is tight knit, intellectual, and fun! We genuinely enjoy spending time together in the office, at happy hours, and at company outings. Our sister brands (outside of OXO) seem to be just as fun as we are and we're...

Cons

With rapid growth comes some ambiguity at times and you need to be comfortable with that.

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate how much the employees look up to you! Your talent and expertise is highly respected. Every time you're able to give a little bit of that to the team it's hugely appreciated.

Helen of Troy2018-11-09

November 13, 2018HR Specialist

We appreciate your feedback on your experience. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

"Growing Company expanding its footprint"

I worked at Helen of Troy full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Growth opportunity as businesses are doing well

Cons

Tough competition and reliance on Chinese manufacturing could result in tougher sales environment.

Helen of Troy2018-11-27

January 8, 2019HR Specialist

Thank you for your review - we truly appreciate you sharing your experience.

"It's called OXO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time

Pros

First of all, I'd like to clarify because the listing is super confusing - I don't work for Helen of Troy, I work for OXO. Helen of Troy is OXO's parent company based in El Paso, and they can often be very corporate and out of touch (eg: this Glassdoor page). However, OXO is completely based in New York City, has between 100-150 employees, operates fairly independently at the day-to-day level, and has a great company...

Cons

It's a pretty flat organization so there's not always a clear upward path, and the leadership of OXO no longer seems to trust the individual product teams to make their own decisions, resulting in bottlenecks, redesigns, and wasted time.

Advice to Management

Listen. Larry, I've sat in meeting after meeting with you where you talk more than you listen - please, please respect the people who work for you enough that you can listen to their opinion and trust in their expertise, rather than requiring them to check in with you for your decision on every single thing.

Helen of Troy2018-10-17

"Helen of Troy has contributed to my career success."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant to the President in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Ron Anderskow is an awesome leader! Top Quality People that support each other. Power OF ONE! Mutual Respect throughout the organization. Beauty Team is awesome and I am proud to be part of a team that helps create Beauty for the world!

Cons

None except I live on the East side, long drive - but worth every mile!

Helen of Troy2018-10-26

November 1, 2018HR Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback and experience with us. We value your comments and the time you took to share with us!

"Buyer Beware"

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time

Pros

Many Divisions under one umbrella. In an ideal world, would be a company with excellent cross-divisional promotion opportunities.

Cons

Corporate culture not consistent across divisions. New culture has "been adopted" by executive management. There is a feeling of being forced-fed the culture.

Advice to Management

One size many not fit all across divisions. Culture changes cannot happen overnight.

Helen of Troy2018-11-26

November 27, 2018HR Specialist

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback with us. We truly value transparency and honesty with our current and former employees - through this, we can improve and continue to make Helen of Troy a great place to work!

"Best Employer in my Career Journey"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

There is a real dedication to improve the business culture. It's apparent that leaders don't just want the business to succeed, but for the employees to succeed as well.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of your employees, and they will take care of you and your business.

Helen of Troy2018-10-16

November 1, 2018HR Specialist

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Happy to work with all the teams and I liked all the company processes and policies. I liked company investing on employees with various programs like Power of One. We are going to have onsite Gym. I liked hotfit health program.

Cons

I am not seeing any cons.

Helen of Troy2018-10-15

November 1, 2018HR Specialist

Glad to hear that you're happy here! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

9. "Consumer Services"

Current Employee - Consumer Service Representative in Chambersburg, PA

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Company stands behind it's products and employees -Management

Cons

East Coast location, West Coast hours

Helen of Troy2018-10-16

"Love this company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Helen of Troy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at my fair share of companies but Helen of Troy is a wonderful balance of nice fun to work with people that are also passionate about their jobs. For those of us that have worked in companies with toxic people or people with bad intent, you know it can create a terrible working environment - even if the company is doing well the people are not. Similarly, if you're a in company where people just don't really...

Cons

The company is still learning how to go from good to great. If you want to come into a company where everything is already perfect this is not that company. If you get excited about fixing things, seeing the impact of your results and the results of those around you then this is a great place.

Advice to Management

Share talent across divisions more.

Helen of Troy2018-10-12

November 1, 2018HR Specialist

Really thrilled to hear of your great experience! Thank you for sharing!

Found 146 reviews