Helix Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Helix Education PRESIDENT & CEO MATTHEW SCHNITTMAN
MATTHEW SCHNITTMAN

Pros
Cons
  • The benefits are not great and it feels like upper management chose the cheapest option to save the company money, which doesn't help their employees (in 7 reviews)

• Current clients are dissatisfied of disruptions in leadership changes in marketing, the executive team, and local personnel turnover (in 3 reviews)

1. "Helix prides itself on the type of employees they hire."

Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Helix Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helix is a great place to work. I haven't been here very long but I love everything about it. The best thing about Helix is the people you work with. Everyone that is brought into the company knows what they are doing. There is a sense of family that I haven't had anywhere else. Collaboration is huge here, it also allows everyone to have a clear view of what needs to be done. They expect a lot from you but the atmosphere and people here make it easy for you to keep focused and finish your tasks. I would recommend Helix to anyone.

Cons

Honestly I haven't ran into any cons.

2. "Great People + Lots of Potential for Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Helix Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Because this company has experienced so many changes (acquisitions, shift in business model, etc.), the company has lots of openness to new ideas and plenty of opportunity to shine.
    -There are frequent opportunities for growth for those who demonstrate their value.
    -Recent leadership changes
    -Work-life balance is good.
    -The unlimited PTO policy is really great.
    -The company has a focus on hiring smart, highly capable employees, so you get the opportunity to work with some amazing people!

Cons

-This company continues to evolve and improve. If you're not comfortable with change, this may not be the company for you.

Advice to Management

I see a lot more communication happening from top management even since the time I started. I'd like to see this trend continue. Also, although individual managers are great at employee recognition, a company-wide recognition program would be wonderful.

Apr 13, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for the review. The key values that are at the very center of all we do loudly speaks through what you said in regards to the strategic changes that have taken place; “We are BOLD – we’re ... More

"Your job isn't safe and morale is awful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylorsville, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylorsville, UT

I worked at Helix Education (More than a year)

Pros

There are many hard working employees at this company. This company started off with an amazing idea and great leaders, but unfortunately all of those things have since changed. There are a few managers who truly care about their employees, but unfortunately those are the ones that usually leave.

Cons

This is a very unstable and low morale work environment. Layoffs happen almost quarterly, anywhere from a few one offs (most without a written warning beforehand) to multiple company layoffs and office closures. This company does not seem to be getting better and I do not see them lasting more than a few more years, so much in fact that two main top executives quit in a 2 month time period. They even hired a VP who ruled by fear, which most people did not like and he told everyone if you didn't like it, leave! Not a great way to motivate employees. The benefits are not great and it feels like upper management chose the cheapest option to save the company money, which doesn't help their employees. Most management does not listen to their employees and and there is far too much favoritism. As much as I would love to believe that my manager had my back, I was always wondering if my job would be next or if another employee would throw me or others under the bus. Despite all of that, my manager never gave me any reassurance and there was never any honesty either from direct managers or higher ups on what was going on and we were always left in the dark. If we tried to discuss it, we would either get in trouble or told more lies, which everyone could see right through. It seemed the company was always promising us that the next year we would be making money so it wouldn't be such a difficult work environment, but after years of hearing this, it kept getting worse. Everyone worked really hard without any rewards, other than an occasional lunch bought for us and left in a break room trying to buy "our love" which didn't work. Yet the executive committee seemed to spend money all the time. Some of the higher management would live out of a hotels or travel all over the country on the company's dime. Yet, people who made hardly anything and needed a job got cut so executives can still have their perks. If employees left on their own it was from being unhappy, unheard, or treated poorly. Hiring and layoffs were like a yoyo. In the time I was there I saw so much turnover, when things weren't going great, they would lay off a large amount of people, then it would start to get good again and hire new people and then do it all again.

Advice to Management

Stop having making money be your only goal. If you treat your employees and clients well, then they will do the work needed to make you money. Listen to your employees!

Feb 10, 2017

Thank you for recognizing our amazing and hard-working employees. We absolutely agree. We’ve worked hard to manage and communicate changes as they have been necessary in order to align teams with new ... More

5. "Good company"

Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance

Cons

Not always sure what the big picture is

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Helix Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exempt employees are given "unlimited" PTO (careful, it's tracked by management).

Cons

Management doesn't live the company values. They know employee morale is low, but don't have the resources (or they just don't care) to make any changes. CEO promises not to do mass lay offs, but they just recently laid off 100+ employees; some with no warning. Employee workloads are too high. Direct supervisors/managers often don't understand how to do their subordinates work and therefore cannot train effectively. Training materials are nonexistent so plan on training yourself. Company is hugely disorganized and tends to react to things rather than being proactive. Work environment is largely hostile and managers lead by inflicting fear.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to begin. I have never worked somewhere so hostile and uncaring towards the employees. Good luck.

Oct 20, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for sharing your feedback. In order to lead the industry in solving higher education’s enrollment growth challenges in an effective and efficient way, we strategically aligned ourselves ... More

"Mediochre"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Helix Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office location downtown is great, right off of Main street. The people, for the most part, were pros at their jobs and pulled their own weight.

Cons

Upper management seemed like an "Old Boys Club" stuck in their ways, not ever innovating or interested in bettering departments or the company in general. They seemed to only care about getting through the day without having to do much of anything to benefit the employees. Never received a raise in 3 years of employment.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with more respect and care to help them grow and succeed in their positions.

Aug 5, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We agree that our people are absolute pros, and building incredible things. In fact, we are incredibly excited about the ways each of our departments and managers ... More

"Enrollment Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crown Point, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crown Point, IN

I have been working at Helix Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional atmosphere, decent benefits, all major holidays off

Cons

Disconnect between enrollment staff and Helix corporate leadership. Helix leadership appears to be more focused on the technology they are rolling out and less focused on enrollment teams in terms of successes and challenges.

Advice to Management

Please don't take enrollment staff for granted and spend more time focusing on the various contracts when conducting company / town hall meetings. Focus on specific enrollment/university teams and celebrate their successes.

9. "Good company with a great team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Helix Education (More than 10 years)

Pros

We have a fantastic team at Helix who are truly dedicated to our clients and our co-workers. It is a great workplace where everyone is bought in and working hard to move our company forward. We also have strong leadership that provides direction and support for employees to do our best. We have direct access to all leadership and they often encourage us to talk directly with them about whatever we are experiencing. I do also think that the culture is quite unique. We are like a big family and we have a lot of fun together. We work incredibly hard, but we usually have a lot of fun doing it. Helix has also worked hard to bring back as many benefits as possible for each employee. Although the company has been through a lot, they have been mindful of the employees and worked to give us bonuses, a good vacation policy, 401k matching, insurance benefits, and other cool things like fresh fruit, candy, unlimited coffee/tea/hot chocolate, and appreciation lunches. They also have heavily invested in cultural training for all employees. Not only does this show the company's commitment to us as individuals, but also to our work experience overall.

Cons

We have a very fast pace at Helix that is definitely not suitable for everyone. We also have experienced a significant amount of change - most of which is actually a long-term positive for us. Change can be difficult, but if you are willing to take a step back and determine what you would do if it was your money being invested, I think most people would make the same decisions. Every company has issues and we are not immune - but to me, the issues here are generally small compared to many other companies I have experienced. Finally, if you are not a hard worker who takes pride in your work product, we are not the company for you. We don't have the time or bandwidth to carry people along with us - because we've got to get things done.

Advice to Management

Continue with the transparent and authentic communication. Keep employees on the top of the priority list. We are the largest asset, so your investment in us will always pay off.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

They are a growing company with a caring attitude for their employees

Cons

They are somewhat dealing with growing pains and are disconnected from employees outside of salt lake

Aug 1, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for the review. We definitely care about our employees and their experiences at Helix. While we are in multiple states, we have focused on ways to improve connections with our employees ... More

"Missed Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Helix Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and quality of work family balance. Passionate field personnel that want to win. Skilled supporting departments. Corporate locations are nice.

Cons

Mission of company is a rich one but it's uncertain if Helix can support the mission or retain coworkers from a financial perspective. Lost their largest client who exited quietly in August. No farewell or appreciation announcement company wide from Helix for the 100 employees who lost their jobs. They haven't signed a new client in 2 years although there is news of one coming on board FINALLY. Current clients are dissatisfied of disruptions in leadership changes in marketing, the executive team, and local personnel turnover. Company has high rates of turn over for the industry. Client facing staff struggles to satisfy contractual requirements given Helix's lost direction, their lack of communication at the VP/GM level, their inability to resource staff with efficient technology and quality leads. Most tenured staff from acquisitions are gone. There isn't any enrollment expertise at senior levels.

Advice to Management

Stop. Take a minute and take an assessment of the needs of your people and your clients. If you can return to being a people business versus an unproven technology company you will start to gain loyalty and some great ideas from those who are pulling the weight. Maybe if people felt appreciated they wouldn't be looking to leave Helix. Although the mission is a rich one its to wide. We are an OPM, marketing firm, and tech company with no results or data to back it up!

Sep 6, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding our focus and our mission. We agree that the passion and talent of our employees is absolutely incredible. And while we understand that change is often ... More