Helix Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Gary Shekhter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very fast paced organization with lots of autonomy and not a ton of red tape (in 7 reviews)

• Everything great company to work for hope to join the next project that opens up made good friends, have work in many states (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Their is a lot of the buddy system in the Led Vegas office (in 2 reviews)

1. "ET ELECTRICIAN"

Current Employee - ET Electrician in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - ET Electrician in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Helix Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I stay busy with plenty of work. well known by numerous foremans. They trust my work and ability to get things done right.

Cons

My pay rate could be better with them knowing the type of worker i am.

Advice to Management

Take care of your best employees like they take care of you.

2. "Sink or Swim at Helix Electric"

Current Employee - Projeckt Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Projeckt Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Helix Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of Work, Always Busy, Do More with Less, You get to go home frazzled everyday unless you just dont care.

Cons

NO Training is provided, rather it is understood that you will learn by making mistakes and others will just sit back and watch you fail. "The Helix Way" is their process by which they manage projects, is tedious and paperwork heavy. This office is run extremely lean. PMs in Svc Dept are expected to run both project work and service work. PMs in special projects or major proj., have PEs and PAs to assist but training for their process is non-existent. Once you learn the process, you just get buried with work. Quality of work can suffer due to being overloaded.

Advice to Management

Train your People! Get them better support and more help!!! Failure to perform reviews or give raises for staff is unacceptable. How do you expect to retain people?

3. "Poorly run company"

I worked at Helix Electric full-time

Pros

Good pay and that's about it they don't care about their employees and very poor leaders.

Cons

Bad leaders, not the safest company, sexist, and bad problem solving skills.

Advice to Management

Get new management

4. "Journeyman electrician"

Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Helix Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I can only provide pros from the past when helix took pride in there company an the people who helped build it..they took care of there employees paid all expenses automatically for out of town work including travel had great picnics an holiday events had great incentives an bonus...

Cons

Bern there 20 odd years never promoted, never given opportunity was always kept working hard labor because I excelled in it. People are taken advantage who have et certificates an manipulated to work out of town not given prevailing wage jobs cause the told us not allowed cause didn't have licences.

Advice to Management

Best thing you can do is get rid of dru wells for someone hired to deal with employees an there issues you need someone with more intelligence ...when asked why am not getting something promised to me he response was "prove it" nothing more nothing less just like a juvenile would handle it

5. "You're a number"

Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Helix Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have good benefits for cheap. They provide training to employees and all necessary PPE on the job site. That's about it.

Cons

Give you the run around about work. If you're not part of the "good ol'boy" network they don't keep you working unless they are really busy no matter how good of an electrician you are.

Advice to Management

Pay people well that perform good work not because you've known them forever.

6. "Lack of Management"

I worked at Helix Electric full-time

Pros

Co workers were a joy to work with.

Cons

Management does not know how to manage

Advice to Management

Hire managers that know how to do their job and know how to manage.

7. "Journeyman"

Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Helix Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of work in different areas. Now have paid time off. Great place to learn and grown. Very big on safety, safe place to work

Cons

Too much politics when it comes to pay

Advice to Management

Take better care of the guys that have been there instead of the guys barley coming in

8. "Best opportunity for me!"

I have been working at Helix Electric full-time

Pros

I have been with Helix 5 years now and the environment and culture is perfect for me. I'm used to working hard to obtain what I want so the Helix atmosphere is conducive to me and my way of thinking. Helix's core values are aligned with my philosophy to be better everyday and not be competing with others, but rather with myself. You hear almost daily at Helix how the bar is set high, but for someone like me, that's how I've always lived life. I don't expect others to tell me where the bar is set so it's a good fit for me. That said, it's not an environment for everyone so if you want banker hours and have no drive to be better every day you won't like it. In the interview process everyone you will meet will tell you that it's a fast paced environment and describe the culture in detail so pay close attention, this is no lie. I appreciate the transparency from the recruiter and the manager that interviewed me. Helix is an ideal fit for me and I plan to retire from here in 20 years. The longevity you see in this organization doesn't compare to other contractors. At last year's Christmas party, I think 8 people got their 30 year service award and 16 people companywide reached 25 year anniversaries among a ton others that had 20 years. That's impressive! Opportunity is clearly given to those that work hard and earn it. The benefits are better than most construction companies.

Cons

The downside is that it's a big organization so things move a littler slower than at a mom & dad electrical shop. Personally, I don't find that as a negative, but impatient people find this difficult. .

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work engaging everyone at all levels.

"Great people lots of work was on the solar project so a lot of assembly line type of work"

Former Employee - Electrical Labor in Mountain Home, ID
    Former Employee - Electrical Labor in Mountain Home, ID

I worked at Helix Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of overtime great people good benefits get move around a lot go to places

Cons

Working in assembly line type work it's pretty homogeneous and working out in harsh weather conditions

Advice to Management

Listen to the advice of the safety manager more

10. "Good Place to Work"

I have been working at Helix Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are that there is an appropriate amount of work given the amount of manpower. Management does a good job taking on the right amount of projects to stay busy, but not be too overwhelmed.

Cons

The downside is that project deadlines can dictate that many extra hours need to be worked at times without much in the way of compensation for that time.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that management listen to the ideas of the employees and put them into place. I would also ask that considerations be made for individuals to work on personal growth within the company.