KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Heller Consulting Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2022

Found 16 of over 16 reviews

4.1
Heller Consulting Management Keith Heller & Jeffrey Appell (no image)
Keith Heller & Jeffrey Appell

1. 5.0

Truly a team

Feb 8, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Heller Consulting is by far and away the best place I've been employed. They were incredibly supportive throughout COVID-19 and have been flexible and accommodating for parents. Everyone comes from a nonprofit background, so we all share a collective passion for the organizations we work with every day.

Cons

As with any consulting firm, there are ebbs and flows in work with some times being more busy. But overall, the work is steady and the work/life balance is kept in check by management.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Misguided and Anxious Work Environment

Jul 18, 2022 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work on seemingly flexible hours. An amazing Director of Services and previous VP who is no longer there.

Cons

Poor management that doesn't understand their direct report's wheelhouse. - Demeaning, condescending staff personalities. - Gaslighting when you're asked to execute clearly communicated weaknesses. - Disregard of personal time-off. - Minimal support to execute work. - No opportunity to do the work that you shine in. - Unauthentic personalities. - Management and peers do just enough to get a "pass" on their performance. - You're thrown into doing work you clearly weren't hired for and gaslighted Honestly the list goes on, but this is all that I can think of at the present moment. I had some of my worst panic attacks here.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Transparent and growth driven culture

Sep 24, 2020 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

encourages continuous learning and very supporting colleagues! Company is also very transparent.

Cons

consulting work can be challenging

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Encouraging Coworkers

Aug 13, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've never worked for such an encouraging company. Throughout my time working here, I've been given the opportunity to take on new roles and responsibilities. But I have never taken something on without support, whether that's been extra classes to learn a new skill, a mentor within the company, or just general encouragement to try something (and being told it's ok to fail). Management is positive and that trickles down. Overall, it's an excellent company culture. Other big plus is flexibility of schedule and location. Almost everyone works from home and is encouraged to have a good work/life balance.

Cons

Working within the overall nonprofit industry can mean there are ebbs and flows with projects, so consultants will go through occasional times of work being busy or slow. Not necessarily a con, but something to keep in mind - working from home means you are responsible for managing your time and you also don't have an office full of coworkers. It works for me, but it's not for everyone.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Amazing People, Great Work

Apr 15, 2014 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a company that cares deeply about the people who work there and challenges them to grow not only in their particular job skills, but as people. Cultivating respect and self-awareness are required and paying attention to how you work with others leads to exceptional teamwork for clients. I worked at Heller for nine years and had the opportunity to learn just about every aspect of running a small consulting business. My ideas and concerns were always listened to, even if they weren't always acted on. I've never worked at a place with such a well-cultivated sense of teamwork.

Cons

The industry changes quickly and the business changes with it. Heller is very good at evaluating its options, but if you're someone who is uncomfortable with changing roles and sometimes quickly evolving structures, it can be tough.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

I love my job!

Oct 12, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are high expectations at our firm in terms of how many hours we are to bill and how much work we need to contribute to each project. However, the pay-off is a super flexible work-schedule, being able to own your work and contribute to your job in ways that are authentic to you as a working professional. The people are great and all have these distinctive qualities; motivated; eager; creative; authentic; hard-working; flexible, diligent; personal; transparent and unique! I have great support from my managers and my Executive team, even in trying and challenging times.

Cons

The work load can be very challenging and it tends to fluctuate during the year. This is all dependent on our project load and Non-profits/Fundraising seasons.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great place to work.

Apr 4, 2010 - Client Representative in Berkeley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The owner, Keith Heller is probably the best manager I ever worked for. His time management skills are incredible. He focuses on what is important and is open to everyone learning and growing. He takes care of himself and his family and encourages you to do the same. There is continuous communication, feedback and improvement in processes. Continuous creativity in expanding business opportunities and you are doing it all to help non profits improve their fundraising. Wish I still worked there.

Cons

Can't think of any. I left for personal reasons. I do know that if you are a consultant it does require extensive travel which may be difficult for many people.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A fun company that sincerely cares about its employees and its clients.

Nov 3, 2014 - Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Heller cares about its employees. Consultants are encouraged to pursue professional development opportunities and given resources to do so. This is a place where you can learn a lot of technical and other skills. This is a place will you will get to use your brain and work out interesting and complex problems on a daily basis. The office culture is wonderful. Heller employs a group of really smart, fun, and hard-working people. You will love your coworkers! You will also get to work with some amazing organizations and help further the great work that they do.

Cons

Working on numerous projects in tandem can lead to an imbalanced workload. Sometimes you are insanely busy and other times you have a lot less to do.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great boutique firm. Fantastic colleagues and nonprofit clients.

Dec 16, 2013 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at Heller for a few years. The work is very challenging, but can be extremely rewarding. Almost cliche to say, but my colleagues are the best part of coming to work each day. A close second is the opportunity to work with amazing nonprofit organizations across North America.

Cons

Work can be very challenging. Project-based work is typically very deadline-driven. There are certainly lower-impact jobs out there. This is a job you have to love to do well.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company dedicated to employee growth

Jul 31, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

dedication to employee growth & professional development wonderful team of employees that support and care for each other the company cares about our clients and adding value to the nonprofit sector smart, hard working, creative, and ambitious co-workers

Cons

it's a crowded space and sometimes hard to see the unique value that Heller offers

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 Reviews