Hello Design Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "designer"

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Good designers and strategy co-workers. Senior management is pretty chill. Devs are quiet. Good range of clients.

Cons

Projects happen fast. Get pulled onto lots of different things.

Advice to Management

Allow more time to focus on projects.

2. "good mix of people"

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

THere's a good mix of people with different backgrounds and interests. Nice lunch group :) Work environment overall is cool and chill. Not many egos.

Cons

Not many so far. Parking sometimes can be tough.

"Nice Folks"

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

- Really nice co-workers
    - Good environment (music, dogs, food/drinks), chill vibe
    - Interesting clients all big names, great for portfolio
    - Clear direction and task assignment
    - Good work/life balance

Cons

- Onboarding was fast
    - Sometimes a little quiet
    - Longer hours once in a while (if on deadline)

Advice to Management

- Would be good to have more activities to work with other team members
    - More company events
    - Even more dogs :)

"Toxic, Manipulative work culture and CEO"

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Truly there are none aside from being able to meet some amazing co-workers (not management they are truly the worst) who work way to hard for an employer that does not care for their well-being at all.

Cons

First of all, many of the five star reviews are fake and were written by management.
    Very telling about how manipulative the CEO and partners are, and how they would rather cover up their issues with a band-aid rather then truly address the problems they cause within their own company.

CEO
    - The epitome of toxic masculinity
    - micro-manages to the point that employees cannot do their jobs
    - re-uses ideas from previous pitches on newer clients and tries to convince himself that and new hires that their agency is "innovative"
    - has made people cry
    - Condescending and manipulative (will talk over you, yell, etc.)
    - Constantly watching and hovering.
    - Poor time management. Constantly waiting for him to show up to meetings. Making last minute changes to the projects because he wasn't paying attention.
    - Would attempt to start drama between employees by pulling each aside and telling them different things about the same projects. Having them work against each other as opposed to collaborating.

I think this has been one of the most anxiety inducing work environments I've ever been in. The office is run by fear of being fired and yelled at. Other partners will not stand up to the CEO and will put blame on others to protect themselves.

Advice to Management

Please learn to appreciate your employees. Thank them but also be aware that a work life balance is important and the idea that "hard work" = long hours, not sleeping, and anxiety is toxic.

"I have never been so miserable working for a company in my entire life"

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Dogs and their owners.

Cons

- Work for Hello if you enjoy burnouts!
    - There is ZERO onboarding so everyone is constantly making things up as they go.
    - Highest turnover rate I've ever witnessed in my career.

The leadership team loves to throw tantrums and play the blame game to protect themselves when things go wrong. AND they'll claim your hard work as their own. You'll NEVER get the credit for anything. WAY TO BOOST EMPLOYEE MORALE.

PLEASE stop it with the fake "positive" reviews.

Lastly, I've had better coffee at car dealerships.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They won't listen.

"Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Account Director
    Former Employee - Account Director

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

If you are a go-getter, motivated, and want experience leading/delivering a wide variety of project types then Hello Is for you. Lot of opportunity for personal and professional growth.

Leadership team composed of super smart, strategic thinkers who have a deep understanding of brands, consumer behavior, culture, and design.

Build your personal rep with the solid roster of brands Hello attracts.

Cons

Honestly, the biggest con I had during my time at Hello were some of the more toxic folks that managed to slip into the agency…fortunately they soon left….Hello has standards (work hard and deliver smart work!) which from what I saw weeded out those folks quickly.

"So many RED FLAGS!"

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Employees were nice, great snacks, fun work outings

Cons

ZERO on-boarding, everyone is new (turn around is a revolving door), higher ups are swamped so no time for meetings or one-on-ones, working 12-18 hour days and no overtime (they just expect you to always stay late), CEO is a micro-manager (needs everyone to agree with his ideas and needs to change everything last minute)

Advice to Management

Take time to on-board all your new employees. Take time to meet with your team and go over projects. Communicate better with employees. Find a better strategy for approval methods. And when you let someone go a simple email is better than a speech about everything they did wrong (be respectable to their privacy).

"The most toxic work environment I've ever experienced"

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Quick interview and hiring process

Cons

Abusive and clueless upper management with the worst case of mansplaining I've ever experienced. Complete lack of clear communication, project expectations, and creative direction. Projects are haphazard and lack planning/process. Absolutely no respect for employees and co-workers. Instead of an atmosphere of support and understanding, there is a pervasive atmosphere of fear and distrust. No cohesion, organization, mentorship nor room for growth....you spend most of your time just trying to stay alive.

"One of the best places I've worked for in my career"

I worked at Hello Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great studio culture with nice people that are fun to be around. People smile and are actually friendly. Good mix of clients and depending on what you work on you get a lot of freedom to pitch ideas and bring them to life. Never had an idea shot down. Management gives good guidance (usually need to ask) and I always walked away feeling better about the work. Very high bar for performance. No slackers.

Cons

There was a short period of some toxic energy amongst some of the staff but I'm pretty sure those folks are gone (or got the boot).

Depending on who your manager is you may need to be more proactive in keeping one-on-ones/checkins.

"Talented Coworkers, Horrible Management."

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

- Smart, talented, underpaid coworkers who are treated badly just like you are
    - Cute dogs

Cons

- Turnaround is the worst I've ever seen, almost the entire team has changed out in the last couple years
    - No onboarding/orientation/training whatsoever
    - You're expected to do multiple people's jobs while you're getting underpaid for your own
    - Yes, they do post fake Glassdoor reviews to counteract the real ones (there's probably going to be three 5-star ones after this)
    - Upper management is absolutely clueless, especially to anything that's happening in the studio and constantly makes excuses to cover their own mistakes
    - Upper management constantly underbids projects, overpromises to client, and then turns on the team when we can't deliver on a near impossible schedule
    - Managing partners will regurgitate whatever the Creative Director/CEO says
    - Also why does one person have a title that includes Creative Director & CEO when he can't even do the job of a simple intern?
    - All in all, if you work here, you'll be working for a group of rich kids who met in college, never worked at a design agency, and for some reason thought they could run one.

Advice to Management

Nothing. Your employees (current and former) have told you over and over and over again but all of you seem to put your hands over your ears and hum your own brainless mantra until the entire team switches out again and nobody's the wiser.