Hello Design Reviews

16 Comments

Advertising

115.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/advertising/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Hello Design~545842
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Coworkers are cool; you bond together in misery and celebrate as people move on to new jobs eventually.(in 5 reviews)
  • "The output of creative and unique work was at the highest level and I learned a lot working with various creative team members while maintaining tight timelines.(in 4 reviews)
  • "The creative was consistently great and I learned a lot about user experience and design in general.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Good work/life balance (never worked in the weekends or late nights in 3 year at the company)(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Hello Changed My Life!

Feb 11, 2022 - Website Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at Hello Design for 18 months and I am beyond grateful and thankful that I got to work for one of the top design agencies in Los Angeles. They brought me over from South Africa and helped me relocate to Los Angeles where they were based. I would not be the designer I was today and I would never have grown as much as I have if it hadn't been for my experience at Hello Design. They boosted my portfolio and over all confidence as a designer. The team was fun, we did fun activities outside of work like dinners and ski trips as a company. The culture was always great and I would highly recommend them to other designers who are looking to change their life. I am just so thankful that I got to work at Hello Design and for the absolute amazing experience they have given me as a designer and as a person. Amazing Clients, Amazing Work, just Award Winning stuff!

Cons

No cons really, only one is to maybe consider creating more of an outside space where colleges could socialize after work and during lunch breaks. It was unfortunate that COVID took away from this experience in 2020 when I was at Hello.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0

Avoid at all costs

Feb 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Medical and dental plans are competitive.

Cons

Please take my advice and look elsewhere. This is not a normal, functional, positive or healthy work environment. There are too many opportunities out there with agencies that recognize the shift in work/life balance to settle for this one. You will be happier elsewhere. No matter where you are in your career, just starting out or 10 years in, there is a better option out there.

4 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0

You are worth more!

Jan 27, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pro - You'll develop really strong relationships with your team due to the sheer fact that you'll find solace in commiserating over your shared traumas. I know you might be desperate in your search for work, but PLEASE, value your time, mental health, family, relationships, and self worth over whatever job you're about to apply to at this company. LOVE YOURSELF, LOOK FOR SOMEWHERE/SOMETHING ELSE. Please believe that the "positive" reviews are written by upper management.

Cons

CEO is abusive and narcissistic. Has never offered anything constructive and prefers to lead by intimidation, humiliation, and fear. Upper management is made up of spineless cowards who have an inability to offer anything else to the company other than stroking the CEOs fragile ego. COO - don't really know what this person does other than sweep all the dirt under the carpet...

9 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0

Love My Team

May 19, 2021 - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working remotely for this company during COVID lockdown has been good. We are on tools like Slack and Asana and the team I work with is organized and efficient. The company trusts teams to get the work done, but we still meet regularly to collaborate. Good work/life balance, no overtime or weekends. We do a lot of team bonding and getting to know you activities too. I'm excited to get back in person, to hang out and meet people more.

Cons

There is always a lot going on because we work on all kinds of projects. This isn't a bad thing, but you have to have to be able to pivot from different kinds of work, not just one thing. If something isn’t efficient you can work with your team to solve it and make it run smoother.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Learning a lot

May 10, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I like being part of a team here—people work together collaboratively, are smart, and care about each other and the creative output. I was drawn to Hello’s values, the great clients and projects, and I have found all to be true here. It’s a creatively stimulating environment with opportunities to grow in your expertise and get exposure to learn new things.

Cons

Fake negative reviews on Glassdoor. My former employer had this problem on Glassdoor, and those bad reviews did not reflect the company. So I know to take these with a grain of salt. In my time here I have not personally encountered negativity like what these Glassdoor reviews say at all.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee

embarrassingly bad leadership and work environment

May 13, 2021 - Employee At Hello Design in Culver City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Free water -Coworkers are cool; you bond together in misery and celebrate as people move on to new jobs eventually.

Cons

-Utter lack of regard for your time and personal life. Expect to work nights/weekends. -Pay is below industry avg. Really stingy w/ PTO. -You will be left alone if you're valued (i.e. talented designer or developer). Everyone else, good luck. -Grown men and women literally cry here after being berated and belittled by the CEO and management. And for what? A website or an email? bahaha

12 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A Rewarding Experience

Mar 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Having worked at Hello for several years, reading some of the negative reviews here is interesting. It seems many are from people with personal gripes with the company. I’ve had a rewarding and positive experience, so I wanted to share some insights on what I’ve enjoyed the most at Hello: - High quality people who you can learn from and enjoy collaborating with. I consider myself fortunate to have met and worked with many of the people here, and still keep in touch with many. - Big impactful brands and cool projects. There are projects I’m really proud both of working on and putting on my resume. - Control and leadership opportunity. For me, this was a benefit because I tend to be hands-on and proactive. I was able to shape my career in terms of my role and the projects I worked on.

Cons

Leadership can sometimes be busy and preoccupied with overseeing work and new business. However this can be expected at any company- and if you take time to seek advice, they do find the time to provide it.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

Talented Team and Cool Projects

Feb 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

As mentioned in most of these reviews, there are smart and talented people and I enjoy working with all of them. I am proud of the work I’ve done here for some pretty cool brands. One of the things I enjoy the most is working on different projects for all kinds of clients so there are always new challenges and opportunities.

Cons

I think people are smart enough to see for themselves that a lot of these super negative comments are just not true and are more attacks from someone disgruntled. No place is perfect but I can say Hello is always trying to get better. They do listen to feedback and I’ve seen a lot of positive change personally. Like everything else in life, if it’s too positive or too negative, it’s probably neither extreme. Just talk to different people who work here during the interview process (which is what I did) and I can say after being here for a while a lot of it was unfounded.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0

Great Place for Stockholm Syndrome

Mar 17, 2021 - Creative in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's fun to compare the real reviews from the fake ones. The reason Hello has notable work is not because of the CEO or higher-up leaders, but because of the interns and entry level employees who though of everything and did all the work.

Cons

Funny How these 4 or 5 star reviews dismiss the verbal abuse from CEO. "I think people are smart enough to see for themselves that a lot of these super negative comments are just not true" should be a red flag in itself and is gaslighting. Anyone who labels people as "disgruntled" either benefit from a system that takes advantage of employees or have low self-esteem, they would rather preserve a destructive office environment That all stems from CEO. Shame on the COO for enabling such disorganization, toxic energy, and lack of guidance for entry-level employees. The rest of the leadership are not necessarily bad in nature, but are bad for not sticking up for employees when CEO because they are complacent and don't bother to change the work culture.

12 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0

Fake reviews, Fake creative, Fake CEO

Feb 8, 2021 - Creative
    Business Outlook

Pros

- a good foot in the door and a job to cover the basics of living life - you will meet great people and bond with them over the miserable life and job you have in this company

Cons

- CEO creates a toxic environment for employees including management. Very top-bottom and does not respect or appreciate anyone else's time but himself. - Clearly takes on project for cheap to appease clients and underpays all the employees. Churn is real here. - When a review starts with "A REAL REVIEW of"... let's be real, you know its fake. - Just run the other way because its a waste of time

13 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 72 Reviews

Hello Design Reviews FAQs

Hello Design has an overall rating of 3.0 out of 5, based on over 78 reviews left anonymously by employees. 50% of employees would recommend working at Hello Design to a friend and 50% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Hello Design employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Hello Design. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

50% of Hello Design employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Hello Design 2.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.9 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Hello Design to be workplace, career development, coworkers and the cons to be benefits, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Hello Design Job Seekers