Hello Design Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "One of the best places I've worked for in my career"

I worked at Hello Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great studio culture with nice people that are fun to be around. People smile and are actually friendly. Good mix of clients and depending on what you work on you get a lot of freedom to pitch ideas and bring them to life. Never had an idea shot down. Management gives good guidance (usually need to ask) and I always walked away feeling better about the work. Very high bar for performance. No slackers.

Cons

There was a short period of some toxic energy amongst some of the staff but I'm pretty sure those folks are gone (or got the boot).

Depending on who your manager is you may need to be more proactive in keeping one-on-ones/checkins.

2. "Designer"

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

I've had a really positive experience at Hello.

Some good clients.

The people that work here are pretty great.

Nice office nice furniture.

Some intense moments with workflow, but not bad overall.

Cons

It's like any other agency where client demands shape the ebb and flow of work.

Advice to Management

Try to build lower levels of leadership.

"A Wild Ride!"

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

I work with a solid team: people are talented, hardworking, and friendly. It is a dog friendly environment and they make you feel very special on your birthday. I get to work with a good variety of clients, most of which are big name companies.

Cons

It's a small studio. A lot of us juggle multiple projects on any given day, and that can be stressful. Resourcing and scheduling are at times challenging. Over the years, people come and go for different reasons, and sometimes the turnovers can be demoralizing and saddening to the team especially since we rely on each other so much.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in more independent, self-sufficient teams. The team thrive with clear structure, process, and expectations. Trust the team and let them grow.

4. "Not perfect, but improving"

I have been working at Hello Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Coworkers are all wonderful people. It's easy to work with other designers and learn from each other in this environment
    - Dog friendly
    - Waffle Wednesdays (be sure to thank the person who makes them)
    - Studio picks up interesting client work - always a good variety of projects going on
    - Relatively good hours for designers at an agency

Cons

- High turnover rate - it hurts when people you love working with leave
    - Some client teams are more organized than others
    - We don't have an HR department
    - Scheduling is sometimes messy because some people completely ignore resourcing calendars

Advice to Management

- Those of us who have been here for a while miss having quarterly team-building events!
    - Foster more independent teams. The employees who currently work on teams that run on their own tend to be happier and more successful in their day-to-day work

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Hello Design full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Hard Working individuals
    -Plenty of projects to work on
    -Great company atmosphere
    -WAFFLE WEDNESDAYS!!!!

Cons

-Parking situations are a bit difficult sometimes

"RED FLAG RED FLAG"

I have been working at Hello Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Waffle Wednesdays, but better get there fast because they don't even make enough for everyone in the studio to get a piece. This shows how cheap these people are. Its flour... make enough for everyone
    - dog friendly
    - free parking. Not sure why these fake reviews or begged reviews are posting about parking situation because it is free and it is not that hard to find (we live in LA, if it has a parking lot, its a pro)
    - Free snacks and drinks

Cons

- No perks, bonus, raises, or appreciation - you won't even be given a product that you have worked on because "they won't have enough" or "we need it for client."
    - No culture
    - CEO - not sure why anyone would put this in the "pro" section because him and his powerless management are cancer to this place. They are manipulative and weirdly sensitive and will ask people to do things people are not comfortable doing.. like write a good review on Glassdoor or what is so and so thinking? Or forcing employees to recommend this "hellhole" to potential employees. DO NOT buy into this manipulation.
    - They expect you to overwork and the CEO will question why the studio is so empty at 6:15PM. Well, don't expect your employees to work overtime when you are underpaying them.
    - If you are a designer or a creative, your work will never be allowed to post on your portfolio or shared with anyone. They will not acknowledge your name anywhere and the company and CEO will take all the credit he can.
    - PM or Account, get ready to not be part of any client meetings and in some cases to be told to not speak during a meeting prior to it. But don't worry, you will be expected to handle everything and anything. You would need to handle all the work that the management and leadership are incompetent to do.
    - The leadership fails to trust employees. They will question everything and keep a close eye on everyone. Don't assume they are not watching you and taking notes. The only "HR" you have is taking a close examination of what you are doing and not doing to report to the CEO.

Advice to Management

No advice since they will not listen anyway. Keep blaming it on everyone else but yourselves.

"Comfortable atmosphere & opportunity"

Current Employee - Receptionist
    Current Employee - Receptionist

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Great People.

Daily lunches in the office are usually as a group in the kitchen area. We all work on crosswords and talk, its better than any work lunch experience I've had elsewhere.

Relaxed vibes, music is played and you can make a playlist to share with the studio.

Lost of snacks and drinks to choose from.

They celebrate everyone's b-day. Every single one is planned out for that person, they are all about the person we are celebrating. So NOT just a super market cake and candles.

They care about your opinions.

A whole week off for Christmas.

You learn a lot from experts and they are willing to teach you.

Put in the work and you'll get respect and recognition.

As a receptionist, I do get many opportunities to help on the design team and I take every single one of them.

Cons

General:

Deadlines can be stressful for everyone, but that's typical for all design studios I've worked for. So try not to have hurt feeling if tensions are high around that time.

Receptionist Role:

Receptionist is an hourly position at Hello, meaning no Heath coverage

It's a thankless job, so sometimes it can be tough when someone leaves a mess for you to clean. But, it's important to just not take it personally.

Advice to Management

I think the important thing is to keep asking people what they think. It's a team and everyone's opinion is viable, especially in such a small company.

"Promising outlook"

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

- Smart, clever and creative folks
    - Very free, open environment (no looking over shoulders)
    - Felt taken care of, unlike anything I've experienced
    - Good mix of clients and different types of projects

Cons

- Hours are hit and miss (varying deadlines)
    - Sometimes have to park in the next lot if you show up late

"From a designer"

Current Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

From a designer's perspective Hello has established the fundamentals of good design while also being flexible in pushing the boundaries of the medium. Especially in digital. I've worked in various agencies where you were bound to the "TV spot" and it's refreshing to come to a place where a good idea is a good idea and the execution can live in any medium.

Cons

Not all designers may share the approach I describe above.

"Design your own experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hello Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, centrally located, dog friendly, some good clients. If you can manage yourself and have professional experience you will find a good rhythm here.

Cons

There are growing pains but every agency in the world has them too. Unfortunately, more people complain publicly than those who have nice things to say so take these Glassdoor reviews with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Hire good people and let them do what they are capable of doing. Others might have answers to the questions that consistently come up. Provide room to grow and let careers flourish within your own walls.