Hello Design Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 13, 2019

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Nice people, centrally located, dog friendly, some good clients" (in 6 reviews)

• "The creative was consistently great and I learned a lot about user experience and design in general" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "First of all, many of the five star reviews are fake and were written by management" (in 2 reviews)

• "As anyone clear headed might figure out: except bad reviews, all the reviews are fake or wrote by interns" (in 2 reviews)

1. "designer"

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Good designers and strategy co-workers. Senior management is pretty chill. Devs are quiet. Good range of clients.

Cons

Projects happen fast. Get pulled onto lots of different things.

Advice to Management

Allow more time to focus on projects.

2. "Unacceptable"

I have been working at Hello Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Avoid a gap on your resume

Cons

Honestly the worst place I have ever worked. Mainsplaining and disrespect run rampant, there is a total lack of process and structure, employees receive little to no actionable, articulate feedback, behavior is overwhelmingly immature, and there is constant dispersal of responsibility and blame. It is truly difficult to capture how toxic this environment is and the negative effect it has on people both professionally and personally. I can honestly say I've never been so unhappy in my life since starting at Hello.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at Hello Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some coworkers are nice and hardworking
    Okay pay - but don’t get fooled, they will slave you to death

Cons

The CEO has lost his way. He is the worst leadership I have ever encountered in my entire career. He talks a big game but treats employees with zero respect. He forces employees to work late nights and gets furious if his email doesn’t get answered immediately. His bad management and temperament are enabled by his middle management.

This company’s first employee, who is a respectable Japanese creative director in his 50s, left the company after decades with the company. This tells you the state of the culture this company is at. The Japanese CD worked late nights (sometimes till midnight) on many occasions and still got yelled at with f-word by the CEO.

The CEO has no talent but lip service. He doesn’t treat his employee with respect because he doesn’t mind a company with extreme turnover rate. Go on LinkedIn and look for their past employees. None of them work there for more than a year or two. And most of us, if we worked there for more than a year, that’s because it took us a while to find the next job and we need a paycheck to pay bills. Try and reach out to those employees who left, and get their perspective. I wish I did that when I applied.

One more thing, they write fake five star reviews here. Don’t trust any positive reviews written on the page. Reach out to past employees on LinkedIn and hear it for yourself.

Spread the word and tell your friends who might apply there. It’s the worst company you can ever imagine getting yourself into. Stay away!

Advice to Management

I have given up. The CEO is a maniac and will never listen.

Hello Design Response

Jan 10, 2019 – Hello Design

Thank you for your feedback. When our team brings up areas to improve, we listen and we’ve made many changes as we’ve grown, from expanding our leadership team to upgrading our toolsets to deepening... More

"good mix of people"

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

THere's a good mix of people with different backgrounds and interests. Nice lunch group :) Work environment overall is cool and chill. Not many egos.

Cons

Not many so far. Parking sometimes can be tough.

"Toxic, Manipulative work culture and CEO"

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Truly there are none aside from being able to meet some amazing co-workers (not management they are truly the worst) who work way to hard for an employer that does not care for their well-being at all.

Cons

First of all, many of the five star reviews are fake and were written by management.
    Very telling about how manipulative the CEO and partners are, and how they would rather cover up their issues with a band-aid rather then truly address the problems they cause within their own company.

CEO
    - The epitome of toxic masculinity
    - micro-manages to the point that employees cannot do their jobs
    - re-uses ideas from previous pitches on newer clients and tries to convince himself that and new hires that their agency is "innovative"
    - has made people cry
    - Condescending and manipulative (will talk over you, yell, etc.)
    - Constantly watching and hovering.
    - Poor time management. Constantly waiting for him to show up to meetings. Making last minute changes to the projects because he wasn't paying attention.
    - Would attempt to start drama between employees by pulling each aside and telling them different things about the same projects. Having them work against each other as opposed to collaborating.

I think this has been one of the most anxiety inducing work environments I've ever been in. The office is run by fear of being fired and yelled at. Other partners will not stand up to the CEO and will put blame on others to protect themselves.

Advice to Management

Please learn to appreciate your employees. Thank them but also be aware that a work life balance is important and the idea that "hard work" = long hours, not sleeping, and anxiety is toxic.

"Nice Folks"

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

- Really nice co-workers
    - Good environment (music, dogs, food/drinks), chill vibe
    - Interesting clients all big names, great for portfolio
    - Clear direction and task assignment
    - Good work/life balance

Cons

- Onboarding was fast
    - Sometimes a little quiet
    - Longer hours once in a while (if on deadline)

Advice to Management

- Would be good to have more activities to work with other team members
    - More company events
    - Even more dogs :)

"I have never been so miserable working for a company in my entire life"

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Dogs and their owners.

Cons

- Work for Hello if you enjoy burnouts!
    - There is ZERO onboarding so everyone is constantly making things up as they go.
    - Highest turnover rate I've ever witnessed in my career.

The leadership team loves to throw tantrums and play the blame game to protect themselves when things go wrong. AND they'll claim your hard work as their own. You'll NEVER get the credit for anything. WAY TO BOOST EMPLOYEE MORALE.

PLEASE stop it with the fake "positive" reviews.

Lastly, I've had better coffee at car dealerships.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They won't listen.

"Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Account Director
    Former Employee - Account Director

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

If you are a go-getter, motivated, and want experience leading/delivering a wide variety of project types then Hello Is for you. Lot of opportunity for personal and professional growth.

Leadership team composed of super smart, strategic thinkers who have a deep understanding of brands, consumer behavior, culture, and design.

Build your personal rep with the solid roster of brands Hello attracts.

Cons

Honestly, the biggest con I had during my time at Hello were some of the more toxic folks that managed to slip into the agency…fortunately they soon left….Hello has standards (work hard and deliver smart work!) which from what I saw weeded out those folks quickly.

"So many RED FLAGS!"

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Employees were nice, great snacks, fun work outings

Cons

ZERO on-boarding, everyone is new (turn around is a revolving door), higher ups are swamped so no time for meetings or one-on-ones, working 12-18 hour days and no overtime (they just expect you to always stay late), CEO is a micro-manager (needs everyone to agree with his ideas and needs to change everything last minute)

Advice to Management

Take time to on-board all your new employees. Take time to meet with your team and go over projects. Communicate better with employees. Find a better strategy for approval methods. And when you let someone go a simple email is better than a speech about everything they did wrong (be respectable to their privacy).

"One of the best places I've worked for in my career"

I worked at Hello Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great studio culture with nice people that are fun to be around. People smile and are actually friendly. Good mix of clients and depending on what you work on you get a lot of freedom to pitch ideas and bring them to life. Never had an idea shot down. Management gives good guidance (usually need to ask) and I always walked away feeling better about the work. Very high bar for performance. No slackers.

Cons

There was a short period of some toxic energy amongst some of the staff but I'm pretty sure those folks are gone (or got the boot).

Depending on who your manager is you may need to be more proactive in keeping one-on-ones/checkins.