Hello Design Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Nice Folks"

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

- Really nice co-workers
    - Good environment (music, dogs, food/drinks), chill vibe
    - Interesting clients all big names, great for portfolio
    - Clear direction and task assignment
    - Good work/life balance

Cons

- Onboarding was fast
    - Sometimes a little quiet
    - Longer hours once in a while (if on deadline)

Advice to Management

- Would be good to have more activities to work with other team members
    - More company events
    - Even more dogs :)

"Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Account Director
    Former Employee - Account Director

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

If you are a go-getter, motivated, and want experience leading/delivering a wide variety of project types then Hello Is for you. Lot of opportunity for personal and professional growth.

Leadership team composed of super smart, strategic thinkers who have a deep understanding of brands, consumer behavior, culture, and design.

Build your personal rep with the solid roster of brands Hello attracts.

Cons

Honestly, the biggest con I had during my time at Hello were some of the more toxic folks that managed to slip into the agency…fortunately they soon left….Hello has standards (work hard and deliver smart work!) which from what I saw weeded out those folks quickly.

"So many RED FLAGS!"

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Employees were nice, great snacks, fun work outings

Cons

ZERO on-boarding, everyone is new (turn around is a revolving door), higher ups are swamped so no time for meetings or one-on-ones, working 12-18 hour days and no overtime (they just expect you to always stay late), CEO is a micro-manager (needs everyone to agree with his ideas and needs to change everything last minute)

Advice to Management

Take time to on-board all your new employees. Take time to meet with your team and go over projects. Communicate better with employees. Find a better strategy for approval methods. And when you let someone go a simple email is better than a speech about everything they did wrong (be respectable to their privacy).

"The most toxic work environment I've ever experienced"

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

Quick interview and hiring process

Cons

Abusive and clueless upper management with the worst case of mansplaining I've ever experienced. Complete lack of clear communication, project expectations, and creative direction. Projects are haphazard and lack planning/process. Absolutely no respect for employees and co-workers. Instead of an atmosphere of support and understanding, there is a pervasive atmosphere of fear and distrust. No cohesion, organization, mentorship nor room for growth....you spend most of your time just trying to stay alive.

"One of the best places I've worked for in my career"

I worked at Hello Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great studio culture with nice people that are fun to be around. People smile and are actually friendly. Good mix of clients and depending on what you work on you get a lot of freedom to pitch ideas and bring them to life. Never had an idea shot down. Management gives good guidance (usually need to ask) and I always walked away feeling better about the work. Very high bar for performance. No slackers.

Cons

There was a short period of some toxic energy amongst some of the staff but I'm pretty sure those folks are gone (or got the boot).

Depending on who your manager is you may need to be more proactive in keeping one-on-ones/checkins.

"Talented Coworkers, Horrible Management."

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

- Smart, talented, underpaid coworkers who are treated badly just like you are
    - Cute dogs

Cons

- Turnaround is the worst I've ever seen, almost the entire team has changed out in the last couple years
    - No onboarding/orientation/training whatsoever
    - You're expected to do multiple people's jobs while you're getting underpaid for your own
    - Yes, they do post fake Glassdoor reviews to counteract the real ones (there's probably going to be three 5-star ones after this)
    - Upper management is absolutely clueless, especially to anything that's happening in the studio and constantly makes excuses to cover their own mistakes
    - Upper management constantly underbids projects, overpromises to client, and then turns on the team when we can't deliver on a near impossible schedule
    - Managing partners will regurgitate whatever the Creative Director/CEO says
    - Also why does one person have a title that includes Creative Director & CEO when he can't even do the job of a simple intern?
    - All in all, if you work here, you'll be working for a group of rich kids who met in college, never worked at a design agency, and for some reason thought they could run one.

Advice to Management

Nothing. Your employees (current and former) have told you over and over and over again but all of you seem to put your hands over your ears and hum your own brainless mantra until the entire team switches out again and nobody's the wiser.

"Designer"

I worked at Hello Design full-time

Pros

I've had a really positive experience at Hello.

Some good clients.

The people that work here are pretty great.

Nice office nice furniture.

Some intense moments with workflow, but not bad overall.

Cons

It's like any other agency where client demands shape the ebb and flow of work.

Advice to Management

Try to build lower levels of leadership.

"A Wild Ride!"

I have been working at Hello Design full-time

Pros

I work with a solid team: people are talented, hardworking, and friendly. It is a dog friendly environment and they make you feel very special on your birthday. I get to work with a good variety of clients, most of which are big name companies.

Cons

It's a small studio. A lot of us juggle multiple projects on any given day, and that can be stressful. Resourcing and scheduling are at times challenging. Over the years, people come and go for different reasons, and sometimes the turnovers can be demoralizing and saddening to the team especially since we rely on each other so much.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in more independent, self-sufficient teams. The team thrive with clear structure, process, and expectations. Trust the team and let them grow.

"Not perfect, but improving"

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Hello Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Coworkers are all wonderful people. It's easy to work with other designers and learn from each other in this environment
    - Dog friendly
    - Waffle Wednesdays (be sure to thank the person who makes them)
    - Studio picks up interesting client work - always a good variety of projects going on
    - Relatively good hours for designers at an agency

Cons

- High turnover rate - it hurts when people you love working with leave
    - Some client teams are more organized than others
    - We don't have an HR department
    - Scheduling is sometimes messy because some people completely ignore resourcing calendars

Advice to Management

- Those of us who have been here for a while miss having quarterly team-building events!
    - Foster more independent teams. The employees who currently work on teams that run on their own tend to be happier and more successful in their day-to-day work

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Hello Design full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Hard Working individuals
    -Plenty of projects to work on
    -Great company atmosphere
    -WAFFLE WEDNESDAYS!!!!

Cons

-Parking situations are a bit difficult sometimes