Hello Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

Hello Labs Reviews

3.9
Sean Biganski & Steve McIntosh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Small company with big plans and progressive ideas"

I have been working at Hello Labs full-time

Pros

Work from home - over half of the employees are remote (within US, not outsourced). Small company atmosphere. There is always work to be done and ideas for improvement are encouraged. Very good benefits package that includes unlimited PTO and workers are encouraged to take as much as they need. Ownership is always looking to innovate not just their products but also how the company is run and the tools used daily.

Cons

It can be hard to keep up and will require someone that is capable of knowing their limits and when to take a step back. A lot of stressful situations working in a fast paced business. Customers aren't always the most understanding.

Advice to Management

There is always room for improvement. Never stop iterating.

"Startup culture with established company stability."

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Hello Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great work life balance, unlimited days off, and overtime is not encouraged.

-Great co-workers, they really follow the "No a**hole" rule when it comes to hiring.

-Work from home, the majority of the team is remote. (can be a con to some people)

-It's a family business and employees are treated like so. Management is very reasonable and flexible.

-Current team of developers cares about their craft, and are constantly making improvements to the products and processes.

-Good benefits (health, dental, 401k) for a small company.

-It's a small team and you can make significant impact on the company and product.

Cons

-It's a niche industry and it takes a while to understand all the different players, regulations, acronyms, etc...

-The existing (legacy) product consists of millions of lines of Perl using a mix of different conventions, standards, and ideologies. It's is a huge pain to understand and maintain.

-The legacy product is still buggy which leads to weekly "fire drills".

-The legacy development team is relatively new to the code base, and there is little to no documentation. Very few people understand how the entire system is supposed to work.

Advice to Management

Focus on sunsetting the existing product to consolidate efforts under a single product.

"Lead Software Developer"

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer
    Current Employee - Lead Software Developer

I have been working at Hello Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote. Flexible schedule. Management knows and understands our systems, and the complexity that they involve. They have been very willing to listen to the teams desire to fix or rework problem areas, and at times have surprised me by actually requesting it even when it means features must be delayed. Everybody has been fun and nice to work with. The Ruby team, of which I'm a part of, is very senior and very good.

Cons

If you work on the legacy product, you are in for a difficult time. The company is still somewhat inexperienced at running a remote team, but they have committed to a remote team.

Advice to Management

Get the employees more invested in the company's outcome.

"Management and atmosphere summed up in one word: Unkind"

I worked at Hello Labs full-time

Pros

work from home in your pajamas, no travel, can come into the office in pajamas

Cons

I'll preface this by saying this was the absolute worst experience I have ever had with an employer, and that includes waitressing in college.

The cons fall into 4 categories and add up to being a bad place to work.

THE WORK: The company has an established product in a niche market with little, if any competition. When a bug pops up in the software, whoever is available fixes it. That really is it. There are no alternate streams of business, no plans for expansion (not that regular employees would know - see "Management"), no growth, opportunities to learn, etc. We fix bugs in our product. The end. if you are looking to be a part of something exciting, this is definitely not it. If you are looking to expand your skill set - also not it.

THE TOOLS: Ridiculous. There are dozens, literally dozens of separate and unhelpful tools - one to praise your colleagues, one to post an idea, and a bunch to ask a question. Email is not used, and its use discouraged (see "Fitting In"). Communication is done by IM, which has a whopping 80+ chat rooms dedicated to supposedly separate topics, not to mention the 1:1 IMs. It's impossible to find anything or to follow up, and there is no such thing as professional communication, tasking, etc. The incessant chatter is overwhelming. A lot of it is pointless - baby pictures, stupid memes, references to TV shows. It is very important to post just the right amount of Star Wars references and kitten videos. Again, see "Fitting In." IM-ing in a way that isn't "right" is very bad. Obviously there is no definition or explanation of how to use this "right" - people who get it, just "get it." People who don't, aren't a "fit."

THE MANAGEMENT: This is a family business, in the worst sense. I have never had a job where no one on the management team took any interest in me whatsoever or bothered to welcome or include me in any way at all. There is a general annoyance with questions, anything that could indicate that a new employee "doesn't get it" and what seems to be an expectation of mind reading. "Girlie" functions alike HR and accounting are farmed out to wives and relatives of the owners, with obvious results. There are no processes or standard operating procedures, and contrary to lip service, no desire for any. More than one person is hired for 1 role and then whoever isn't the "winner" is fired. With no vacation accrual, good luck! I truly have no idea why I was hired - my "competitor" was part of the network so was the obvious choice. It was never made clear, even though I asked repeatedly, what exactly I was supposed to be doing. Only family knows anything.

FITTING IN: This is really the only thing that matters and also an impossibility unless you are already a relative or friend of several people who work here. At first it seems easy - everyone's wearing pajama bottoms and vintage band tees. Plus you're hired, so they must like you. Right? But upon closer inspection it becomes apparent that only certain types of cartoons or kitten videos or whatever are "a fit." Figuring out how exactly to fit in, IM, and ironically comment in chats to be acceptable only to be told that you're not doing it right - as an adult! at work! is laughable. The fact that your career and family financial security depends not on your work or integrity but on some tenuous perception of your dorkiness-but-kinda-coolness-in-a-hipster-wannabe-way was incredibly stressful and demoralizing. Absolutely awful work environment.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring "outside" people, just hire your friends and family. Hire 1 person for 1 job. Think about the fact that you are dealing with actual people, for whom work is imperative and not a hobby or social club. Give people the opportunity and the tools to succeed. Try to remember that no one can fit in where they are not wanted.

"Needs Improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Hello Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to learn and hone skills. Fast paced tech savvy team.
    Flexible job, "not career" type place to work.

Cons

No HR, no plans to get one. High turnover rate. Not many stay long. 1-3 years at best. No employer loyalty. Benefits were nice gestures. Beer and movies instead of benefits that matter. No acceptance of different personalities types except their own, hence the reason for no HR I guess. Weird environment between management and employees outside of the clique. Small company. No employee growth. Promotion only between the clique club.

Advice to Management

Big ego's ruin everything. Try to be like your past endeavors.

Jul 21, 2015 – CTO

Thank you for the honest feedback. Excluding employees hired within the past 12 months, our average tenure is 4.5 years. As a testament to employee happiness and longevity, it should be noted that... More

"I'm never leaving."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Hello Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture is fantastic. There is a true sense of "team" here unlike any other place I've worked. We all genuinely like spending time together both at work and extracurricularly. There is an emphasis on health, fitness, work/life balance, family, good food and just general positivity. I am always challenged. I am always learning new things and solving new puzzles. There are endless ways to contribute. Training and attending conferences is encouraged. Need a supply of some kind? Just ask, you'll get it. I seriously don't want to have to work anywhere else... ever.

Cons

The products we develop and support are extremely complex. We are extremely agile and therefore tend to change our approach frequently which can be frustrating to some. There's room for improvement. We are growing into working well with our remote teams - also room for improvement.

Advice to Management

If you had on-site daycare, I might seriously never leave.

"So-So"

Pros

Flexible work schedule/location. Ability to work from home.

Cons

Clique-ish, resistant to process improvements.

Jun 4, 2015 – CTO

Thanks for the honest review. Cliques within a company are sometimes inevitable but feedback is welcomed on how this could be changed. We don't want any walls to exist.

Regarding process... More

"Growing company with a great attitude."

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Hello Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very forward facing company with a strong desire to do right by employees, stay on top of new technologies, apply best practices, and build a better workplace. Down to earth ownership and management that gives and promotes feedback on policies and decisions.

Cons

Established in the industry (10 years) but growing quickly so some processes, including onboarding, are still being roughed out. This could be a pro as well depending on your perspective.

Advice to Management

Keep flushing out the onboarding process. We want to see the company grow at a healthy pace and continue to gain market share in this and other markets. We want to get up to speed asap in order to help.

Keep getting feedback from people at every stage of employment. You have an amazing team and they are gunning for BeQuick to kick butt as a better and better company/family.

Jun 4, 2015 – CTO

Thanks for the advice regarding onboarding and obtaining feedback. Both of these are hot topics for us.

We recently created a new position in the company that will oversee all things Training and... More

"Life at BeQuick"

Current Employee - Director of the Borg in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Director of the Borg in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Hello Labs full-time

Pros

Projects! Projects! Projects! You always have something to do, every day is like leading a tiny fleet of ships into the world. You always have a new course to take or rewrite the course you were on before with new information. Your ability to work takes priority in all aspects. They respect you as a person not as a number, sometimes you can't control life and BeQuick knows that. Car problems, kid problems or basic life problems they are always ready to move things around to make sure you are comforatble to work. We don't carry badges to walk around our own building which makes you feel like cattle being tagged in a range, we are treated as human beings and most importantly like family.

Cons

I only have one con after working at BeQuick for so long. We like to hand out titles to make people feel important, we are such a small company that sometimes those titles make certain people think they have power and forget we are still a small company and all work together on everything. We also need to upgrade and get some ps4's.

Advice to Management

Management has always done it's part to keep the ship moving forward so please keep it moving forward.

"One developers story on working at BeQuick"

Current Employee - Senõr Developer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Senõr Developer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Hello Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership. The key to having a strong army is strong leadership. Understanding. New projects are always full of unknowns. BeQuick knows this and support all efforts. Perks. Fun company events, great people and the entertainment never runs out. Family. While there are many employees who are related to each other, we all feel like family.

Cons

Deadlines, but who doesn't have deadlines? Nobody plays ping pong anymore :( And we still haven't upgraded to PS4's.

Advice to Management

Buy PS4's.