Helmer Scientific Reviews | Glassdoor

Bruce King

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company"

I have been working at Helmer Scientific full-time

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, upper management, 401(k), growth opportunities, fast environment, internship program, generosity program

Cons

Work life balance, training, turnover

2. "Good company"

I worked at Helmer Scientific full-time

Pros

Family oriented and charitable company.

Cons

Sales were over promising what production could handle

3. "Excellent Organisation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noblesville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noblesville, IN

I worked at Helmer Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! Very supportive management and production Team

Cons

Organizational Struture is not very well defined, but management is working on it

"Not what they appear to be"

I worked at Helmer Scientific full-time

Pros

Glad to not be affiliated with this organization anymore. Years ago when the owner was still involved with the day to day operations it was a good place to work. Once he handed it over to Bruce King to run, that is when things changed.

Cons

Helmer treats their hourly employees poorly. Management acts like everyone is a family, but this is really not the case. They are a very top heavy company that rewards middle and upper management with a quarterly bonus. Hourly workers get an end of year bonus that never pays out until somewhere in the first quarter of the following year. This bonus is not even equivalent to a weeks pay after taxes. There is a lot of favoritism and nepotism within the company. They keep hiring expensive people when they are currently having financial issues and thinking that this will save them. They push people to get degrees and if someone does not want to go to school they are black balled.
    They are overly pushy on their donation and volunteering agenda. Production workers don't make a lot of money at Helmer, and they are always wanting for the employees to donate donate donate to various charities. They work people to the bone and when it comes to raises, they get pennies. The raises are based on reviews, and once again it is a matter of whether they like you. Not based on whether you do a good job. Overall not a good place of employment.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your management dead weight. There is quite a bit of it. Quit running off your knowledgeable employees.

5. "Service Coordinator"

I worked at Helmer Scientific (More than a year)

Pros

Work & Life Balance is Great!

Cons

They are quickly shifting to large corporate mentality that is damaging to both their employees and customers.

May 12, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you experienced great work life balance at Helmer. We also appreciate your thoughts on our culture and acknowledge that Helmer continues to mature... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Helmer Scientific (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was decent/ok, facility is clean and well-organized, many really good people work there and some long tenures, focus on quality, products are pleasing to the eye, manufacturing seems well-run and respectful to employees. I liked how manufacturing was being done in Indiana rather than a foreign country which could easily happen. Helpful toward employees that need assistance.

Cons

"Anti-sales" undercurrent of resentment/treatment toward sales people, respectful to employees if they want you there - if not, then you are ignored as no patience for differing opinions from leadership (they are the smartest in the room), too much focus on getting low-paid employees to donate limited time and money to charitable events and not enough focus on growing the company and rewarding success. Over-staffed and bloated in a few areas with weak accountability toward results, unless you are a sales person. Say something negative or critical, your career is done so not a culture of openness.

Advice to Management

Sales people are important, you should include them in meetings and respect their opinions. Collaboration, diversity and openness to differing opinions need to be encouraged. Fix the anti-sales culture if you want to retain good talent in the future. Your people should be the smartest people in the room, not you (leader).

May 12, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to producing high quality products. We also value and respect each person that works with us in every area of the organization. We’re sorry you didn’t... More

7. "Pick and pack"

Current Employee - Pick and Pack in Noblesville, IN
    Current Employee - Pick and Pack in Noblesville, IN

I have been working at Helmer Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have very good benefits

Cons

Long 10 hours 4 days a week

May 12, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your continued employment with us. We pride ourselves in offering as much choice to employee benefits as possible. The 4 by 10 schedule was created with the input of employees to... More

8. "Technical Service Technician"

Current Employee - TECHNICAL SERVICE TECHNICIAN in Noblesville, IN
    Current Employee - TECHNICAL SERVICE TECHNICIAN in Noblesville, IN

Pros

best of both worlds. Desk work and shop work

Cons

It can suck the life out of you taking calls from angry (rightfully so) customers that have problems with their products

Advice to Management

None

May 12, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your continued employment with Helmer. We appreciate your perspective. Your role is very important in supporting our customers AND we acknowledge the toll it can take to respond to... More

9. "Marketing Intern"

Pros

Very good company atmosphere, friendly people, open door policy

Cons

Pay could be a little more, at times I felt like the job I was doing was repetitive and boring

May 12, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed our atmosphere and people; we appreciate both. We hope you gained marketable skills during your internship experience.

"Production worker"

I have been working at Helmer Scientific full-time

Pros

They do a lot of philanthropic activities.

Cons

Unsafe environment, bureaucratic nonsense, hypocritical rules and actions of management, skill and ability do not affect pay, lazy workers commended.

Advice to Management

Stop working your employees to the bone so you can get bonuses.

May 12, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your comments. We’re sorry that you have not had a very positive experience working with us. Our number one priority is employee safety and we have a dedicated resource to focus on... More