Helmerich & Payne Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 31, 2016

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Lindsay

Pros
  • Good pay and no education necessary (in 8 reviews)

• H&P is a great company to work for they have some of the best benefits a person could ask for as well as job place ment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You are away from home for 14 days 91st a time but then you are home for 14 days that is about the only down side I can think of right now (in 3 reviews)

• It's hard work, but you are compensated for it (in 4 reviews)

"Corporate changed in a negative way"

Former Employee - Engineering Clerk in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Engineering Clerk in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Helmerich & Payne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary
    At the edge of downtown so you don't have to drive into the middle of downtown. Finding pros for this company is a stretch.

Cons

When Hans retired everything changed. They hired consultants to come in to teach how to micro-manage. They say they are family oriented but don't be a single parent and use all your sick days or else it's grounds for termination. They also don't have maternity leave. You have to use your vacation & sick days which is the complete opposite of their "family oriented" company image. Worst HR department I've ever experienced. Communication between departments is non-existent. Loyalty doesn't mean anything to them. Hired way too many people before the oil prices dropped then had to layoff good employees who actually cared about their job because they made too much $. Company spent years building so many rigs but didn't know how to run their business effective internally.

Advice to Management

I'd give advice but they wouldn't listen. If your name isn't John Lindsay then it doesn't matter what your opinion is.

"Worst company I have ever worked for and currently looking for another job"

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Helmerich & Payne full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Summer hours, work location, summer hours, possible travel

Cons

Worst company I have ever worked for. Supply chain department is the worst. They only promote the weak, this company is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. A few months ago they brought in two new managers that have no knowledge in supply chain department what so ever. These two got their position because they were liked by the main Vice president. One of the managers is stuck up and will only talk to you if he likes you...such a joke. Supervisors are all a joke, the only reason they made it to that position is because of sucking up not by hard work and knowledge. All managers make you feel like your lucky to have a job and you need to sit back and say yes sir, yes mam otherwise your life is in jeopardy.

Advice to Management

Treat others how you want to be treated. Get rid of all management.

"Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Helmerich & Payne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours are good
    Good location

Cons

Management
    Supervisors
    Upper management
    HR department
    Salary
    Value
    Culture

Advice to Management

My advice would be to get rid of everyone in any supervisor and management position and start over with people who have morals and value. The supervisors and management are snakes. If you suck up they will love you. If you work hard and are looking to advance they will find a reason to chase you off or fire you before you can move up. They hate to see people doing well for fear of you taking their position. I would never recommend this company to my worst enemy. This company is a joke now that John Lindsay has taken over. When Hans was the CEO I felt valued. Now they make you fearful of losing your job every day you come into work. Working here the last few years was hell. There is no room to move up and no raises or bonuses. The place treats their employees awful and has no respect for anyone.

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Helmerich & Payne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Use to be a great company but not anymore! The culture was very family oriented and their was an abundance of trust.

Cons

The trust is no longer there. Management has gone off th deep end. The company no longer cares about their employees and back stabbers are adjusting for their own position. It is a very sad work environment.

Advice to Management

Clean house of the Managers quickly or the company is a sinking ship. A company that doesn't play games with others lives needs to come and buy them out.

"the company is not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Derrickman in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Derrickman in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The pay is alright. The iron is decent

Cons

They laid me off after 7 years, then turned around and said i quit to keep me off unemployment. They covered up multiple fatalities, they are not to be trusted

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better... they are thevreason for your success. You seem to have forgotten that since hans passed.

7. "Maintenance"

Former Employee - Rig Electrician in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Rig Electrician in Midland, TX

I worked at Helmerich & Payne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work a lot of hours

Cons

Low pay for skilled tradesmen The company itself thinks, that they anyone can perform electrical work with the help from there call center, and therefore pay raises are very few and far apart.

"Too many cliques and suck ups"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Decent pay, and benefits. Have some good and hardworking people to work with. Good work setting and office is very well kept.

Cons

Too many suck ups and cliques. They don't care how hardworking employees are as long as they know who to suck up to then you're fine. Management often ignores issues that are being addressed.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to cut on their mid level supervisors. Too many supervisors in some departments. Some of them only supervise one or two personnel which I find as a big joke

"Great pay, poor culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Helmerich & Payne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great bonus with light workload. No late nights and no working weekends.

Cons

Everyone focused on self-interest. Bonus is great when given however their is no formula or consistency on how its given.

Advice to Management

Better alignment towards company goals

"Family and friends click"

Current Employee - Offshore Floorhand
    Current Employee - Offshore Floorhand

I have been working at Helmerich & Payne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Time off and the pay is nice.

Cons

Too much of a family and friends click and gossip goes on too much. Sometimes the supervision doesn't always go by the rules which frustrates me to no end. There is a lot of hypocrisy that goes on.

Advice to Management

When something is said don't go back on it and don't pick when to go by the rules and procedures and when someone lower than you in position suggests something, or about safety don't let your self pride get in the way of a better idea or your and everyone safety. That's what stops company growth and what kills people (SELF PRIDE).