HelpSystems Reviews | Glassdoor

HelpSystems CEO Chris Heim
Chris Heim
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • HelpSystems is a great company with a great culture, and it is only getting better (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, great culture, great opportunity for career growth due to the growth the company has been going through (in 6 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great learning experience, but the internal politics became overbearing."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at HelpSystems full-time

Pros

Great products, great people, great customers, environment and culture for the most part the best in the business, some great perks.

Cons

Internal politics, the people who are the CEO favorites are killing moral. Continuing to reward people for under performing, blaming, and not being accountable is bringing down the moral of the people who are doing great things for the products and the customer base.

Advice to Management

Need to get rid of the people that are destroying moral of the great performers. Reward the good people with career advancement and meaningful job titles.

2. "Great, if you're looking to simply be content with going to work every day"

I worked at HelpSystems full-time (More than a year)

The bar is set low
    They are profitable

Cons

You will not grow as an employee, until you move on
    Not challenging
    Everything about the company is 90s - the people, the products, the mindset

Advice to Management

Stop promoting from within
    Google "The Peter Principle"
    Bring in senior staff that is capable of challenging and bringing the best out of employees

Dec 23, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. We are sorry that you did not find the work challenging. There are some positions that tend to good places to get your foot in the door but many people in these positions... More

"Great place to do work, but not necessarily to grow"

I worked at HelpSystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The perks are amazing: casual dress, personal office, free food, and lots of fun. Because of a great manager, I was given the opportunity to grow and learn the things I wanted to. It was the best of times, and it was the worst of times.

Cons

HelpSystems was one of the most political workplaces I have ever been part of. You often find yourself wondering if you can trust the management over you because of the sudden, emotional decisions they make without data behind them. This is not true for all departments, but it was true for mine. The closed door whispering meetings that kept those doing the actual work out of the loop were divisional and unproductive.

Advice to Management

Trust your managers, yes. You put them in power for a reason, but don't forget about the people below them. Their opinion is often more important because they are the ones doing the manual work behind these decisions.

Jan 25, 2016 – CEO

We appreciate the feedback. We work hard to gather the opinions of everyone through business unit meetings, our anonymous feedback links on our intranet and frequent surveys. We also work hard to... More

"Company is constantly changing direction and workload expectation is high."

I worked at HelpSystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Benefits Package is great compared to other companies. Employees are generally nice and super helpful.

Cons

Management is constantly changing procedures/processes. As soon as you get used to the changes they are changed again. This company is also constantly looking to cut expenses which ever way possible. This leads to overworked and stressed out employees. If you get acquired half of the staff will be laid off followed by a second or possibly even a third round of layoffs. Also if you get acquired you will not have any onsite administrative services. So if you need anything, you'll have to wait until someone in HQ has time.

There is also no growth opportunity. Everyone has a specific job and there is no branching out. If you would like to be considered for a management position you better be working at the Eden Prairie location, otherwise it will never happen.

Executives and upper management only look at the final numbers and ignore anything else. If the final numbers aren't to their expectations someone will pay. Employees feel like they can be replaced at any time.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore the "little gears" that help the company move along just because they're not the ones who are bringing in large sums of money to the company.

Aug 3, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to review your time at HelpSystems. We do have a culture of continuous improvement at HelpSystems so if a process is not working, we will change it until it does. Many of... More

5. "Okay if you know how to manage & live with politics and growing pains"

I have been working at HelpSystems full-time

Pros

Being a smaller company, I've had oppotunities to get my hands in a lot of projects. There are often fringe benefits that many other companies cut with the most recent recession; including bonus vacation days.

Cons

The politics that occur, especially at the manager and executive levels, can be unnecessary. If you can find a way to deal with the politics, you can succeed.

6. "Decisions are made with little regard for data"

I worked at HelpSystems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people in the ranks who are smart and work hard

Cons

Management changes direction with the wind. Not much regard for actual data when looking to the future. If someone falls out of favor, they are let go or pressured to leave.There are the favorites of the CEO who are too afraid to fall out of favor so they just follow along and don't recommend change or disagree with plans.

Advice to Management

Focus on the core business and the core people who made the company great.

7. "Lots of Industry Consolidation"

I worked at HelpSystems full-time

Pros

Its a great company to work for if you work at HQ in Eden Prairie MN. They seemed to have a great culture there.

Cons

Help/Systems has purchased more than a half dozen smaller software companies over the last several years. Sadly, Help/Systems has decided to let almost every employee go from all of the companies that they decide to purchase.

Advice to Management

Be honest with the employees at the companies you are buying up. If you are going to lay off all of the employees, that is fine, but dont host a company meeting in which you say "nothing is going to change" and then a month later come back and let a large portion of the work force go.